Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great set of A goals, mcos - all the best with them.

If you stay in one piece, the sub-3 run and swim should be well within your grasp.

However, 42km on a rower? fcuking nuts...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Izoard wrote: »

If you stay in one piece....
    The big IF.

The good thing is that I've had about a 6 month off season. The not so good thing is that I've had about a 6 month off season :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to start training this week. 2 weeks to get fit to train. Currently 13kg over race weight too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Plenty of variety there Mike. Fair play. :cool:

Any heads or regattas identified? The 2 on your doorstep were always good races.

Which of the A goals do you think will be the toughest?

December 16 2013: Short General Aerobic Run

Checked my work phone while having my breakfast and saw lunchtime meeting cancelled. Woohoo!! Felt just like I felt whenever we had a free class from school. Lunchtime runs have just been a no go lately so I left the meeting in the calendar and headed out with my work run buddy instead. Ah it was chilly but oh so nice to be trotting around town, dodging Christmas shoppers and nattering like ould wans. The run flew as a result. I tagged on 3 hills after he peeled off feeling pretty good. Man flu had been brewing since the morning and I felt rather stiff an hour later. I cared not. Finally a session to report :)

Total: 10.95km in 51:31

pgibbo wrote: »
    Plenty of variety there Mike. Fair play. :cool:

Any heads or regattas identified? The 2 on your doorstep were always good races.

Which of the A goals do you think will be the toughest?

To be honest the rowing is just a fun pursuit. The 2 on the doorstep would be great. St Micks Head of the River is first weekend in Feb. If I can get out in a boat in January I might get a spin for it. Limerick Regatta would be good too.

Of the 3 A goals I'm not sure. Swim should be 'easiest' if I can just get the swims in around the run and row sessions. I'll also have the run and row done in the couple of weeks beforehand which adds an element of challenge. The row should be next as I will have my fuel/drink beside me and will need to stop for a few seconds or row with one arm to fuel. It will be tough to sit on the machine for 3 hours though. I will need suitable entertainment to distract from the monotony of the 3,600 or so strokes :eek: The run is the hardest as its the one I really want and its not simply about putting the work in. Its about building the training and staying healthy, avoiding cramps, pacing etc..

Overall it will require a healthy volume of training. In fact I'd estimate I'll get more in from Jan-May 2014 than I did this entire year. Recovery, conditioning and rolling will be essentials :)

December 21 2013: Short Row

4 more days of nothing (Man Flu) then an attempt at a row. I really want to get into a boat in the new year but not showing my face until I am fit to train and by that I have certain rowing machine benchmarks to achieve. One of which is 8,000m in 30 minutes rating 20spm. Hitting 8k in a half hour is not a problem. Doing it a rate 20 is a lot harder. Today I managed 7,379m, absolute rubbish.

Another 2014 Goal. Me vs my Bro at the Irish Indoor Rowing Champs. The showdown is set for the open lightweight 500m and maybe the 2000m too. We both currently weigh 84kg and we will both have to get down to sub 75kg.

He is shorter but stockier than I. I used to row which is my advantage. I've also developed an endurance base over the last few years which should help. He has no pain threshold (:eek:) and 90% slow twitch fibre. He has a serious natural endurance engine but decided to lift weights over the years instead. He is also the single most determined person I know. He will pass out before he quits. I'm less than 70% slow twitch. I'm the one who should be lifting rather than marathon running and swimming etc..:rolleyes: I'm no stranger to pain myself though and he will bring the best out of me as I will him. The problem is, since I am his only nemesis and older brother, he will give it the kitchen sink to beat me!

Non rowers tend to do well at the National Indoor Rowing Champs. Rowing itself is a very technical sport that requires precision balance, rhythm and a natural flair for technical excellence. The indoor rowing machine tests pure stamina. The open 500m and 2,000m was won by a non rower this year, Paul Buchanon. A 110kg beast who lives on the machine. His times were simply mind blowing for a non rower.

So the Lightweight is a max 75kg category. The Lightweight Open 500m Gold was a 1:27.1. My Bro hopped on the machine the other day to test himself and to set a benchmark and did a 1:29.7 :eek: Now that would have only been good enough for 16th at his current heavy weight but at 75kg that would have bagged a Silver Medal! Its a serious score for a non rower. He wants to win and beating me in the process will be the ultimate cherry on top. I sat on today and didn't come close to his score. Died in lactic after just 200m :(

I realise this post means sweet F all to most who follow this log. I will log a run or swim soon to keep it somewhat relevant :D

Now, back to the mince pies...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No mince pies for you if you want to be lightweight....

December 22 2013: Row 500m TT & 30min rate 20

Proper attempt at a 500m TT on the C2 rowing ergo. 5 minutes steady state to warm up. I had a plan. Max effort for 150m, settle to my Bro's PB pace for 250m and hang on for the last 100m. Result 1:28.0 :D Puts me ahead. Average 514 watts and 40 strokes per minute. My heart rate hit 182 in under 90 seconds :eek: Wasted but pleased with it. Solid to 400m then had to hold on.

2nd part, after a few minutes to stop heaving and catch my breath, was a half hour rating 20spm. 7,413m was a better return than last time but my HR hit 179 to get it done. Tough piece after the short TT. Good session :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Merry Christmas, Stud Muffin. Let me know if you want to wager anything in 2014 - I'm always up for taking candy from a babe. ;):)

^she keeps getting in ahead of me :)

Ho ho happy holidays handsome!

^^^ It appears we've the same taste in men. :D

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Merry Christmas, Stud Muffin. Let me know if you want to wager anything in 2014 - I'm always up for taking candy from a babe. ;):)
    Any ideas? ;) I was advised to go double or quits with you this year by another boardsie but chose to concede defeat to a determined smokin' hoochie :D. Still the final paragraph to write on this years forfeit although we may be well into the throws of your kind of mischievous ideas by the time it lands!

Christmas Eve 2013: Row 30 mins rate 20

Basically a half hour holding a steady low rate and post as good a score as I can. Heart rate entered the red zone after 20 minutes and finished at 181. So, honest effort. Much much better than the last attempt but I was wrecked after it. Currently glued to couch beer to hand after the madness. 3kg heavier than I was this morning!

Total: 7,790m avg 226watts pace 1:55.5/500m

Happy Christmas folks :)

Any ideas? ;) I was advised to go double or quits with you this year by another boardsie but chose to concede defeat to a determined smokin' hoochie :D. Still the final paragraph to write on this years forfeit although we may be well into the throws of your kind of mischievous ideas by the time it lands!

Do I have any ideas?? That's my problem, I have too many ideas!! ;) First order of business for me come January 1st is to get back on track with my eating, so a cut-out-the-crap challenge would be VERY welcome....HOWEVER, if you would like something a little different this year (even something in addition to cutting out the crap), I am open to ideas....such as each of us doing/achieving something out of our comfort zones....or some sort of challenge involving us going head to head or as a team perhaps with other boardsies (a good excuse for me to travel somewhere)....or something involving a charity......or anything, or everything, really. You tell me if you have any ideas. :)

How about a single head to head endurance event where DD kayaks and shotgun swims 10k or something. You both swapping disciplines. It could be interesting. I'd watch anyway.

Oryx wrote: »
    How about a single head to head endurance event where DD kayaks and shotgun swims 10k or something. You both swapping disciplines. It could be interesting. I'd watch anyway.

Hmmm, that would be interesting - interesting concept - however I'd probably get my arse handed to me. I'd have to handicap the stud muffin - make him wear a drag suit or tie one hand behind his back....I am a weaklig when it comes to my upper body, and he's a self-taught fish!! How about a dance off??? :D

As long as I'm not involved, have a blast!

Oryx wrote: »
    As long as I'm not involved, have a blast!

Boo! :(

I will say, I sort of like the concept of switching disciplines, but I really would lose in great fashion if I have to kayak (unless we handicap?). A baby adventure race would be fun...or obstacle course....or maybe something we each put a team together for to go head to head with. ??? It would be a riot if we picked our teams without knowing what we'd be doing, then someone independent of us decided what event we're to do (within reason and certain parameters). Of course, this assumes others would want to participate in our fun.

Boo +1 :( A team event of sorts would be cool... mud wrestling anyone? :D

Kayaking vs swimming? A kayak at a light paddle by a novice would be 4kmh. Holding that pace swimming for 10k... I don't think so. Plus any flow pushes a kayak along more on top of the water than the swimmer in the water!

Dancing? I dance like no one is watching ;) That should be the mandatory fun after the challenge anyway!

St Stephen's Day 2013: Short Steady State Row

40 minutes on the C2 erg. Basically I figure I need to work up to holding 200 watts comfortably for 2 hours to have a bash off a sub 3 marathon. That will only come with work, lots and lots of it. Rowing a marathon will be no easier than running one. My main benchmark for sub3 marathon (running) will be circa 2 hours of planned marathon pace too. The 40 minutes today, while steady, employed a cardiac drift indicative of the mountain I have to climb. The size of the task for May 2014 struck home today :eek:

Total: 10,087m avg 208w, pace 1:58.9/500m

Boo +1 :( A team event of sorts would be cool... mud wrestling anyone? :D

Kayaking vs swimming? A kayak at a light paddle by a novice would be 4kmh. Holding that pace swimming for 10k... I don't think so. Plus any flow pushes a kayak along more on top of the water than the swimmer in the water!

Dancing? I dance like no one is watching ;) That should be the mandatory fun after the challenge anyway!

Watching Beyonce on tour right now, studying up on some dance moves to throw at you in our mandatory post challenge fun. ;)

• Advertisement

December 27 2013: Short General Aerobic Run

Mad wind. Red alert weather warning so probably best not to be out running. Stayed close to home. Within 2 minutes running up a hill into a cold gale driven rain I contemplated turning back. Figured I just needed to get to the turnaround and get the wind on my back. It was hard work. At one point I was leaning into the wind and it suddenly ceased. I almost fell forward! Much less effort with the tailwind but its been weeks since I've run and the legs felt it. I'm supposed to be running 70km a week to be fit to start the plan on Monday...emmm :o

Total: 10.47km at 4:47 pace, HR 148
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Watching Beyonce on tour right now, studying up on some dance moves to throw at you in our mandatory post challenge fun. ;)
    Sweet. Got some Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake moves to throw back :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

. I'm supposed to be running 70km a week to be fit to start the plan on Monday...emmm :o

)

ouch. i'm expecting a first week report similar to your DCM report so. a real SIU effort..:)

December 28 2013: Medium Steady State Row

Saturdays will be about extending the endurance on the C2 ergo or getting out on the water eventually. 50 minutes today watching James Cracknell's Race across America. Suitable motivation to keep going. I had intended 40 minutes at 200 watts but pushed on for 50 minutes at 208 watts and a steady 20 stroke per minute. I've never done more than hour on the machine but I intend to break that barrier in the next 2 weeks. Legs were a little stiff from the run in the mad wind yesterday. Cardiac drift still woeful.

Total: 50 mins, 12,609m, power 208w, pace 1:58.9/500m, HR 156 avg, 168 max

2013 in a nutshell

Totals
    Swim down 150km, 2012 445km vs. 2013 293km
    Bike down 5,000km, 2012 7,003km vs. 2013 1,478km
    Run down 1,300km, 2012 2,569km vs. 2013 1,432km

Highlight of the year
    Warrior of the Sea 6km: Got through my first ever panic attack a mile out from shore to finish in front of an excited shotgunjunior :)

Lowlight of the year
    The Donadea 50k Race. Was happy out to be running in the company of Marthastew, beepbeep67, Abhainn etc.. for a few laps then the Achilles acted up killing any subsequent sub3 marathon aspirations and my whole year in fact.

New Year's Day 2014: General Aerobic Run

The plan is set for the next 4 months an I intend to drag this body kicking and screaming through it until it feels good to train again. Until I'm fit enough to push the boundaries. Until the mad task of completing 3 sub 3 marathons in 3 different disciplines in 3 weeks morphs from madness to realistic to accomplished!

Today was simply getting on with the plan. Tasty hangover, hat, gloves and Paul Okenfold on board and I hit the pavements with a dose of HTFU. The first 30 minutes passing a few other shiny new resolution runners were pleasant. I felt good to be sucking in the cold air and bouncing along. The next 30 minutes needed a little steady focus after I went over on my right ankle triggering the right Achilles. It was just a small trip but I need to be more cautious. The final 30 minutes felt like too much work for an aerobic session but I'm just not fit enough yet.

Perhaps a 90 minute run from scratch is muppetry but I haven't time to build it up slowly. I'll just get on with the plan and listen to the body. I had to collect the car in town for a finish and when I sat in the windows fogged instantly. I was fairly toasty and sweaty but pleased to get it done. Some stretching afterwards as every little 2013 niggle presented itself. Looking forward to hitting the pool tomorrow and dreading it at the same time.

Total: 18.04km in 1:31:40, pace 5:04 not bothering with HR for a while

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Perhaps a 90 minute run from scratch is muppetry but I haven't time to build it up slowly. I'll just get on with the plan and listen to the body.

mind the injuries, i'm sure you know your body at this stage but pushing that hard will stress things. Look forward to seeing how this goes, given how different the goals are compared to everyone elses.

January 02 2014: Some Training

Swim Session
    200m warm up
    400m TT in 6:05
    8*50m Pull
    8*50m Paddle
    16*50m Kick
    300m mixed

Total: 2,500m

I was dreading this session as I had lost sense of the swim stroke through absence. The TT hurt. I started a hard 100m and figured I'd just see where I'm at after 6 weeks of no swimming. I was swimming in quicksand for the last 100m but a 2014 benchmark established for beating. The drills were ok. I focused on keeping as perfect a bow wave in front of my face as possible doing the kick set with fins, board and goggles off. It was sort of mesmerising and the set flew. I had a 50m lane to myself which helped and the group of ould masters in the next lane were very tidy swimmers. I had a few hours of vertigo afterwards which was not nice.

General Aerobic Run

Met Eireann were putting out an Amber Alert on the radio so I decided to get out before it got too windy. From the start I felt stiff and the legs were uncooperative. The route was testing for my level of fitness and I basically plodded through it. I wanted to stop several times but just plugged away. It was a shorter run than yesterday but felt a lot tougher. I laboured up the hills. The Achilles are stiff, particularly the right one but then so is the rest of the body. This will be the case for a while yet...

Total: 14.60km in 1:12:51, pace 4:59

General Aerobic Turbo

Good grief this was harder than expected. Ok, legs are yelling at me with all the sudden activity and I cannot remember the last time I was on the turbo, but still! I had to talk myself into completing each 5 minutes. It initially took way too long to dust off and calibrate the thing! I used to love the turbo but this plain sucked!

Total: 40 minutes at 207 watts

Some rolling and stretching planned for later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice catching up on the log - its been a year since I poked my head around decently.

Sorry to hear about the achilles, had tendonosis in 2010 and had me off for over half a year as I didnt treat it as I should have. Seems like you're over the hump of it.

Here's to 2014

January 03 2014: Endurance Swim Set

I planned 4*750m off 14 minutes. Simple swim steady to start building a base again. I had the lane to myself and was feeling ok so I tacked on 2 more. Mostly in around 13.5 mins but increasing effort to hold the pace. I will get fitter. I have to get fitter. Form will return.

Total: 4,500m

January 03 2014: General Endurance Run

Same as yesterday. Did the route in reverse which meant a little less headwind. Cold and windy out but I still had to take my hat off after a half hour burning up. Ok for 40 minutes then the it became increasingly laboured. A little grit needed to not stop. Wore compression socks which helped the Achilles a little. Paying more attention to it this year.

Total: 14.63km in 1:11:02, pace 4:52

January 04 2014: Tech Swim

200m warm up
    4*50m catch up
    4*50m ripple
    6*50m pull
    6*50m paddle
    16*50m kick

Total: 2,000m Short session as I had a free window to train. Bronze mark hit for January :)

January 04 2014: Recovery Run

Free window continued. Break in the awful weather. Kept the effort low, almost walking pace on hills. Felt surprisingly good. Niggles were not as obvious, maybe the legs are beginning to adapt. Tomorrow's longer run will tell for real.

Total: 9.17km in 49:17, pace 5:23

January 04 2014: General Aerobic Turbo

I felt a bit fresher after the easy run than last time I sat on the turbo. Just spun at a comfortable cadence and pressure. Enjoyed the smooth rhythm at times. Less of a task to finish but I was still tiring for a finish.

Total: 50 minutes at 212 watts

• Advertisement

January 05 2014: Medium Long Run

Posted about this already this morning but its not here :confused::mad: Anyway, alarm off early. One window to get the key session of the week done and it had to be this. I turned off the alarm and debated the gremlin trying to convince me to roll over and do it later. There would be no later. I'm at the foot of a huge mountain and the peak is obscured under thick cloud. The task in May is challenging enough if I hit all sessions. I can forget about it if I succumb to the gremlin on even one of these long runs.

Cloudy it was. Dark miserable windy cold morning. It didn't stop raining for the 2 hours either. My legs resisted. My body resisted. I had to take a few short walk breaks to get it done. Not too surprising as it was day 5 of running on the trot. Not even the tunes could motivate sore and stiff muscles. The wind increased as dawn broke but I had it at my back for the last 4km. I needed that too. Quick shower and recovery shake after I got home and off to rugby training for junior.

Glad I got it done as the rest of the day was busy. Had a nice epsom salt bath to assist the legs recover. Day off running tomorrow which will help too. Up late watching the NFL playoffs but same anti gremlin discipline will need to be applied for a swim in the morning.

Total: 24.28km in 1:56:10, pace 4:47

Weekly Summary Notes

Swimming - 3 short swims mostly technical work. Form is still not there but a return to the group swim session this week will accelerate that. 9km best week in months :)
    Running - 5 out of 6 of the P&D week 1 runs done and 80km total without any major breakdown :) Ok the legs are feeling it but plenty of stretching and a day off running tomorrow will help. Not sure I'm ready for this week's long run but I'll assess midweek.
    Rowing - Nothing done :( The running was taking a lot out of the legs so I figured I'd layer the rower on this week.
    Cycling - Dusted off the turbo and did a couple of short easy spins :) Its not a focus but I cannot completely neglect the bike. Minimum one turbo in the weekly plan.
    Core - Actually did some :D

Not yet fit to train, but training :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement