Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

AKW wrote: »
    I'd say we need a thread on the topic 'Chocolate Streak' but that sounds so wrong on so many levels!! :)

Okay, that's a start. :) But if we do a thread, we have to make it more interesting and interactive than "how many days can we stay off sinfully salacious sugary sweetness" as I see those threads tend to have great enthusiasm and energy initially, but they fizzle out quite quickly. Because this needs to be a commitment from the beginning with team spirit, sportsmanship, and goodwill, all the while being an exercise in self-empowerment and crushing your opponent self-improvement ;), I'm game to consider the idea that each fall from grace is penalized in some fashion (by committee or a chosen/designated participant)...and that the "winner" receives a bounty of goodies at the end of this term in the form of one favorite sugary item provided by each "loser." Just an idea. :) Of course shotgun might have something fun up his sleeve. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ok a bit brain dead from the irregular sleep so I'll open a new thread to get ideas.

Today: Carbon copy of the last session, 8,000m Z2 row in 33:27 avg 177w and avg 146hr
    Got it done first thing as another busy day of visitors and trying to get little miss shotgun to sleep. With all the visitors the presses are stocked with every type of crap that accompanies a cup of tea. Mostly biscuits, my #1 vice, and the kettle never seems to stop boiling! I'm giving myself the weekend to graze away until my final sugary picnic to get me through the 49ers @ Broncos on Monday night/Tuesday morning. Then its on!

After weeks of researching sold my 910xt and pulled the trigger on a Garmin Fenix 2 Special Edition. Essentially my 910xt and my Protrek ABC rolled into one daily/training watch, finally :)fenix2_OF_3510.21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What a beauty!!

Will have to put the two to the test now. Was so tempted by the Fenix 2 until GI started messing me around breaking promises so went with the V800.

I have to say, you've got me super interested in the Fenix2. Spent a good chunk of last night reading the DCrainmaker's review of it. I'll be interested in hearing your impression(s) of this device and how it stacks up against AKW's V800 (I have no idea what the V800 is however :o)....I'm thinking I may need to ask Santa for this one! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I have to say, you've got me super interested in the Fenix2. Spent a good chunk of last night reading the DCrainmaker's review of it. I'll be interested in hearing your impression(s) of this device and how it stacks up against AKW's V800 (I have no idea what the V800 is however :o)....I'm thinking I may need to ask Santa for this one! :)
    Just read a different review... double check its battery life, 10 hours might not cut it, even if you do a supersonic IM next year. ;)

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Just read a different review... double check its battery life, 10 hours might not cut it, even if you do a supersonic IM next year. ;)

Early days and I haven't even trained with it yet. Just enjoying being able to wear it as a wristwatch : . DC RM got 15hrs and that's with a lot of functionality switched on and per second GPS. There aren't that many twists and turns in an IM so you could use the ultra trac mode which far exceeds what a 910 or 920 can do.

Still I'll wait until I actually use it thoroughly before I judge. First impressions are that its a nice looking watch. Its as big as other GPS watches so if you wear a 910 or 620 it will look just as big on your wrist (the V800 is probably the neatest but still looks like a computer) Its quite a rugged looking watch but stylish enough to wear daily. Up to this I wore a shiny Citizen Eco Drive or Casio Protrek as my daytime watch and trained with the 910xt. I'd happily wear this daily :)

What won me over is that this is an outdoor watch firstly developed by an outdoorsy team. Built for trails, skiing, climbing etc.. For the Fenix 2 then they basically took the best of the 620 run metrics and 910 swim and bike metrics and added that functionality to really pack it out. I still wasn't sold until I saw the SE version.

It is BT smart but not yet compatible with Android which is annoying and the mobile version of Garmin Connect needs work. If Concept 2 add this to their list of Ant+ devices that would be great. The only functionality its missing is a daily tracker like the V800 and paddling/rowing metrics which no watch has yet and is the new holy grail.

I like my watches though and it always bugged me that my training watch was not a watch. Very nearly converted me to Polar or Timex if it wasn't for the swimming stuff. Even Caz thinks its a nice looking watch!

It will get its first use tomorrow and there will be a V800 on the same spin :)

Little bit of route finding for Dory. I have this colour too.

Mad keen to see how they compare tomorrow. Bring your Casio so we can calibrate altitude in sync.

Little bit of route finding for Dory. I have this colour too.

Mad keen to see how they compare tomorrow. Bring your Casio so we can calibrate altitude in sync.

The video won't play. :(

But looking forward to your comparative analysis of the watches!!! :)

Today: Boardsie MTB spin out in Ballyhoura. Hilarity in the Van to begin with and then some poor bloke decided to pull his front brake and go over his handlebars, beside the van, in the carpark :pac: 8 of us set off in the early mist and put down just shy of 2 hours moving time. Great fun. Loved the new technical loops. Came off twice including a bang on the kneecap I fractured this year, not good. Felt very unfit huffing and puffing on the climbs trying to keep up making all kinds of promises to myself to fix that.

Other than that, BTH showed he can change as MTB tyre in reasonable time. One of our gang stopped for a cigarette mid trail, in the rain :confused: Dilbert survived his first outing. Career Move did her usual smiling through everything. Mossy enjoyed the last of his freedom. Pmaldini had an off. Bennymul had an off. I had an off. AKW nearly had an off but sacrificed his future ability to father offspring to not hug a tree, ouch! Really good session :)

Then there was the Fenix 2 vs v800. It started in the van with the lads taking the piss out of the guy with the new toy. Then I used the watch to start and control AKW's VIRB Garmin camera!

Numbers from the session (Sean can give corresponding Polar data)
    24.09km in 1:51:xx
    Avg 12.9kmh
    Max 33kmh
    1430 cals
    166hr avg Max 183 and between 178-183 Max on each 5km segment :eek:
    546 Ascent (corrected to circa 600m on GC)
    565 Descent :confused: edit: (corrected to 599m on GC)
    Recovery 71hours or Tuesday at 10am!
    VO2 46

Initial notes

Controlling the camera remotely from the Fenix was cool

The altimeter gave me real time how much we had climbed, current elevation, Max descent etc. I can also set it to tell me what grade of hill I'm on, as if the pain wasn't enough!

Found it hard to read screen as I was A) afraid to take my eyes of the trail and B) I set too many pages to scroll. On the trails, 2 data field Max and fewer pages next time.

It took about 30sec to 'import' the history while the v800 seemed to be instant

Garmin do Zones but don't do time/% in each HR zone which the v800 does. Something I'd like.

The recovery advisor gave hours and day/time for recovery on the v800 while the Fenix 2 only gave hours. The VO2 was not bike specific but too my profile and the HR data into account to give averages.

The Fenix did not only download the course to GC but converted it to a track and added waypoints before sending back to the Fenix ready to do again at the press of a button, cool :)

The map on the watch was pretty decent.

The fact that we finished 19m lower than we started was down to calibration. Need to calibrate the Altimeter for the next spin. Edit: 600m Asc vs 599m Desc.. All good!

The HR data surprised me. 166 avg is TT average when fit but I did spend most of the session unable to speak! I'll validate this with a control session on the rower tomorrow. It was my first time using the HR monitor too.

I chewed through nearly 18% battery in just over 2.5 hours. But I had every second data recording, continuous calibration, GPS and WAAS satellite search, vertical speed which I didn't need. It was not the ideal place for as battery too as the watch GPS had to work hard to maintain signal.

AKWs v800 was spotless while my Fenix looked like it was up a mountain. Either the v800 also self cleans :p or Sean was licking it clean as he went :p

It was the tip of the iceberg for the Fenix. I'll create a custom Mountain Bike profile for next time. Good first impression.

Loved that I could save the activity and it just turned off GPS and returned to normal watch!

The Fenix obviously does power, cadence etc if a power metre is available

509, baby!!!! :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that's pretty cool alright.

It'll be even better when you can attach your own pics and videos from your Garmin VIRB to the Relive feature :)

It'll be even better when you can attach your own pics and videos from your Garmin VIRB to the Relive feature :)

i expected you to be busy today editing away producing a documentary of the day for us

mossym wrote: »
    i expected you to be busy today editing away producing a documentary of the day for us

I'm on it!!

509, baby!!!! :D

Figured he would do that :cool: but did we get the W?!
    I fell asleep and missed it completely so watching now
    I'm on it!!
    Messers on the road. Fenix 2 in control : . Polar Coffee?!
    http://youtu.be/AQAAMyCVUKU

May be a permissions thing on the video. Hold fire.

Messers on the road. Fenix 2 in control : . Polar Coffee?!
    http://youtu.be/AQAAMyCVUKU

1 second.

1 second into the video before he mentions twitter.....

mossym wrote: »
    1 second.

1 second into the video before he mentions twitter.....

You'll enjoy this so -

:D

http://youtu.be/Oy2eRPWub0A

• Advertisement

You'll enjoy this so -

:D

http://youtu.be/Oy2eRPWub0A
    brilliant :D LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

brilliant :D LMAO

Busy this morning then lads?

And I never gave permission to use my image. :)

BTH wrote: »
    Busy this morning then lads?

And I never gave permission to use my image. :)

Recorded in a public place :p

Jumpmaster (File download, safe link)

Mititary application to tell you how to navigate to a target once you have left the plane. Adjusts for wind and glide distance.

Should be handy in the Beast, just in case & you first!! :)

Jumpmaster (File download, safe link)

Mititary application to tell you how to navigate to a target once you have left the plane. Adjusts for wind and glide distance.

Should be handy in the Beast, just in case & you first!! :)
    pretty darn cool, if I was into leaping from planes, I was wondering about the "glide" function! Just in case, age before beauty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Numbers from the session (Sean can give corresponding Polar data)

166hr avg Max 183 and between 178-183 Max on each 5km segment :eek:

122 avg 163 max, but I'm not bike fit, I swear.

BTH wrote: »
    122 avg 163 max, but I'm not bike fit, I swear.
    OK my avg HR was based on moving time only. Still though :eek:

What is your LT bike HR? What zone is 122hr?

OK my avg HR was based on moving time only. Still though :eek:

What is your LT bike HR? What zone is 122hr?

Sure what do you expect from someone who weighs less than the average child!! :D

Sure what do you expect from someone who weighs less than the average child!! :D
    Jesus between him and his size zero and you and your 220-71 :D

• Advertisement

Silly O'Clock Session:
    8,000m Z2 row in 33:19
    HR 139
    Power 179w progress :)
    Cals 394
    Recovery 33 hours (after a half hour base :()

Tail end of the Atlantic Hurricane outside. Wind howling, rain pelting off the window. I had the back door ajar with kettlebells either side holding in place for some cool air. The Concept 2 PM4 monitor didn't pick up the HRM-Run. There are threads on the Concept 2 forums and Garmin Fenix 2 forums asking for the rowing metrics to be added. I can only keep fingers crossed in the next few years it happens.

Surprisingly after a cautious start I ended up with a best time for the session by 7 secs or 1w :confused: It was 2am and I had just spent hours on a work assignment, go figure! The only thing I could salvage from the Fenix on Indoor Rowing mode was the numbers above. I had the auto lap set to 500m to see if it picked up the internal accelerator. It did but must have thought I was swimming. The activity synced to Garmin Connect the moment I plugged it into the lap top.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement