Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

He's on Cow&Gate infasoy which he likes and on normal Cow&Gate he doesn't poop properly

Hi ss, our little fella was similar with the exception that he never slept great at night at all. He's in lactose free but still had problems pooing. Anyway around 8 weeks ago, we dropped the night time bottles and he now sleeps most the night. We gently just kept giving him a soother when he woke at night and eventually he began to not look for a bottle anymore. He now also drinks 7-8oz at bedtime where he used to only take 3-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

yellow hen- I vote you come stay with me for awhile, I'm thinkin a couple of weeks should be enough :)

We had him like that for awhile and thats when he started sleeping through and now its just a no go. I did however (when he woke at 5, few hours after 7.5 ounce feed at 2) let him talk himself back to sleep. He never takes dummie to fall back to sleep after feeds he just has it when he first goes to bed and starts to wake up on and off

yellow hen- I vote you come stay with me for awhile, I'm thinkin a couple of weeks should be enough :)

We had him like that for awhile and thats when he started sleeping through and now its just a no go. I did however (when he woke at 5, few hours after 7.5 ounce feed at 2) let him talk himself back to sleep. He never takes dummie to fall back to sleep after feeds he just has it when he first goes to bed and starts to wake up on and off

Wow, 7.5oz during the night is alot and it does sound like hunger rather than habit. Our fella doesn't really like soother so we sort of hold it in and stroke his cheek and he falls asleep.

Ps.. Reading back on my post if sounded so easy to wean him off the bottles when in fact, we were both like zombies with exhsustion shushing a tired, cranky and windy baby. It all seems a distant memory already!

Yea I'm thinking its hunger he does drink more in the evening/night than day and I'm trying to change that not working...
    But what do you give a baby on infasoy when hungrier? I could bang my head off a wall at times

I think I now "rock" the zombie look :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

He's on Cow&Gate infasoy which he likes and on normal Cow&Gate he doesn't poop properly

That is interesting we were told by GP,PHN and Pharmacist not to give Soy formula as it can affect fertility in later life. Soy milk was fine though from 12 months.
    Talk to your gp he may suggest early weaning or changing formula.

She was allergic to it though as well as probably being lactose intolerant luckily shortly after she turned 2 she was suddenly able to take it which made my life easier:)

• Advertisement

Think I'm starting to realise I'm never gonna not worry. I wonder if I try normal milk will he have settled again I can ask doctor maybe or ring the nurse

Ss, why is he on soy? Was he allergy tested? Did you try other formulae? Sorry if you've already said this elsewhere.

Tried every milk I could even the comfort milks so I was talkin to the pharmacist about the pain screams that he had every time he tried drinking and then when he was pushing for 3 or more days to go toilet but nothin happening and he said try it to see if it works and within 12 hours there was improvement and never had trouble since. Said it to doc and nurse and they said to continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

Tried every milk I could even the comfort milks so I was talkin to the pharmacist about the pain screams that he had every time he tried drinking and then when he was pushing for 3 or more days to go toilet but nothin happening and he said try it to see if it works and within 12 hours there was improvement and never had trouble since. Said it to doc and nurse and they said to continue

Did you try "Hipp Organic" milk? It's excellent. Don't cut out bottles at night, that's a crazy idea. At four months the baby still needs feeds at night.

We were the exact same. Comfort milk was a disaster, nutramigen was a disaster. My gp suggested SMa lactose free. It's light like aptimil first milk and he took to it so well. If you think it's best to leave your baby as is, do. But if not, definitely try the SMa lactose free. It completely got rid of my little mans terrible wind problems. We just about poo once a day now but I'm vigilant in his food and water intake. I really hope things improve for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My one year old is on SMA LF Formula, was diagnosed as lactose intolerant at 7 months by a consultant paedaetrician, he was the opposite to constipation, the regular formula used to just run right through him, 4-5 soiled runny nappies a day, it is a very light milk, we thicken it with Carobel (a spoon in a bottle just before use) but this was recommended by consultant for the reason that he was inhaling his formula when ingested from his tum causing a constant cough. it does thicken the formula but ask for proper advice before doing this.

Rose35 wrote: »
    My one year old is on SMA LF Formula, was diagnosed as lactose intolerant at 7 months by a consultant paedaetrician, he was the opposite to constipation, the regular formula used to just run right through him, 4-5 soiled runny nappies a day, it is a very light milk, we thicken it with Carobel (a spoon in a bottle just before use) but this was recommended by consultant for the reason that he was inhaling his formula when ingested from his tum causing a constant cough. it does thicken the formula but ask for proper advice before doing this.

Rose that's interesting, our little man had a constant cough. I had been just leaving it to pass but maybe we should look into it more?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Rose that's interesting, our little man had a constant cough. I had been just leaving it to pass but maybe we should look into it more?

Yes absolutely do look into it, as I said we went to a consultant and even spent a night in the hospital to have him observed (the cough), and after an x-ray it showed that he had small particles of food in his lungs, (inhaling small amounts of formula), so we put a teaspoon of carobel (which is lactose free) in his formula to thicken the milk, it has helped but also he is a year old now and as he is getting stronger the cough seems to be disappearing now, but we always keep an eye on it. I hadn't heard of this before we had J tested.

Thanks all. Not tried organic formula yet gonna ring nurse today and chat with her see what she says.

Last night he slept great couldn't believe it

Well this is it with the sleep thing, we go through the same, great sleeper for a couple of weeks and then playing up for a week and then sleeping great again, example last night my little man wanted to go outside and play at midnight, wide awake, pointing at the door, this has never happened before, its phases they go through(fingers crossed)..... both mammy and daddy very tired today..........

Oh kids know how to make you tired. Last night was daddy's night hence why he slept but tonight is my night and he won't sleep at all. But from half 7 yesterday evenin until 7 am is a big jump in the right direction

Advertisement