Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Smashed - New Window Required

Options
  • 06-08-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Basically on the way to Rosslare Friday week ago while stopped for a late evening meal in Wicklow the our T4 Camper was broken into by chave scum. They smashed the bonded window in the sliding door to gain access so I now have to go and source a replacement however I'm thinking of putting in a smaller window in the door this time around.
    I'm just wondering if there are any recommended sources for DOE appropriate camper/motorhome windows, either locally or further afield?

Thanks all.

Comments

Windscreen cover covers all glazing. Might be easier just replace it.

http://www.milenco.com/products/sleep-safe-alarms/

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Windscreen cover covers all glazing. Might be easier just replace it.

http://www.milenco.com/products/sleep-safe-alarms/

Thanks but unfortunately not in the case:(
    Still needs replacing & like I said I'm considering a smaller window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I had my sliding door bonded window replaced on the insurance,

paddyp wrote: »
    I had my sliding door bonded window replaced on the insurance,

Thanks but as above it's not covered!

My intention is to either blank off the window opening and insert a smaller window or try to source an original bonded window.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks but as above it's not covered!

My intention is to either blank off the window opening and insert a smaller window or try to source an original bonded window.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

whos the underwriter broker might be having you on.

• Advertisement

Okay guys, I'm covered by insurance but I'm just wondering if there are any recommended sources for DOE appropriate camper/motorhome windows, either locally or further afield?

Okay guys, I'm covered by insurance but I'm just wondering if there are any recommended sources for DOE appropriate camper/motorhome windows, either locally or further afield?

All new glass windows are correctly marked, the problem is basically when people use old windows or caravan windows which were never intended for passenger compartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ellisonline

I managed to smash a sliding window on my T5 last month. Got a new one from Joe at Cosyclassics.ie He does a couple of versions for the T5, not sure about T4 but he'll definitely point you in the right direction if he doesn't have one

Thanks ellisonline,

I'll enquire but I'd prefer not to fit a full window this time 'round, at least not immeadiately.
    I'm considering fitting one of the smaller windows generally seen on the side of the Hi-Top roofs instead. Or try to source a smaller pane of DOE appropriate toughened glass & fit it with the older style rubber seal.

Thanks ellisonline,

I'll enquire but I'd prefer not to fit a full window this time 'round, at least not immeadiately.
    I'm considering fitting one of the smaller windows generally seen on the side of the Hi-Top roofs instead. Or try to source a smaller pane of DOE appropriate toughened glass & fit it with the older style rubber seal.

You're making things very complicated for yourself, how do you plan on filling in, bracing, painting and sealing the existing cutout to fit a smaller window, bonded is a much better job than rubber fit due to the amount of preparationrequired to ensure the edges don't rust. It was bad luck just let the insurance companies appointed glass fitter deal with it.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    You're making things very complicated for yourself, how do you plan on filling in, bracing, painting and sealing the existing cutout to fit a smaller window, bonded is a much better job than rubber fit due to the amount of preparationrequired to ensure the edges don't rust. It was bad luck just let the insurance companies appointed glass fitter deal with it.

This is a simple job for me, I've worked as an Engineer for the last 17 years and prior to that I was a coded welder (stainless/alloy) & metal fabricator working in the aviation industry.
    Changing a window on a 12year old Veedub is not gonna kill me!

I am simply curious where I may be able to source suitably approved windows, in differing sizes or perhaps a different style window such as a T2/T3 louvered side window, locally rather than spending my cash abroad if at all possible.
    There was already rust present on the door prior to the window being smashed by the little lowlife and would've needed addressing sooner or later.
    If I just replace with another bonded window now I'll still likely need to remove it in the near future.

Simple job for me too but I don't like making work for myself - the wife alerady does enough of that.

If you're going to the trouble of closing it all up I'd put in a seitz s4 window or maybe an s5 slider

http://charlescamping.ie/store/index.php/windows/seitz-s4-hinged-window-11624.html

- Double glazed, opening, flyscren, blackout blind easyto get part and no trouble finding a complete replacement.

Advertisement