Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Little miss shotgun aka baby Zoe born this morning :D

Shares same birthday now as one of our hoochie legends!

Long day but ooh a happy one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Fantastic news, congratulations. Hope mommy and baby doing well x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Little miss shotgun aka baby Zoe born this morning :D

Shares same birthday now as one of our hoochie legends!

Long day but ooh a happy one :)

:D:D:D
    Super congratulations!!!! So, so, so happy for your entire family. What a very special day indeed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Congratulations on your great news Mike! Fantastic planning on the shared birthday, Zoe will have gills soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A gentlemans family, you can shut up shop now with one of each and get back to the pool

Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Congrats Mike. Zoe rocks :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

in true mcos fashion, his baby would have to be the first to arrive. congrats again.

that's 1 down of the tri babies, 3 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Congrats Mike. Many happy years ahead!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Little miss shotgun has a nice ring to it. And Zoe sounds fast. AND she shares DD's birthday. This kids gonna go far!

Congrats to you both, and the proud big bruvva!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just shows how little I know about reading bumps!! Best I stick to reading feet :)

Many congrats and delighted to see the future hoochie aspect of Team #TriHarder is well taken care of :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Congrats Mike.

Like the name (but then I'm biased ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats Mike! Thats great news.

With little miss shotgun ruling the roost, it would be great if any exercise other than nappy changing got done. A few silly o clock sleep depraved rowing sessions kept me sane!

8,000m Z2 row in 33:51 avg 171w and avg 143hr. Did this at 0100. I had the baby monitor on and was ready to abandon at a seconds notice. Felt surprisingly OK given the hour. I had a window open for some chilly air to keep me alert. The session basically starts midway through Z1 and finishes at the top of Z2.

10x500m Z4 row with 60sec rest after 10min warm up
    Interval avg 274w, Max hr 188!
    Did this during the day outside under the warm autumn sun. Suffered like a dog. After 5 reps my HR had crossed crossed 180, by rep 7 185... Pure pain cave! 274w was only 1:48.6 per rep which is 20w behind my bro so work to do. Boy did it hurt!

8,000m Z2 in 33:43 avg 173w and avg 141hr. This was done at 0600. I opened the door this time for a nice chilly breeze at the end of each stroke. It worked and this was more comfortable than the last Z2 session.

16,000m Z2 today in 70:58 avg 149w and avg 144hr. Again outside facing the autumn sun. Really struggled on this session. Just couldn't keep my heart rate down and had to drop the power way down to get through it. But hey, you gotta go slow to go fast!

My bro's red zone only training currently has him ahead of my base approach.

I've spent time going over historical SBR HR training and testing notes but in the end decided to settle on 4 simple zones that I'll apply to all disciplines
    Z1 recovery/easy <134hr 60% hrr
    Z2 aerobic development 134-152hr 60-72% hrr
    Z3 tempo zone (sweet spot training) 161-172hr 80-88% hrr
    Z4 red zone (LT to VO2 Max) 173-maxhr 89%+ hrr

I treat 73-79% hrr as a dead zone. Too hot for base development and too cold for AT development

Today: 16,000m aerobic row in 67:51. 4k in Z1 and 12k in Z2. Avg 170w and avg 140hr.

The difference cool air and some sleep make. I felt good :) Concept 2 out on the decking again this afternoon but the sky was overcast and air cool. Basically kept <134hr for 4k then slowly built the effort every 2k to the end. Got it done while little miss shotgun napped. Sleep was as broken as it had been all week but I think I was waking up at the end of sleep cycles thus fresher.

Injury update. I'm 5.5 weeks into the ankle recovery. Its better but not yet out of the woods. I was in town the other day and Alex decided to run a few blocks. I jogged beside him without trouble but that was a gentle trot. If I stretch the damaged ligament at all it hurts.

I was surprised how painful it was attempting to swim a few weeks ago, but then you need loose flexible ankles for swimming. Alex and I were at the pool at the weekend and again I naturally kicked the moment I dived in and it hurt. I managed to tread water and swim up and down with Alex for a half hour though. I've been very impressed with his swimming. He just has the one lesson a week but in the last 6 weeks has become competent in all strokes. I challenged him to do an 80m individual medley. He can do all 4 strokes but was unsure. He then went and completed the 80m in a touch over 2 minutes and repeated 3 times! His butterfly puts me to shame. While signing him up to the next set of lessons starting in 3 weeks, I signed myself up too! Something to look forward to. I haven't swam in so long :(

The broken sleep will stand you in good stead for the future ;) consider it a form of training.

Today: Eventually got something done. Visitors all day and a few hours with shotgun junior and I thought it would be another blank on the calories out and +2,000 kcals on the biscuits, coffee and cake in! Alas Caz and little miss shotgun finally went to sleep and I hopped on the rower.

8,000m Z2 in 33:26. Kept this at the upper end of the zone and reduced my best time for the session by 17 secs. An increase of 5w to 178w :). Now if I could just get some consistency going. Weighed in at 83.6kg. Not good. Some sugar discipline required also.

I have a goal of rowing 16k in under an hour. To put that in context, it is a tougher ask than running sub 60 mins for 10 miles

Starting to admire shotgun junior's swim progression. Can't wait to get back swimming.

if you need a partner in sugar discipline to keep you strong, let me know. Ever since my IM I've gone wild with sweets and chocolate. !!! It needs to stop.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    if you need a partner in sugar discipline to keep you strong, let me know. Ever since my IM I've gone wild with sweets and chocolate. !!! It needs to stop.

Can we make it a threesome? A weird ravenous person has taken over my appetite and is making me eat half my bodyweight in sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

How's about a foursome?

I've a sweet tooth, count me in!!

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    I've a sweet tooth, count me in!!

What happened to the butter coffee diet???

Still there, need a balanced diet :D

if you need a partner.....

Yes :)
    Oryx wrote: »
    Can we make it a threesome?.....

Yes!
    Solobally8 wrote: »
    How's about a foursome?

YES!!! :D
    ...count me in!!

Eh.... :confused:

Some boyo, should have a warning on this log, "Wingmen need not apply"

;)

Some boyo, should have a warning on this log, "Wingmen need not apply"

;)

You know I'm a team player. I just like to have defined roles ;)

Alrighty then! ;)

Okay....if we're all serious (and because I'd rather not have to have Oryx and Izoard roll me along the Donadea course in February, I am very serious - this undisciplined chocolate consumption must stop!!), I guess we'll need to have some defined rules of engagement. Do we want to do what shotgun and I did in 2013 with complete abstinence? Or do we want to allow a set "unit" and/or frequency of sugary sweetness? Or do we each want to set our own goals and this is sort of like Alcoholics Anonymous with the buddy system? Is this a challenge? Will there be "punishment"? Do we win anything? ;) So many options. And will this need its own thread? But most importantly, let's keep this fun!! Misery loves company, and all that! :)

I don't care what way we do this. I just need the peer pressure cos right now I'm trying to cause a global chocolate shortage.

Oryx wrote: »
    I don't care what way we do this. I just need the peer pressure cos right now I'm trying to cause a global chocolate shortage.

Then I say let's leave the details to the boys and their orienteering skills!

I'd say we need a thread on the topic 'Chocolate Streak' but that sounds so wrong on so many levels!! :)

• Advertisement

Then I say let's leave the details to the boys and their orienteering skills!

Is that wise :confused::D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement