Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish pubs for people who love 'dodging vomit and flying fists'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Meh, a little from column A and little from column B either way i've set up a twitter account to lambast the douche

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

And to be perfectly honest, we do kind of feel like a sneaky Guinness right now, washed down with that traditional Irish delicacy - the kebab.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-bars/as-two-irish-pubs-close-we-ask-whether-they8217ve-had-their-day/story-fn93ypt9-1226690295223#ixzz2b98RrBmH
    He's obviously trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Gee, and we thought the biggest problem was raucously drunk backpackers who travel halfway round the world to behave even worse than they do in Cork and Dublin.
    He just doesn't know what he's talking about, he must think all pubs in ireland are gentile and polite places to believe that behaviour is worse here!
    And it's curry chips, not Kababs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

He is entitled to his opinion

However lets face it Irish Pubs can be found in almost every city in the world. They are found in the remotest places in the world.

This can only be due to the fact that when it comes to drinking houses we leave everyone in the ha penny place.

The outside word is the outside world, sure its closed out but the point of the matter is you grab a mate walk in sit down catch up solve each others problems and maybe if there time discuss some wider issues.

If I want to sit and watch the world go by there are Cafes...something the irish flounder at.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Anthony Sharwood is an arsehole, and that's putting it politely. He's up there with the worst 'journalists' I've seen and his copy is typical of the nonsense published by news.com.au.

Another gem of his -

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/soccer-shocker-del-piero-wont-call-it-football/story-fndkzvnd-1226536151854

And this is the worst of the lot -

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/confused-mumbling-man-moves-to-retirement-home/

He's also a cock on Twitter, though he didn't reply when I took the piss out of his cringeworthy interview with Tim Cahill :D

He's a boil on the very spotty arse of mainstream Australian journalism, I'm disappointed the Indo covered his article. He doesn't deserve the recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I agree with Xavi6. Anthony Sharwood is a dick, there's nothing wrong with Irish Pubs or kebabs. Plenty of Aussie Pubs need burned to the ground too.

That's what I don't get, Irish pubs look like upper echelons of sociability compared to the brawling swill dives, titty emporiums and atmosphere voids that pass as Aussie pubs. You nearly have to get join an ex servicemans or bowling club to get as relaxed a drinking atmosphere.

But then again when the pilgrims landed on Plymouth rock they got down on their knees and gave thanks, when the first convict ship arrived in Australia they got drunk and had an orgy! As a result I reckon a lot are just uptight about appearances of getting drunk and think the Irish in Australia are acting in the same emancipated manner to Australians abroad!

I don't want to tar all Australians with the same brush (I am in Perth and plenty of Aussie from the east coast find that challenging enough!) but from what I've experienced they can't seem to get drunk without getting violent! (maybe that's just a Perth thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Anthony Who???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

No mention of two lovely Irish pubs in Melbourne, The Snug & The Drunken Poet. Wonder where they find in amongst the two classes of pubs that he mentions?

[/QUOTE]Gee, and we thought the biggest problem was raucously drunk backpackers who travel halfway round the world to behave even worse than they do in Cork and Dublin. [/QUOTE]
    catbear wrote: »
    He just doesn't know what he's talking about, he must think all pubs in ireland are gentile and polite places to believe that behaviour is worse here!
    And it's curry chips, not Kababs!

This was one of my issues, not just with the newspaper artical but with the perception that Irish people "wouldn't behave the same way they do here if they were at home" which is clearly the opinion of someone who has never been to Galway during rag week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Thats a couple of hundred words with zero substance.

He's dragged a couple of photos from St. Patricks day somewhere, Dropped in the only factual piece of information in the whole story - 2 irish pubs in Sydney to close !!! And gotten a soundbite off the owner of one of the sh!tter irish pubs I've ever been in.

As for throwing in "to be sure" and calling kebabs staple irish food, I'm want to find this fool and if I do, I'm gonna puke on him. Then I'm gonna punch him.

Just to make him right about something.

What a clown

You can't even fart in a Perth without starting a brawl!
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/18389516/pub-brawl-over-pungent-odour/
    Seriously, wtf is it with the short fuses in this place!

catbear wrote: »
    You can't even fart in a Perth without starting a brawl!
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/18389516/pub-brawl-over-pungent-odour/
    Seriously, wtf is it with the short fuses in this place!

40366056.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Very few decent journos in this part of the world, its all American sucking-up tabloid muck.

Advertisement