Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Saturday September 14 2013

Plan: Short Steady Run

Wipe out of a week for various reasons. Last week's long run was flattering too. Measured the route again on this run and it was a good bit short :rolleyes: Anyway more or less the same long run planned for tomorrow. Was mad to get out for some activity today after watching Aileen bag a silver in London this morning. Short run done bouncing along in my sketchers. Love them. Achilles worried me for a start but felt ok warmed up.

Actual: 8.3km in 36:59, pace 4:27

Weekly Summary
    Running: 17.3km in 1:17:16
    Rowing: 0m
    Swimming: 0km
    S&C: 0:00:0
    Weight Check: 81.5kg or 180 lbs - lost 0.3lbs

No long run done:( Nothing much done at all..

Monday September 16 2013

Plan: Easy Lunchtime Run

Right to begin again in earnest. Simple trot around the town with my work buddy in the blustery wind. Use Run Keeper tracker lately for these and it was plain lying to me about the pace today. It was conversation effort through the Park but I had to be back at the office for a 2pm meeting and pushed on a bit at the Quays. Steady effort up the Drag to put a few minutes between us. The Sketchers initially feel like a cloud but dropping back toward the heel as you tire up a hill makes them feel like a clog. Encourages you to focus on your stride and takes you out of the running trance. The Marathon is looking like carnage if I fly and die on this effort. I suppose a few more runs with a few stretched and I might join Dory and the 3:20s :D

Actual: 8.08km in 38:07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I would love the fine company. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I would love the fine company. :)
    If I can keep up :confused:

Another day of 'nothing'. I've written 'nothing' into a total of 88 days days this year. More than the previous 4 years combined. Swimming is at 60% of usual volume, cycling is at 16% of my norm and running at 45% of the norm. Mates joke that because I'm hitched its game over :)

As of tomorrow not one more 'nothing' for the rest of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

As of tomorrow not one more 'nothing' for the rest of the year.

We will allow a 3 strike rule for the rest of the year:) I am in a similar boat, have missed a lot of training this year and have been inconsistent with shoulder/ribs injuries and being generally fed up at times. Swim about 35% behind, bike 20% ahead and run 15% down. Onwards & upwards!!

@JB - nearly a first strike... on day 1 :o

Wednesday September 18 2013

Today's Plan: Early group swim, easy run and short easy row

I did make it to a pool but not my own session. Its fascinating to watch the kids lessons. Adults stand and stare at the instructor giving instructions, before repeating the same mistakes over and over. The kids never stop moving. They duck, dive, splash, make faces, taunt, make shapes in the water, ripple, barely listen to the instructor and still execute progress on nearly every new activity. Oh to be prophetically intrigued by the water as they are :(

It inspired me to dig out my unused paddles, flippers and pull buoy to do some technique now that there are no swim events on the immediate horizon. I'm also keen to join a coached group or get some lessons. Lessons might be good as I've never had them but I like learning in a group. I met the Masters group coach afterwards and enquired about the adult lessons there. He said I didn't need them and anyway the expertise wasn't there. I replied that I he has only seen me flog up and down the lane doing freestyle. I want to learn proper technique for all strokes, and tumble and learn the drills etc..

So, I managed to salvage the day from another 'nothing' with a short trot around suburbia this evening. I felt rather heavy, sluggish and sweaty. It suddenly got mild out there again after a chilly start to the week. This weather is bizarre!

A couple of winters ago I set about doing a mini challenge of doing 100 push ups in one go. Started again today. Max effort 45, then 5*5 more. Rowing is going to necessitate getting familiar with the gym again for the first time in years. I need it too...

The row didn't happen either.

Actual: Run 8.3km in 39mins & 70 push ups. Better than nothing.

I've never seen you swim, but I doubt seriously that you need "lessons" in the pure sense we all think of when we hear "lessons".....but....I could see where there might be value in having someone with proper coaching expertise look at your stroke and put you through a session to see what happens over 60 to 90 minutes of various and assorted swimming. I may be a bit biased, but perhaps you could hook up with interested on a weekend when you're in Dublin or when he's in/near Limerick for such a session if you can't find anyone in your neck of the woods. Food for thought. :)

@DoryDory - yes you are right. Checked out some 1-1 coaching and at 30 euro for 45 mins its steep. But then it is a session solely focussed on you. I'll give it some thought. Meanwhile I just need to start swimming again and digest the swimsmooth book I bought during the summer with good intentions.

Thursday September 19 2013

Plan: Bike Spin

I should really have gone for a run. However I cycled my trusted roadie to work this morning and cycling home on a mild windy evening I just felt like a spin. So, instead of the run I cycled the route 3 times instead. I enjoyed the laps and just spun the legs. I'd forgotten how much I liked cycling off the clock. No press ups tonight, triceps too tender after the usual over eager start yesterday.

Actual: 28km in about an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Careful now Mike - next thing you know you'll be dusting off the turbo :pac:

• Advertisement

Weekend September 20-22 2013

The Plan: Em, running, mainly long run and sit on the rowing machine

Actual: A race and a hike!

Got a message from amphkingwest on Friday to see if I fancied a run after work. 6km tempo. Sure I said. Met at the new shop and we trotted to Raheen. Despite him mentioning a race several times I didn't cop it. Got to Raheen and it dawned on me. I was obviously still back at work mentally. Anyway, despite my blushes he registered me and a 6km tempo followed. The last thing I had planned this weekend was a race! Trig1 was running too on his "lunchbreak".

I felt ok to start but poor fitness soon came to play. I worked hard into the headwinds and had a battle with a guy from Limerick AC. Both he and a girl from my club left me on a hill. It was a short enough race for the fade not to be too dramatic. Came home in 23:22, 16th of 90ish. Pace 3:53/km. Better than expected for the level of fitness and a decent tempo piece. I trotted back home with amphkingest, happy with his own run, yapping. 15km total.

Saturday was nearly a 'nothing' until I had to run an errand. I hopped on my bike do do so and took the scenic route home. Beautiful day for cycling or anything outdoors for that matter. 35km total.

Sunday was originally supposed to be a long run, the key session of the week. However some friends in town, a call for a trek and we left early to spend the day hiking in the Galty Mountains. It was a stunning day but the summit of Galty Mor (919m) had a cloudy cap and it contained some comically strong winds at the peak! Fun day, tired legs but no long run done. I'm not bothered. I got a little trekking and practice messing about with a map and compass which is a tiny step towards bigger goals than the marathon :)

Wednesday September 25 2013

Plan: Short easy swim

My ankle is black and blue since the weekend hike. A stumble down a hillside flared up to keep the running shoes off... :( So just a scenic commute to work on the roadie the last 2 days to relieve the serious quad doms from the same hike. I enjoyed the trekking but it kicked my ass. Caz has hiked a pile of the Scottish Monroes and without a bit of training in months, is perfectly fine. I need a heap of more practice at this walking lark!!

Anyhoo, up and down to the big smoke for work today so I stopped at the packed Arena for a short dip en route home. A simple straight 1500m was my intention. I swam a relaxed pace with some short overtaking pushes and a final hard 100m in 1:22. Ok swim but terribly inefficient.

Actual: 1.5km in 26:25

Thursday September 26 2013

Plan: Row 30mins aerobic at rate 18-20 and capped hr<155

Been off the rower for 2 weeks and it told. Started steady but cardiac drift was profound. I literally had to row easy for the last 10mins. Going to bring it back in regularly now. Felt fat and soft :( Really have to strengthen the core for rowing

Actual: Erg 30min at rate 19, avg hr 151 Max 155, 7,312m, pace 2:03.0/500m

Sunday September 29 2013

Plan: Limerick Novice Cross Country Championships.... seriously
    :confused:

Yes there is a marathon in 5 weeks. Yes I have not a single long run down for it. Yes I had not run since a 6k road race last week. Yes I'm just plain out of shape. Feic the excuses, I was asked to line out for the club team at the XC. No pressure, just do as well as you can. "Novice" does not adequately describe the category :eek: 70 odd singlets bounced up and down anxiously waiting for the start. Some, like me, chatting but most chomping at the bit. I recognised enough faces to know that even if I was fit I was out of my league. An impostor amongst proper runners. We only had 3 entered too so not enough to score.

I hadn't feeling well all morning but it was a pleasant afternoon and I had some family knocking around for support. Just do what you can Mike, its only 6k. Same as last week! The whistle went and the pace was electric. I just let what felt like the entire field off to do their thing. It was 4 laps of grassy fields and some steep banks. My the second corners of the first lap I was panting. My body had nothing. Unfit is one thing but no energy is another and cross country is just the thing to find you out.

I was steadily passed by runners for the first 2 laps until the gaps levelled out and everyone worked hard. I was hurting and wanted to drop out into the ditch on the back field. I tried a few spurts to make inroads but by the time I closed a gap on a shirt I'd fade. I could still make out the leaders on the other side of the pitch and counted roughly 30-35 back to me. I set a goal of not losing another place for lap 3 and just finishing the thing out on lap 4. I was passed by a red shirt that was my own club and it brought me back into the race. My mind was willing but my legs had nothing. I cannot remember a race hurting like this and being so far back! On lap 4 I just gave what I had and clawed back a meagre 2 places, the last of which involved a sprint finish.

Last week I did 6k on road and though I faded a bit I felt ok and jogged home. A week and no running later and I was floored after 6k on grass. I probably finished towards the back of the middle of the pack. It didn't matter as we didn't have 4 to score anyway. Didn't enjoy this at all. Cross Country hurts!

Actual: 6km XC race (Ideal Marathon prep eh :cool:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

You're mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Solobally8 wrote: »
    You're mad!

I was beginning to think I was the only one that thought so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

"Novice" does not adequately describe the category :eek:

I'm always amazed at the standard of runner in 'novice' cross country events. They can had many a seasoned road runner their ass over a cross country course.

@ all -Mad?! Ha, takes one to spot one kiddos ;)

Monday September 30 2103

Plan: Swimming back to basics; coached group session

The group is intermediate standard and I was warned I may not benefit from it. I turned up to give the session a chance and make the decision. I did 1,000m steady on my own as a warm up before the session. I felt ok, just long rhythmic strokes. The session itself was a short mix of stroke count, back stroke, breast stroke, kicking without fins and tumble turn practice :) This is similar to where I started a few years ago so I'm using it to focus on improving my stroke over the winter. The aim being to be more efficient over long swims next summer.

Actual: 2,400m with drills and stuff

The marathon is in 4 weeks, not 5. You'll be grand.

(Tumble turns. :D)

Wednesday October 02 2013

Plan: Lunchtime Run around the town

October sun :confused: It was warm and sticky out there today. For all the world like summer. I skipped along on my toes for 10 minutes with the wind at my back grinning as though I were fit. Then I turned a few corners and faced it again. Uphill, into the wind. Pure slog. Wanted to sit down. Somehow I'll get through the equivalent of 4+ laps of this in less than 4 weeks. My entire marathon programme will barely hold a candle to a single week of Dory's :rolleyes: Today I was toasted after a lap of panting. Still, I do like running around the town on my lunchbreak :)

Actual: 8.08km with hills in 36:44, pace 4:33

• Advertisement

Thursday October 03 2013

Plan: Lunchtime Run around the town

http://runkeeper.com/user/shotgunmcos/activity/251460019
    Warm and very humid. Sweated buckets as I dragged my way around a longer lunchtime urban route. Nothing exciting except a few shouts out of car windows from knackers..

Actual: 9.54km with hills in 45:14 pace 4:45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Somehow I'll get through the equivalent of 4+ laps of this in less than 4 weeks.

Actual: 8.08km

Technically correct, but I'll be helpful and point out you'll need 5+ of these laps for the marathon;)

Finding it hard to read the logs these days, generally because my own is so flat compared to the energy and dedication of most! Avoiding Kurts though because he is talking about Breaking Bad and I am currently engrossed in Season 2 :rolleyes:

Another bad week. Worse than usual. Achilles :mad::mad::mad: Just a mild strain but that led to a loss of the spring this year and I'd rather show up fat and unfit than injured. So, another few days of no running. Running will hardly make a difference at this stage anyway :pac:
    Probability of hitting original 2013 Marathon target: ZERO
    Probability of accompanying Oryx & Dory to the line: SLIM
    Probability of running the whole 42.2km: LOW
    Probability of dragging myself around anyway: MEDIUM
    Probability of body rebelling in the days & weeks afterwards: HIGH

Instead of a long run today I put on a Hi Viz and lent a hand at the Human Race. The 3*10km loops for the 30km race would have been an ideal prep run. I saw one fella running in his jeans :confused:

So, my 3 week crash course Marathon programme will consist of mostly rowing machine, swimming pool, yoga mat and maybe a run or 2 :D All I can do is laugh about it at this stage. How hard can it be eh?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I thought Kurts ten minute marathon plan last year couldn't be beaten but I guess yours gonna try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    I thought Kurts ten minute marathon plan last year couldn't be beaten but I guess yours gonna try!

Three week plan, starts tomorrow. Loads of time Mike, put the feet up for a while yet ;)

Seriously, I reckon you've the base for 3:30-3:45 off little specific training. You've already gotten your body used to endurance stress, and you know how to fuel correctly so you'll be fine.

All I can say is....I never underestimate what you are capable of on race day. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Be careful though. No point wiping out a whole winter for a disappointing marathon. Completely get where you're coming from. I'd love to run DCM this year at whatever pace.

Fair play on the cross country. Those lads are tough. Hoping to make a few of the cross country fixtures, checking previous results, "novice" is v misleading.

Monday to Sunday 6-13 October 2013

The Plan: 2 Short Runs, 2 Short Rows, 2 Short Swims: 3 hours total
    Actual: 1 Run, 3 Rows: 2.5 hours total

The Run: 8.99km easy rare lunch break jog around town. Swamped in work lately and I needed the fresh air as much as I needed to test the Achilles. Achilles felt ok to start but stiffer towards the end. Really dubious now.

The Erg: 3 short steady rows just trying to get back on it. Very sweaty stuff. 20 minutes hell. 30 minutes hell. 30 minutes less hell.

So another week goes by. I think I trained more than this when I was out travelling! The scale showed a year high of 84kg. The first notch on the belt has become the 3rd - I've had the belt over 8 years and have never needed the 3rd :( So a week of training then taper :) Seriously, a couple of easy runs this week and 10-13 miles at the weekend and I'll give it a go. If the Achilles cannot do that lot then its simply asking for trouble.

As badly as I want you to run DCM, you must mind the achilles and think of your physical health in the longterm. See how this week/weekend goes, then make the best decision for you. Either way, I assume the achilles won't keep you from cheering and beering. ;):D

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    .... Either way, I assume the achilles won't keep you from cheering and beering. ;):D

Hell no :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement