Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Running - 5 out of 6 of the P&D week 1 runs done and 80km total without any major breakdown :)

Nice start to the year MCOS, go easy on that swim volume now, you hear?;)

Are you going to follow the P&D marathon plan, and do swim/bike/row in addition to it? Or swap recovery runs with cross training?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Are you going to follow the P&D marathon plan, and do swim/bike/row in addition to it? Or swap recovery runs with cross training?
    Giving the P&D a chance. Swim & Row in addition. A turbo in place of a rec run. A hill run in place of a turbo if possible :)

Well week 1 and we are both ahead of Fazz on the swim so far :D

January 06 2014: Short steady state row

I was late getting up so swapped the swim for the evenings row. 45 minutes rating 20 and a nice steady state tempo. Found a lower end sweet spot and it felt good. Used to love sweet spot training on the turbo and my current half marathon pb is based off sweet spot training. Seems as though there is bang for buck in this zone. You feel like you can hold it forever which is satisfying but the effort began to bite at about 10k. Wound it up 5 minutes later. Today is supposed to be a comfortable cross training day. Enjoyed this. Any longer though and it would have crossed into laboured effort.

Total: 11,579m in 45mins, pace

January 06 2014: Swim Session

Mostly technique again with 1,500m steady included. Starting to feel less fat :) busier in the pool and the traffic slowed me down. Not fit enough to surge past yet.

Total: 3,300m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

January 06 2014: Short steady state row

I was late getting up because I stayed up way past my bedtime watching the Packers get beat by the 49ers.....

;)

I like your little color (colour?) scheme you got going on. :)

@Dory - Yep bloody good game, 2 heavyweights slugging it out. Down to last second FG which is what kept me up. We have Panthers this weekend whihc the pick of the weekend playoff games. 2 hard to call. Beat us by a score last time

January 07 2014: General Aerobic Run with 10*100m strides

Lucky, I got this done before the rain started. Nice loop of the town in and around refurbished banks. It was cold and calm, conditions I like. I like running by the river too. Did a set of strides after 25 minutes warming up. I didn't belt into them. I just wanted to get through the first bit of intensity in yonks intact. Job done. Calves a bit stiff but this run felt better than the start of last week.

Total: 14.6km in 1:08:35, pace 4:41

• Advertisement

January 08 2014: Hill Run - Keeper Hill

I had 19km planned but since it was so miserable (will the rain ever stop :rolleyes:) I figured it was as good a time as any to hook up with th ehill run group again. Its been a long long long time but I'm hell bent on doing my first IMRA race this summer and also just need to get used to off road stuff for longer term goals.

So, layered up and head torch on and off I went. The drive out was dark and foggy. I turned off for the mountain and took a wrong turn at the turn off to the car park. It sent me back down hill which I quickly realised was the wrong way. I stopped to turn the car around. It was pitch dark and a narrow road but thankfully I only drove about a km down it. 3 point turn. Reverse, straighten and "thump". Crap! The 2 front wheels had gently dropped into a dyke along side the road. No amount of revving and wiggling would dislodge it. Crap!

The car was basically perpendicular to the road. Not enough space behind it for a tow out and it was wet. I was on a mountain, nearest house over 4km away. I was in a pickle :o My sister lived close enough by for me to consider getting her to call her neighbour, a farmer, to bring up his tractor. It was 10 minutes before the start of the group run so I put on the hazards and ran back uphill to meet them. I met the coordinator, Colm, and explained my situation. He had his dog with him as he always does, a lovely golden lab. He was so lit up that he looked as though he had the Christmas tree lights wrapped around his neck. He was a happy pooch and raring to go running up the hill with his master.

Colm figured I may as well do the run as people were setting off. I was worried my car was blocking the road so he kindly ran back down to it with me to inspect. He reassured me that it was remote enough that a car would not likely pass there for days and we could get a few of the lads together to help after the run. Que another run back up the hill to start the hill run!

I like Keeper hill, I've been up it a few times in all kinds of conditions but again, it was over 18 months ago. I knew it was 14km to the peak and back with 595m total climb. I had just done about 200m ascent already so I figured it was too tall an order. Plus the last 1.5km before the top is very rocky. On a wet, dark, foggy night I wasn't going to risk a slip. So I trotted up with Colm and his comically lit up happy dog passing a few other heavy breathers as we climbed :) We basically ground our way slowly up to the 5km "continue or turn around" mark. I was done climbing, my quads were yelling at me.

The decent of Keeper from this point was easy. A wide gravel or rocky trail the whole way. I started very cautiously. I lost my partner as I loosened up. I tend to just let go on descents. Its my favourite part and makes the climbing worth while. However I was having trouble initially adjusting to the low visibility and if I wasn't running so slowly I'd have run into trees on bends. I though my head torch was just crap until I copped that I needed to tilt it down a notch. This gave me about 5 or 6m visibility but that was all I needed to loosen up a little more. I enjoyed a few km of letting my legs rev up and pull me down the mountain a little faster than I wanted to go but enough to taste the adrenalin of descending.

A few minutes after the end a posse of lads jogged down to the car. We tried lifting, shoving, jacking, stones etc but it wasn't budging. Stuck! One of the lads had a Jeep but he had run to the peak so he was a while away yet. In the end he arrived hooked me up and dragged my rear end across the tarmac until I popped out with the bumper hanging off. I was shivering with cold at this stage but so so grateful to the guys for sticking around in the rain to help out. They didn't mind getting covered in cold muck to help out a newbie muppet hill runner :o But, there is a kinship associated with these like minded off road folk that I like.

It was a raw introduction to getting "out there" for a hill run but I have to say I enjoyed the hurt on the hill and I have such faith in the good people of this world after this. Between the hill run and the running up and down to the car in the ditch I got the 19km done but with everything that happened I barely noticed it!

^^^ What a story!!!!! :eek::D Hope the bumper is ok. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Love it!!!!!
    Let me know when your going up Keeper with that group again and i might just tag along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

If it's any consolation, I got into similar trouble up there a few years back. I just barely avoided driving into the dyke. The front wheels were about an inch from the edge when my brother decided he should hop out and guide me with a torch....

I also missed the run entirely another night as I just got completely lost, my petrol light came on after 45 mins of searching so I headed back towards Newport with my tail between my legs.

@Trig - No probs, I'll drop you a line when we are out that direction. They do another one in Clare Glens too if that's not too far away from you?
    @gofasterdad - don't give up! The runs are worth it. I'm going to try and make it a regular thing. Doing them in the dark will mean that when it gets brighter you can give it more welly :)

January 09 2014: Z1 Turbo

Simple easy spinning for my longest stint on the turbo since summer 2012. Just held a steady 200-210w and watched a batman movie to distract me. Found it a bit tougher than I should but no cycling last year means this will be the case for a while. If I can just get on the bike once a week it might get better. Enjoyed the steady comfortable power at times.

Total: 1.5hours at 209 watts

• Advertisement

January 10 2014: 60 minute Endurance Swim

I want to do a sub60 IM (3.8km) swim in the pool. I've done it OW in a wetsuit and at peak fitness and in race conditions so draft was significant. However the best I could manage in that shape solo in a pool lane was a 62:22. This was not an attempt at it, I'm a million miles from that form, but an hour straight at a similar effort. In other words leaving it all in the pool for the 60 minutes. I fell just shy of 3.4km when the watch buzzed. I had been suffering since the 2k mark and pressed on with sheer stubbornness. Its a long long way short of sub60 form but I'll chip away at it...

January 10 2014: Recovery Run

Easy lunchtime trot around the refurbished city banks. It was cold and drizzling out. I felt ok but it should have been more comfortable. The pace was a bit quick for recovery. I have to forget about the watch and just focus on keeping these runs EASY

Total: 8km in about 40 mins, pace approx 5:00

January 10 2014: General Aerobic Run

The weather had deteriorated by the time I left work. Miserable cold rain. This was pretty laboured. My legs gave out. Counted 4 runners and 2 dogs out. Pretty low count for a 70 minute loop of suburbia. I should have avoided too, it did nothing for motivation.

Total: 14.6km in 1:10:30, pace 4:47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

January 10 2014: 60 minute Endurance Swim

I want to do a sub60 IM (3.8km) swim in the pool. I've done it OW in a wetsuit and at peak fitness and in race conditions so draft was significant. However the best I could manage in that shape solo in a pool lane was a 62:22. This was not an attempt at it, I'm a million miles from that form, but an hour straight at a similar effort. In other words leaving it all in the pool for the 60 minutes. I fell just shy of 3.4km when the watch buzzed. I had been suffering since the 2k mark and pressed on with sheer stubbornness. Its a long long way short of sub60 form but I'll chip away at it...

What was your pace like throughout? It's a goal of mine too (but I'd say I'm at best 3.2km for the hour at the moment, SC) and pacing this right seems key. Do you set the watch to buzz to help keep track of pace, or use the pool clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Cheers MCOS, you've put the idea of an hour test into my head. My best is just under 3.1km LC but my pacing is brutal, first km fast, second and third at steady pace but slower.

What was your pace like throughout? It's a goal of mine too (but I'd say I'm at best 3.2km for the hour at the moment, SC) and pacing this right seems key. Do you set the watch to buzz to help keep track of pace, or use the pool clock?

Pool Clock. I catch it at about 750, 1450 on turns and spend a lap calculating. It defeats the purpose of having the watch :rolleyes: BUT the steady state swims usually start as a "no plan so just do a 2k straight" and turn into a session :rolleyes: The pace generally stays pretty even though as I start comfortably. I end up working much much harder towards the end but Its the rhythm established that holds the pace pretty steady.

I must start wearing my €400+ watch for the reason I bought it :o

What you could do is set the watch to buzz every 200m (every 100 would drive you mad) at your current best 60 minute pace and you will know then if you are behind or ahead every 200. I guess that's one way to practice pacing :) When you beat your best just set a new pace line on the watch!

The rhythm is the important thing really. I've often swam a straight 1500m without looking at the clock and predicted the time to within 10 or 15 seconds. I can do similar on the turbo or the rowing machine. Especially the rowing machine. Without huge concentration I can hold a rock steady stroke rate and pace for extended periods. We used to do a drill back in the rowing days in an 8 man boat where we would row with our eyes closed. It was a great drill to synchronise a crew as you had to listen and feel for the rhythm. I was generally the stroke of my crews.

There is something sort of mesmerising and satisfying about locking into a rhythm, particularly if its is a sweet zone of effort. I guess this is part of what I enjoy about swimming (call me weird :cool:)

Much easier to do when you are fit enough to do it :cool:

Yep, it's all about the rhythm. ;)

Weekly Summary Notes

Swimming - Good week. Still not back to form, that won't happen for a few weeks yet. Solo sessions and just doing lots of technique. First test of fitness was a 60 minute swim. About 3,395m clocked. It was a full on effort though. Consistent enough stroke rate but building cardiac drift until my shoulders were on fire. 10km week, better :)
    Running - The Hill run was mad but, despite not having the fitness to run to the peak, I loved it. The low point of the week was first swapping the planned Marathon Pace long run to a slower, shorter easy run and then having to bail on it after 90 minutes. I had been out the night before, ate junk food and my stomach was in bits the next day. Terrible run and not happy about it but I wasn't ready for the P&D key run yet. I have to give it a go this week regardless of feeling ready or not. Another 80km without breakdown is good but I need to stay in tune with the body.
    Rowing - Got 2 short sessions done. Its a start :)
    Cycling - Just one midweek turbo. Putting all the teim in the other sessions so the bike will just have to suffer for now. Anything done is a bonus.
    Core - Santy brought me a pull up bar so I do 10 pull ups and 20 press up every morning on the way into the kitchen. Apart form that stretching to keep the calves stiffening up.

All in all not bad. 13 hours which is more like it. This week is all about 1) getting the long run done. 2) Adding a little more rowing and 3) Back to the swim group

January 13 2014: Group Swim

Finally back to the early morning swim gang. Packed. Hid in the mob in the middle lane. The right choice as the fast lane train passed several times on the other side of the lane rope. The main set was "handy"
    4*200m off 3:40
    4*150m off 2:50
    4*100m off 1:50
    I was found out straight away (must wear a different hat) and bumped up to lead. I succeeded with strain until we hit the 100s and I ran out of steam. Dropped back a few bodies and it instantly felt so much more comfortable. I was aerobic again by the next rep.
    Total: 3,200m

January 13 2014: Row 3x2,000m tempo

Ooh short session but it had teeth! 3x 2k pieces at a strong tempo rating 25 strokes per minute. I aimed for 7:30 for each with 2 minute easy and managed
    7:24.8 avg 255 watts
    7:23.4 avg 257 watts
    7:26.0 avg 251 watts
    Yikes. Heart rate climbed and climbed. First rep good, second rep yeouch, last rep teeth gritted. Give it a few weeks and this will be well within me with another rep to boot, but it hurt tonight. Total 9,635m in 35mins including warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I've started using the Finis Tempo Trainer for pacing. It's a great tool. Worth a look

Yesterday was an easy swim & run. Today was a double run day

January 15 2014 Run #1: Medium Long Run

This was a HTFU, get outta bed and get out in the dark and rain to get it done before work kinda run. The hardest part about it was peeling back the warm duvet. Once out the door I plugged in the tunes, felt a beat and got on with it. I felt rather good for the first 10k, best I've felt so far this year in fact. I was running happy. Then came the rain. Torrential. I was absolutely soaked to the bone running alongside a long line of traffic beeping sympathetically at me, or falling asleep at the wheel more like it. At 15k I started to feel it and the calves stiffened up, particularly the usual right suspect. Overall I was pleased to get the first pre work longer run done and at the fastest pace for any run yet this year. No time for stretching so compression socks on for the day.
    Total: 21.28km in 1:39:01, pace 4:39

January 15 2014 Run #2: Hill Run - Cratloe Woods

Beautiful night. Cold, calm and a full moon illuminating the treetops and trail threading its way beneath them. Such a welcome break from the rain. I had planned to take this very handy and the legs were reeling from the morning run. I hooked up with the group and we set off. A couple tore off into the darkness and I did a couple of easy kms with company. It was an undulating, twisting course on packed gravel, hard sandy mud, soft deep swallow your foot mud and fireroad. The Innov8 Mudclaws were at home it the mud. I was running with 2 lads wearing runners and left them behind when we hit soft mud.

I hooked up with a lad from Wicklow moved down to these parts and we sort of chatted when not grinding up one of the short sharp climbs. His pace was fresh and made it hard work for me just to hang on. Overall it was only 300m ish climbing. Its a course I think I'd enjoy in daylight, with better fitness and fresh legs. Its definitely pencilled in as one of the summer IMRA races. My calf really stiffened in the last 2km but it was a short run. Some thought it was too muddy, I loved it. My legs were in need of TLC and a break but I felt invigorated. I cannot ever remember not feeling great after a hill run apart from falling and smashing my knee a few years ago. I'm determined to do it consistently now :)
    Total: 7.71km in 36:21, pace 4:42

January 16 2014: Z2 Turbo

90 minutes spinning. Intended Z1 but long day at work made it feel more laboured. Took concentration to finish. Decided I'm not doing any bike intensity until I have 1,000 base kms done.

• Advertisement

Week 3 of 18 Summary Notes

Swimming - Started the week off well with a couple of swims but missed the last session and didn't get over 4km for one which was an aim. 2 swims a week will not get me through 10km in a lake let alone under 3 hours. The gloves are off...
    Running - Overall I have more kms in the legs in 3 weeks than I had the previous 3 months so I cannot complain. Again started the week well with some good sessions but really annoyed that I missed the long run with marathon pace work. If there was one session in the whole week I wanted to get done it was this. I will not miss another one, the gloves are off...
    Rowing - Good interval session to start the week but the planned long row at the weekend didn't materialise. I missed a beautiful morning to get out on the water which annoyed me no end. I will break new ground on the machine this week and crack an hour straight, the gloves are off...
    Cycling - Got the one turbo in but would love to do some biking. I have to get the A goal out of the way and then I can embrace the road, hills, trails etc...
    Core - Leading an Operation Transformation group in work and have pledged to teach them yoga so I should register something this week:cool:

January 20 2014: Group Swim

Up until 3am watching the 49ers not making the Superbowl :( 3 hours kip and jumped up before the body realised what was happening. I went off 4th in the middle lane with my nemesis leading out. I have targets now.
    1) Move up to nemesis feet - 1:40 pace for set required
    2) Share lead with nemesis - comfortable 1:37-1:40 pace for set required
    3) Lead whole set in middle lane - comfortable 1:35-1:37 pace required
    4) Drop nemesis and everyone in the middle lane - sub 1:33 pace required
    5) Graduate to the fast lane - 1:30 pace for set required

The set
    200m warm up
    14*50m mixed drills
    2*(300m/2*150m/3*100m negative split)
    10*50m hard counting strokes
    600m easy

Total: 3,800m

I felt good with feet to follow but they were little feet and were also tumble turning in front of me. The standard of the middle lane has gone up since I frequented the early swims :eek: My nemesis lead the first half of the main set and as usual the pace was rock steady as she glided up and down the pool. The small feet in front of me belonged to a swimmer and she took the second half driving the pace on by 5 secs per 100m and we were all suddenly breathing hard.

The pace broke up the large gang and I hung onto 4 that got away. I could tell my nemesis was working too as the new little lead was stretching us. At a glance we were swimming at 1:35 pace. With the main set down I got stuck into the hard 50s. I aimed to hold 45 secs and work on distance per stroke. I started at 43 strokes per length and finished at 39 per length holding the pace but it was bloody hard work to do so. Overall a half decent session but I was cooked for a finish.

January 20 2014: Rowing steps short

A session I used to enjoy on the turbo applied to the ergometer.
    3*(2mins at 200w, 220w, 240w, 260w, 180w)
    Total: 30 mins, 7,797m, 226watts, pace 1:55.6/500m

Good workout. The fitness isn't there to hold onto it longer and it won't be if I don't get on the erg frequently and build the volume. The long run is the #1 priority this week but a long row is not far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

January 13 2014: Group Swim

Finally back to the early morning swim gang. Packed. Hid in the mob in the middle lane. The right choice as the fast lane train passed several times on the other side of the lane rope. The main set was "handy"
    4*200m off 3:40
    4*150m off 2:50
    4*100m off 1:50

I tried this 'handy' set a couple of days ago.......I only managed to do 3 reps of each distance off the intervals and was swallowing water during the 100's :pac: Tougher than it looks!!

I skipped the Hill Run tonight as my body is in bits from these frickin' mini challenges! Yes I could tell em' all to sod off but I'm too frickin' stubborn for that

So the weeks training so far looks like :cool:

Session #1
    Courtesy of AKW
    46 sit ups, 48 push ups, 43 tricep dips, 35 sit ups

Session #2
    Courtesy of the Hobbit
    7 minute 39 sec plank

Session #3
    Courtesy of Pgibbo
    10 minute row then 3 minute all out row

Session #4
    Courtesy of Trig1
    54 burpees

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

are you training for events or to be the rescue vehicle for events? impressive workout though

A bit of my own training for a change.. :rolleyes:
    Its late so I'll keep it brief, need to get up for a swim and close in on Kurt

January 21 2014: Aerobic Lunchtime trot with the Hobbit

Hooked up with JB who was in town with work and brought him for a loop of my usual lunchtime route. Great to have company. Easy enough run. We just chatted and the time flew by. Total: 10:09km in 47:35, pace 4:4x

January 21 2014: Short Progression Row

No wasting time, straight home from work and straight onto the erg.
    5mins @ 200w, 210w, 220w, 230w, 240w, 250w
    Good session, quality of quantity
    Total 30 mins at 1:55.0, distance 7,831

January 22 2014: General Aerobic Run

Missed the Medium long run because I didn't wake up. I really have get to sleep earlier. Just had enough time to get 80 minutes which I guess is 2/3rds of the planned run and better than nothing. It was cold, dark and wet. Sick of it now, bring on the spring!
    Total: 16.4km at some sort of easy pace

January 22 2014: Technical Swim

Short technical set with toys and a 1,000m cruise. Group swim again on Friday, might try and move up to step 2 of my comeback and share the lead in the middle lane with my nemesis. Total: 3,200m

January 22 2014: Row 10x500m VO2 Intervals

As per my other training log!

500m @ 1:44.4, 308w
    500m @ 1:44.3, 308w
    500m @ 1:43.8, 317w

Super workout. Felt good and strong throughout. First 5 were solid, 6 and 7 digging in, 8 mentally tough, 9 pain, 10 more pain but good pain.

No pain, no Basin :D Still cracking me up...

January 25 2014: Long Row

Never did more than an hour on the erg back in the day but then the focus then was on 2km not 42.2km. So to consider the session to be long I had to crack that. I set 20,000m on the clock and aimed to hold marathon pace/power for it. 20km seemed like a lot but after the first stroke it became 19xxx and the variety of countdown games began. 200 watts was the target but I wouldn't let it drop below that. The first 10km was good but my heart rate was already over 160. I had to take a few short breaks to drink water and the last 4km was about keeping out of the red zone. Found this tough and I was spent. 42km will be a mental thing.
    Total: 20,000m in 1:19:30, pace 1:59.2/500m, power 207w

January 25 2014: Short easy run

Cooold and Windy out there. Comfortable urban loop. Lots of other hi viz clad runners about. Grand run, felt a little heavy but that was the earlier row. Kept the pace low. Intend to get the long run done this weekend if I have to battle that mad wind tonight.
    Total: 9.28km in 0:48:44, pace 5:15

No long run done. Dropping bags of wood down to shed to find it flooded in 6 inches of water. Run ditched to salvage stuff :mad: Never flooded before but Council have been active and clearly blocked drainage :mad:

January 27 2014: General Aerobic Swim

I had intended a simple 4*750m off 14 minutes. Got through it and the last one pinched. I decided to push to start building fitness. Another 750m and I barely made the 14 minutes. Pace well off. Though about getting out, I was done. But then after a breather decided to push some more. 4*50m flat out. Toasted. Could barely breast strok ethe last length. Good session :D
    Total: 4,000m

January 27 2014: Short Progression Row

The planned session was challenging enough but in the vein of pushing the body today I opted to make it more challenging.
    18 pull ups (to fail), 15 push ups, 5 pull ups (to fail), 15 push ups

Shoulders and arms on fire I sat on the erg for..
    5x2mins @ 210/220/230/240/200w no rest
    5x2mins @ 215/230/245/260/200w no rest
    5x2mins @ 220/240/260/280/200w
    Total: 7,901m in 30 mins, pace 1:53.9/500m, power 237w

Then to hurt some more, 10 pull ups (to fail) & 20 push ups.. ouch! The progressive element of the row gave 2 simple choices. Fold or embrace the pain cave. Even though its a 30 minute session, the 2 minute steps break it down. You convince yourself to just get through the 2 minutes then start another 2. Pretty maxed out at 30 minutes of this craic for now. Really good session :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Had to jump on the rowing machine in the hotel gym this morning as some guy was using the only treadmill for his 14 mile lsr, and it was -16 outside. Not used one in years. New found respect for the numbers you're putting up. Well done

• Advertisement

January 28 2014: Short Aerobic Run

Same loop and same pace as last week but without the hobbit, thus less enjoyable. Still mad at myself for missing another long run and a key one on the programme at that. I've sworn not to play catch up though. The task is big enough without cramming more risky mileage in.
    Total: 10km in about 48mins

January 28 2014: Swim 60min TT

Last test was 3,390m spent. I wanted to see what a few weeks of decent volume has done. I meant to Garmin it but forgot the watch. Pool clock then. Started bang on 7pm so easy to track. The kids had taken over the Arena pool so I had to share a lane with a dozen all sorts. I started a bit too fresh with a sub 25 first 1500m. Partly down to constant surges to overtake. The effort started to pinch soon after. Partly down to pacing and partly fatigue from last night's session.

I found the next 400 really tough and form suffered. Distance per stroke is 3-4 strokes per length off the form I know I can hit. 2-3km was better. I was working fairly hard but not red zone. The lane cleared a little and I got a few lengths of a draft from a pair of fins. 3km came and went in 51 and change and I knew a better score was on. It was ugly swimming for a finish but 3,550m with a few seconds over 8pm was a significant improvement, lapping my last mark. I had nothing left though, I had faded dramatically on the last couple of lengths. Happy to put down an hour at sub3 pace.

3 under 3 progress: best distance at sub3 pace in a session so far
    Swim: 3,550m or 60mins
    Row: 20,000m or 80mins
    Run: 1km or 4mins :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement