Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Missed a couple of days due to Superwoman falling and smashing her hip. She has had a rough time of it the last 3 years.
    Caroline?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@career_move: no my mum. Doing ok. In recovery for a week then no yoga for her for 6 weeks which will annoy the hell out of her

Easy Run
    Reverse of yesterdays lunchtime trot around town with my work run buddy. Running a course in reverse is like running a brand new course :) Very different conditions and a lot less chat. It was very cold, windy and lashing out of the heavens. My arms, hands, thighs were frozen and stiff. We built the pace to a tempo by half way and a surge for the last km. 8.77 km and 718 kcals. Coldest I've felt this year. My thighs glowed in teh post run hot shower. Still 2 runs in 2 days, consistency :pac: This week I said to myself just do something every day.

Its now 2 months since I last swam :(:(:( Gotta fix that. I miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Bet you can still swim rings around me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

• Advertisement

@Kurt - can't see that in work so I'll check back later.

Row Short Tempo
    A simple half hour gadual build last night. Not quite emptying the tank but close enough to that. My goal is to hit first hit 8,000m and then see if I can get a lifetime PB. 7,715m for this attempt. HR was at 165 half way and 181 solid red zone suffering for a finish. 220w average started at 200 and just nudged it along every 5 minutes to end up with 230w+ for the last 5 minutes. Good session :)

Easy Turbo
    An hour steady before the house arose. I had planned a more interesting session than an hour straight at base heart rate (yawn) but I was half asleep and going through the motions. Just getting something in as opportunities will be sparse today. I have a 10 week plan to get fit to train. Behind so far..

Digging the log out of Page 2 again :o Not because I haven't updated, because I had nothing to update :o

Tempo Turbo: Tunney's weekly session
    10 mins easy
    5x(30 sec push, 30 sec easy)
    10x(2:45 at 250w, 0:15 sec 30% punch to 325w)
    20 mins easy

All in 65 mins and 958 kcals. I was kind of dreading it. 30 minutes of work. Doesn't sound like much but when unfit... Spent a while trying to estimate my current FTP off previous results and fitness levels etc.. Settled on 15-20% lower than my best. 90% of that for the main body of each rep and then the short burst. The challenge was actually "catching" the power as it immediately dropped and not letting it drop below the target. Breaking it down to 3 minute chunks plus some thumping tunes in my ear made it fly by. It dug in around the 8th rep but you are over the crest by then. I did a longer cool down just to tag a little extra aerobic on. Decent session although the thought of holding it for another 10 reps unnerved me.

So a mate put me up to a 40 burpees a day for 40 days challenge... anyone with me? ... thought not!

Anyway last night all gung ho, 40 burpees in 1 minute 47 secs. Wasted
    Tonight 40 burpees in 2:11. Legs burned.

Burpees aside, some training.

A Swim, Woop!
    Early morning group set. Arrived early so did a little more than the prescribed mixed drill/swim warm up.
    1,000m warm up mixed
    main set
    2x200m off 3:45 in on 3:19/3:21 - note: 37-38 strokes per length
    4x100m off 1:55 in on 1:32/1:31/1:33/1:33
    2x200m off 3:45 in on 3:18/3:21 - note: 39-40 strokes per length
    1min rest
    2x200m off 3:45 in on 3:19/3:18 - note: 39-41 strokes per length
    4x100m off 1:55 in on 1:36/1:36/1:39/1:39
    2x200m off 3:45 in on 3:26/3:28 - note: 45-46 strokes per length
    100m cramping kick
    100m swim super easy

3,600m total

Swam off a pair of big feet for most of it but on the second set of 100s I began to fade and spent 600m swimming through treacle. I red lined to the end to try to hold onto a draft but lost it. I noted the strokes per length to show just how much the efficiency dropped. The last 200 was 9 seconds slower for an extra 42 strokes! Massive drop. I was wasted afterwards. I could have just dropped back to the back of the lane but decided to see just how much I have lost :o Happy just to get through it :) Calves locked in cramp trying to hop up on deck. Had to stretch for minutes grimacing before climbing out like a child.

Short steady ish Run
    Out for a lap of town with my work run buddy at lunchtime. It was positively miserable out. Chilly, windy and incessant rain. By 4km I started feeling it and it took a lot to hold on. I was simply low on juice. I never skip breakfast but this was the first morning swim in months and I just forgot to make porridge back in the office. 8.77km done. Soaked and hungry for a finish. 1,505 kcals between both sessions

Easy Run
    8.69km run in the rain. Running feels so much more laboured with the extra weight. I said I'd get training first and fix diet next. One change at a time. Legs feeling it a little. Combination of cramps in the pool yesterday and the burpees. Day 3 of those and have 120 done in 5:55 total. I already did a squat jump for each one but added a press up to todays 40. 2 minutes of hurt! 1,600 burpees to complete the challenge and do the whole lot in a combined time of <75mins. The added push up version made this a much tougher target.

• Advertisement

Rowing Intervals
    3x2,000m with Z4 capped HR and 3' easy
    10mins easy
    Reps
    7:36.0 pace 1:54.0/500
    7:39.2 pace 1:54.8/500
    7:44.6 pace 1:56.1/500
    10 mins easy

Total 52:00, 12.598m, 870 kcals.
    7:39.9 average for the reps vs 7:39.5 last week. Pretty much the same.
    I took the first rep handier but still had to fade significantly after 1k on rep 2 and just 500m on rep 3 to hold capped Z4. Good workout but need to get some consistent aerobic volume done to improve. That goes for all disciplines :cool:

Short Brick Session
    Turbo
    10 mins easy
    5x(5min 90%, 2 min easy)
    5 mins easy
    30 mins easy run off

Been a long long time sine I did a brick run. Legs felt dead but got through it. Smashing spring day out there. Turbo was solid. Felt good. 1,115 kcals
    Weight down to 186.6lbs but this weekend will be gluttonous.
    Day 5 burpee challenge. 200 done so far in 9:32

Row Long Aerobic
    Put the ergo out on the decking to do an hour Z2 in the sun. Would have been very enjoyable if I wasn't so out of shape. But hey, I'm working on it. 60 mins 14,011m and 868 kcals. Woeful score but thats that.

Short Trail Run
    Hilly short 'easy' trot in Cratloe woods. Loved being offroad but again, out of shape. Need to return with my mountan bike for some biking fun. About 5km ish.

Right the plan for the week. Lets see how I do at the end of it :cool:

Run: easy, easy, intervals, long - circa 3 hours
    Swim: Group, solo aerobic - circa 1hr 30
    Bike: Turbo session, Turbo easy, get out - circa 3 hours
    Row: long aerobic, tempo, intervals - circa 2 hours
    S&C: yoga sun salutations, 280 burpees -circa 40 mins

Easy Run
    Short lunchtime run in the sun. 7.83km. Felt very laboured. Race predictor on the watch game estimated marathon time of 3:00:04, yeah right! Had planned an evening turbo but that didn't happen. Behind on the weely plan now..

Brick Session
    2.17km Run in 10:31
    3x2,000m Z4 Rowing intervals with 3 mins easy
    2.17km Run in 11:14
    882 kcals

Rowing reps
    7:37.3
    7:43.5
    7:47.2

Average 7:42.7 vs 7:39.9 last week and 7:39.5 previous week. Going backwards :confused: Maybe it was the heat or the run warm up but intervals were tough and to keep them in Z4 I had an epic fade in on the last rep. 40 burpees then just to rub it it. Legs shot on the run back to work.

Rowing Intervals
    My remaining planned erg session for the week was a 30 minute tempo. Its clse to TT effort. It was early morning though and I don't usually do well with intensity before breakfast. Pus Zoe has her fist head cold and it was a sleepless night. Instead how hard can short 250m intervals be? I remembered my Bro doing sets of them with a generous 90 sec recovery.

10 minutes warm up then 11 reps and I was jelly on toast. Avg 49.2 secs or 1:38.3/500m pace. My heart rate never really maxed out. My lactic soaked body shut down before my aerobic fitness or lack of, could have any say. I just hadn't recovered my breathing enough to do teh next rep and packed it in.

My Bro was never a rower but loves the erg, is strong as a horse and has a sadistically high pain threshold. He only tells me about a session when it has properly hurt. I asked what he does for this session. He does 20 reps at 48.7 secs or 1:37.4 pace per rep. :eek::cool: Can't be having that. Its gonna require pain to close the gap :eek::cool::D

Turbo Z2 Steady
    75 minutes spinning while Zoe napped. Pretty boring but I found podcasts lately which help. Way to burn 1,000 Kcals though :) Weigh in this weekend better be positive

S&C: yoga sun salutations, 28080 burpees -circa 40 mins[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just watching Anna Watkins on BBC now talking about her 5km in 16 minutes on the ergo - a world record apparently. Impressive!!

griffin100 wrote: »
    Just watching Anna Watkins on BBC now talking about her 5km in 16 minutes on the ergo - a world record apparently. Impressive!!
    16:56 to be precise 1:41.6 pace. Awesome :eek: But then she is 185cm, 78kg and an Olympic Gold Medallist. The heavyweight Olympic men could hold that pace for over an hour. The training at that level is something else.

Re podcasts, I've become hooked on them.

Listening to TA1 and Trail Running Nation mostly lately. The TRN guys are very good and usually have great guests on.

Weekly Plan
    Swim: Group, Group - circa 2hrs
    Bike: Turbo intervals, Turbo easy, Trails - circa 4 hours
    Row: long aerobic, tempo, intervals - circa 2 hours 20
    S&C: kettlebells and or yoga

Swim Group :)
    Ok its been 2 weeks but that is a lot closer than the swim before that!
    2,700m total with a main set of
    2x(400/300/200/100)
    In on
    7:08/4:57/3:16/1:36
    6:48/5:01/3:18/1:39

Middle lane again and I started in the middle of the pack. It moved very slowly for the first 400 though and a group of 5 had distanced themselves. I moved up to the escapees and the pace was instantly firmer. I held feet comfortably enough until people started getting out. I was left following the lane lead for the last 200 and 100 and despite bursting a lung couldn't hold his feet. Fit guy, just completed an IM. He had been dropping the whole lane through the whole set so he is my immediate goal. 646 Kcals

Easy Run
    I made sure to have a breakfast so there was energy for the lunchtime run. Overcast and mild with a stiff breeze. Nice conditions actually. I ran with my work buddy but he missed a week and was relatively silent for the second half of the route around town. 8.65km in 42:34. 636 Kcals 144hr. Anything that looked like an incline caused the heart rate to climb quickly :cool:

• Advertisement

Weekly Plan
    Run:easy, easy, intervals, long - circa 3 hours
    Swim: group set, group set - circa 2hrs
    Bike: turbo intervals, turbo easy, trails - circa 4 hours

Long Z2 Row
    An hour on the ergo with a capped aerobic heart rate. Lovely sunny stretch to the evening so I put the erg out on the decking to work on a rowing tan lines :) The heat definitely raises the heart rate because every time the sun dipped behind a cloud for an instant, a cool breeze and a few beats lower. I used the pace boat from this same session a couple of weeks ago to pace myself. 14,144m vs 14,011 last time. Progress :) It took concentration to keep the hr in check and the cardiac drift end at the max cap so this was a good aerobic benchmark session. 884 Kcals.

AKW wrote: »
    Will you be on the phone. Think I'll dial for the laugh and see what happens

Weekly Plan
    Swim: group, group - circa 2hrs

Swim Group :)
    Twice in one week, woohoo!
    3,200m total with a main set of
    2x(200,200,150,150,100,100)
    In on
    3:18/3:17/2:30/2:28/1:38/1:40
    3:20/3:23/2:33/2:31/1:41/1:41

My pool nemesis has been awol for a while too so she was back in the middle lane with me. She went off second in the lane with me drafting her (hard first 25 to bridge 5s gap to her feet). I took over leading out for the second set and she drafted me. I swam steady but was red lining it trying to shake her. No joy. My times were a touch slower. I was at the limit of my current fitness but stubbornly would not sacrifice form for flogging the stroke. When I couldn't push faster I focused on swimming better rather than harder. Leading out will regain fitness faster but its not going to happen on 2 swims a week. 3 is the majic number. Just happy to get in the water twice this week :) 709 Kcals

Easy Run
    Meh tired laboured 8.12km run around local suburbia. Lovely evening but body didn't want to know. Alex wanted to know how fast he could run so with garmin in hand we sprinted up and down the back. Legs shocked. Tomorrow some intervals with capped hr so I can't do much damage. 650 Kcals

Weekly Plan

Tempo Row
    30 minute TT. Last time the score was 7,715m with an avg hr of 168 and max 181. This session was 7,839m avg hr 171 max 182. Very tough session out in the sun. Last time I started comfortable at 1:58/500 and built the effort to finish at 1:54. This time I held rock steady 1:55 pace and ended up with 1:54.8 avg. I felt good up to 12 minutes hanging off the handle and driving the legs. By 18 had to dig in. I spent the last 7 minutes at 180hr+, pain cave! I had to get Caz to wipe the sweat from my eyes as it was stinging. Spent for a finish. As tough as a FTP bike test. I had music on but need heavier beats next time to keep me on it. Its still not where I want to be but its progress :)

Easy Turbo
    This was all about just spinning the legs easy watching the news. 80 burpees with squat jumps and a tempo erg today left quads reeling so this actually helped. I felt horrible to start but after 10 minutes the legs loosened and it was grand.

Weekly Plan

Easy Bike
    Stupid O Clock easy spin. Up at 0330 with Zoe teething. Settle. Up again at 0430 with Zoe teething. Settle. Emmm settle... Me not her, she's snoring! Attempted sleep, no joy. I'll read for a while. Meh, I'll do something. Yesterday cycling home from work on a smashing evening I felt like passing the house and pedalling some more. Alas short window with Zoe after work in the evenings trumps all.

Anyway approx 5am. Gear on, lights on, bike out and back before she rose at 0630. Easy pedalling at dawn. Nice :)

Run Intervals
    After a day trip down to Kilrush for a lovely long walk along the coast, the actual planned session. I was coming up with all kinds of excuses not to do it. Short run with 5x800m capped Z4 intervals and 2 minute active recovery.

First proper bit of intensity in I don't know how long. Awful awful session. I felt stiff and awkward warming up. My hamstrings seemed to shorten my stride by half on the reps which were all grunt for no reward.
    Reps in on 3:14/3:23/3:20/3:20/3:20. Peak Z4 effort for average 4:07 pace :( I wasn't expecting anything but that sums up current fitness levels nicely. I can only kick on from this. 9.35km done in 44:28.

20 minutes of creaking yoga salutations afterwards.

Those pre dawn sessions are golden. Nothing like sitting down for breakfast with the family with 2 hours already in the training bank :)

Good job on the intervals. Had a creak at 10x1 min on/off this evening myself. Not pretty!!

Weekly Plan

MTB Trails
    Cracking weather. Short window to get a bike in but the in laws are close to Ballyhoura so I drop the girls, find the trails and get back for dinner. Just the brown loop and first technical loop today. The shortcut home off the white trail involves a rocky granny gear climb. Took no real risks and enjoyed the spin. The views were epic under the clear blue sky. 2 hours and 29.4km and both my wrists and seat bones were feeling it and I took a gel at 1:40 as I was starting to fade.

Overall hit most of the planned sessions this week. My hamstring has been tight since the intervals so I wouldn't have attempted a 'long' run anyway.

Best session: 30 minute Erg tempo
    Worst session: Run intervals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good to see you back at it. With the row 30tt is that row pace now threshold or how do you set sessions off your results.

Good to see you back at it. With the row 30tt is that row pace now threshold or how do you set sessions off your results.
    Thanks JB
    Well LTHR for the bike is taken from the avg of the last 20 min of an all out 30. Same for run actually. My avg was 171 Max 182. I can probably push to mid maybe high 180s but that is falling off the erg territory. So I add a couple of beats and call 173 LT. Not exact but pretty close. Zones based of that. Sessions based off zones. Its LT pace for now but like SBR pace should improve with fitness etc..

I find rowing to capped heart rates is best. Particularly for Z2 or Base. Its easy to become a slave to the average 500m split pace. It may be a goal to hit a certain pace for anaerobic intervals but for everything else the cap means discipline and you need discipline to develop base fitness! It also benchmarks improvement in the right way. More distance for X hr or same distance for lower hr.

Other popular rowing sessions are over/under, steps in rate etc...

Edit: this link follows a discussion on setting LT at 2.0mmol using a standard (for elites in a lab) step test and blood lactose monitor. You can train to pace/power with this kind of detail

With hr its more about feel

• Advertisement

Weekly Plan
    Run:easy, easy, 5x800 z4, long - circa 3 hours
    Swim: group, solo easy - circa 2hrs
    Bike: turbo intervals, turbo easy, silly am easy - circa 4 hours
    Row: long aerobic, long aerobic, 3x2k z4 - circa 2 hours 20

Swim Group
    My nemesis moved up to the fast lane already but I know she is hanging onto the back of the second group in there for dear life.
    2,800m in the middle lane
    600 easy
    2x200 in 3:13/3:18
    400 in 6:41
    2x200 in 3:16/3:20
    4x100 in 1:34/1:32/1:39/1:40
    200 mixed easy in 4:28

I took over leading earlier this time but the pace dropped from sub 1:40 to 1:40 and I was red in the face holding it. I had the feet raked off me so I let a few through to take over for the 100s and drafted. They then tired and asked me to go up again. I did, and faded again :rolleyes: 1:40 pace is tempo right now. Barely a year ago this was cruise pace :( How fast you lose it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement