Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Swim 1500m TT
    I skipped the morning group session as I wanted to have a crack at this. My pb 23:52 was after a good block of swim training early last year. I still feel off peak fitness but I'm getting there and I've been hanging onto sharks, suffering, but hanging on. So, I figured mid 23 was realistic and a decent pb, maybe low 23 if I paced it and suffered alone as I can with company. Either way I was pscyched up to visit the dark searing hostile heat of the pain cave and pitch a tent!

The approach was to break it down to 3x400 no rest and the hang on. The lane was busy but mostly swim hats labelled with X swim or y Tri leaving enough room in the middle of the lane to squeeze through. The one worry was a larger girl swimming in the centre of the lane endangering oncoming traffic. She was moving slow enough to pass quickly but it would require a wide pass and possible game of chicken with one of the labeled hats. There was thus a real possibility of being reported to the lifeguard for menacing swimming :pac:

Waiting for the bunch to clear the outbound length and get halfway down the return was akin to waiting for the perfect wind before a launch down the ski jump. At least it ensured a clear opening 100m. I tore off doing the first 100m way too fast. I backed off and found the threshold pace by feel. There were invariably 3 pairs of legs at the wall that didn't move but after a few no nonsence grab turns they moved.

At 400m I was feeling it and wondered if I had butchered it. It didn't feel at that point like I could sustain the pace for 1500m. I maintained the effort but stretched for length at the catch and alternated between breathing bi lat and every stroke. I actually had to pass that girl on the left once as a normal pass was a certain collision. Slowing to breast stroke was not an option! 800m came and went feeling strong but it was starting to bite. I had glanced at the clock at 750m and knew I was going to have to bury myself not to fade too badly. I was sure I had gone too hard.

The 3rd 400 was grim and really mentally challenging. I slowed a little initially but regained focus to see it through. My shoulders and lungs were on fire and I was kicking hard enough to bring on cramp at anytime. I wanted to leave the stupid tent and flee the cave.

300m to go was 'just' 3 laps. It sucked but getting that 100m done was a lift. I poured the last of it into the last few lengths and hit stop. I was spent. So much so it was a minute or so before I looked at the watch. When I did, I did a double take... 22:18!!! :eek:

Splits: 1:23/1:29/1:33/1:32/1:29/1:28/1:28/1:28/1:32/1:30/1:29/1:29/1:32/1:30/1:28
    First 400m in 5:55, next one in 5:53 and hung on at 6min pace to the end :D

I was chuffed to say the least. Massive pb! Could not have squeezed a second more out. Easily the most satisfying swim result since getting out of the canal at Roth 2011 sub60 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Congrats on that TT Mike, that's a phenomenal time:eek:! Those splits are a masterclass in pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Wow, very impressive. Cant wait to see your 10km effort ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What a stud!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What a stud!!! ;)

That's me out :(

I'm bringing him away for a dirty weekend in Reading soon Dory ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

well done mike, that's a hell of an effort. 22 min 1500m very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Savage Mike,
    Is the 20min mark in the back of your head now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looks like you settled nicely into the pain cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

great-white-shark-1.jpg

@bennymul - how many 30+ years olds do you know who took up swimming and became 20 minute swimmers?! What would it take to even aim for it? Its a different league.

Aerobic Run
    The usual 8km lunchtime loop in 37:37, pace 4:42. It was warm, windy and muggy. I felt tired. Woke up at 3am nose running and sneezing and it lasted 3 hours before I caught a nap before work. The legs felt like lead. Still better than an office lunch talking shop.

Easy Swim
    1,500m at 1:48 pace
    10x50m kick
    1,000m at 1:49 pace
    10x50m kick
    500m at 1:49 pace
    Total 4,000m

Shoulders felt tired and core stiff. Legs became crampy on the kick sets. The steady swimming was relaxed but concentration was low this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

@bennymul - how many 30+ years olds do you know who took up swimming and became 20 minute swimmers?! What would it take to even aim for it? Its a different league.

Considering how far you have come with the hard work, I would venture to bet there is more time to be taken off your PB.
    and age is just a number.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mossym wrote: »
    think he's aiming for june or july. He's been posting some stuff on twitter about 20k in the pool in a day, split over 3 sessions.

quick update, he did 15kms straight in the pool today, 5 hours. mentioned it on twitter, his feed is here
    https://twitter.com/LynchieSoup

won't clog your log with any more of this, your own updates are the main highlight:)

MMRA Ballyhoura Mountain Marathon

Not quite the IMRA debut I envisaged originally, which was one of the midweek short races. I'm in no shape for a marathon let alone an off road one, over mountains!! Running lately has been a diet of 2 weekly 5 milers and a solitary 8 easy miles with career_move recently to sum up the training. None of it was off road running up mountains :rolleyes:

So, the purpose of this was for Kate and I to get a long trek done as practice for the Beast. I met Kate and her lovely sister, over from Oz, at registration. While we shot the breeze and giggled, Kate was sizing up the Ladies' competition with steely stares. I knew then her plan was different and I had a choice. Leave her off or run with her and fall apart at some point? Option B it was.

First up, great event. Savage course. Incessant hills, muck and rain but beautiful sections of trail, meadows, corridors of fallen trees and superstar volunteers with jellies, nuts, bananas, chocolate and water. Signposted every few hundred metres so impossible to get lost. Well, near impossible. Kate managed to get temporarily lost en route to victory! Kudos to her backtracking and still getting the job done. I had long since watched her disappear into a mist by that point.

My own race was an epic 5.5 hours of struggle. Ended up with a swollen left ankle, swollen and bruised right knee and large raw blisters. Finished it though which was goal achieved :). I ran with Kate for the first 10 miles but had gone over on my ankle and landed on my right kneecap attacking a steep technical descent after an hour or so. It was the same knee I hurt last week so it bloody hurt more this time :rolleyes: I let Kate off and walk/jogged home getting passed by what felt like the entire field of runners. When I finished it actually felt like I came last and I may well have! That would be a first :(

I just couldn't sustain running for long with a swelling knee and I went over on the same ankle 3 more times on muddy sections. I just gave up trying and descended with the brakes on afraid to do real damage. It happens a lot as my ankle turn in naturally. The 4 hours between the fall and the finish felt like forever. Some runners slowed down to keep me company for a while. IMRA folk are the bomb :).

Anyway, completely delighted for Kate getting the win. Couldn't happen a smilier running nutter and pretty chuffed to have such a tough cookie on my Beast team :) Once I get this swim done its running and mountain biking all the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thanks for everything today. I settled into a lovely rhythm running with you and it made life way easier ...... you're a legend :D

No training today. Can barely walk let alone run. Worst shape I've ever been in after a race :rolleyes: Compedes, ice packs, ibuprofen, epsom salts...

Swim Endurance
    Well, long endurance swim for most of us, just a bog standard one for Dory :rolleyes:
    2,000m in 35:50 pace 1:47
    2 min rest
    2,000m in 35:38 pace 1:46
    2 min rest
    2,000m in 35:16 pace 1:45
    Total 6,000m

Quiet pool so great opportunity to get a long session done. The intention was all easy swimming. With the DOMS however I couldn't kick off the wall. Legs felt like lead and concentration was poor. I felt like getting out after 4k but made myself do another rep. Terrible. Felt like junk and I was wiped for a finish :(

OW Swim
    Met trig1 for an inaugural dip at Worlds End. He was in for 10 mins by the time I suited up and jumped in. No hanging about, just swam. Proper brain freeze for 3-4 minutes before I began to adapt. Goggles fogged up so I was half afraid of a head on with trig on his way back to the slip. We met about 400m from it, crossed the river to avoid rowing shells and headed back in together. I did mostly backstroke as my shoulders were reeling from the pool. Found it almost pleasant for a finish. About 900m done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

I did mostly backstroke as my shoulders were reeling from the pool. Found it almost pleasant for a finish. About 900m done :)

And I still couldn't stay with him :o

Bloody DOMs :mad: 3 days and still nursing. Right knee pretty sore. Body felt wrecked today, I think it was the 3rd reluctant long rep in the pool yesterday. Just wasn't feeling it today and bailed after a half hour of junk...

Normal service will resume tomorrow. Less than 3 weeks to sub3 attempt #1 :eek:

Short Row
    30 minutes on the erg at 18spm pulling 211w avg or 1:58.4/500m pace. Been a while so this felt laboured. 7,602m total. Knee a bit better, back to regular size. I wanted to run but quads still tender and hole in the sole of my foot from a giant blister still too raw.

Swim Intervals
    Another go at the 4x5x100m descending set. Close but no cigar..
    5x100m off 1:45 in on 1:29/1:36/1:38/1:31/1:37
    1 minute rest
    5x100m off 1:40 in on 1:28/1:26/1:29/1:32/1:31
    1 minute rest
    5x100m off 1:35 in on 1:31/1:26/1:31/1:27/1:31
    1 minute rest
    3x100m off 1:30 in on 1:28/1:27/1:26
    1 minute rest
    2x100m off 1:30 in on 1:27/1:27
    Total 2,400m inc warm up and cool down

Just couldn't hold the last set. I wasn't even taking a break. Literally a breath, hit lap button and go. It was practically 300m continuous before my heart felt like it was going to burst through my chest and my lungs collapse. I needed a breather to finish the last 2 reps. A bit of traffic in the lane I had to pass on every rep so the short sprints took their toll. Don't think I could have finished the 5x1:30 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe take a break for a few days?
    One day off after an injured marathon is a bit crazy, even by your standards :)

• Advertisement

@Raycun - well done on your sub3 @Limerick! Jealous I am. I haven't run since the weekend but couldn't anyway. I've 2 weeks swimming left before a swim marathon so need to build to best peak I can

Swim Endurance
    4,000m straight in 64:36, pace 1:37. Paced the first 2km steady aerobic then pushed on. Faded on the final 400m which I wasn't happy about. It was above race pace though and its about as good a swim shape as I've been in. Kept a good long stroke and even dipped into a zone at times. Traffic again meant the swim was peppered with mini sprints. So, should peak over the next 10 days then a taper week. Need to consider fuelling. Met a lad chewing a flapjack during his set and found he is training for the channel as half a 2 man relay. Put my meagre 10km lake swim in perspective!

Nutrition? I've seen people stick gels inside the back of their goggle straps although that looks awkward to me. Interested advised me to stick a couple of gels up the sleeve of my wetsuit for the WOTS where they are easy to get to. Is there a carb drink station on the swim course?

By the way that's an impressive swim - in your best ever swim shape off limited training? Why is that do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice swimming Mike. :cool:

Hope the knee mends soon. You don't do yourself any favours though :pac:

@griffin - Yeah interested gave me similar tips.

I guess training in general hasn't been as consistent as I'd like but I have as much work put in as any other spring. I just lack winter volume. So, while pace has improved as per recent 1500 pb, its the base fitness I'm unsure about, for a 3 hour swim. Nothing I can do now but put a last bit of training in, taper and execute a plan.

In other news, Xterra cancellation is annoying. I was looking forward to that. Need to find a new race for July. Maybe a messing tune up for the Beast.

July? Beginnish Island swim :)

@griffin - shortlisted, thanks

Swim Intervals
    9x400m off 7min in on 6:23/6:26/6:31/6:39/6:42/6:44/6:56/6:50/6:54

Supposed to be 10 reps. Knew after the first 2 I was going to struggle. The effort was way too high for a return of 1:36 pace. Slipped to 1:40 pace then 1:44 pace before quitting the rubbish swimming on rep 9. Pool was busy. Head just wasn't in it. One of shotgun junior's rugby teammates tragically fell into the sea last weekend and passed away yesterday. I couldn't sleep a wink last night, it really got to me. My heart goes out to the family who live down the road from me. Just so sad. Life is truly cruel sometimes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's shocking news to hear Mike. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thinking of you and all involved. Perhaps dedicate your swim to this little fella and his family. X

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Terrible to hear something like that. I can't even let my mind consider how a family deals with that. Hope your son is coping. Its a huge thing for him to get his head around.

• Advertisement

Group Swim

Last week of training before taper so no better incentive to get my ass up.
    After a 1,000m warm up, a main set of
    4x250m off 4:15
    250m in 3:35 pace 1:25
    250m in 3:33 pace 1:25
    250m in 3:40 pace 1:27
    250m in 3:47 pace 1:30

then 5x200m off 3:20
    200m in 2:55 pace 1:27
    200m in 2:54 pace 1:27
    200m in 2:55 pace 1:27
    200m in 2:56 pace 1:28
    200m in 2:58 pace 1:29

various cool down easy with fins
    3,700m total

Main set flew off at a mad pace. I busted a gut hanging onto sharks for the first 2 250s then lost feet and faded. We had 90 sec rest before the technician lead out the 200s. I suffered but just about hung on. Chuffed to get them all under 3 minutes after a hard km before hand.

Easy Run
    Simple slow tester. 8.32km and felt fat.

OW Swim
    I was a bit late down to Worlds End and found a big enough gang of Limerick Tri and mossym. After a bit of yapping and some shivering anxious bodies not believing me that it was lovely, we hopped in. 13.2 degrees :) Easily a degree or more warmer than last week. No brain freeze. Still a little cold but the degree makes a big difference. Headed out ahead of the posse with mossym and another lad. We covered about 800m out and back. My stupid Garmin tried to tell me I was swimming 2:11 pace again and under cut the distance. I think I might need to plug it in and download software or something. Quite annoying. Anyway, pleasant short swim. OW is so much more enjoyable than pool laps...
    1,600m total

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement