Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions : EMT in Civil Defence

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I think the units will all have different start times and schedules. What unit are you trying to contact. The CD website isnt great for making contact, but alot of the units have active fbook pages and you can get through that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I just told the women where I live which is the southside (ballyfermot) she told me she'd phone me back in September but no call yet :(

carzony wrote: »
    I just told the women where I live which is the southside (ballyfermot) she told me she'd phone me back in September but no call yet :(

Try again. Dublin civil defence also has a active FBook and twitter pages, no harm to drop a message. Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd just try a different organisation at this stage.

BX 19 wrote: »
    I'd just try a different organisation at this stage.

why u say that mate?

• Advertisement

why u say that mate?

Well either they're over subscribed or not exactly interested in having new volunteers.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Well either they're over subscribed or not exactly interested in having new volunteers.

when I rang them in June I think it was the women said they already had 240 waiting to join. I tried ringing them there but got no answer. Very hard organisation to get in contact with :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Go and knock on the door and ask to speak to the CDO in person, it will show initiative, determination and might help your case if there are so many trying to join up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NeartAgNgeag

They have interviews on the 17th of september at 8-9pm, I got an email from Dublin Civil Defence yesterday.

They have interviews on the 17th of september at 8-9pm, I got an email from Dublin Civil Defence yesterday.

Got the Email myself today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 NeartAgNgeag

Got the Email myself today :D

thats good :D I shall see you there!!!

Had my interview today. Have to say it was very brief so not reall sure how I got on! Everyone elses interview seemed to be just as short so i'm not to worried..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Had my interview today. Have to say it was very brief so not reall sure how I got on! Everyone elses interview seemed to be just as short so i'm not to worried..
    There are 250 interviews over 3 days so there is only so much time they can spend on each person to be able to get through everyone, I wouldn't worry to much about the briefness of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Ziycon wrote: »
    There are 250 interviews over 3 days so there is only so much time they can spend on each person to be able to get through everyone, I wouldn't worry to much about the briefness of it.

250? why the huge demand? I know people use it as a stepping stone to ES but is this the sole reason?

Canyon86 wrote: »
    250? why the huge demand? I know people use it as a stepping stone to ES but is this the sole reason?

It's a great organisation and even to have it on a c.v for any job is a great thing to have..

I think these days people have lots of free time.. :cool: The women told me 160 people for interview :confused:

Not the sole reason my friend. Some are already ES that just want to give something back into the Community, I believe that's the real reason why anyone should want to join. Anything that comes of it down the line can be a bonus for you possibly in your chosen career or line or work..

Best of luck.

Just an update lads.. I passed the interview and i'v to go back on the 24th with passport photos and a blue pen :D Garda vetting I think...

Can I ask was it possible to fail the interview in the first place? I was interviewed for 3 minutes:o Must have made a good impression if that's the case :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Interviews are used to find out why people are interested in getting involved and to ensure you're somewhat normal. Obviously you passed.

[QUOTE=to ensure you're somewhat normal.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry once your in they'll rectify that! ;)

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    Don't worry once your in they'll rectify that! ;)

Grand so lads :D

I decided to go for the casualty unit. That seemed to suit me best..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Batman124

Let us know how you get on.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Lads, How difficult is it to become a member of the civil defence? I hear they only take a handful of members every year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

jamesr123 wrote: »
    Lads, How difficult is it to become a member of the civil defence? I hear they only take a handful of members every year?

It depends, what part of the country are you in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

ectoraige wrote: »
    It depends, what part of the country are you in?

Dublin.. I know they only took 70 (ish) people this year..

Lads, how fit would you be expected to be to join the civil defence and is there any fitness tests?

I'm young but seriously unfit... :o

There is no fitness test per say... There should be though I reckon.

iceage wrote: »
    There is no fitness test per say... There should be though I reckon.

How fit would you need to be?

How fit would you need to be?

Lift a stretcher. Most services in the US require you to lift 250lbs assisted (125lbs per person ~ 56kg)

• Advertisement

Personally I reckon you should be able to lift your own body weight at the very least. Push ups, sit ups, squats, chin ups, jogging/walking etc. although this is far from the case with many in the organisation.

Lifting stretchers really come under patient handling these days, the idea is that you should never have to lift anyone/anything and put you yourself at risk of injury. This will all be covered in your training as you progress.

Advertisement