Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    I assume the rope test is part of the Beast? Dare I ask, but what happens if you fail the rope test? Is a test like that normal for ARs?

Nice swimming off one swim a week.

Failure is NOT an option!!

A little revision required ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Nice swimming off one swim a week.

Indeed, if only I could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Rowing 1x
    Technically its called sculling. An oar in each hand. We were short bodies tonight so it was smaller boats. A 4x, 2x and myself in a 1x. A single scull is about 25ft long, weighs less than my road bike and the hull is less than a foot wide. I hadn't been in one in about 12 years so it was a nervous start. One tiny mistake and you can easily flip into the water. Not so worried about that now that I can swim!

Lovely evening and the water was flat calm. I found a rhythm and some balance quickly and could push and let the boat glide. It's a short bendy section of river with some swans guarding their signets aggressively. As such there was lots of looking over my shoulder. I was able to stay ahead of the other boats so had the width of the river to play with. Sculling is great for posture and strength. You have to engage your core completely on every stroke to maintain balance. It's hard to describe how it feels to catch the water perfectly with both blades, connect with the legs and drive the boat away from the oars stuck in the water. The boat running, balanced beneath you. A little thin wake off your stern. Those strokes were seldom but enough to really enjoy the 45mins to myself for a change. The boat has to be put on trestles and cleaned afterwards like a ritual of sorts.

I really wanted to do a few short runs this week but I cut the sole of my foot in the garden at the weekend and it needs to heal by next week. 6 more sleeps...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Why the 4x and 2x rather than quads and pairs? If people are sweep rowing in the 8 why scull in the smaller boats?

I've seen this has become a lot more popular in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I'm learning so much stuff about rowing that I'll never need to know :D but really liking the education. Enjoying ur log thanks Mike

Me too!!! especially about the rowing tank! ;)

• Advertisement

Trig1 wrote: »
    Me too!!! especially about the rowing tank! ;)

How long since you've been in a boat Trig?

mossym wrote: »
    reason i ask was i might be looking to add a couple of late evening swims into my routine. not sure how it will pan out but if we could make it work it would be a lot better to have someone else there as well.

we might even get a couple more takers from here, there are a few doing some race in galway next year and they might be looking to get some mileage in..:D

Hmmmm Is that a dig at me, I'd be interested by the way but I would struggle to stay at Mikes Pace, Mossy's pace should be ok :cool:

How long since you've been in a boat Trig?
    Made a bit of a comeback around 2004 (I think ) and raced Nottingham/Henley and came 3rd in Senior 8 champs, besides that it was probably 1997:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hmmmm Is that a dig at me, I'd be interested by the way but I would struggle to stay at Mikes Pace, Mossy's pace should be ok :cool:

mossy's pool pace is around Mikes now, by the time we start he'll be far ahead though.

wouldn't dig at you, sure you do no swimming over the winter anyway

P - Why train in sculls, 4x, 2x ,1x?

1. Bodies. You get a motley crew of scullers, rowers, nooobs and "I'll do whatever" types down to these things. Scullers have to step into an 8+ to make up numbers and support the noobs. Coxes may be absent or plentiful. Depends on what boats are rigged. If there is a Launch and caoch etc.. Bigger boats suit beginners and the stability of the stability of the boats rank from 8, 4x, 4+, 2x, 4- etc..

2. Technique - Rowers (sweep) don't necessarily make good scullers but scullers do transition well to sweep rowing. Noobs tend to watch their oar in sweep boats but concentrate more on body position and hands in sculls.

3. Variety. Its a social group. We dirnk tea and biscuits and plan BBQs afterwards. Going down once a week you only get a certain amount of sessions during teh summer so may as well try different boats.

• Advertisement

Image may help those reading wondering what we are nattering on about

http://megunticookrowing.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/rowing_shells.jpg

Or a linky

rowing_shells.jpg

Z2 Run
    2nd run this month. Needed to wake the legs up, test out a new pair of tri shorts and see how the body feels. Engine OK, legs felt like boards. Hips and hams. 9.43km at 4:56 pace and all at steady Z2. Quite muggy and still. It flew by as I pondered nutrition strategy for next week. Weigh in tomorrow morning...

Getting excited :):eek:
    3 days 21hrs to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Okay, Beasty-McMuffin.....you go have some fun with your team! Best of luck to you and your mates!!!!!! Whoop whoop!!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

bets of luck Mike, make sure Sean gets home, or if not at least bring back the keys to the shop so we're not left gearless.

will keep an eye on the tracker, will be all over munster this coming weekend on the bike so you never know, i might find ye to cheer ye on..

Best of luck Mike. Have a blast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Good luck with this Mike, hope it includes lots of swimming!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck to you and all the team. Just. Keep. Going!

Thanks peeps :) I remember being kinda fascinated with the amount of gear and nutrition you need for an Ironman. I'd arrange it all neatly and take a picture. Much harder to do with a 9 month old crawling around unpacking what you have just packed!

No pic this time. Just too much gear to be laying out. The food alone was an operation. After the best part of 1.5 days the bike is self serviced and cleaned, 150l box carefully packed and filled with gear, Go food packs and transition 'stop' food packs sorted. Must get some sleep now... it all starts tomorrow!

Best Of Luck Mike "Go Hard! or Go Home"

Survived the day at work. The office is a stark sobriety check after doing what we did for 72hrs and the activities that bookended that magical experience. Lights on but no one home kinda a day. Last 2 sleeps I dreamed about upcoming race stages and thought I woke up in transition!

Body and feet are not as bad as I expected them to be. Just need some more sleep to process this race and come up with a report.. stay tuned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Survived the day at work. The office is a stark sobriety check after doing what we did for 72hrs and the activities that bookended that magical experience. Lights on but no one home kinda a day. Last 2 sleeps I dreamed about upcoming race stages and thought I woke up in transition!

Phew, I'm not the only one waking up during the night in a right panic thinking that I've slept through transition :)

This has had more of a psychological effect on me than a physical one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I was waking up at 2 hour intervals last night thinking I'd to get up and go. When I realised I could stay tucked under my duvet... Best. Feeling. EVER!!! :D

Yesterday was obviously still adrenalin high as the number of comments I got about my "tanned face" and fluid movements suggested I was lying on a beach for the weekend rather than traversing South East Munster!

Today, a different story. Floored. Lashing coffee, chocolate and coke in all day. Face peeling, blistered lips, sorry eyes, bathroom every hour... Body is rebelling.

With that, this log closes. Decided a while ago that I'd start a new log for the next adventure (Godzone is still very much the overall goal). Usually logs end with a race report but I very much doubt I will add much to AKW's rendition and Kate's version to come. Plus I have no other races planned this year. A Beast report will open the next chapter, that I promise :)

Work and baby conspire. Life wins for now. I'll be back...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement