Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Chest acting up so no running or commuting. Doing nothing was driving me demented. I've started referring to training as 'exercise' which is indicative of how far I've slipped. Morning windows are my main current opportunity to 'exercise' :rolleyes: and I've simply failed to get up lately.

New attitude at 5 this morning and some 'exercise' logged :)

8,000m row in 30:59. Average 223w. Good piece. Started at 205w and built it every km to 240w. Hit the top of Z4 but no higher. Happy with this

Turbo easy 60 mins after the row. I had intended a little longer but the downstairs heating came on at 50 mins and within 10 MIBs I was toast. Avg 217w

A few minutes doing ground exercises including a 4 minute shaky sweaty plank

2nd session of the week and basically a carbon copy of the last one

8,000m row in 31mins avg 222w. Had a pace boat set to the last piece but hr hit 185 (pain cave) and I ran out of steam. 30:59.6 last time, 31:00.6 this time. Exactly 1 second behind but max heart rate was 12 beats higher and mid Z5 vs top of Z4. PB is 29:52 so a long way to go yet. I emptied the tank on that effort.

Took a few minutes to get breathing back to steady before hopping on the turbo. An hour easy intended but heart rate avg 141 is more steady aerobic. Anyway, done.

Between the bike fall and respiratory problems the last 2 weeks it just been a disaster. Onward and upwards now..

Alex moved from his swim academy to a cadet 10 week trial to get into the Junior squad with the local swim club. Its very competitive. He can only make one of 2 lane sessions because the other clashes with rugby. So, I coach his second swim. No idea how many will make it but he is up against 25 others and is one of youngest. One week he was doing a 40 min lesson, now an hour lane swim session encompassing all strokes and proper kicking drills. Its inspiring watching them all giving it socks. I miss swimming. Going back this week :)

A Swim woohoo :D For once I dragged my ass out of bed for the early start. 4 busy lanes. Nemesis and the Technician in the Shark lane. No chance of even holding on to the back of that crowd so into the next lane down. To be honest my ambition was just to get through the main set. Swim fitness is the fastest to go and months out is almost back to scratch territory. I slotted into the middle of the group for a 2.4k main set off modest repeat times. I moved up a few places but didn't exhaust myself. Apart from surviving the set, it was a focus on simple long stroke and high elbow.

The main set
    400 in 6:47
    2*200 in 3:19/3:23
    400 in 6:54
    4*100 in 1:38/1:38/1:42/1:41
    400 in 6:57
    8*50 in 51-54 secs

The times are irrelevant. I'm unfit. Just happy to get it done. The pace in the middle lane was a bit up and down. I got out before a kicking set and felt good. The lane order seems to be well established so my next goal is leading it out. 4-5 ahead of me. Once that is achieved I'll need to find about 10 sec per 100 to join the fast lane. The immediate goal is getting another swim this week :)

Later an easy 8.4km mixed terrain run with a work buddy. The pace was 5:14 and the heart rate a ridiculous 152 avg for that. :( What to expect when I haven't run in weeks. Just happy to get a couple of sessions down and 1,333 kcals burned.

The lane order seems to be well established so my next goal is leading it out. 4-5 ahead of me........ The immediate goal is getting another swim this week :)
    1.5 steps. Another swim and lead half of the set out:)

2 swims in a week, woohoo :) 3,000m total

300m mixed stroke warm up
    3*200 in on 3:16/3:16/3:14
    6*100 in on 1:35/1:39/1:38/1:39/1:41/1:40
    3*200 in on 3:11/3:15/3:17
    6*100 in on 1:43/1:46/1:45/1:45/1:45/1:43
    6*50 kick

Odd set. The first 200s I left 5 sec gap and closed it so the lane pace was more like 3:20. Same on the 100s. They were supposed to be fast 50 out and slow 50 return but the pace didn't really vary :rolleyes: I then took over leading out and hit similar 200 times but at a higher effort :cool: Leading out is more honest work than coasting on feet. It stretched the group out but I still had 4 on my tail throughout. The 100s then I did properly as 50 hard 50 slow. All in all ok swim. There was about 50m in there somewhere that I enjoyed.

Later 90 minutes on the turbo. Ipod was dead and tablet keep freezing so this was booooring! Good day with 1,995 kcals burned.

In other news.. Team #TriHarderAR has entered the Beast. Same Boards team as last year but anyone interested in joining Team #TriHarderAR, give me a shout as we may need someone to step in if any of us need to bow out. Or indeed we might get a second Boards represented #TriHarderAR Team in!

The Beast of Ballyhoura - Tuesday 28th July to Monday 3rd August 2015

Class: Mixed

Team Name: #TriHarderAR
    Team Nationality: Irish
    Team Website details: http://triharderar.com/
    Team Facebook details: https://www.facebook.com/triharderAR
    Other Social Media details: https://twitter.com/TriHarderAR

First tentative session back after a couple of weeks ill. Away with work and cannot tax the respiratory system yet so it was gym a first light. Every cardio machine taken except a bike so I sat on for 30 mins spinning just hard enough to keep it aerobic. Then some weights. It has been so long since I was in a gym that I just stared around the room for what seemed like an eternity. Finally decided on 4 sets of 10 mins work.

1. 14kg dbs shoulder press & lat raise combo 15,10,5 each then 60 lunges, no rest and weights are not left down once
    2. 40kg lat pull down wide grip & 40kg chest press combo, 90 reps no rest alt every 15
    3. 16kg dbs single arm bent over row 90 reps no rest alt every 15
    4. Various mat exercise, planks etc..

The weights were all light but the combination of high reps each done with proper technique and no rest made this a solid 40 mins work. Glutes were cramping on the lunges and the bent over rows burned. All good :)

• Advertisement

A run :) Very cautious 5.36km on the urban obstacle course. Out for 29 mins but running for 25+ with all the stopping and dodging. HR high due to the simple noise and heat. Legs ok, feeling the lunges earlier :cool: Lungs better but maybe 75% so I need to monitor. I thought about a swim but the pool is 15m, outdoors, in the eternal shade of the skyscraper across the road and bloody cold. My lungs would shrivel up if I hopped in. Shame, I'd love a swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

A run :) Very cautious 5.36km on the urban obstacle course. Out for 29 mins but running for 25+ with all the stopping and dodging. HR high due to the simple noise and heat. Legs ok, feeling the lunges earlier :cool: Lungs better but maybe 75% so I need to monitor. I thought about a swim but the pool is 15m, outdoors, in the eternal shade of the skyscraper across the road and bloody cold. My lungs would shrivel up if I hopped in. Shame, I'd love a swim.

15m pool! Sure you don't need lungs, you could set a 400m PB while smoking a pipe bouncing off the walls ;)

Hope you're recovering quickly, back into the water soon. OW season is just around the corner!

Work hours changed today so had to get up and get at it.
    Gym again

30 mins on the treadmill 6.05km
    12kg dbs shoulder press, lat raise, lunges, biceps and dips combo. 180 reps no rest.
    40kg chest press, lat pulldown combo 90 reps no rest alt every 15
    16kg db bent over row 120 reps no rest alt every 10
    Various planks and abs

The body is both stiff and jet lagged. 70 mins moving and thats all I had. I dropped the weights for the lunges as glutes were in a jock. The treadmill was fine but heart rate in the clouds. Bringing the endurance nature to the gym burns :) Once the body adapts I'll up the weight to continue the satisfying pain of burning away that sugar weight bit by bit.

Bloody chest driving me mad. Ended course of steroids, no joy. Managed to get a whole box of them for a fraction of the cost at home. No prescription but validated by Caz.

Anyway, out till 6am after work. Skyped home, Kipped until 11 and staggered down to the gym.

30 laboured, sweaty minutes on the treadmill. Chest not happy.
    100 reps of 40kg chest press & lat pull down no rest
    100 reps of 12-16kg dbs shoulders, row, lunge combo no rest

Thats all I could do. Just needed to burn some of the junk kcals.

Mad weekend. Out until 5am Friday night, 7am Sat night. Great craice though. Yesterday was a write off and I needed the rest as much as the sleep.

Ventured out for a run this morning. Even though it was morning it was still hot and very humid. 1.5km of urban chaos beneath the sky scrapers and suspended road ways dodging all sorts of things and I found a posh estate guarded on all sides with a security barrier. Not sure what they knew what to make of the white guy jogging in! A few km around the quiet private estate on streets named, Harvard, Berkely, Notre Dame and a road named Wack Wack leading to Wack Wack Golf Club :D Not a lot of shade though so I had to stop a few times to drink some warm water and catch my breath. There were a couple of little hills and noticeably less smog so I think I will return. It a damn sight safer than the last route I attempted.

Arrived back at the hotel with a red face and hit the gym.

3 Sets of (below), 1 minute rest bewteen sets
    15 Shoulder Press 12kg db
    30 lunges
    15 dips
    30 bicep curls 12kg db
    10 burpees

Then
    100 reps of 45kg chest press, lat pull down combo no rest
    120 reps of 18kg bent over db row alternating every 10 no rest
    4x8 reps of 70kg squat
    planks and abs

Good session overall. I increased the weight slightly and it burned. The squats were short reps as I haven't done them in years and I knew poor technique or too much weight can pull a hamstring or glute easily.
    1,260 kcals burned, 1.4L of water for the session and I was still thirsty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Loving your training log shotgunmcos, thank you :) It's giving me an idea of where I need to be at to have any hope of keeping up with the others on team ARSE

Thanks Neady83 :) Following yours too given the mutual A Goal. Not training anywhere near where want to be right now but hey, dong what I can.

Run today. Short enough window before work. Saw clouds in the sky and ventured out. It felt a bit cooler. I was blocked access to the, what is a millionaires estate, by security with huge rifles so had to run in the chaotic smog filled streets. An out and back so as not to get lost and you need your wits about you. On this run I saw a lad knocked off his motorbike,though not hurt as it is impossible to drive at any speed. I was also offered a business card selling wives. 8.63km in a shade under 44 minutes. My longest run in a long time.

Straight to the gym afterwards for 2 sets of
    20x12kg db shoulderpress, 40 lunges, 20 push ups, 20 dips, 20 burpees, 20x45kg chest press, 20x45kg lat pull down, 30 leg raise, 20 cruches, 1 minute plank

Then 60 minutes spinning on the bike. All in 1,690 kcals burned. Wrecked!

40 mins treadmill this morning 8.38km. Followed by 20 mins core work on the mat.

Low energy today. It took more concentration than it should.

I think the Chest is finally starting to clear. 3 weeks of steroids it took. Not full steam ahead but I managed to get through a late night Karaoke session without a fit :D

The gulf between rich and poor in this City is enourmous. In the middle of a chaotic metropolis, a quiet, smog free village with its own 18 hole golf course and heavy security on the NSEW entrances. I managed to sneak in there for a run a few days ago but the security saw me coming next time and blocked me. I was thus forced to run on down a road that deteriorated in social class the further I went. Last night I took a wander around to clear my head after a bizarre day at work and saw the homeless appearing from shadows rummaging for anything they could find.

Today I took a different route. I ran away from the eternal sky scraper shadows of the financial district and found a reasonably quiet road with a mix of sun and shade. Here I did 4x1km up and down it wth 500m tempo and 500m slow. It was tough going in 30 degrees and my right calf felt tight. My HR hit Z5 easily but was slow to recover fom it. On my way back to my hotel I spotted a red Lamboroghini Gallardo emerging from an enterance to what looked like another posh estate. You don't see many nice cars here so I just watched it pull away. I was about to set off when a Blue Ford Mustang GT also emerged between a few high end Jeeps. Each one having to wait a moment before pulling into traffic. Then to my delight my dream car a stunning red Ferrari 458 Italia casually pulled out and posed in all of its beauty for a couple of minutes before pulling out and driving off for its Sunday drive.

I had a slog up ahill after that. My bottle of water was as warm as tea and my calf was giving out. All in all I was out for 50 mins, running for 36:02 ad 7.81km covered.

Into the Gym upon my return for

2X (15 Shoulder Press 12kg dbs, 30 Lunges with 16kg over the head on each rep, 20 dip, 10 chins ups on loops, 20 bicep curls 12 kg dbs and 30 burpees)
    100 reps of 45kg chest press/lat pull down
    100 reps of 18kg db bent over row
    2x 1 min planks, 30 leg raises, 30 supermans and 60 sit ups.. ouch!

All in about 989 kcals burned :)

9 hours sleep woohoo!

Giving the body a break from elevated heart rates today.
    1 hour easy spinning on the gym bike
    25 minutes Yoga

Yoga is brilliant and I have completely neglected it :(

Looking forward to getting home and getting out on my bike, my rower, fresh air, swimming...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I think the Chest is finally starting to clear. 3 weeks of steroids it took. Not full steam ahead but I managed to get through a late night Karaoke session without a fit :D

Yay for the chest :) I didn't know you could sing. A man of many talents ;)
    The gulf between rich and poor in this City is enourmous. In the middle of a chaotic metropolis, a quiet, smog free village with its own 18 hole golf course and heavy security on the NSEW entrances. I managed to sneak in there for a run a few days ago but the security saw me coming next time and blocked me. I was thus forced to run on down a road that deteriorated in social class the further I went. Last night I took a wander around to clear my head after a bizarre day at work and saw the homeless appearing from shadows rummaging for anything they could find.

Today I took a different route. I ran away from the eternal sky scraper shadows of the financial district and found a reasonably quiet road with a mix of sun and shade. Here I did 4x1km up and down it wth 500m tempo and 500m slow. It was tough going in 30 degrees and my right calf felt tight. My HR hit Z5 easily but was slow to recover fom it. On my way back to my hotel I spotted a red Lamboroghini Gallardo emerging from an enterance to what looked like another posh estate. You don't see many nice cars here so I just watched it pull away. I was about to set off when a Blue Ford Mustang GT also emerged between a few high end Jeeps. Each one having to wait a moment before pulling into traffic. Then to my delight my dream car a stunning red Ferrari 458 Italia casually pulled out and posed in all of its beauty for a couple of minutes before pulling out and driving off for its Sunday drive.

I had a slog up ahill after that. My bottle of water was as warm as tea and my calf was giving out. All in all I was out for 50 mins, running for 36:02 ad 7.81km covered.

Is this a game where we try to guess where you are? Like 'Where's Wally' except it's 'Where's MCOS' :D I need more clues :D
    Into the Gym upon my return for

2X (15 Shoulder Press 12kg dbs, 30 Lunges with 16kg over the head on each rep, 20 dip, 10 chins ups on loops, 20 bicep curls 12 kg dbs and 30 burpees)
    100 reps of 45kg chest press/lat pull down
    100 reps of 18kg db bent over row
    2x 1 min planks, 30 leg raises, 30 supermans and 60 sit ups.. ouch!

All in about 989 kcals burned :)

Good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Based on last weeks announcement I can only assume he's in the Philippines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    Based on last weeks announcement I can only assume he's in the Philippines

Ah no Manila is only up the road from Ballysimon :D

@ career_move -most densely populated city in the world ;)

Yesterday was work work work and then browsing job market until wee hours. Managed to get out of bed on the first alarm or a change.

Run
    Out for an hour but only running for 48 minutes of it. Approx 9.2 meandering km. No matter what turn I took, smog, cars, Jeepneys, bikes, beeping, shouting, concrete, broken roads, noise..... I managed to find a b!tch of a hill too. It was only 300m but running up a steep gradient in 29 degrees is heart thumping stuff. Already looking forward to running up a hill or a trail or even a country road. Running in this city sucks :(

Gym
    Amuses the smiley desk guys n' gals at the desk no end when white boy arrives back with a red face. I hit the gym straight away.

Opted for Kettlebells over Dumbells for a change

12kg kb 60 reps lift and press alternate each arm.
    20kg kb 30 reps 2 handed swings
    20kg kb 20 reps turkish get ups
    30 dips
    30 burpees

1 minute rest
    Repeat above - Ouch!

1 minute rest
    6x20 reps 45kg chest press/lt pull down - burn!

1 minute rest
    16kg kb 6x15 single arm row using bench to hold plank also - OMG Ouch!!

3 minutes rest cause I was in bits
    60 sec plank
    30 leg raise
    60 sec plank
    50 twisting crunches
    60 sec plank
    30 slow cruches - burn!
    60 sec plank
    50 supermans

Easily 1,000 kcals all in with the run and gym. Awesome workout, kettlebells are the bomb. They pull in so many other minor muscle groups than DBs and noticeable engage the core too.

All work and no play (well except drinking lots of beer)

After a few days off I got out for a run. 33 degrees! Stifling hot. Ran an out and back twice. First time back up a long hill was ok but the second time I felt increasingly nautious. Quick stop to vomit a few times under a tree with dozens of spectators fascinated with the white man out running in the first place! Walk/jogged back to the hotel. Hit the gym but wasn't feeling it. Bailed after 10 minutes. I don't like running here. The gym bike is horrendous. Looking forward to getting home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I don't like running here. The gym bike is horrendous. Looking forward to getting home.

There's no place like home Toto :)

Been a week or so. Virus. Gone now. Wasn't fun. The last 2 months have easily been the least healthy of my adult life I think. Life goes on.

Feeling like a human being again, hit the streets for 10.6km in 34 degrees opressive heat, ducking into bits of shade where I could. It was tough and took the bones of an hour. I walked the last km back to the hotel to let the heart rate recover. It felt like I had run 10 miles. Not ideal conditions to be running but better than the treadmill or 3am around a capital metro :)

Home and healthy :) There is a base fitness and mental tenacity deep down underneath the new layers of soft tissue. To access it I need to get fit enough to do so. It fees like starting from scratch. I know we all follow each others logs and are all eternally optimistic that we bounce back from injury, illness or otherwise MIA, AWOL or off piste within days. This is different. Literally the worst shape I've been in for ages. 4 months to the Beast. I'm focused...

Row Short Tempo
    30 minute tempo row. First session back and it hurt. This will become a weekly tempo at 22-24 spm no heart rate cap. Hit 181 max this evening for a return of 7,618m or 1:58.1/500m average pace. Miserable score but gotta start somewhere. Every 10th of a second gain on pace will be hard earned.

Good to have you back in the same timezone. Much easier messaging & not having 6 hour delays :)

@AKW cheers, let the scheming commence :D

Easy Run
    A simple half hour easing the legs back to action. A joy to breathe in fresh crisp spring air. No smog. No dodging urban craziness. No skyscrapers blocking the sun. No limp blackened smoggy droopy trees or smoggy droopy old women. No anorexic dogs and cats. No sweltering heat and humidity, I didn't have to carry a bottle of water for a 6k run! I did feel rather fat and unfit but that was the whole point of being out. All good :)

Easy Run
    Lovely trot around local suburbia. The sun shone but a slight spring chill made it relatively perfect running conditions, for me anyway. Great to see others out undoubtedly prepping for the Limerick Marathon. I'd love to be in shape to consider it but DCM looks to be the one to get the sub3 monkey off my back. I've given myself a deadline to get fit enough to train for it with an actual plan. 8.21km done at a comfortable pace. Happy days with device upgrades. Finally got the Android 5.2 for Nexus which improved it no end. I had to wipe dust off it as it had become so useless after the original lollipop upgrade. An upgrade to 4.4 for the Fenix 2 also good. GPS rapid, menu faster. All good :)

Row Short Base
    30 mins with a çapped hr. 7,118m and 173w a poor return but I didn't expect anything else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

looks like a return to regularity in the training. keep it up!!

I'd love to be in shape to consider it but DCM looks to be the one to get the sub3 monkey off my back. I've given myself a deadline to get fit enough to train for it with an actual plan. .

Amsterdam an option??

Currently plotting a revisit to finish off some old business there with sub 3:15. Week before Dublin.

@AKW - that could just morph into a plan you know!

Missed a couple of days due to Superwoman falling and smashing her hip. She has had a rough time of it the last 3 years.

Turbo Intervals a la Tunney's weekly turbo thread
    10' easy, 30sec on/off
    5x4min LTHR+5, 2' Recovery
    5' easy
    50min total 734kcals

Many moons since I last did the turboand many seasons since I did a session on one. No fan, never had one. Just opened a door beside me to let in the early am air. I found the first rep hard actually. My legs screamed dragging my HR up to the target. I thought the session was going to be beyond my fitness but the reps were rock steady at LTHR+5. I hit the target HR earlier each rep and for progressively less power. Sort of enjoyed it.

Rowing Intervals
    3x2,000m with Z4 capped HR and 3' easy
    Reps
    7:29.4 pace 1:52.3/500
    7:45.6 pace 1:56.4/500
    7:43.4 pace 1:55.8/500

Poor session. HR capped at LTHR. I was happy with the first rep but cardiac drift meant I had to back off a lot on the next 2 to maintain cap. Maybe tired after the turbo and a long day at work but in reality just unfit :( 584 kcals

• Advertisement

Easy Run
    Nice easy run around town on my lunch break. My work buddy is leaving soon so he intends to make a habit of it for the next few weeks. Suits me! 9.03km at some pace or other in warm ish spring sunshine. Chatting away like 2 ould wans. As we rounded the last corner to work we saw a massive black cloud rolling in. Just about made it in before the heavens opened and apocolyptic like hailstones tore the pant off the walls. Welcome back to Irish weather :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement