Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

.. although not running :cool:

Wednesday October 16 2013

The Plan: Easy swim with some drills

I had a day off today and after a morning of cutting slates and tiling I wondered over to the quiet Arena for a dip. First dip in 3 weeks. I brought swim toys with the intention of some drills and swimming. Had a loose plan of 1800m technical stuff in mind. While stretching on deck facing an empty lane a troop of masters arrived and hopped in. 1800m set they said. Join us if you like they said. I thus abandoned my own plan and jumped into the middle of their group for:
    200m easy
    5*100m off 1:55 in on sub 1:35
    100m back stroke
    4*100m off 1:55 in on sub 1:35
    100m back stroke
    3*100m off 1:55 in on sub 1:35
    100m back stroke
    2*100m off 1:55 in on sub 1:35
    100m back stroke

I left the full 5 secs after feet and reeled them in each time. It felt good but the work became tougher as the set progressed. The back stroke was my first time trying another stroke in the middle of a main group set. I was happy not to fall behind but it took it out of me for the first 100m of the next set of 100s. The troop hopped out as quickly as the had hopped in. Pure efficiency :)

I put the fins on and did 4*50m kicking easy just to do something technical. As I did so I realised I had the lane to myself and figured it was as good as opportunity to do a 400m TT as any. I wasn't expecting much due to lack of fitness and the set already done. I horsed into it trying to keep the stroke long. The first 200m wasn't bad but the fade kicked in before I hit 250m and it was horrible from there. By 300m I wanted to stop but I thrashed through a final 100m to register a 6:08. I was spent at that. I wasn't pleased with it as I have done reps at that pace back in the spring. We have to start somewhere though and its a mark to benchmark as the start of the build back.

Going to attempt a run tomorrow.

Actual: Swim 1,800 Masters set & 400m TT solo

Thursday October 17 2013

Plan: 30 min Run 30 min Swim

The run was simple. Easy warm up for 10 minutes then 20 at a steady aerobic pace paying close attention to the Achilles. It was on the treadmill thus sweaty and boring. The ankle felt OK and that was good. Felt there were some reserves there too which could also be good. One swallow doesn't make a summer though.

The swim was in a 20m hotel pool. I did a 100m relatively hard to get a feel for the stroke count and turn. It was a 1:20. Next a 200m at moderate pace and a comfortable enough 3 mins. OK, a go at a shorty short course 400m TT? Why not. I launched into it. After 160m my shoulders began to burn. I plugged in for the pain and just pushed. The short lengths really helped to break it down. A good kick and glide gave the tiniest break. The last few lengths were thrashing and ugly. Overall a 5:34 which wasn't bad.

Actual: 30 main Run at 4:30 pace & 1,300m SC swim inc 400TT

Friday October 18 2013

Plan: Short easy Run and a Hike

Just a little longer on the treadmill to again check the Achilles. Felt good. Boring run again but served its purpose. Spent 2 hours hiking in the wind and rain afterwards. Easier than I thought but couldn't quite get to the top due to savage winds on the plateau before the peak. Hat blew straight off my head at one point and I had to descend into the heather to find.

Actual: 45 minutes run and Hike with the missus :)
    20131018_130531.jpg

Saturday October 19 2013

Plan: Circa 60 minute light progression Run

Another step up in duration and a squeeze of moderate effort to test the ankle again. Pouring rain. Started grim and slow. Pushed a little on 10, 30 and 40 minutes. Happy that ankle felt ok. I better after the run than the start. All positive but again all too little too late. Tomorrow a longish run will make the decision about running next week. Not a chance of hanging with Dory for even 10k after reading her last log entry :( Oryx humming too. I won't get left behind when it comes to the pizza though!

Actual: 12.28km in 57:50 average pace 4:42

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I haven't lost my mind - I'm still targeting 3:20. <gulp> And you....you...as I said before, I never underestimate what you are capable of. With that being said, it is very possible you will be waiting at the finish line with a huge smile on your face for both me and Oryx. And shoot, I don't underestimate Ms. Ironwoman herself - she could easily go a sub 3:20 and be the dark horse of the day. Oryx is a little sneaky in her vagueness of her training sometimes. She's better than she let's on. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I haven't lost my mind - I'm still targeting 3:20. <gulp> And you....you...as I said before, I never underestimate what you are capable of. With that being said, it is very possible you will be waiting at the finish line with a huge smile on your face for both me and Oryx. And shoot, I don't underestimate Ms. Ironwoman herself - she could easily go a sub 3:20 and be the dark horse of the day. Oryx is a little sneaky in her vagueness of her training sometimes. She's better than she let's on. :D
    Wow I only just saw that. I could go sub 3:20, sure. On rollerskates.

And looking faaaaabulous as always, there shotgun. Legs to die for!

• Advertisement

Not ideal Marathon approach

Typical Marathon basic programme
    4 months
    16 runs a month
    16 long runs
    300km a month

My programme
    4 months
    5 runs a month
    0 long runs
    70km a month

Typical taper
    2 weeks
    6-8 shorter runs
    Strides
    Chilling out/race plan
    Travel to Dublin the day before, register, good sleep and stroll down to start after a hearty brekkie

My Taper
    2 weeks
    1 short run
    Drive Limerick to Dublin & Back Thursday & Friday for 14 hour work days
    Drive Limerick to Dublin & Back again to register Saturday
    Drive Limerick to Dublin on Race Morning
    No race plan, no fuelling plan

Why am I even still considering it? Is this just pure stupidity?

Answers on a post card :):(

Makes perfect sense to me. I call it the wing and a prayer plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Wouldn't it be ironic if you'd no issues with quad cramps next Monday.

Ironically my plan throughout the last Tri season was spookily along the same lines as your approach. I really don't know what you're worried about champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

You could ask a fellow running to register for you , (not in the rules) but saves you a trip acorss the country.

anyway enjoy the run,

BennyMul wrote: »
    You could ask a fellow running to register for you , (not in the rules) but saves you a trip acorss the country.

anyway enjoy the run,
    Ahem *photo id required* ahem.

• Advertisement

not last year, or the one before that :o

It mentions it on the acceptance slip, twould be a bugger if they were actually checking. :)

too true, So please forget my above comments Mike, and enjoy the run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have never once been asked for ID though. Then if you pick up two at once they might get suspicious :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

This was in another thread. Apparently you can get someone else to pick up your number.
    If you give your acceptance e mail with photo id and a letter of consent someone else can pick it up for you with their photo ID

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86951404

I can try for you? I'll be close to the RDS on Saturday. I can see if I can get it for you at 11am when doors open and then meet you on race morning.

If I can't get it, I'll text you straight away and then you can leave from Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

MCOS, I'm at the Expo and should have no issue picking up your pack for you as soon as it opens. Sometimes, they can facilitate where staff are busy on the stands and can't collect themselves *nod *nod ;);)

Thanks a mill lads. AKW I'll ring you as you may get it easier than nerraw. Bloody exhausted from the chain gang this week. Hit 14 stone which bodes well for Monday too eh :D

I lost a bet to hoochiedoubleD this year. The least I can do is run with her? Predictions on how long I can stay with her? At which km will I fall off the pace? :o

If I arrive home in a heap and have shot winter training to pieces, I am not allowed to complain. Fair enough I guess :cool:

I lost a bet to hoochiedoubleD this year. The least I can do is run with her? Predictions on how long I can stay with her? At which km will I fall off the pace? :o

Run with moi?? :D You fall off the pace?? Nah, you've got magic. And now I've got tree studs on my @ass! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thanks a mill lads. AKW I'll ring you as you may get it easier than nerraw. Bloody exhausted from the chain gang this week. Hit 14 stone which bodes well for Monday too eh :D

If I arrive home in a heap and have shot winter training to pieces, I am not allowed to complain. Fair enough I guess :cool:

Might do a changeover of the pacing flag so if i get a little tired:). See you on Monday.

Might do a changeover of the pacing flag so if i get a little tired:). See you on Monday.

Oh no you don't, princess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best of luck Monday MCOS, remember, don't let the hobbit make you look like a b!tch :D.........and mind that leg!!

Plan: 40min PMP Run

I've run just once in the last 3 weeks and I figured I had to do a run before this Marathon just to remind the legs what it feels like to pound the road. I ran by feel at what I felt would be the Dory Dory bus pace on Monday. I felt rough to be honest. The whole back of my legs were tight. Glutes, hammers, calves and Achilles. A few little hills in this local route and they taxed the hip flexors too. It was a cool windy evening, the kind of conditions I usually like. This run at this stage should barely have felt like a warm up. Instead I finished sweating and panting.

The end zone and mental game generally kick in with 10km to go in the Marathon but once you are over that 20 mile barrier you know you will get home. I predict I'll not just enter that end zone but will be firmly rooted mentally inside it with 20km to go :eek: Monday is going to hurt. Wonder if the legs will hold up? The lungs? The mind? Big thanks to AKW for registering me. Driving up at 0530 on Monday morning... gulp

Actual: 9.31km in 43mins, pace 4:37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Love the attitude Mike! Best of luck Monday, hope to bump into you afterwards. Mind that achilles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You are one stubborn mule :) Well done yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You need to write a book on your training methods. Nothing phases you! Brilliant attitude all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Well done MCOS, if there was ever a doubt you are a lunatic!! :)

The most calmest and relaxed person I've ever seen taking on a marathon with their longest run being 6 months ago! I don't know if you spotted it but there was a panicy moment on Foster's Avenue yesterday. When you went past & realised I was there, I thought you were coming back to step out!! The panic was me thinking I'd be running the last 6 miles with you :D

Awesome stuff, well done on doing what you said you'd do!! Remember 'double or quits' ;)

GLR training starts May 1st 2014

How to do Marathon like a Muppet!

Training:
    Why bother? It just makes you tired, you get skinny and sure the Marathon itself is a few weeks worth of the minimal weekly amount of exercise for an adult anyway right? The odd run here and there is good and a long run every 4 months is loads. Plus wise people have written books on how we are born to run so it will just come naturally to you on the day.

Fuelling:
    Instead of the same ole same ole starchy meals the day before, opt for something unusual you have never tried before and have 2 plates of it! Lettuce and Feta cheese quiche with orange chocolate and honeycomb cake for afters, anyone? On race morning have your porridge over 4 hours before the race so you are slightly peckish. It will encourage you to run faster to the first food station and get there before the masses.

Gear:
    Forget about the shoes you are using all the time. Save your Marathon shoes after you buy them for, the Marathon. You get that new shoe feel on the morning and who doesn't love the smell of new shoes? Also never mind the Vaseline if you are wearing short shorts and the forecast is for rain. Won't the rain naturally lubricate the sensitive areas? There is no way it can get sunny and warm enough in late October in Dublin to worry about salty sweaty friction right? Getting back to the born to run philosophy, if you tie your shoe laces so tight that you cannot feel your toes, it might encourage you to remove your shoes and run barefoot like we are supposed to.

Logistics:
    A long sleepy drive to the big smoke on race morning may not kick start the relevant adrenalin you will need to run hard to that first food station. Cut it fine enough so you need to do a mile tempo to drop off your bag and you can hear the starter go when you are still a block away from the starting pen! You will be angry enough at yourself for being late for the start that the sudden adrenalin will break you into a good enough sprint to get your heart rate up quickly.

The Race:
    Start 3 pace bands back from your target pace band so you can build your confidence passing thousands of people in the first 10 miles. Since you will be constantly side stepping and will need to use both flanks of the road quite often its best to plan running 11 miles in the first 10 miles. Finally negative splitting a Marathon is too stressful. Best to run the first half an hour faster than the second half to be safe that you don't put that stress on yourself in the final 2 miles.

The Actual Result:
    10km 46 mins :pac:
    21km 1:38 :pac:
    42.2km 4:18 :eek:

Late for the start! Seriously :confused: Took an hour of Marathon lunacy to catch the 3:20 bus where I finally settled and ran with DD and the Hobbit for a few miles. Left calf tighten at mile 12 and locked up just after half way. The quads joined the party within minutes. I stopped and stretched enough times to ensure no lasting injury but 13 straight miles with both calves and both quads cramping constantly = new very painful PB :rolleyes:
    bomb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

At least we now have a post on how not to do a marathon for all the newbies who ask for advice. Maybe worth a sticky?

Good to see Caz and yourself yesterday, as i said we now have a bigger house and a spare room so if ever you are coming to Dublin drop us a line!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had to go look at your results after seeing those posts. seriously well done, can't imagine what a marathon is like with that preperation. hats off mcos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sounds like my first marathon! :)

Good to see you yesterday Mike, never enough time to chat to everyone at these things. Hopefully catch ye again soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement