Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions : EMT in Civil Defence

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

iceage wrote: »
    Personally I reckon you should be able to lift your own body weight at the very least. Push ups, sit ups, squats, chin ups, jogging/walking etc. although this is far from the case with many in the organisation.

Lifting stretchers really come under patient handling these days, the idea is that you should never have to lift anyone/anything and put you yourself at risk of injury. This will all be covered in your training as you progress.

Ok thanks lads. I went to the meeting on thursday and most of the lads there looked huge.. I felt like I was in a gym instead of the civil defence :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

carzony wrote: »
    Ok thanks lads. I went to the meeting on thursday and most of the lads there looked huge.. I felt like I was in a gym instead of the civil defence :o:o

I wouldn't worry. I've seen some Paramedics who'd look like they'd struggle getting out of a chair so I'd say your grand.

As long as you can assist lifting your fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Not sure if this has been covered but what would be the most appropriate license to hold for driving duties in Civil defence? I obviousally have the B license already lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm almost tempted to refuse to answer the question due to that awful use of 'lol'
    But anyway, more and more units are bringing in ambulances with stretcher lifts on the back of them, because of the weight of these lifts these ambulances require a valid C1 light truck licence so that would be a priority.
    A lot of units also have mini buses with capacity to take up to 17 passengers and it's driver, also some older ambulances have seatbelt straps that allow you to seat four people across a stretcher and two stretchers in the ambulance,
    to drive those you need a valid D1 mini bus licence.

Advertisement