Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I am learning more about rowing and its lingo than I ever imagined. I'm still pretty lost while reading most of your rowing posts, but it's getting easier to follow. So, did you use a 1 minute rest/recovery between your "pieces"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Rep 3 Max hr 179 and 1:48.6/500 avg. Nearly dropped the handle, hung on
    Rep 4 Max hr 180 and 1:48.3/500 avg. Pain cave. Had to dig deep.

Liking this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@hoochiedoubleD - took 2 mins active recovery. Jargon? I haven't even sat into a boat yet! This log could be as cryptic as our esteemed Mr interested's splash splash notes! I endeavour to explain as I row...

Wednesday August 21 2013

Plan: Swim 10*200m off 3:30

The usual 40 minute window for a quick dip while shotgun junior did his final lesson for a while. The lessons are seriously popular and the wait list doesn't open until end October :mad: Anyway I tend to create a set to make the most of the window. After 200m easy finding my stroke I got stuck in. The aim was to hold a strong steady pace and not burn too early. The first rep was a tad hasty but I had some traffic to negotiate. Good lane etiquette made the set constant. I went off on the button and did it all by feel. I started to feel it on the last 3 reps and had to both work harder and take extra strokes. Overall I mainly focused on rolling the hips and maintaining a high elbow throughout. Solid session. Felt good. :)

Actual: 2,300m total inc 10*200m off 3:30 in on 3:02/3:09/3:07/3:07/3:06/3:07/3:07/3:07/3:06/3:02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Actual: 2,300m total inc 10*200m off 3:30 in on 3:02/3:09/3:07/3:07/3:06/3:07/3:07/3:07/3:06/3:02

Lovely splits, it's easy to read your mind as they went on: toofast/tooslow/justright/justright/justright/justright/justright/justright/manI'mgood/booya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Our club is doing a 4.6k swim in Lough Derg on 14th Sept. You are more than welcome to join us shotgun

• Advertisement

And you had even disclosed your 2 minute recovery in your original poat. :o Oops!! Must be my chocolate depravation catching up with me.

@Kurt - LOL pretty close
    @Solobally - thanks I'll keep that in mind :)
    @DD - you are mad :D

Thursday August 22 2013

Session 1 Plan: Short easy run

Uneventful trot around the quays before work. Half asleep. Some kind of time at some kind of pace. Felt OK but for some bizarre reason the Achilles felt tight on this one :confused:

Actual: 8km eeeeasy

Session 2 Plan: Erg 2*5,000m Hard low rate pieces with 5min recovery

The idea was to pull 2 strong steady 5,000m pieces. Hard but not red zone. The first one was at 20 strokes per minute. I felt good right away and sustained a good split. Hr climbed to 170 so there was some juice left for the second 5k. After 5 minutes rowing very light I took the rate up to 22 and poured on the same effort. I set a target of knocking 20 seconds off the first piece. It was going well enough for the first half but from there I struggled. The hr climbed to 176 for a finish and it was hard work. My legs ached. My shoulders burned. The blisters deepened. I cooled down for 5min afterwards. Wrecked.. so much for avoiding the red zone!

Actual: 12,316m in 47:42 inc
    5,000m @20 spm in 18:58 avg 1:53.9/500m
    5,000m @22 spm in 18:44 avg 1:52.4/500m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Session 2 Plan: Erg 2*5,000m Hard low rate pieces with 5min recovery

The idea was to pull 2 strong steady 5,000m pieces. Hard but not red zone. The first one was at 20 strokes per minute. I felt good right away and sustained a good split. Hr climbed to 170 so there was some juice left for the second 5k. After 5 minutes rowing very light I took the rate up to 22 and poured on the same effort. I set a target of knocking 20 seconds off the first piece. It was going well enough for the first half but from there I struggled. The hr climbed to 176 for a finish and it was hard work. My legs ached. My shoulders burned. The blisters deepened. I cooled down for 5min afterwards. Wrecked.. so much for avoiding the red zone!

Actual: 12,316m in 47:42 inc
    5,000m @20 spm in 18:58 avg 1:53.9/500m
    5,000m @22 spm in 18:44 avg 1:52.4/500m

This is now officially my favourite log!! :D I miss the erg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm starting to be reminded of why I used to hate the ergo and ergo tests :D Would still love to get one though.

I'm assuming you'll be getting back on the water in September or October once the crews resume training?

Sunday August 25 2013

Plan: Erg 60mins aerobic at rate 18 and capped hr<155

Started the week with some good intentions. Even started the week good on delivering the plan. Thursday evening it shuddered to a halt with a calf cramp from hell. Just sitting on the couch, bang! Gripped like a vice and twisted ever tighter :mad: WTF?!! Out of the blue. I've woken up with these before in the middle of the night. Not pleasant. This one hurt. It took a good 10 minutes to even massage it gently. It was just too sore to run. Nothing done all weekend. Salvaged it with an hour on the erg this evening. Aerobic hour. Calf held up. Real concerns about getting through a marathon now. I'll remain optimistic about a 3:30 run with a couple of boards hoochies if I can get a bit of running done ..:)

Actual: Erg 60min at rate 18, avg hr 147 Max 155, 14,633m, pace 2:02.7/500m

Weekly Summary
    Running: 19.65km in 2:17:42
    Rowing: 34,644m in 2:23:16
    Swimming: 5.8km in 1:43:00
    S&C: 0:15:00
    Weight Check: 81.4kg or 179.4 lbs - basically no change. Lost 0.5lb

• Advertisement

If you are laying the ground work to bag running DCM, then you better get your pom poms out of retirement and have your best cheerleading smile at the finish line when I cross!! That's right, I expect you there whether or not you run. We've a date for some pizza and a story. !!!!! :)

@Dory Dory - that we do, that we do... not counting myself out of a run yet though

Monday August 26 2013

Session 1 Plan: Easy Lunchtime Run

It was looking doubtful that I'd get away from the madness. My work run buddy swung by to see if I was heading out but I just shook my head. Two long minutes later, a window opened and I legged it. I thought he had left already so I transitioned from suit to running shoes in double time. I wore the Sketchers and instantly felt light and bouncy. I thought 2-3km of a solid tempo pace would reel him in.

10 minutes passed and I was already sweating after the first hill. I thought I saw him about 400m ahead just disappearing into the park. I pressed on and around the park but no sign :confused: I had a downhill section to the quays and maintained the pace. Still no sign. I probably should have backed off but I was enjoying the work. I maintained the pace over the rest of the loop including the hills to arrive back at work sweating and breathing heavily. I don't usually do tempo at lunch so it was a sizeable pb for the route too. Tired but felt good :D

Actual: 8.1km in 34:01, pace 4:12

Session 2 Plan: Row short solid piece rate 20

Short enough to fit into a small window of opportunity. Solid enough to pass for a workout. Held rock steady 20 strokes a minute. Next benchmark session is a 30r20 again soon so I held my last test pace. Good piece, although another 10 minutes would have been tough!

Actual: Erg 20min 5,225m, avg rate 20, pace 1:54.8/500m

Tuesday August 27 2013

Session 1 Plan: Hilly Lunchtime Run

Out the door with my work run buddy this time. Very heavy and humid out there, sweating almost instantly. We planned a couple of 3 minute hard bits amidst a steady aerobic pace. The first one was actually about 2 minutes through the park and he hung on. The second 3 minutes down the quays and I felt it. I felt this run. He was aiming for 39 mins for the loop and I left him off at 38 and change to do 2 more hills. The hills knocked it out of me. I was sweating for another half hour after my shower. My buddy was pumped after it and now wants to do a tempo once a week. Suits me...

Actual: 9.85km in 46:20, pace 4:44

Session 2 Plan: Row 4*15mins, 2 hard & 2 easy<155hr with 2min recovery

3rd day in a row for the rower and 2 straight days running. I should have taken stock of that. Not a lot in comparison to other times but more than I I've done in months in that space of time. My body was tired and this was too ambitious. The first 15mins was hard. I held a tough pace rating 20. I was a good piece but a max heart rate of 170 with 3 more pieces to go was not good news. After 2 mins light recovery I did the next piece easy holding the effort under 155 hr. It should have felt aerobic and recovered me for another hard piece. Instead I felt drained after it and ditched the rest of the planned session. I just didn't have the juice to push again and it would have taken a huge effort just to repeat the first piece. Don't feel bad bailing, it was the right decision. I was gasping.

Actual: 34mins 8,222m inc
    15min rate 20 pace 1:53.6/500m max hr 170
    15min rate 20 pace 2:06.1/500m max hr 156

Wednesday August 28 2013

Plan: Row 60mins aerobic at rate 18 and capped hr<155

Exhausted today. Sleepless night. Work mad. Brought shotgun junior for a swim assessment to determine his level for lessons at a different pool. More of a commute but worth it. Thought about taking a day off (as if I hadn't taken one in ashes :rolleyes:) but swallowed a htfu tab and sat on the erg for an hour steady state. I set the pace boat (a little pacemaker on the display) to 2:04/500m pace average. I held a steady 18spm but my hr climbed steadily throughout. Hit the session target and in a better rhythm than I expected. Hit a training target of 100,000m for the month in the process. Decent session considering how I felt to start..

Actual: Erg 60min at rate 18, avg hr 148 Max 155, 14,521m, pace 2:03.9/500m

Weekly Summary
    Running: 17.95km in 1:20:0
    Rowing: 27,968m in 1:54:0
    Swimming: 0km
    S&C: 0:20:0
    Weight Check: 81.9kg or 180.5 lbs - gained 1.1lbs

Started the week with good intentions. Took the Mrs away to Kerry for the weekend instead. Long run swapped for hours of trekking and deep apple pie from Jam in Kenmare yum! Swim race in Wicklow next week. A couple of swims this week should see me right eh? :rolleyes: DCM plan is sort of like erm 10m long run next week, then 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, taper, 26.2. Doable right?

Tuesday September 03 2013

Session 1 Plan: Lunchtime Tempo Run

Belted out the door into the warm sunshine. Glorious day for running. I wore the Sketchers and felt bouncy again. I love how they feel for the first few kms until I get tired and my form and foot strike fall backwards. My pb for the route was 34:01 so I maintained the same pace through the park and into town. The last 2km are the toughest and I knew they would be tough. There are a lot of roadworks en route these days so there is a fair bit of sudden turns. I like running around town on my lunch. It breaks up the day and there is something satisfying to getting all the way across town and away from the madness. The low point was my Sketchers getting stuck to some freshly pressed tarmac. Ah well, I worked hard and bagged a new pb for the route of 33:49. I was wrecked and trotted very very slowly around the carpark much to the amusement of the smokers :)

Actual: 8.91km in 38:39

Session 2 Plan: Row 40 minute piece an low rate

Basically a straight piece at as good a pace as I could hold at 20-22 strokes per minute without a break. I set off steady. I really should have gone for a swim but didn't fancy the drive. This weekend race will be interesting. Anyway I got to 20 minutes and my body and mind were struggling. I bargained with myself to hold the pace until my heart rate hit 170 or I reached 10k. Whatever came first. The 170hr mark came on 31 minutes and change and I was over the mental block. It was just a matter of digging in. That I did. It was tough at the end but session done :)

Body generally feeling it after 5 full days of inactivity :o

Actual: Erg 40mins 10,198m, avg pace 1:57.6/500m avg hr 167 max 179!

Wednesday September 04 2013

Session 1 Plan: Early group swim

Been 2 weeks since last swim, longer since last group session. Busy fast lane. The Fish have since been eaten and only Sharks lurked eyeing each other up. Waterpolo Boy was going to have company for once. He lead out anyway stringing them out and leaving me in their wake. The main set was 7 sets of 200/100. The Coach called 20 seconds rest from the first swimmer in. I Barely made it in before the last swimmer left the wall. It was basically a straight 2,100m main set for me and I gasped my way through it. No idea what pace the Sharks were doing, playing about with Medley swimming too they were, the cheek!

I imagined being lapped by a Shark meant being eaten so I swam for my life. I survived. After a short breather draped over the lane rope like a wet towel I horsed into 8*50m off 55sec. It was carnage. The Coach set the task of holding the same split for each one. I held 38-39secs for each and was seeing stars for a finish. This would have felt tough even if I was fit. Still I had to hold on to prove to myself I had enough residual fitness to get through 3.9km in a lake on Sunday.

Actual: 3,500m in 62mins

Session 2 Plan: Hilly lunchtime run

My run buddy and I left together for a change so I could pace it evenly. It was warm and the sun singed the back of my neck. It was his tempo day and he wanted to run 38mins for the 8km. Grand. The run has 3 sections to it. The Park, The Quays and the Drag. We were bang on pace through the park but he was breathing heavy. The Quays are a an obstacle course of construction work and I started breathing heavy after the constant sidestepping. Onto the drag and he was dropping off. I was feeling it too after yesterday's effort but I would not back off. My heart beat felt like it could be heard above the traffic din. I clocked 37 and he arrived in on 38:01, job done :) Superman shower and transition, swallowed a roll whole and I was back an my desk before the smokers like nothing happened... except for the beads of sweat dropping from the tip of my nose onto my keyboard :D

Actual: 8km in 37:11

Friday September 06 2013

Session 1 Plan: Short easy run

Basically an out an back half hour cautious run. My hip flexor had been giving me trouble and was stiff to start. It loosened out and felt better for a finish. Nothing interesting to report. Noticeable cooler today.

Actual: 6.05km in 30mins. Pace 4:57

Session 2 Plan: Swim 3*1km off descending times

Headed over to the Arena after work looking forward to this. I need a swim before Sunday. Just to get a feel for the stroke. More for a psychological boost than anything. No faith in training 'cause there has been none. I know Kurt has a target on my back and he might just take the scalp! Anyway turns out I forgot my togs :mad: Muppet! I contemplated swimming in my jocks but there were too many kids around. Instead I opted for a row in the gym.

The new plan became 10*2min pieces on the erg rating 27-28. I aimed to hit an average pace of 1:48/500m for each. I felt pretty good surprisingly after late night watching Dexter (cool series). I had just 60sec light rowing recoveries between reps. It was tough work but a good session overall :)

Actual: Row 40mins inc 10*2min @ 1:46.8/500m rate 27-28, total 10,442m

No faith in training 'cause there has been none. I know Kurt has a target on my back and he might just take the scalp! Anyway turns out I forgot my togs :mad: Muppet! I contemplated swimming in my jocks but there were too many kids around. Instead I opted for a row in the gym.

Oh I had a good laugh at this! I haven't swim trained in a few weeks, what will be will be. The only way I'm beating you is if you forget your togs again on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

MCOS the comedian :)

If I thought that your swimming had reversed so much that there was any chance of taking your scalp I'd be hot footing it back from the Lost Sheep tonight to do so :)

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    MCOS the comedian :)

If I thought that your swimming had reversed so much that there was any chance of taking your scalp I'd be hot footing it back from the Lost Sheep tonight to do so :)

I so second that comment. Sheesh!!! ;)

@KG - If the planets aligned as such I would imagine Barbie would dive straight in to beat you and chick us both in the process... :)
    @Griffin - well done today in Cork

Saturday September 07 2013

Plan: Medium long run at RPE Marathon Pace

After a long day at work today and tedious week in general I didn't feel much like a run. With a round trip to Wicklow and a swim in the middle tomorrow I had to take this window. Summer has gone. In comparison to recent weeks it was cold, wet and windy. The annoying, slightly heavier than drizzly, kinda rain. The plan was to run 2 8.8km laps of my local suburbia. Lap 1 at perceived marathon pace and lap 2 a tad' quicker.

I have no idea what my target marathon pace is as I haven't the fitness nor form to benchmark from. I knew the route an distance and just looked at my Casio Protrek twice, at half way and the end. With just 7 weeks to the Marathon there is no time for slow long run base development. I ran at what I felt Marathon pace would feel like after half way. Despite hills feeling laboured lap 1 passed well. I turned to double back over the lap in reverse and clocked the second lap 90 seconds quicker. The effort was more taxing but solid. Aerobically I felt fine but the legs were a bit shocked. The hammers were tight for a finish and the right Achilles tight too.

Actual:
    Lap 1: 8.8km in 37:45, pace 4:17
    Lap 2: 8.8km in 35:54, pace 4:04 :eek:
    Overall: 17.6km in 73:39, pace 4:11.

Too fast. Not a chance I'll hold this pace for 42.2. Decent run though :) I'm wondering now how that will affect the long swim tomorrow morning?

Haha, great minds think alike!:D I'm sure there is something in Sandbagging 101 about running 17.5k, faster and longer than you've gone in ages, the night before a big swim race. I'm on beer number 6 (330m bottles), hope that will give me the excuse edge I need! See ya tomorrow:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Betsies Oryx beats you both

Sunday September 08 2013

Glendalough OW Swim 3.9km

The alarm rang for 0530 and I very nearly rolled over and missed this lovely race. It was an ominous drive up in the rain. The temp showed 9 degrees. My bladder was weak too which happens when I'm nervous. Why nervous? Sure 3.9km is just that bit longer than the usual swim sets! I've done it twice with long bikes and runs after it. The problem was the lack of those swim sets and the lack of OW swimming this summer. I don't know. Perhaps it was the panic attack during the Warrior of the Sea swim in Sligo. I met Oryx, Kurt and another mate of mine before hand and shot the breeze. This calmed me down somewhat.

Its a stunning venue. The mountains flank the small rectangular lake like an amphitheatre. A stream runs down a valley on the distant opposite side to the bank on which 140 souls in yellow hats had gathered for the briefing. It was chilly. Our loved ones wore hats and scarves. The water on the other hand, was lovely albeit choppy. I started at the front to get some space early. It was an excited start but not too rough. I swam hard for about 2 minutes and was surprised to still be surrounded by 20 or so yellow hats. I had 2 sets of feet creating a turbine wash in front of me and got sucked along :D 2 laps to do. 6 large yellow buoys per lap to navigate in clockwise order.

I felt good to start and loved being back in open water. By the second buoy it had thinned out and I was in more or less the chase pack of 6 behind 3 leaders who had broken free. I maintained my draft on the feet with the biggest kick up to the 3rd buoy when we turned right. I took the tightest line and found myself leading the chase pack. Way too gung ho! The next buoy was about 150m ahead before a turn right again for a 800m swim back to the bank. I pushed the pace to try and bridge the gap but couldn't make it. I was burning matches rapidly in the process too and let it go. I turned right again and was joined by 3 others. We remained as a group to the turnaround but I was hanging onto them for dear life.

The chop seemed to pick up for the second lap and my group split within 100m. I was tailing the big kick guy again, practically ex foliating the soles of his feet :D I'm sure he wasn't pleased. He swam wide of the buoys obviously aiming for the 3rd one ahead or trying to shake me off. 2 others hugged the buoys. I stayed on his feet for a good 700m to the first right turn again. The other 2 were moving faster and I was swimming as well as I could to hang onto my draft. I broke right to join the other 2 at one point but it was a mistake. I couldn't bridge and had to chase the big kick guy hard to rejoin. I did also try to overtake him to do a turn but I didn't have the power left.

We turned right a second time for the last 800m stretch. I was really feeling it now and could do nothing when my propeller feet took off in chase of the other 2 who had gapped us. I just didn't have it to chase. I tried to raise the cadence, pull harder, reach more etc.. but no speed came. I was going backwards. I was swimming alone for the first time and struggling. I followed the line of the swimmers ahead. They were 3 abreast and looked to be racing it out. I could tell the biggest splash came from a set of feet I was comfortably drafting on lap one. I understood that I had swam above my threshold and my lack of fitness was making me pay for it now. My shoulders burned and my calves started to cramp which ruled out a final kick.

With 400m to go I glanced back over my right shoulder to see 3 more bearing down on me. I was thrashing the water at this stage willing the finish to come closer. I drifted right to try to join the first 2 but I couldn't match their speed. By the last buoy the 3rd guy was still a few meters behind me but he had a straighter line to the finish. I knew I was close to the top 10 so I went all out. He responded and we raced the last 50m. I breathed to my right, he to his left. It wasn't about who would swim faster. It was about who would give up. I was spent but the adrenalin of racing and finishing got me a body length ahead.

I finished in 61 and change which was much better than I anticipated. I had been hanging since about 3k though. It wasn't pretty. There were no reserves. I left it all out there. No results yet but Caz reckons I was 10 or 11 out of the water. I'll take that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

A sub 60 IM swim.......Who needs training? Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cracking stuff Mike. Fair play. :cool:

Weekly Summary
    Running: 40.56km in 3:00:06
    Rowing: 20,640m in 1:20:00
    Swimming: 7.4km in 2:03:22
    S&C: 0:00:0
    Weight Check: 81.7kg or 180 lbs - lost 0.4lbs

Glendalough OW Swim result: 12th in 1:01:22 :) Lost a few places in the end due to the over eager first lap. Still very pleased with this.

No training today, just didn't feel like it. I didn't hit all planned sessions again last week but the weekend proved 2 things.
    1)I'm doing the Marathon. 3:30 bus vs Fly or Die tactic TBC
    2)I like swimming :)

Tuesday September 10 2013

Plan: Short Steady Stress Relief Run

Really heavy day. Started with an eye opening health check. Got a shock. Heavy day at the office. Needed exercise badly. Simple trot around suburbia with a heavy mind. Something clicked. Felt better for a finish. Lots of runners and dog walkers out on a mild calm autumn evening. Darkness is falling quicker every day. I'm looking forward to winter training already.

Actual: 9km in 40:16, pace 4:28, runners counted 18, dogs counted 9

• Advertisement

Weekly Summary
    Running: 40.56km in 3:00:06
    Rowing: 20,640m in 1:20:00
    Swimming: 7.4km in 2:03:22
    S&C: 0:00:0
    Weight Check: 81.7kg or 180 lbs - lost 0.4lbs

Glendalough OW Swim result: 12th in 1:01:22 :) Lost a few places in the end due to the over eager first lap. Still very pleased with this.

No training today, just didn't feel like it. I didn't hit all planned sessions again last week but the weekend proved 2 things.
    1)I'm doing the Marathon. 3:30 bus vs Fly or Die tactic TBC
    2)I like swimming :)

Fantastic!

(and congrats on an awesome swim. you can't hide class, you know. ;))

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement