Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A few days away in Dinge with my girls. What a place to be and train. Kerry people are spoiled, spoiled I tell ya...

Easy Run around the Marina
    We were staying in an ideal escape up on a hill overlooking the Bay. There was rain predicted for the day so I hit the road early for an easy meander around Dingle Marina. At one point I ran out of road an found myself on the rocks. The tide was out, why not a litle coasteering. A km out and back dancing over the rocks like a kid. 8km and Sea air, Happy days. On the way back through the town I could smell the unmisakable smell of a full Irish wafting out one of the doors. I knew where I was going for my post run protein :)

Slea Head Bike
    40.51km loop of Slea Head. Early morning but smashing scene pedalling away from Dingle Marina out the coast road. After 10km you are on a windy sea drive that would put a smile on your face if it wasn't permanently stretched into a headwind grimace. Stunning views and it turned to a tailwind as the road slowly turned Dingle bound again. No land swpeed records set. Just happy to be out on the bike. Been too long..

Another Short steady hilly run
    I spotted 2 hills on the other side of the town and made it my goal to run up them both. It meant another lap of the Marina. Oh well...
    Another fabulous run

Up the Conor Pass
    We were heading from Dingle to Castlegregoy via the Conor Pass so I opted to cycle there. The climb starts straight out of Dingle and continues for 5.6km up to 400 odd meters. I have barely ridden my bike let alone up any knid of hill let alone big ones. It was chilly and very wet. 28 minutes to climb it averaging 13.3kmh and 7 minues hairy descent the other side eaking at 59.8kmh. I wanted to let loose but it was very wet and misty and I wasn't taking risks. I had to brake hard into bends. I'd love to come down it on a dry day. I had a tailwind into Castlegregory from there which made it a pleasant cycle. Total 33.64km. Kerry is the place to cycle

Ideal weekly sessions, lets see how I do...

Overall, not great. No swimming, long run or interval run. I'll do better this week. Still, weight shifted.

Best session of the week: Slea Head loop
    Worst session of the week: The T30 erg fail

Swim
    2x1500m aerobic/group swim
    Run
    hill run or reps/5x800 Z4 intervals/short easy/long easy/tempo
    Bike
    hilly roadie meander/turbo easy/roadie easy
    Row
    long aerobic/tempo 30
    Net Kcals
    -2,500 -2,212 almost..
    Weight Loss
    184.6lbs - 2.2lbs to 182.4lb 182.8lbs almost...

Did you go up Peddlers Lake when up Conors Pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

tunney wrote: »
    Someone won't have any friends soon.
    What are you talking about ...... everybody loves me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@Career_Move - the plan is to get in a few more runs and a few longer than 8 miles too ;):) Sure its only a Marathon, how hard can it be, and I have no intention of doing it half arsed. Stay tuned :D

@Tunney - No, the Conor Pass was under a cloud when I cycled up, hence my cagey descent. Definitely be back down there though, up with the MTB, drop it and trek around the hills. Amazing spot.

Group Swim
    Well, it started as a small group. After a half hour warm up messing around, the Coach called 4x500m. Being a small group, nowhere to hide so I slotted in behind my swim nemesis. The technician, smiling from the shark lane, invited us in for company but not a hope of it. That lane is just ridiculous these days. Anyway Nemesis lead off and I basically stuck to her feet for the 4 reps. In on 8:24/8:15/8:13/8:19. That tells the story. She squeezed the pace out for reps 2 and 3 and gave up trying to shake me half way through rep 4 :) We dropped the rest in the process. She is just back after a lengthy absence herself. These longer reps are perfect for waning fitness. Plus she is a better swimmer so the longer the rep the more efficient I have to swim to stay with her. 2,800m done. Happy just to finally get my ass out of the scratcher for an early session...

A Run, A Start!
    Linky
    Lovely evening and nearly didn't get out but Caz insisted :) Opted for a more country route. Focused on cadence for the first half and pushed on to Z4 tempo for the second half. Good run but hammers in a jock for a finish. The Fenix 3 announced 2 records, fastest 5k and fastest 10k. Gimmicky but funky. Loving the instant upload to GC and Strava for instant nerdism while necking a shake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

A Run, A Start!
    Linky
    Lovely evening and nearly didn't get out but Caz insisted :) Opted for a more country route. Focused on cadence for the first half and pushed on to Z4 tempo for the second half. Good run but hammers in a jock for a finish. The Fenix 3 announced 2 records, fastest 5k and fastest 10k. Gimmicky but funky. Loving the instant upload to GC and Strava for instant nerdism while necking a shake :D

7.22 minute miles :eek: :eek:

If that's how you start, you'll be a rocket in a few weeks :) Fair play, it's a great start :)

• Advertisement

Swim
    Yesterday. Pre Stag party. A bunch of small reps then 2x400m steady myself because I missed the warm up. The main set was annoying. I started towards the back of the middle lane and the pace felt so slow I struggled to stay afloat. Plus finishing 10m before the wall because everyone stands up and don't move aside, drives me nuts. So, lead it out then you say! I would or at least go off 2nd or 3rd. I was late, missed the warm up and I never got to the wall before the next rep started. Frustrating but my own fault. The 2 400s were to do something worth justifying getting up early. 6:48 and 6:47. Worked on stroke length and felt ok.

Bike
    Collected the roadie from the shop and just did a short 45mins. Felt like a new bike and I would have loved to stay out. Raging hangover and sleep deprivation meant a nap took higher priority. Stomach way too dodgy to run too.

Row, Row, Row, Run, Run, Bike, Bike

That was the week. Said I wouldn't log until I managed a week of training. Simple plan this week to was train once a day and build from there next week.

Monday: Erg 60 mins Z2. Hadn't been on in a few weeks but suprising managed my 3rd best total out 7 attempts this year. 14,465m

Tuesday: Erg 3x2,000m capped Z4 with 3'recovery. Had to fade early on the 3rd rep to maintain target zone but 2nd best session of 7 this year. Happy with that. Average rep 7:29.6

Wednesday: Erg 60 mins Z2. Early morning and just wasn't feeling it. I had to back off after just 10 mins as my heart rate was climbing too fast. 6th best of 8 sessions this year. 14,239m

Thursday: Z2 run backing off completely on hills to keep the hear rate in zone. Wet, cold and windy. Felt ok but hamstrings and hips tight for a finish. 12.38km https://www.strava.com/activities/318443173

Friday: Z2 run. Same route on a cool sunny evening to compare. 30 seconds faster but I spent 9 mins in Z3 so it doesn't count. 12.39km. Need to up teh run volume now next week in earnest. https://www.strava.com/activities/318990265

Saturday: Out for a bike spin first thing. 0630. Took in a climb and spun for another 40k. Cool and bloody windy. I got soaked in the first 20 mins and my climb up Cratloe was worful. A rowing friend of mine does it in 12:52 according to strava so my 15:43 was rubbish. It will improve. It can only improve. I ran out of juice about 4km from home. 64.5km and 448m ascent. https://www.strava.com/activities/319287647

Sunday: Bike again, 2 days running :D More hill focus here and 2 climbs done. Up Cratloe again in 14:22 this time. Better. It was a lovely sunny dry day so I gave the descents some proper welly in parts just to see what I could clock as a top speed. 72.5kmh :D I meandered up Gallows hill to Woodcock hill next, stopping to take a couple of photos. My legs felt dead for this climb and it took forever. 53.38km with 635m ascent. Quads burned and I nodded off on the floor while playing with Zoe in the afternoon. Woke up a few mins later with her bouncing a block off my face :)https://www.strava.com/activities/320261003

Best session of the week: This mornings bike
    Worst session of the week: Wednesdays erg. Felt rubbish

Plan for next week: More volume and a team #triharder training session

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

AKW wrote: »

I figured that would happen. He has had some career and will have an amazing influence on course design. As if I wasn't glued to this event already!

Some shoes to fill on Team Seagate.

• Advertisement

Some shoes to fill on Team Seagate.

The link isn't working for me :(

I presume you're talking about Nathan Fa'ave though? You fancy your chances Sean???

The link isn't working for me :(

Maybe cos you are not on Facebook (?) See what you are missing now :D

Maybe cos you are not on Facebook (?) See what you are missing now :D

Hmmm perhaps :(

Aw well a small price to pay! Sleepmonsters does it better anyway :p
    http://www.sleepmonsters.com/v2_news.php?article_id=5495

Hmmm perhaps :(

Aw well a small price to pay! Sleepmonsters does it better anyway :p
    http://www.sleepmonsters.com/v2_news.php?article_id=5495

"Nelson and Tasman are my home ground, its where I have trained for adventure racing all my life, its where I recreate and its also my work environment"

Could he possibly be any more qualified to help design the course! Chapter 4 looked amazing but I'm not sure it stood up to previous Chapters. Next year could be unreal

"Nelson and Tasman are my home ground, its where I have trained for adventure racing all my life, its where I recreate and its also my work environment"

Could he possibly be any more qualified to help design the course! Chapter 4 looked amazing but I'm not sure it stood up to previous Chapters. Next year could be unreal

Sod ITERA lets do GODZONE :D:D

Sod ITERA lets do GODZONE :D:D

Ah here!! I only just got clearance to do this weekend! :) Need 2 years run in to Godzone

Hello Sunshine :)

Monday
    Morning swim. I basically chased the lane lead up and down the middle lane for the main set. I was spent when the Coach called for a 400m and a 200m all out. Everyone bar 1 tri girl in my lane boycotted that. Everyone in the Shark lane licked their lipped and continued to chase each other up and down the lane. I set off with tri girl on my feet, dropped her at 200m and faded from there on in. 6:30 :( A minute breather and the 200m on my own. 3:14 :( Its all I had and anyone who follows my logs will know how far I've fallen..

Tuesday
    Bailed short of 5km into a planned hour steady run. It was a lovely evening and I felt ropey starting out. Nothing unusual, I often feel ropey and shake it off. 25 minutes gone and I stopped. I felt drained. Mentally I didn't want to run another step. It took a few minutes for me to pull myself togther and walk/jog home. I had felt like ringing for a lift. :(

Wednesday
    A short 7.83 super easy run with my work run buddy. I felt better, not a lot, but better.

Later an hour on ther erg. 14,454m my 5th best score of 10 sessions this year. Better than the last session. An hour used to feel like a long erg back when I rowed. I guess it is much smaller now in the context of all this endurance lark. An hour erg is still a long erg but more tolerance for the boredom factor.

Thursday
    Actual Rowing :) The university rowing club are doing a social/alumni weekly thing. I biked over to check it out and met one of my old crew mates. It was a scratch toether of bodies to see what kind of boat we could put on the water. I had been up in the office looking at pennants that reminded me that it had been 15 years since I rowed. My god :eek:

Anyway we got a motley crew of guys n'gals out in an 8+(8 people with an oar each and a coxwain). I sat in the stroke seat to both coach the novice cox and set a rhythm. Normally such a mixed bag would cause the boat to unbalance and flop from side to side with oars slapping off the water or getting stuck and both slowing the boat and dragging it off balance. On the contrary the boat sat up well and ran/glided between strokes and it was a very enjoyable spin. Up and down the river we went on a lovely summer evening. Loved this :D

Friday
    Time pressed so I just extended my commute home in the wind and rain in jeans and a backpack trying to keep the speed above 30kmh

Saturday & Sunday
    Team #triharder training. We had a plan and executed most of it over 14 hours. Warren was on hols so it was Sean, Kate and I. Before we set off I unwrapped my new kayak like a kid at Christmas :D

9:30pm 6 hours bike from Kilalloe to Silvermines, up the Step and the Rock, around Keep and back. We found 2 of 3 targetted control points and did lots of climbing. The Step was particularly challenging with backpacks. I Nav'd the bike section and it was challenging at night. Overall we got back to ULAC within our 6 hour window. It was tough but enjoyable cycling around under the stars. The only incident to report was my fornt wheel dropping into a wet boggy hole on a descent and flipping me over the handlebars. I got a soft landing but stood up half covered in wet black tar like mud. Many thanks to my teamies for helping to clean me up and not laughing too hard!

We finished the bike at 3:45am and transitioned to the trek after food and faffing :)

Sean took over Nav for the trek and we effectively took in 8 of the first 12 controls of the Beast last year. Trekking up to Moylussa with the dawn breaking over Lough Derg beneath us was spectacular. Other then that the 24km odd climbing hills, sinking into bog, descending a gorse cliff, threading through webbed pine trees was tough going. We learned that bonus controls in the Beast are serious work. Sean lost his phone somewhere en route whihc dampened his spirit but kudos to him for picking back up, finding our controls and rewarding us kids with jelly snakes every time we found one. The contraols were hard enough to find in the dawn daylight, I can only imagine how hard it would be in darkness with rain and/or fog.

5 hours later we arrived back at transition happy that the next stage was off our feet. We learned a few things on that trek that should stand to us in the race next month so it was worthwhile. My right foot had disappeared into a wet bog early in the trek and held up ok being wet for teh next few hours. I do need to invest in some better socks before the race.

By 9:30am we were on lough derg for the Kayak section. Basically a straight shot out and around an island of trees and back. It turned out that was 10km! The first 5km into a slight headwind and chop. Kate and Sean paddled one Kayak and I put the seat in the middle of mine to paddle alone. I spent the first 15 minutes stuck to their tail before bee lining for the Island. It was enjoyable but hard work. I was still in full base gear with a waterproof jacket and the sun came out.

I got to the Island and paddled around it thinking a slight tailwind and riding the chop would be easier on the way back. The guys had turned just before the Island and were maybe 30m in front of me. I paddled hard to try and get on their tail but the distance remained 30m for nearly 10 minutes. Then the energy left my body. I was wrecked and the sun bore down on my head. The guys pulled further away and I just kept paddling. It turned into auto pilot and counting to 100, countain down from 100, counting to 80 and own etc...

Eventually the pier slip came. Kate helped to pull me out. We carried both Kayaks together up to the vans and plonked down to get out of wet gear and eat. It was 11:30. The Kayak was 2 hours. We were 14 hours in with 12.5 hours of it moving. An executive decision was made to skip a planned swim and second bike up Tountainna. We had gained a lot from session and decided to bank it.

I drifted in and out of sleep trying to hang on to Kates conversation as she drove me home. Caz was out but just 15 minutes away so I called her and promptly fell asleep on our backyard decking. 72 hours next month is going to be some challenge :eek::confused::D

Nice summary MCOS. We pulled away in the kayak to get a rope so you'd get a tow in if needed. Must remember to pack a line always in future, just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

That was a cracker of a session, well done team TriHarder :) Good call on going out at night, definitely the toughest part of the day. Must get onto the ARSEs about rewarding me with jelly snakes at each checkpoint :D great strategy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wow great training going on there Mike! Ye are tough cookies alright. I have never made it up Step, was cycling through Silvermines today and almost turned for it but chickened out. Wish I had read this beforehand, I would have tried it at least. If ye guys are climbing it with backpacks at night, it can't be too bad eh :D

• Advertisement

Monday
    Swim 2500m with group. 2x400/300/200/100 lead out the middle lane for lack of usual heads. RT pace was 1:45 so off 7:00/5:15/3:30/1:45 in on I made the RTs with seconds to spare. Swam a steady 1:42 pace. Its all I had. Commute over and back to the Arena

Tuesday
    Turbo 60 mins easy

Wednesday
    Erg 60 mins Z2 14,475m 3rd best effort of 10 sessions this year

Thursday
    Rowing on the water in an 8. Sitting in the stroke seat in an 8 you feel every hand movement, slide speed, mis timing etc profoundly. We had 5 first timers, as in never rowed, in the middle of the boat. Necessary but not enjoyable. About 40 mins plus commute over and back

Friday
    Nada

Saturday
    Early bike in the sun. 65.66km worked throughout. 30.9kmh at an average 149hr. Scenic route out to the in laws. Beat my time up a local climb first. started flagging at 1hr50 but was nearly done. Wrecked after it

Sunday
    Summer Solstice cycle. 54km in the misty rain at 5am with 150+. Out to Lough Gur for coffee and food, then back in the road chatting with my cousins. Leisurely 24kmh.

Best session of the week: Saturday solo cycle. Solid work
    Worst session of the week: the newbie row, frustrating.

5 weeks of training left before the Beast. A block of the stuff coming up. Rogaine with the team next weekend. It will be good Nav practice and a chance to discuss our tactics, approach etc..

18 weeks to DCM too so I could do with starting to run :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are you going to race vet this year or are you just helping out with some beginners?

I'd love to sit back in a boat to see what it would be like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    Are you going to race vet this year or are you just helping out with some beginners?

hint hint cough cough
    :):)

There's opportunities to do it in Galway - I wouldn't need a trip to Limerick for it. Time is the problem.

Just out helping beginners. Max I can get out really is once a week for a short spin. Simply enjoying being on the water. I'd never turn down a chance at some of my old crew getting together. You should do it. Whats stopping you?

Run
    It was supposed to be a swim. Drove over to the Arena, was running too late to get bike ready. Kit off, root in bag.. no togs :mad: I'd chance swimming in jocks but mine were bright orange and stripey. Oh well, a run then. No shoes :mad: Darted into work where I have a pair stashed and ran from there. Beautiful chilly sunny morning. 8km easy around town, stopping briefly to gaze at swans sleeping, and to stretch my hip. The right one was giving me trouble and felt sore afterwards. The swans looked so peaceful, long necks curled around their back, beaks buried into their tail feathers. I felt like a lump on this run. Unsurprising really. I like Oryxs number system so for this 435 :)

Row (Erg)
    Sat down for an hour Z2 but bailed after 18 minutes. Same as the run a couple of weeks ago. Body just felt drained. Energy left me. Mojo left me. Had a good dinner and chilled for a while. Back on 11pm late but determined to get it done. An hour Z2 complete 14,615m my 3rd best score of 11 sessions. Felt pretty good. Door open beside me and though still mild, cooler than earlier. Heart rate drift was steady and held at 142-146bpm for 20-40 mins. I pushed my pace boat off the screen in the last 10 mins. Good session. 19,073m total in 78 mins.

If I were to score it a la Oryx. Attempt #1 would have been 321, attempt #2 578 :)

Wanted to run today but right hip still sore and have a 24 hour trek at the weekend with my teamies

Swim
    Cycled over to the Arena 7km. Lovely still morning. Plodding warm up, up and down just swimming. Shoulders feeling the late night erg. Body trying to remember some sort of connection with water. It felt alien at first. Soon enough the gang forms, main set confirmed and off. 20 sec rest after the first swimmer in
    4x150m in on 2:29/2:33/2:32/2:32
    4x200m in on 3:12/3:17/3:20/3:21
    4x100m in on 1:40/1:39/1:39/1:39

No sign of my nemesis, thank god. A second group has formed in the Shark lane who go off Shark time plus 10 secs. Its up over the other side of a mountain for me at the moment. Even the technician, who is in good shape, toned and tanned, is hanging onto the back of the Shark group.

Anyway back in my lane, the body lead out. She likes to lead but doesn't seem to want to drop me like my nemesis does. She dishes out a steady lead pace, tumble turns tidily, and chirps out random things after reps which is nice. Triathletes tend to be all business but the body is of mountain running ilk. She just obviously learned how to swim properly at some point. I suggested I share the work for the 200s and made a dogs dinner of them. I copped on for the 100s but I was wrecked and it was all I had. 2,400m 424

How's the hip? Is that the same hip that was giving you issues in the lead up to Roth?

You'll not be leaving that lane anytime soon if 'the body' is as she sounds :pac:

• Advertisement

How's the hip? Is that the same hip that was giving you issues in the lead up to Roth?

You'll not be leaving that lane anytime soon if 'the body' is as she sounds :pac:

Yep same hip. You have some memory! Its was the Flexor in 2011 but more the top of the ITB this time. I know flexibility is a factor. I've completely neglected it. I'd never make a ninja the way my joints click and creak :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement