Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hopefully you get it sorted. Prioritising and finding time for maintenance is something most of us neglect - usually at the cost of an injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

feck. was pretty up to date on most of your coenames, and who they were. another new one now i'm going to have to figure out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

mossym wrote: »
    feck. was pretty up to date on most of your coenames, and who they were. another new one now i'm going to have to figure out

LOL, nemesis, the tecnician, the maco, the body, waterpolo boy... stay tuned!

Easy Run
    Man its muggy out there! Just jogging, yet sweat rolled down the side of my face ran along my jaw and dripped off my chin. 8.64km of mixed terrain, I ran off road where I could including a little woooded loop at the back of my house. The hip was a little sore but no better or worse after the run. Average 5:14 pace. Easy means easy from now on. HR 138

Rowing
    Biked over to the University boat house after work. Bigger group this time. I coached a few on the indoor tank before we hit the water in 2 8s. (8 people + a coxwain*). *A coxwain is a small shouty bossy so and so. I stroked one 8 and nearly came to blows with our cox. He was the experienced cox and knew waht he was doing. He was trying to get me to drive teh rate up to 22, up to 24, 26, 28, 30 etc... all while rowing a short stroke to accomodate newbies dippping the oar into the water without actually pulling it. I soon figured out he was purposely trying to get one of them to catch a crab.

Catching a crab is not digging your 14 foot oar into the water to look for crustaceans. Its what happens when the oar is dropped into the water with the spoon at an angle. You pull your end, the other end disappears beneath lifting the handle you are holding. Pull with enough force and you could be swimming. I've seen someone lifted clean out of his shoes and thrown into the water.

Anyway, some of the experienced girls at the back of the boat, some 50ft away from me and the evil Cox were giving out. I took control again and rated low enough for the panicking newbies to breathe and focus on simple things. Next time he tries something like this I'll just reach forward and throw him in myself. Cocky little sh!t :cool:

The cox in the other boat, ghetto superstar, is lovely and learning to boss the crew with respect.

Its a short 1.5km stretch of river so up and down a few times for 5.45km. More time spent turning teh baost at either end of the stretch than actually rowing! Cycled home and pegged up a short hill to beat my cousins segment time on Strava. Sad, I know but at least its one segment in the city I now own :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Never seen any like that indoor tank before! How does it work? With the boat held in place what happens with the forward momentum from the strokes??

joey100 wrote: »
    Never seen any like that indoor tank before! How does it work? With the boat held in place what happens with the forward momentum from the strokes??

Hey Joey. We didn't have it back in my day but its a brilliant facility for stroke analysis and correction for coaches.

1) The water is moving. It is pumped forward at assigned levels
    2) The blades are hollowed out so the resistance is hugely reduced

The water displacement is thus almost nullified. The erg is for work, the tank is for technique. On the water for both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I'm learning so much stuff about rowing that I'll never need to know :D but really liking the education. Enjoying ur log thanks Mike

My log used to be about training for simple stuff like triathlons. Simple as in I knew what to do and how to go about it. It was just a matter of execution and going hard.

These more recent forays into the unknown are stretching. I'm in that place between concsious incompetence and concious competence. Rogaine 24 hours was the latest stretch. My body hurts like hell but I learned stacks.

It was atraining exercise for Team #TriHarder. Wicklow National Park is beautiful but brutally tough. Add incessant rain and wind during a night on the hills and it will show you just what you are made of.

I've only been up to Glendalough to swim around a lake so the rest of the region is a mystery. I very much deferred to Warren who had been up around these parts for the Art O'Nell a few times. The Setanta Orienteering gang are simply salt of the earth good people, hardened by the hills and 100% participant focused. I woulnd't be a fan of pot noodles but I was handed a pack , a spoon and a jug of boiling water to DIY. I feasted on Hoisin Duck noodles while the midges feasted on me :)

Was it fun? Sometimes
    Was it tough? Brutally and utterly so
    Would I do it again? Yes!

I won't go into details because its covered in Kate and Sinead's logs. We basically nabbed 90% of our total CPS in the first 8 hours and then walked for another 11. It involved leg sapping route 1 ascents of 600-800m summits, saddles and then some.

The hills I get are tough and it was by far and away the longest time I've ever spent on my feet. So I anticiapted the general discomfort. The terrain taught me a few things. Like never trusting bog. Getting over or around the Peat hags at night in driving wind and rain was tough enough without stepping and sinking into wet bog. Truly energy sapping.

I found the holes and burrows in the ground just annoying after some time falling and legs disappearing. I swore a lot and I rarily swear! At night the falling was often a result of distraction from the 2 green lights appearing everywhere. Sheep or Deer. It felt like those pointer lights people use for presentations, mocking you wherever you looked.

We could have done better if I had been in better shape after the night section. By 8 hours we had collected 13 of our 15 CPs. By 11 hours we had climbed up Arts Cross in the dark collecting another one. We went 4 hours without another and I mentally clocked out. We had enough learned and banked to take to the Beast. My feet were not great, I was dehydrated and my legs were spent. It was just a matter of another 3 hour trek over another mountain back to base and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice report Mike, I forgot to mention the Setanta gang in my report, they were super nice, thanks for giving them a mention. Every time we picked off a control I thought of how much work they had to do to put the control there.

The most difficult part for me was the time between the controls too, it was like finding a pot of gold when you got to them and it gave us a great burst of energy but as the distances between controls got bigger, the weather got worse and the going got slower, it was hours and it began to feel like a fruitless exercise.

Well done team TriHarder :) now to start counting down the days :)

• Advertisement

Swim
    Feeling able bodied again! The last 2 days I was in bits. Yesterday I had some inflammation in my left hip that was pressing on some nerve causing mad pain to shoot down my thigh all day. Ibuprofen 400mg helped and it felt better this morning, thank god.

Got to the Arena a bit late and then distracted reading the front page of the paper stand inside the door. A shooting at the Arena at 7am! Drug related but 4 shots fired at a guy heading to the door. Jesus :eek:

After zero warm up I hopped in for the main set of
    2x200m in on 3:14/3:21
    4x100m in on 1:38/1:39/1:38/1:38
    2x200m in on 3:19/3:19

then same again
    2x200m in on 3:18/3:19
    4x100m in on 1:37/1:41/1:39/1:40
    2x200m in on 3:21/3:25

The initial 200m was quicker because I was fixing my goggles, then chased the group. The body wasn't down so they all pointed me up to the front after the first 200. I lead from there on in. I just swam steady and focused on distance per stroke. I figured from the pool clock I was around 1:40 pace and that was good enough to get both fitness and stroke benefit. No real RTs, just 10 secs after the 100s and 20 after the 200s. The group gradually fell off leaving me swimming on my own for the last few reps. My concentration waned and with it the effort.

Overall a decent swim though, as much a return as I could be getting from swimming once a week :rolleyes:

Rowing
    Where is this sunny heat? All we seem to have in the west is muggy cloudy midgie meh :rolleyes: Biked over to the rowing club. 18 bodies down including a half dozen newbies. I did 20 mins erg while they got a turn in the tank. Then 2 8s on the water for 40 mins. Choppy windy conditions made a couple of the noobs nervous so the timing, hand levels and everything was way off. It made it an unbalanced spin falling mainly to my side.

The stroke seat is at the narrow end of the boat and you feel everything. The boat should 'run' between strokes. It's a bit like swimming. Catch the water with your reach and and grab, lever past the point creating a little puddle behind the oar. The peak power of the stroke is when the leg drive is fully engaged. Once the legs are done the stroke finishes with the back, shoulders and arms, pushing the puddle away from you, taking your oar out and letting the boat run. Good to get out even for a wobbly spin :). Bike home into the wind and the fatigue still evident from the weekend. Overall 90mins of cycling and rowing.

Swim Group
    I probably should be doing drills for my warm up and bringing down toys etc.. but with just one swim a week, its just swimming!
    400m mucking about
    4x100m in on 1:33/1:38/1:39/1:40
    2x200m in on 3:18/3:17
    800m in 13:28 - 1:41 pace
    4x100m in on 1:39/1:41/1:41/1:42

2,400m total

I think my lane are cursing me, well besides the 2 on my feet the whole set. The lane goes off 1:50 but most of the back end don't seem to make it. I also lose track of my RTs when the set is varied distances. Ok when I'm following feet. I just follow. When I lead out I just let the clock count 10 secs and go. With the longer RTs a 2k main set can feel like a plod fest and there is too much hanging around. I haven't got time for that with 1 40-50 minute swim window a week. I have to be around for the Child Minder every other morning unless Caz is off. No takers for a lead out this morning so we did it my way :D

I did leave 20 secs after the 800 because I was knackered. I kept up with back end of the fast lane on the other side of the rope for the 800 but I was working. 1:40 pace is aerobic stuff over there :cool:

Only a short Ergometer session over the weekend. I wasn't feeling the best. It was a weekend of kids and DIY** and I was catching 10 minute naps when I could.

**Brownie Points needed topping up :)

3 weeks to the Beast...

can you swim in the evenings?

@mossym - yeah. Not my preference because it has to be late evening and impacts family time. I used to do 2 evenings a few years ago. OW with the club and a late masters set. I'll have to find a group during the winter. Trying to do a session in public lanes drives me nuts.

Bike
    Got my turbo back from superwoman and her rehab. Calibrated twice and jumped on for 2 hours Z1-2. Average effort 132hr 204watts. I borrowed Cazs IPod and watched naughties music videos for distraction from the constant whirr of 90spm. I kept it rock steady to see what song would hit max watts. If I connected with a beat or lyric my cadence would naturally lift a little. For ages it was Nelly Furtado but in the end it was Britney Spears "toxic" video that won. The sh!te you do to occupy hours on the turbo :rolleyes: Happy to last 2 hours. It was more mentally than physically taxing

Run
    Its been a few weeks. Stupid hip. Lunchtime run today. Easy 2km tempo 1km easy 2km tempo 1km easy 2km. Started out easy and left knee and right hip niggles present. Felt like a crock. The hip I knew about but the knee was new. I first felt it at the weekend at the park with family. Started throwing around an american football with some Americans and then teaching them how to pass a rugby ball and kick it felt something twinge under the kneecap.

Anyway it vanished after 10 mins so maybe just creaky joints that have not run in a while. The hip felt ok running. The tempo kms in 3:45/3:52. Felt ok except for the effort required. Unfit :( Not an adjective you would associate with someone teeing up a 72 hour race in 19 days! Its just run fitness. The body is 9lbs lighter than it was 2 months ago and that's a good bit less weight to be carrying up and down mountains. Finished the run sweaty but ok. 8.47km at 4:39 pace. Hip ok. 2 hours later sitting at a desk, got up and hip sore. Planning a row this evening but have maps and notes sprawled out all over the floor plotting and studying :)

@mossym - yeah. Not my preference because it has to be late evening and impacts family time. I used to do 2 evenings a few years ago. OW with the club and a late masters set. I'll have to find a group during the winter. Trying to do a session in public lanes drives me nuts.

reason i ask was i might be looking to add a couple of late evening swims into my routine. not sure how it will pan out but if we could make it work it would be a lot better to have someone else there as well.

we might even get a couple more takers from here, there are a few doing some race in galway next year and they might be looking to get some mileage in..:D

mossym wrote: »
    reason i ask was i might be looking to add a couple of late evening swims into my routine. not sure how it will pan out but if we could make it work it would be a lot better to have someone else there as well.

we might even get a couple more takers from here, there are a few doing some race in galway next year and they might be looking to get some mileage in..:D
    Groovy, company! Lets call it the sub60 headbangers :D

Rowing
    Long day at work today so short session this evening. Out on the water stroking the fun 8+ again. We had the club coach out with us in a launch so the newbies got some tips. 30 mins moving time with some single stroke drills. The boat sat up at times so I was able to dig my oar in and drive the legs. Enough to work up a sweat. Not that it was difficult to do that on such a muggy evening. The coxs timing on calls was off and newbies rushing to take their next stroke. I had to be quite stubborn with the rhythm.

#TriHarder training
    Tick tock...
    2 weeks to the Beast of Ballyhoura. 72hrs and this year's European AR Series final.

The details are in Kate's log. 5.5hrs night time MTBo about 75km with 1,180m climbing, 2hrs and 11km paddling on a very choppy Lough Derg before a 7am short skins swim around a few buoys. All in 8hrs solid training and team bonding.

Things coming together. Good Nav. Good teamwork. Good fun :)

The bike included a hike a bike, pushing our bikes up the side of Tountinna and a lovely spin up the Clare Glens. Cycling up 15% gradient chewing a powerbar and laughing simultaneously is interesting!

The kayak included a brutal choppy headwind for the return leg. The kayak bounced off the waves and landed with a thud. Waves crashed over the bow and soaked me over and over and over. Sean laughed, a lot. Good paddling, our speed is up on last year.

The swim was a cold shock to start but we were already soaked so acclimatised quickly. 250m with no goggles, leggings and thick hiking socks made progress slower but a good team bonding exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sounds like great fun, that's what it's all about :) Great session guys :) taper time yeaeeeeeeeee

Taper? Sure there's 2 more weeks to cram some training in and drop a kg :D

Row
    Erg this morning. An hour straight Z2 until 5 mins to go and my pace boat was catching me. I pushed on into Z3 to finish with my best session of the year. 14,652m is just 26 meters or about 2 strokes better than my previous mark but I'll take it for a 5:30am start. Interesting porridge concoction now, coconut milk, sultanas, banana, nectarine and peanut butter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Taper? Sure there's 2 more weeks to cram some training in and drop a kg :D

Row
    Erg this morning. An hour straight Z2 until 5 mins to go and my pace boat was catching me. I pushed on into Z3 to finish with my best session of the year. 14,652m is just 26 meters or about 2 strokes better than my previous mark but I'll take it for a 5:30am start. Interesting porridge concoction now, coconut milk, sultanas, banana, nectarine and peanut butter :)

Nice work :D

That sounds more like fruit salad than porridge btw :D

Haven't been feeling the bombdiggidy the last few days plus work mental. Hence zero training

Row
    On the erg for an hour capped at 155hr today. Feeling much better. 80s music on the radio, door open with rain cascading in on top of me cooling me down. Very controlled session. Focused on relaxed form and breathing to keep the heart rate down. My ipod died with 8 mins to go so it was just the rhythmic whrrrr of the chain wheel bringing me home for a training PB. Best of 13 of these sessions this year. 14,680m or 2:02.6/500m a mere 24m on the last mark but a new mark for aerobic fitness nonetheless.

Bike MTBo Nave Practice
    https://www.strava.com/activities/349308363
    A usual bike out to the in-laws is an hour and a bit main road roadie. Today it was a 2 hour planned route on the MTB avoiding main roads and a taking in a CP to make it a scenic route. Kitted up as though it was a leg of the Beast. Map in cling film in the map holder and off I went. Warm, breezy day and it flew by concentrating on the Nav. My CP was located at Lough Gur behind the visitor center, up a steep trail with steps to a stone. Biked most of it and hike-a-biked just the last bit. The second half was a variety of back roads to the in-laws. Felt great. Tested a Zipvit expresso gel and boom! 20 mins later, juice! Pushed it to make it a session and challenge the concentration to spot turns that were not signposted. Happy to nail the route. 49.19km in 2:05 avg 23.4kmh. Very enjoyable session and daytime bike nav felt easy in comparison to the night nav practice :) The Beast terrain and route is undoubtedly going to be very challenging but feeling good about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Deadly :D

Swim Group
    2,000m as
    400m in 6:32
    6x200m in on 3:17/3:19/3:11/3:09/3:13/3:14
    4x25m hard, 25m easy
    200m easy

Late down so straight into the main set. I had to catch up so pace was fresh from the start. Fell in behind the group for the first 2 200s. A new guy went out hard and dropped the group on rep 1 but was heaving. He died on rep 2 so it slowed things down. I took over the lead and hit the next 4 at about 1:36 pace dropping the group each rep. No body or nemesis down though. Felt good and stayed for the few short sprinty bits. I'm barely swimming once a week but getting a little form back.

Row
    Short 30 mins Z2 capped erg at 20spm. 7,447m is a best mark for the session so base fitness is improving. Pace 2:00.8/500m. Felt good again.

Row
    Another busy day, another short 30 mins capped Z2 erg. Another PB for the session :) Rocky steady state at 20spm after bathing and putting Zoe to bed. Caz went out to the Boat house to try rowing. Didn't make it beyond the tank but enjoyed it enough to go back and give it another try out on the water.

Just pulled a very steady effort and very close to cracking 2:00 per 500m for a Z2 workout. Actual 7,492m avg 2:00.1/500m. PB by 45m. I did originally have bigger plans, with the Beast looming large next week, than a measly half hour but life is busy and brownie points must be earned :cool:

Spent the last hour messing with rope climbing equipment. Haven't a clue and we have a rope test next wednesday :o

Swim 'Group'
    I doubt I'll ever make the warm up for these sessions again. Zoe dictates proceedings in the house and it means 7am in the pool just aint gonna happen. Still, I get down for about 20 past and the start of the main set. A 2.4km main set today. The body was there and was going to lead out until it was suggested I do. She let me off with a "going to make you commit" look in her eyes and a big grin. I set off for 2 sets of 2x200m/4x100m/2x200.

I have no clue what I was doing with my watch but it recorded that I swam 200m in 45 mins. So no splits but I know the whole lot was sub 1:40 pace. The first set was strong and I easily dropped the group, even pulling away from the body who also left the group behind. I had to work for the second set and teh dwindling group started to come back to me. Good swim :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I assume the rope test is part of the Beast? Dare I ask, but what happens if you fail the rope test? Is a test like that normal for ARs?

Nice swimming off one swim a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement