Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

85kg :eek: That about sums it up. But hey, in the spirit of racing off no training this year I'm in for Achill Roar this weekend :D Bit of fun with AKW but hoping to find some mojo up some mountain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

85kg :eek: That about sums it up. But hey, in the spirit of racing off no training this year I'm in for Achill Roar this weekend :D Bit of fun with AKW but hoping to find some mojo up some mountain!

Bike and run done at the weekend after sitting on the Beast glory for the past few weeks, tapertime now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice race by all accounts. Enjoy

Winter training starting early since I haven't put one down since 2011/12.
    Objectives
    Base fitness
    Off road skills
    Fun

Week 1/20: Prep

Benchmarking:
    30 min base row test (best power <150hr): straight 30 min on C2 erg
    171w
    HR 147

30 min base bike test (best power <150hr): on turbo after 10 min warm up
    253w
    HR 146

30 min base run test (best pace <150hr): flat terrain after 15 min warm up
    5:12 pace
    HR 148

Rubbish values for all tests but its a starting point. Long long way to go

Fun:
    Achill Roar Expert 63km
    4:07:41. Definitely the last race done on no training. Hurt too much to call it fun. Didn't fall out of the kayak and actually enjoyed it. There was a swimming option which I'd have considered if swim fit and racing. Fun run down the beach chatting with AKW. The mountain was a slog but running along the cliff edge seeing the full drop to the ocean was very cool. Spraining my ankle on the descent was not cool. Limped back across the beach and got through 2 hours of slow crampy bike. We ran out of juice early and every tiny drag became a wall. Still, finished, high 5ed and agreed its worth doing again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Sounds like you found your mojo anyway :D

Look after that ankle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Achill??? That's where my people are from!!! Gorgeous place!

What's the baby status?? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Achill??? That's where my people are from!!! Gorgeous place!

What's the baby status?? :)
    Hi HoochiedoubleD yes the land of your peeps. Its a beautiful place indeed.
    Baby is T minus 4 weeks!

@career_move - thanks will do. Good luck with the Moxie AR and let's hook up soon for a bike or hike. Not sure if you saw on Twitter, 2 of our mods arranging a MTB chain gang session every few weeks over the winter ;)

Cool hiking/biking/chain gang work I'll be up for that. Just give me a shout :D

How's the ankle?

3 days in and my quads are still rubbery :(

AKW wrote: »
    How's the ankle?

3 days in and my quads are still rubbery :(
    Ankle still swollen but coming down with RICE. Annoying as I was mad to start training again but must bear with it and start back gently. If it had been a rocky descent might be worse than grade 1. Stupid ankles. Apart from cramp, the bane of my running lifelife.

Quads better today but mad DOMs yesterday.

You started training yet? Embrace hills as priority!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My new word this year was proprioception. Something ive learned that dodgy ankles need.

You started training yet? Embrace hills as priority!

I've only started walking!! :)

Objectives
    Ankle Injury Recovery

Managed 2 sessions of 30 min base row followed by 30 min base turbo. Felt OK doing them but swelling still not completely gone after 8 days so more rest needed. Turning the ankle at all is sore and sudden move painful. Tiger balm in the morning plus anti inflammatory, strapped up during the day and RICE in the evenings. Another week of it at least and doubt I'll be running for a few weeks :(

Objectives
    Ankle Injury Recovery

Managed 2 sessions of 30 min base row followed by 30 min base turbo. Felt OK doing them but swelling still not completely gone after 8 days so more rest needed. Turning the ankle at all is sore and sudden move painful. Tiger balm in the morning plus anti inflammatory, strapped up during the day and RICE in the evenings. Another week of it at least and doubt I'll be running for a few weeks :(

Doesn't sound great :( Here's some reading to keep you occupied. And some more :D

Objectives
    Ankle Injury Recovery

CrVp, sorry to hear that :(

Stupid stupid stupid :mad: I should know better

Figured since easy turbo or row was tolerable, I hadn't swam in a couple of months so what harm right? Use pull bouy to keep legs still and cruise a few easy lengths. Forgot the pb and got in anyway. Instinctively kicked before I remembered not to. Instant pain. Got out after an epic 5 seconds. Set myself back a couple of more weeks. Stupid :mad:

Back to recovery and taking more care.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Aw shiit. Sorry to hear that. And easily done. Hope the setback is shorter than feared.

Turbo and row are "tolerable"?? What does that mean? Tolerable?? Have you had the ankle looked at?? Or are you playing doctor/physio yourself? Listen to me...do not screw this up. Tiger balm, anti-inflammatories and RICE are great, but that might not be enough/appropriate. Take a step back....and consider how you'd want Caz to address this situation if she were injured. It may just take time and rest, but I question whether or not you are resting it if you are doing something that is "tolerable" or "manageable" (your words). Trust me, I have credibility here - if you continue to train, even at a tolerable and manageable level via base row and base turbo, you potentially run the risk of compounding, aggravating and prolonging your injury. IF what you need is total rest from even tolerable and manageable base training, then there is still plenty of constructive and safe training and conditioning you can be doing while you heal. Think of it as an opportunity of sorts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Turbo and row are "tolerable"?? What does that mean? Tolerable?? Have you had the ankle looked at?? Or are you playing doctor/physio yourself? Listen to me...do not screw this up. Tiger balm, anti-inflammatories and RICE are great, but that might not be enough/appropriate. Take a step back....and consider how you'd want Caz to address this situation if she were injured. It may just take time and rest, but I question whether or not you are resting it if you are doing something that is "tolerable" or "manageable" (your words). Trust me, I have credibility here - if you continue to train, even at a tolerable and manageable level via base row and base turbo, you potentially run the risk of compounding, aggravating and prolonging your injury. IF what you need is total rest from even tolerable and manageable base training, then there is still plenty of constructive and safe training and conditioning you can be doing while you heal. Think of it as an opportunity of sorts. :)

He is a type A personality, us A types do not listen:) He is probably reading this now whilst on the turbo and shaking his head in agreement with what you say but still forging ahead.

He is a type A personality, us A types do not listen:) He is probably reading this now whilst on the turbo and shaking his head in agreement with what you say but still forging ahead.

And it was my type A personality that won me 2 months of rest that included no running or cycling (plus a scratch at the HIM I had been targeting for over 6 months) due to an injury that I self-medicated and trained through while it was "tolerable" and "manageable"...until one Sunday after my LSR the body physically could go on no more. The body was broken beyond the will/strength of my mind and my type A personality. Not a pretty sight. So, Shotgun, if you're out there...consider stepping away from that turbo and rowing machine!!! Instead, do something fun, like, go have a baby!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Instead, do something fun, like, go have a baby!!! :)

I *think* he's already had full involvement in the fun part of this process...

You do listen, you just don't hear, subtle distinction.

Mike, get better soon, MTB season is calling!!

Up late watching NFL. @ Dory thanks for the lecture. Didn't you swim a million lengths of your pool during those 2 months?! Tolerable is OK. Rowing easy with little leg drive is comfortable and a controlled range of motion. Physio agreed and also recommended the indoor cycling. Nothing with any impact or turning the ankle. I also need something to maintain strength around the joint with specific exercises. I've only been on it twice in the last 12 days.

@AKW that's my incentive to recover carefully!

Up late watching NFL. @ Dory thanks for the lecture. Didn't you swim a million lengths of your pool during those 2 months?! Tolerable is OK. Rowing easy with little leg drive is comfortable and a controlled range of motion. Physio agreed and also recommended the indoor cycling. Nothing with any impact or turning the ankle. I also need something to maintain strength around the joint with specific exercises. I've only been on it twice in the last 12 days.

It wasn't so much a lecture as it was tough love. ;)

But if you are under a professional's watchful eye and following his/her directions, then I applaud you. Heal quickly!!! When I return from Maryland I will put my make-shift Child of Prague with its adapted powers (thank you Marthastew) out in the garden for you. :)

Week 3/20: Recovery

The main focus was treatment of the ankle which included specific exercises.
    Secondary a little base training on the rower.
    5 short base sessions HR <150
    2hrs 40 total
    37.5km

Base training is pretty boring but I'm doing a proper winter for once and building layers. Basically test base fitness, 10 sessions, test again...
    Nothing over 150 HR for the next 6 weeks at least and there are benchmarks to be hit

Introduce the turbo next week
    Introduce Yoga as soon as I can do a down dog :)
    Running very gradually when ready
    Swimming last :(
    MTB and hill running when fully recovered

Baby is T-2 weeks :) So that might all go out the window yet!

Just a little more training this week. Massive 4hrs 10
    40, 60, 30 test, 30, 60 min base rows: 51.9km
    30 min base turbo: 16.5km total

Some progress
    Last base row test: 171w 146hr
    This base row test: 176w 145hr

Had planned a bit more but lots of stuff to do this weekend getting ready for the new arrival

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When is baby due?

When is baby due?
    Monday next week but anytime this week likely

BOOM!!!!

Love the namechange on the log!! That's laying it out there :D

• Advertisement

60 min row today. Concept 2 out on the decking in the early afternoon sun. Relaxed as much as possible but heart rate just wouldn't stay down. 165w average and 144 hr avg. Hit my 150hr limit with 15 mins to go and had to keep reducing power to keep as lid on it. 13,966m. My bro is on an interval only programme while I build a base fitness layer. Should be interesting when we go head to head. I'm training at 160w vs his 360w approach...

Baby is T-3 days :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement