Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Startup Media Centre Box

• 06-08-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

apologies for coming straight in with a post but this is an insanely deep topic.

I'm looking at this set up and adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/1080p-xbmc-videomix-pro-100-free-movies-sport-irish-channels-mk809ii/3010642

hoping to basically run everything on UPC in dublin city centre. just wondering will this box handle the whole lot?

Live would be a nice addition and some german channel streaming too.

Really appreciate the help and if I can give any more info to help in advising please ask!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

El Spearo wrote: »
    Hey guys,

apologies for coming straight in with a post but this is an insanely deep topic.

I'm looking at this set up and adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/1080p-xbmc-videomix-pro-100-free-movies-sport-irish-channels-mk809ii/3010642

hoping to basically run everything on UPC in dublin city centre. just wondering will this box handle the whole lot?

Live would be a nice addition and some german channel streaming too.

Really appreciate the help and if I can give any more info to help in advising please ask!

Cheers.

very under powered for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

The MK809I sticks are alright, how it performs on what you mean by "the whole lot" as that doesn't really mean anything when talking about media centres as we don't know what you want from a stick. Do you want just regular avi/mkv file viewing or full on 3D BluRay ISO playing?

I'm assuming if this is your first media box you won't know about XBMC, I'd suggest installing it on a laptop and playing around with it for a while to get used to it. It's an incredibly powerful piece of software that does everything from playing files to live streaming almost anything under the sun but it can be pretty unweildy for a first time media box.

Also that exact same stick is available for €76.50 + €3.30 postage here: http://easysaver.ie/store/11-mk809-ii.html . Saves you €20 if your eye is drawn to that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Also that exact same stick is available for €76.50 + €3.30 postage here: http://easysaver.ie/store/11-mk809-ii.html . Saves you €20 if your eye is drawn to that one.

I don't see a remote there

Forgot about that part actually. An extra €20 is fine for Rii style remote like that actualy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

thanks guys.

I'm familiar with XBMC but haven't relied on it as a sole centre.

I'm looking for basic streams. 3D and HD is not needed but decent quality is a must...like normal TV quality.

Hoping to run the footy, and have day to day tv on demand with some live stuff too like the news.

I'm not sure you'll get "normal tv" quality streams but there is a wide range of plug ins for live streaming of sports in XBMC like SportsDevil but quality can be sketchy. For OnDemand stuff there's the regular android apps for the likes of BBC iPlayer and while there's no native Android app for Irish TV (apart from RTE News Now which will do live news for you) there is a plug in for XBMC that will do all the Irish ondemand services and will do live Irish TV through AerTV.

Again, I'd recommend that you try out the plug ins on an XBMC install on a regular computer to see if they're good enough quality for your needs. Personally they do the job great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I'm not sure you'll get "normal tv" quality streams but there is a wide range of plug ins for live streaming of sports in XBMC like SportsDevil but quality can be sketchy. For OnDemand stuff there's the regular android apps for the likes of BBC iPlayer and while there's no native Android app for Irish TV (apart from RTE News Now which will do live news for you) there is a plug in for XBMC that will do all the Irish ondemand services and will do live Irish TV through AerTV.

Again, I'd recommend that you try out the plug ins on an XBMC install on a regular computer to see if they're good enough quality for your needs. Personally they do the job great for me.

yeah im just finishing some college stuff and then ill have a few days to whack through playing with XBMC properly....ill keep this thread alive and come back to haunt ye in about two weeks :D

Advertisement