Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Weekly Plan
    Run:easy, easy, 5x800 z4, long - circa 3 hours
    Swim: group, solo easy - circa 2hrs
    Bike: turbo intervals, turbo easy, silly am easy - circa 4 hours
    Row: long aerobic, long aerobic, 3x2k z4 - circa 2 hours 20
    S&C: kettlebells and or yoga

Easy Run
    Short multi terrain run with work run buddy. Beautiful sunny conditions. Right hamstring acting up since the interval session at the weekend so I left it at that for today. 8.2km in 43 mins. Apart from that, said goodbye to the Fenix 2 SE :( So now decisions on its successor :D Garmin or Polar? If Garmin, Fenix 3 or Epix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What was the Fenix 2 lacking that you decided to sell it? Is there a particular feature that you're looking for?

AKW must be rubbing off on you if you're considering Polar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    AKW must be rubbing off on you if you're considering Polar :D

Careful now!! :o

pgibbo wrote: »
    What was the Fenix 2 lacking that you decided to sell it? Is there a particular feature that you're looking for?

The Fenix2 SE was the first training watch I was almost reluctant to part with. It did everything I wanted. No complaints other than BT upload to my phone didn't work. I guess wearing it as a daily watch also grows on you. No swapping watches after a pool or having to carry one in your kit. Cool to just switch your daytime watch to a high end training tool with just the push of a button. Its a far better looking time piece than the 920xt!

What I'm looking for? WiFi upload. Potential updates to connect to the concept 2 PM4, long shot. Colour and sleek UI. Good looks :)

Weekly Plan

Easy Run
    All I got done today. 8.1km in the lunchtime sun with my work run buddy. Happy days :)

• Advertisement

Weekly Plan

Easy Turbo
    75 mins spinning at Z1-2. Early morning. Legs asleep and felt awful for 10 mins. Forgot to grab earphones so this was boring, very boring. I don't know why I just didn't get off and get it. Thought I'd self talk myself out of hopping back on...

Long Aerobic Row
    60 mins capped Z2. Last time I squeezed 14,144m out of this zone for the hour. This time 14,313m and a 6w power gain. I put the erg out on the back garden grass to catch the last of the evening sun. The cardiac drift up to 20 mins suggested I was not wise to set off ahead of my last session pace boat. However, 20-40 minbs were rock steady and I stretched the lead on it. The sun dipped below the house with 10 mins to go, cooling me down and checking the hr. Pleased with this session, a training pb, felt good :)

Weekly Plan

Swim 'Long' Run
    14.1km would not constitute a long or even medium long for most but its the longest I've done in ages. It was originally a planned swim but after driving across to the arena I found the pool 'closed' (High Performance in there having a full lane each), for a waterpolo tournament and the Joey Hannon Triathlon. I headed back to work and out for a run from there. Murky, grey morning. I trotted along at an easy pace for 70 minutes comfortably. I could feel my right hamstring tighten on any little hill but overall felt good. Behind on planned sessions this week but at least getting something done every day.

Weekly Plan

Row Intervals
    10 mins Z1
    3x2,000m capped Z4 with 3 min easy
    Reps
    7:31.1 pace 1:52.7/500m
    7:30.7 pace 1:52.6/500m
    7:30.3 pace 1:52.5/500m
    20 mins Z2

All in 15,389m in 62 mins. Solid session and a training pb :). Last time doing this was an improvement to 7:33.3 average per rep. 7:30.7 average this time was a leap forward and closing in on the sub 7:30 milestone. I'm not going to hit all planned sessions this week but I have something done everyday and the last 3 sessions have felt good. Ankle feels good. Chest is good. Work situation good. Time to kick on!

On another note the Garmin Fenix 3 is awesome. The WiFi upload is a treat. It drove me mad having to plug my phone into the lap top to transfer before, waiting for it to load up. BT didnt pair with the phone or Nexus so I hardly bothered with Garmin Connect. UI is smooth, colour and fast. GPS with GLONASS is rapid. The star gazing widget is pretty cool. HR zone coloured bar chart in activity history is something I wanted. It feels lighter and more comfortable than the Fenix 2 and its a very nice daytime watch with customisable watch faces. Adding multiple sensors and ability to name each hrm another nice feature. With the F2 I had to pair the hrm run and hrm for the rower seperatly every time. It tells me to move when I've sat on my ass too long and the sleep tracker graph shows my trip in to teething baby during the night, proof to wife!! The coloured Altimeter and Barometric graphs showed clearly my visit to my sister's house up a mountain today. So far, I'm very impressed. Best Garmin watch I've owned by a distance and that includes when the 910xt was miles ahead of its peers with swim data a few years ago. Now to upgrade my phone so the watch can talk to that too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

How is the Fenix3 in the pool? (Garmin Swim>910XT in my opinion, but both could be better at reading laps and strokes)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    How is the Fenix3 in the pool? (Garmin Swim>910XT in my opinion, but both could be better at reading laps and strokes)

I'll report back on that next week. Never used a Garmin swim. Like a pure swimmer over a tri swimmer. Single discipline probably always trumps in a single discipline. 910xt was a breakthrough multisport watch.

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Only way either could be better is if they were Polar ;)

V800 picks up change of stroke mid pool. Switch from front to back and it recognises it :cool:

Best of luck with the F3, curious to see it when we get playtime. Will it connect to the VIRB?

Weekly Plan

Run Intervals
    5x800m capped Z4 with 2 min recovery
    Reps 3:13/3:08/3:09/3:12/3:10

Better than last time. 3:11 avg vs 3:19 last session. Maybe the cold evening help. Tough but more solid. Fenix 3 cool. Instant GPS. Alerts colour coded. Run dynamics screen with colour cadence chart cool to focus on cool down. Before I relied on cadence alerts to improve but constant buzzing alerts wrecked my head. The watch announcing 5 new personal records (first run with it!). Fastest km, mile, 5k, 10k and longest run. OK gimmicky but still made me smile. Activity history much better. WiFi transfer to the tablet (downgraded from android lollipop 5.0.1 to KitKat 4.4.4 and working again, yay :) ) was instant and impressive.

Happy to get all planned runs done this week. Ankle good.
    Best session: 3x2,000m rowing intervals, good progress
    Worst session: Group swim. Took lane lead but couldn't hold it

@AKW yep controls VIRB :)

Ideal Weekly Sessions
    Run: 1) Easy 2) Easy 3)8x400 Z4 4) Long - circa 3.5 hours
    Bike: 1) Z1/2 Turbo 2) 2x20' 80% Turbo 3) MTB Trails - circa 4.5 hours
    Swim: 1) Group 2) Group - circa 1.5 hours
    Row: 1) Long Z2 2) Long Z2 3) 30' Tempo Z4/5 - circa 2.5 hours
    Core: 1) Yoga - circa 30 mins

Swim Group
    Quiet pool after the Joey Hannon weekend. Still enough down for a session.
    Our mid lane lead out is one of these outdoorsy types but a proper tumble turning swimmer too with a lean body and zero tolerance for lane whining. I know she has similar plans to me. Lead out and drop the group. She swims dead steady the whole set but no dropping me. I shared the lead and she seemed to hold me easier than I her.

2,700m total as
    600m warm up
    300m in 5:01
    2x200m in 3:22/3:19
    300m in 5:08
    2x200m in 3:21/3:21
    300m in 5:10
    2x200m in 3:23/3:23

General slow fade through the set. First 200m took me 80 strokes total, the last 90. Lost efficiency too. OK session though.

Long Aerobic Row
    60 mins straight erg with a capped Z2. Good session, steady and controlled. 14,426m return which is better than the previous 14,313m. Average pace 2:04.8/500. I'd love to get to sub 2:00 pace for this zone. Another training PB :) Happy with progress, felt good and cardiac drift was slower.

Ideal Weekly Sessions

Steady Run Z2
    Cold, wet, windy, miserable out there this evening. Every runner I passed looked miserable. Horrible running conditions. My arms were frozen for over 10 minutes until I warmed up a bit. Simple focus was cadence. Keeping the dial on the green part of the graph on the Fenix 3. It felt unnatural and even uncomfortable for 20 mins but then found a rhythm of sorts. Generally just aimed for a cadence over 160. My usual runs are mid to high 150s. This run? 167 :) VOsc 8.9 too which is a first time getting below 9.5. Usually 10+. It felt like my stride was choppy but 1.22m is about norm. It took focus to hold form but the 11.71km flew by.

Ideal Weekly Sessions

Easy Turbo
    An hour early before work. Just waking the legs up. Cold and uninteresting.

Tempo Row
    Much more interesting. Solid tempo effort for a half hour. Clock as much distance as I can. 7,919m is a new mark. Better than 7,839m last time and 7,618m on my first attempt in March. Progress to a new training pb :) Similar average hr to last time but the expected pain cave of Z5 never came. 15 minutes in Z4 and it felt tough. But I probably could have upped the ante in the last few minutes to max out. I decided to keep it steady and a tiny bit in the tank. Average pace 1:53.6/500m. Getting close to cracking 8k :)

Ideal Weekly Sessions

Swim Group
    2,600m yesterday morning as
    700m various warm up
    300m in 4:54
    3*100m in 1:34/1:37/1:37
    2*150m in 2:27/2:29
    300m in 4:57
    4*100m in 1:38/1:37/1:40/1:40
    2*50m hard in 40/43 50m easy
    2*50m hard in 43/41 50m easy

Lead out the lane in the absence of our lead lean body :). Not the most consistent times but consistently a shade under 1:40 pace which is progress. Noticed some poor old habit like left arm dropping, irregular or no kick, turning head rather than body, crossing arm etc... Lots to do!

Long Run
    Up, gear on, out the door and in the road to meet AKW at 7am for a run in the rain. It didn't start as an intentional long run but circa 10km run around town with a bearded triharder teamie and I dropped him off at his hotel. Longer run back home than anticipated to clock 90 mins and 18.56km. I focused purely on cadence and pleased to average 167 for the run. It too focus and felt like I was engaging the hammers and flutes to DRG my foot forward faster and lower. Wrecked and hungry for a finish but pleased to get a long run out of the way early.

I had planned an evening session but family over all day and kids destroyed the place. Legs a little shot anyway. Need to run more regularly...

Ideal Weekly Sessions
    Run: long run, hill run, interval run, easy run
    Bike: turbo easy, turbo intervals
    Swim: group swim, aerobic swim
    Row: long row, long row, interval row
    Core: anything, just do some!

Last week I began using 'MyFitnessPal' a cool app to track nutrition. Plus it syncs up with Garmin Connect. Easy to log the food diary and the nutritional report and breakdown is good. Thanks to a Pizza binge Friday night and family get togethers at the weekend, coupled with missed sessions, resulted in +2,400 Kcal for the week. In short, weight gain :( Too much sugar, not enough good carbs etc... First things first, curb the sugar.

Best session of last week: Early morning long run, can't beat getting it done first thing
    Worst session of last week: Wednesday swim. Form still pants

Today's training..

Long Z2 Row
    60 minutes capped aerobic session. Basically best distance under cap. Last time 14,426m. This time 14,632m another training pb :) Pace 2:03.0/500m. Felt good from the start and actually enjoyed this. Cardiac drift much improved and I could hold a steady pace for 50 mins and even squeeze a little more out in the last 10 mins. Very pleased with this session.

Run Intervals
    10x400m Z5 with 60 sec recovery jog
    Reps 86/89/87/87/90/89/88/87/90/88

Awful session. Legs felt stiff and reluctant on the way down to a local College one lane astro turf bumpy track. Out of the whole session I managed a total of 30secs in Z5. I just couldn't push hard enough on each rep to hit it. The legs would not turn over any faster and I faded after half way on each rep. Its years since I tried this kind of intensity so not surprised the body rebelled. Form, stride, everything sucked. Getting this done was both frustrating and hurt, though not enough :rolleyes: Some run fitness would undoubtedly help!

Ideal Weekly Sessions

Run Cadence Focus
    Supposed to be a short easy run but A) it was cold so I had to get on with it and B) cadence focus. 9.38km pushing pushing pushing. 173 avg which is my best but wrecked me. 10mins in Z3 and 5mins in Z4 was not easy. Thought my stride felt choppy but same as my usual 156 cadence plodding. Feels terrible but then I remember spending the guts of a year changing foot strike from heel to mid foot. Bear with it...

Thought my stride felt choppy but same as my usual 156 cadence plodding. Feels terrible but then I remember spending the guts of a year changing foot strike from heel to mid foot. Bear with it...

Thought struck me last night - was this the year you also had Achilles issues by any chance?

Ideal Weekly Sessions

Row Intervals
    Short warm up with bursts
    3x2,000m capped Z4 with 3 min easy
    Reps
    7:24.5 pace 1:51.1/500m
    7:24.1 pace 1:51.0/500m
    7:23.5 pace 1:50.8/500m

Unexpected session pb! Felt so crap warming up that I bailed and started the session expecting to struggle. Last time doing this was an improvement to 7:30.7 average per rep. 7:24.1 average this time smashed the sub 7:30 milestone. I really thought it would take a few more sessions to get there. Tough work but just 13 minutes in Z4 vs 17 mins last time made it even more emphatic. Just felt strong once I started.

Short Brick Run
    Changed top and shoes and out the door. I had planned the group hill run this evening but an IMRA race was on instead. Not a chance I was showing up to embarrass myself and potentially blow the ankle again. Biased this short brick run to the local hills which was an effort after the rowing intervals. Lovely chilly calm evening for a run. 6.83km in 33:05

AKW wrote: »
    Thought struck me last night - was this the year you also had Achilles issues by any chance?
    Yep, it started then compounded when I decided to run a pretty breakfast 3:19 training marathon one morning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Rowing Intervals
    These posts probably mean nothing to folk here but part of my training nonetheless and bang for buck fitness.
    20x250m with 90 sec easy
    My Bro lowered his 500m PB to 1:27.1 bloody impressive. His consistent interval sessions paying off. I had a go this evening and crumbled after 60 secs to hobble to a finish in 1:35.7. At least it a start. I won't catch him doing endurance stuff so a session with some kick. 20 short 50 second reps at average 1:40.3 pace. I didn't think I'd get through them but backing off a little after 5 initial max effort strokes kept the aerobic engine revving. Solid session and just pleased to finish it. 50 secs doesn't sound like it can hurt but they were Z4 to VO2 effort. All in, an hour on the erg and just shy of 14km

Rowing Z2 Endurance
    looking after the Bros kids this weekend so only run opportunities were middle of the night. Em that didn't happen so another erg session today. 60 min straight capped at 155hr. 14,632m last time, 14,636m this time. The tiniest of training pbs. Tougher this time cardiac drift sharper so last 10 min was backing off reluctantly. Thougthe the pace boat had caught me at the end.

I'll get on with the plan this week..

Right, cleaning up diet and building fitness...

Tempo Run
    Found a local route on the Fenix 3 history and decided to test the "race it" feature. A little running man icon slowly pulled away from the shadow running man behind/beside him. Put over a minute into him over 9.42km basically pushing the cadence (avg 171 :)) and attacking hills. Avg pace of 4:29 is my fastest run in a long time and I found it tough actually. Started in pouring rain and the wind going up a hill at one one point required a serious smooth criminal lean.

Technology all groovy. Fenix 3 auto loads to Garmin Connect and by the time I pick up my phone Strava is also updated via GC. Only connected to Strava on an invite from AKW but its actually cool to see how many runners are running my usual local routes. Segments are logged and ranked so from this zebra crossing to that zebra crossing I'm 20 of 87 all time and 5 of 45 YTD etc.. more nerdy stuff :cool: I'm also religiously updating MyFitnessApp and learning more about the micro nutrient breakdown of what I eat. It auto uploads to GC to bring all the metrics together on the dashboard. Despite DCRainmakers meh at the sleep metrics, he doesn't have a baby. Apt confirmation of the crappie night "sleep" I had last night.

Ideal weekly sessions, lets see how I do...

Swim
    2x1500m aerobic/group swim
    Run
    hill run or reps/5x800 Z4 intervals/short easy/long easy/tempo
    Bike
    hilly roadie meander/turbo easy/roadie easy
    Row
    long aerobic/tempo 30
    Net Kcals
    Weight Loss
    184.6lbs - 2.2lbs to 182.4lbs

Row Tempo
    Came close to 8k last time I did a T30 so thought I'd have a go. Target pace to hit it 1:52.4. I set off holding steady 1:52 dead. By 10 mins though I knew it wasn't going to happen. Heart rate was climbing too fast and I knew I didn't have the juice or concentration to spend over 10 mins in Z5 pain cave. Hit 4k at 15mins but also hit Z4 ceiling.I took a minute rest then stop started the next 15 mins. Did the 30 mins but poor attempt. Tracking my sweat loss to understand my hydration needs (Reading Paleo Diet) and was surprised at a net 2lb loss in just a half hour of fairly intense work. An hour aerobic at the weekend was net 2.5lb. I was no where near replacing that until now.

Easy Turbo
    Simple reacquaintance with the bike while the house sleeps. 50 mins easy and very sweaty. Watched MTV and enjoyed the rhythm.

Swim
    Run
    Bike
    Row
    long aerobic/tempo 30
    Net Kcals
    Weight Loss
    184.6lbs - 2.2lbs to 182.4lbs

A few days away in Dinge with my girls. What a place to be and train. Kerry people are spoiled, spoiled I tell ya...

Easy Run around the Marina
    We were staying in an ideal escape up on a hill overlooking the Bay. There was rain predicted for the day so I hit the road early for an easy meander around Dingle Marina. At one point I ran out of road an found myself on the rocks. The tide was out, why not a litle coasteering. A km out and back dancing over the rocks like a kid. 8km and Sea air, Happy days. On the way back through the town I could smell the unmisakable smell of a full Irish wafting out one of the doors. I knew where I was going for my post run protein :)

Slea Head Bike
    40.51km loop of Slea Head. Early morning but smashing scene pedalling away from Dingle Marina out the coast road. After 10km you are on a windy sea drive that would put a smile on your face if it wasn't permanently stretched into a headwind grimace. Stunning views and it turned to a tailwind as the road slowly turned Dingle bound again. No land swpeed records set. Just happy to be out on the bike. Been too long..

Another Short steady hilly run
    I spotted 2 hills on the other side of the town and made it my goal to run up them both. It meant another lap of the Marina. Oh well...
    Another fabulous run

Up the Conor Pass
    We were heading from Dingle to Castlegregoy via the Conor Pass so I opted to cycle there. The climb starts straight out of Dingle and continues for 5.6km up to 400 odd meters. I have barely ridden my bike let alone up any knid of hill let alone big ones. It was chilly and very wet. 28 minutes to climb it averaging 13.3kmh and 7 minues hairy descent the other side eaking at 59.8kmh. I wanted to let loose but it was very wet and misty and I wasn't taking risks. I had to brake hard into bends. I'd love to come down it on a dry day. I had a tailwind into Castlegregory from there which made it a pleasant cycle. Total 33.64km. Kerry is the place to cycle

Overall, not great. No swimming, long run or interval run. I'll do better this week. Still, weight shifted.

Best session of the week: Slea Head loop
    Worst session of the week: The T30 erg fail

Swim
    Run
    Bike
    Row
    long aerobic/tempo 30
    Net Kcals
    -2,500 -2,212 almost..
    Weight Loss
    184.6lbs - 2.2lbs to 182.4lb 182.8lbs almost...

Summary of last week

Swim Session
    4x400m in on 6:49-6:57
    4x200m in on 3:24-3:32
    4x100m in on 1:41-1:42
    4x50m in on 47-49

12 months ago I could hold 1:42 for 10k. This was the most I could muster 12 months on :o

Thats it. Sum of training done last week for one reason or the other :(:o

In 2 months there is the small matter of a 72 hour race :cool:

And I entered DCM to shake a monkey.

Lots to do...

In 2 months there is the small matter of a 72 hour race :cool:

And I entered DCM to shake a monkey.

Lots to do...

Never mind shaking a monkey, time to share your a$$ and get a wriggle on!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I'm lining myself up to get shot at here but DCM .... REALLY????? You haven't got a solid block of run training in since before the mountain marathon last year and even then your furthest run was like 8 miles. You have dodgy ankles, you're only going to get 10 weeks max of good training in after the Beast and you won't be happy unless you go sub 3. Why would you do a half assed marathon?

I'm lining myself up to get shot at here but DCM .... REALLY????? You haven't got a solid block of run training in since before the mountain marathon last year and even then your furthest run was like 8 miles. You have dodgy ankles, you're only going to get 10 weeks max of good training in after the Beast and you won't be happy unless you go sub 3. Why would you do a half assed marathon?

This is 'Godzone' not 'CommonSenseZone'!! Didn't you read the signs? :cool:

Hardy in the place a wet week and stirring it up already! :D:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Someone won't have any friends soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement