Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do

Options
  • 05-08-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

I know there's hungrier baby formula but what do you do if baby is on lactose intolerant milk or soy milk? I know there's spoon feeding but baby still needs bottles and I notice specially with the one before bed its just not filling him like it used to. :-/

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Nutramigen?
    How old is the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

He's 4 months now and it's only the last two weeks that he is waking up a few times a night again he used to sleep all night from 6 weeks on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

He could be going through a developmental leap. There's a huge one around 4 months. This leap can lead to a big disruption in sleep. Look up the wonder weeks and 4 month sleep regression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

SS my almost 4 month old is waking up every hour or every couple of hours at night. Its a nightmare as he was also a good sleeper.

Definitely a wonder week but god i hope it doesnt last too much longer...hubby and myself are like 2 zombies :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

If he's waking up distressed it could be the onset of teething. Mine had symptoms from 4months even though some of them didn't pop teeth til months later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Have you increased the amont in his bottles? Maybe even his last two bottles could be 8oz. How many oz is he on?

Or maybe could you give 6 6 oz bottles instead of 5 7oz?

I think you are right to hold off on the spoonfeeding, don't listen to the ould wans 'sure put a bit of rice in the bottle'.!

he's already hit the teething stage but it never bothers him at night. His last bottle he might only take 3 oz if I'm lucky..

I'm really unsure about the rice in the bottle..

maybe its sleep regression its been since the hot weather really which is over a month now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do not put rice in his bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Honestly, disrupted sleep is just a fact of life for the first 18 months. Our fella started sleeping through around a year old but every 4-6 weeks something would happen (teething, a leap, illness) and he'd start waking up again for maybe a week or two. Then it would settle down again for another while.

We've only seen this settle down **I say with firmly crossed fingers** since he turned 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What is he like when he wakes? Will he wolf down a bottle or want to play or scream the place down? How long is he awake for? Do you bath him at night?

Could try 3Oz, bath then the rest of the bottle?

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What is he like when he wakes? Will he wolf down a bottle or want to play or scream the place down? How long is he awake for? Do you bath him at night?

Could try 3Oz, bath then the rest of the bottle?

When he wakes during the early mornin he Wolfe's it down then sleep again and next time he wakes he plays. And some nights I bath him other nights he falls asleep before you get a chance could be 7p.m. Or 10p.m.
    Like just now he drank 2oz and off to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its hard to know isnt it?

It looks like he is hungry in the early hours which makes sense.

There may be something stopping him from finishing his last bottle, of course you cant force him and his little tum can only hold so much but maybe if you jiggle his evening nap or moving the bottle to 2 hours before bed so he is not so wrecked.

I used to find my happy little guy was full of life and by the time I got sorted out and ready to get his last feed into him he would have switched into a zombie in the space of 30 mins. I tried moving his feed earlier and he'd just play with my clothes and laugh up into my face!

Oh he's a little giggler always playin and laughing which is troublesome at feeding time he watches you laughing even though you don't talk to him to fuel it. We had success since his 8 p.m. Feed we woke him at half 11 and he drank it all and put him back to bed and took him 5 mins talkin to fall asleep again

So 4-5 weeks and DS is worse at night not better how long can it last

Same here. Ive had to express milk so hubby can take over some nights as I'm totally exhausted :(

I'm at a loss he's up three to four times a night now. And been pregnant again I'm finding gettin up so hard and then I can't get back to sleep myself. Am totally at a loss he was brilliant at night before this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

SS my LO is 17 weeks (19 weeks corrected) and literally the last two nights she has gone back to 10-7 like she used to sleep. Since about 13 weeks when she entered the fourth developmental leap her sleep has been up and down. Unfortunately there seems to be nothing you can do but ride it out, hopefully he goes back to his previous routine soon. From what I've read these regressions can last from 2-6 weeks. As it is we're crossing our fingers she's come out the other side but counting on nothing!

Two friends of mine who have older children both said the fourth leap they remember being the worst so things can only get easier ;)

Yeah I'm just riding it out at the moment. He's 18weeks now so hoping for an improvement after next week. *crosses everything*!!!

And what number growth thingy are we on now?? Oh dear god there's more.. J is 19 weeks tomorrow and my cousins is 7 weeks older and has NEVER went off sleep pattern (she just has it hard gettin her to sleep-into the buggy and walk at any time of the day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

I know there's hungrier baby formula but what do you do if baby is on lactose intolerant milk or soy milk? I know there's spoon feeding but baby still needs bottles and I notice specially with the one before bed its just not filling him like it used to. :-/

Any suggestions?

Does the baby take breast milk at all?

• Advertisement

Nope just formula and it's soy milk too

And what number growth thingy are we on now?? Oh dear god there's more.. J is 19 weeks tomorrow and my cousins is 7 weeks older and has NEVER went off sleep pattern (she just has it hard gettin her to sleep-into the buggy and walk at any time of the day)

The fourth leap. Look up the wonder weeks on google or if you have an iPhone or android get the wonder weeks free app. Babies are affected to varying degrees, I never noticed the other leaps before this one but if your baby is behaving differently with sleep etc at certain times chances are they are going through a leap/growth spurt etc.

I'm at a loss he's up three to four times a night now. And been pregnant again I'm finding gettin up so hard and then I can't get back to sleep myself. Am totally at a loss he was brilliant at night before this

Would you consider going back to the doctor that put him on the soy milk and see if he would be able to change to something else? Are you having a problem with the milk or is it that he's awake often for feeds?

Thanks digs will look later when j is in better mood today is a bad day..

He loves the milk just wakes often. And lets himself get over tired

Thanks digs will look later when j is in better mood today is a bad day..

He loves the milk just wakes often. And lets himself get over tired

To be honest it's common at that age. I'd suggest giving him more milk at each feed and see how it goes. A baby at that age won't sleep through the night, regular feeds are needed. He's a little young yet to consider spoon feeds.

Yea it can be common but he was great for so long as is my cousins little one. As for more milk I make up larger bottles but sometimes he won't take extra. The option is there though. Guess got to wait it out

Yea it can be common but he was great for so long as is my cousins little one. As for more milk I make up larger bottles but sometimes he won't take extra. The option is there though. Guess got to wait it out

Never compare sleeping patterns with other babies as its rare it will be the same. You are going to have to just sit it out, if he's not distressed I wouldn't worry. Just keep the feeding going and give him enough. When he wakes you just have to keep feeding :-/. It doesn't last forever but it's normal for his age. Ask your health nurse next time she visits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

what formula is he on?

• Advertisement

He's on Cow&Gate infasoy which he likes and on normal Cow&Gate he doesn't poop properly

Advertisement