Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GODZone...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Haven't trained the last 2 days for various reasons, so instead of writing down another 'nothing' in the diary I did some quick core

18 pull ups
    15 push ups
    8 pull ups
    15 push ups
    4 pull ups
    15 push ups
    30 sit ups
    10 push ups
    100 burpees
    5 push ups
    2 minute plank
    16 point sun salutation holding each pose for 30 secs

No rest. Ouch! DOMS inevitable...

January Done. The Numbers
    • 53.7km swimming
    • 264.4km cycling
    • 295.44km running
    • 84.25km rowing
    • 438 push ups
    • 238 pull ups
    • 57 hours total

January Done. Best Key Session hit.
    • 60 min swim at sub3 pace
    • 80 min row at sub 3 pace
    • 24km medium long run easy

January Done. Most Satisfying/Enjoyable Sessions.:)

Cratloe Woods muddy hill run under a clear moon light
    Nailing the Hobbit's 10*500m challenge on the erg

January Done. Biggest disappointments:(
    • Missing 3 out of 4 key long runs :mad:
    • Not a single yoga session completed
    • The fact the 4 decent weeks has not come close to covering 6 months of nothing.

February General Focus.

Basically I realised that with no base work done the previous months that I had to nail the 4 months of training to achieve the 3 under 3. I missed far too many key sessions and it is now 3 months to that challenge and I am at sea calling MAYDAY! This month is critical. I absolutely have to hit the long runs. No excuses. I'm not sure its even possible to get in the shape I need to be in just 3 months. All I can do is hit the sessions, nail the key ones and hope it starts to click into place by the end of Feb.

February 3x3 Specific Training Benchmarks
    • Running: 29km with 19km at MP
    • Rowing: 30km at MP
    • Swimming: 3650m in 60TT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If anyone can get the J.O.B. done, it's you. 3 months. Buckle down. It's doable. :)

February 03 2014: Swim Session

10x50m easy
    3x(200m/2x100m)
    8x50m mixed
    Total: 3,200m

Missed the group swim and later start at work so did a session that was group set like. I found a rhythm on the warm up and decided to try the main set off 1:45 pace RTs. So 200m off 3:30 and 100m off 1:45. I had to swim hard just to make the times on the first set so I dialled the RTs back to 1:50. It made the difference, the extra few seconds to breathe. Although still a lot slower than I'd like, the form was consistent through the water throughout the main set. I need to get back to the group sessions and build back to the fast lane to swim with faster folk than I.

February 03 2014: Progressive Tempo Row

The plan was to start at 200 watts and build by 10w every 5 minutes. I felt good to start and was holding 220w comfortably. I just went with it, knowing the pain would come, but interested to see how the body would cope with the new goalposts. So...
    5min @ 220w
    5min @ 230w
    5min @ 240w
    5min @ 250w
    5min @ 260w
    5min @ 270w
    The effort began to bite at 240w and by the time I pushed on to 250w I was working hard. I knew 250w was about the power needed to hit 8,000m for a half hour. At 260w I passed 6,000m in 22:40 which meant doing the last 2k in sub 7:20 or 1:49/500m. At 25mins I pushed on to 270w and I was well into the pain cave by now. Rating 23-24 strokes per minute I just pushed and pushed until I hit the 250w average, 8,000m with seconds to spare. I was wasted. Really tough session :cool:
    Total: 8,045m in 30 mins. Average 250w, pace 1:51.8/500m

February 04 2014: Swim 400s

8x50m drills
    7x400m off 7:30
    10x50m kick with fins
    Total: 3,700m

The 400s were solid enough. In on 6:58 to 7:07. Still just trying to find form. Its the only real swim focus. Building general fitness and finding the stroke that will carry me comfortably for the bulk of 10k.

February 04 2014: General Aerobic Run

Almost didn't go out in that wild weather but shot out the door before the weak ass gremlin won over. I wore the sketchers which would force me to sty on my mid foot. I ran 7 laps of the block hopping over puddles and fallen branches. It was very windy and some gusts almost stopped me in my tracks. It rained too, one particularly thunderous one stinging my face. Gnarly run but glad I didn't back out of it.
    Total: 14.58km in 1:07:49, pace 4:39

February 05 2014: Medium Base Row

Weather was cat so swapped a run for a row. The run WILL get done tomorrow. Simple hour straight at <155hr listening to tunes. Best effort for this session was 176w average. Managed 183w this time which is an improvement. Steady 19-20spm but not so steady heart rate. Cardiac drift right to the finish. 3hours at this pace would just hit the marathon distance but I've no intention of cutting so fine. The benchmark for Feb is 30k at this pace and if I hit that I'm on track. Lots of kms to log over the next 3 weeks before I attempt it. Good session.
    Total: 60mins 14,489m, pace 2:04.2/500m, avg 183w

• Advertisement

February 6 2014: General Aerobic Off Road Run

Headed out to UL Activity Centre to meet mossym. I was very early so I planned to test out new shoes, Solomon Speedcross SS 3. My first and only pair of trail shoes are Innov8 Mudclaws which are great but more suited to softer terrain and mud and not long endurance events. I got the Speedcross with a view to using them in the Beast of Ballyhoura later this year. Lovely light comfy shoe with tidy pull lace that tucks into a pocket on the tongue. I ran a small loop consisting of grass, trail and tarmac. It was dark so the head torch lit the way. On the first lap I ran up a short steep bank and back down the other side only to find Lough Derg had encroached 20m up the bank. I nearly ended up in the lake! Overall the shoes felt good but will need breaking in. 7 laps tested the quads before mossym arrived.
    Total: 13.32km at 5:11 pace

February 6 2014: MTB Hill Climb

Got the MTBs out and lit up and followed mossym's lead up a winding fire road. I spent the first minute admiring his Rockhopper. I hadn't cycled off road or indeed up a hill since 2012 and quickly found my quads giving out. I also felt the added kilos since I last properly bike trained. We spun a steady grind an chatted under a crisp clear moonlight. At the top looking over the lake we paused for a breath, took in a portion of the other side of the hill before descending. I felt cagey descending. It was dark, I didn't know the turns and the bike accelerated quickly. Some rocky bits jarred the body because I wasn't confident to stay loose. Just very unfit and rusty. Bike handling will come back with practice. Overall though really enjoyed the spin and good company. Will do again
    Total: Approx 13km in 53mins

February 7 2014: Easy Swim

Skipped across town on a lunchtime window for a short easy swim. Nothing fancy just swam up and down concentrating solely on distance per stroke. Still taking 40 strokes per length so efficiency has a way to go.
    Total: 2,200m

February 7 2014: Easy Run

I went over on my ankle again. Happens quite often, my right ankle is prone to it but I usually catch it and land softly enough. This time I was stepping off a curb and went right over. Iced it but sore and bruised the next day. Nothing done for the weekend since. Another long run missed :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ouch, go easy on that ankle. The Speedcross are a great shoe, ironically hill/trail running will strengthen your ankles like nothing else (but late for hearing that now though!)

You're going great on the swim side of things; 3,550m in an hour is a great place to be for a sub-3 10k. Have you considered switching the focus around, ie. aim for a May/June 10k swim, and maybe run an autumn marathon?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Have you considered switching the focus around, ie. aim for a May/June 10k swim, and maybe run an autumn marathon?
    I haven't entered GLR yet. Not too confident but not throwing in the towel yet. The sub 3 will happen this year. DCM is plan B for it. The swim is going ahead regardless as I've booked flights and accommodation.

February 10 2014: Medium strength endurance row

An hour straight maintaining 20spm and a challenging pace for the duration. Had Socchi speed skating to distract me. Found 25-35 minutes a struggle but once through it could start counting down. I wanted to stop at 55mins but switched onto sadistic mode instead winding it up to empty the tank in an all out final 60secs. Overall average 219w, last 5min was 250w, last 60sec 400w+. Wrecked.
    Total: 60mins, 15,407m. Pace 1:56.8/500m

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

does the ankle affect your rowing?

• Advertisement

I gotta say, the idea of distance swimming is infectious. I watched a program last night on the great walker and cartographer Alfred Wainwright, and the germ of swimming Lake Windermere got planted. There's a 10 mile traverse of the lake in the summer, pricey though, and you have to provide your own kayaker. Might consider the Lough Dan 10k in August, nice and local and bucket-listy.

mossym wrote: »
    does the ankle affect your rowing?
    not so much no. Affects the swim kick. Swim planned tomorrow which will be done with pull buoy.

not so much no. Affects the swim kick. Swim planned tomorrow which will be done with pull buoy.

good luck, the pull buoy got me over the hamstring injury as well.

February 11 2014: Technical Swim

75 minutes of drills all done with pull buoy. Shoulders decked. I badly wanted to kick and swim as straight piece but resisted. Form is foremost, fitness will come. Ankle did feel better but the ankle test was the run today

February 11 2014: Easy run with hard finish

Brrr cold out there. Hail and snow showers but none of it sticking :( Grand easy 8km around town with a colleague chatting as we do. He has been running even less than I so the pace barely dipped under 5:30. Parted ways to do another km at 4:30 and a final km at 3:38 pace panting. Ankle tested and happy days.

Ankle tested and happy days.

Good stuff. guess the long runs will be getting hit hard now

mossym wrote: »
    Good stuff. guess the long runs will be getting hit hard now

Donadea is this weekend. Just sayin'.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Mike are you doing Donadea as a long run? Let me know if so as i am heading down.

Ankle OK but no training done. Donadea? I wish I was fit enough to do it. Enjoy JB good to see you are back at it.

February 15 2014: Long Row: half marathon benchmark

This was as mentally taxing as it was physical. Its the longest I've ever been on the erg. I broke it into 4x5km segments and a bit extra. The first 2 were ok but I was feeling it. The 3rd was a mental struggle and the 4th was a physical struggle. I simply focused on maintaining about 200w. For a sub3 run attempt you need to be in circa 85 minute half marathon shape. So, I had 85 minutes in mind for this.

At the hour mark I had blisters on my right hand and my lower back felt tight. It was a case of ignoring everything and just keep the flywheel spinning. Overall I was happy to hit the mark although it was tough to do so. My hands, legs and back felt it. I felt better after it though than I know I will after the long run tomorrow. Rowing is tough but its non impact and that makes a difference. I found that beyond this point I will need more than water. Short easy run planned for this evening.
    Total: 21,097m in 1:24:22 :), avg 203w, pace 1:59.9/500m

February 17 2014: Medium long run at silly o clock

Woke up bright as a bell at 4am. Tried for a few minutes to fall back to sleep but was still wide awake. Feic it I thought, get the run done. Gear, cap and tunes on and out the door for 0430. I put a bottle of water and a banana zipvit gel at the gate. It was a short 2km lap of the block so I'd be passing the gate often with an easy out if I needed. A light rain fell but there was little wind. You could call it wet and windy but nothing on recent weather.

The first 3 laps passed on silent Paths under street lights before my body woke up and protested. I was soaked but the rain stopped for the next 3 laps. I was putting down the higher end aerobic pace, possibly close to current marathon effort. I was starting to feel it approaching the hour and stopped to down the gel. It was cold and almost chewy but tasty too. The remaining laps became increasingly hard work and the rain started again. I finished with a sore flute and spent 40 mins on the mat stretching. Done and dusted for 7am. Faded in work naturally :)
    Total: 22.88km in 1:41:39, pace 4:27 ( way too fast for current fitness)

• Advertisement

Banana zipvit....hmm. I am actually digging the Chcocolate, the Vanilla, and the Mocha Clif energy gels at the moment. Some serious yum factor going on there. In fact, if I was younger and lived on my own, I'd probably try and subsist off of them! :eek::o;)

and out the door for 0430

Total: 22.88km in 1:41:39, pace 4:27 ( way too fast for current fitness)

Love this log! Crazy stuff Mike, but thats the sort of run you'll never forget!

February 17 2014: Short progression row

Energy fading fast so a quick session on the erg. Simple session, started at 205w and stepped up 5w every 5 mins. Not too taxing but still sweaty. First 20mins ok but struggled for the last 10 mins. Weighed in at 81.2kg :(
    Total: 30mins 7,651m, pace 1:57.5/500m

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Banana zipvit....hmm. I am actually digging the Chcocolate, the Vanilla, and the Mocha Clif energy gels at the moment. Some serious yum factor going on there. In fact, if I was younger and lived on my own, I'd probably try and subsist off of them! :eek::o;)
    Lent coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm going for broke to shed the kilos and tone up. The scrummy banana gels will be my only treat and only on long sessions where I need them. I'd have subsisted in my youth too :eek::o;)

Lent coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm going for broke to shed the kilos and tone up. The scrummy banana gels will be my only treat and only on long sessions where I need them. I'd have subsisted in my youth too :eek::o;)

I've given up chocolate and sugary sweets again...so that's probably one reason I am digging the chocolate and mocha gels. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Animal erg session for the half marathon Mike. Fair play. Don't want to jinx you but great to see the consistency coming in your training

Nothing done this week for various reasons. Weigh in at 82kg :(

3 under 3 is still on but not compressing all into May as originally planned. That was stipulated on hitting the 18 week programme I laid out to minimum 95%. I'm currently on less than 50% of the plan hi.

The Swim will go ahead. I need to hit the pool big time to get fit for the 10km swim in London. Flights and Accom booked so I'm committed. 2 weeks focused lap swimming then a week in Lanzarote with some OW swimming to bring the fitness up quickly :)

The row will happen. Showdown with my Bro at the Irish Indoor Champs later this year over 500m and 2,000m. The base to get this sub3 marathon might be the difference. He is on a diet of 10x500s and 5,000m hard workouts. It will be interesting, my base + sweet spot + pain vs his pain + pain + pain programme!

The run is something I want to ensure I'm in good shape to hit. I have no intention of another blow up marathon so Dublin may be the wiser choice than trying to ramp the mileage up hard over the next month. You cannot cram for a marathon. I said I'd give it to the end of Feb to decide and I will, but a single run this week and no long runs in the bag will likely see sense prevail.

Pushing the run to Dublin means I could tip away getting a run base slowly back in order while I get the swim and row done. I could also get back on the bike and hit the hills to train for the Beast. As long as I have a few long runs in the bag before the Beast, I'll have plenty of time afterwards to build on those and polish the approach for DCM.

Swim
    2,000m easy. Lots of traffic to get to the Arena and lots of traffic in the lane. Had a set in mind but impossible. Abandoned early. No training for nigh on a week so the energy was there. Stroke felt alien :rolleyes:

Row
    2,000m x2 with 2min easy. After a short warm up I horsed into it with Paul Oakenfold for company. Aimed for sub 7:30 or 250w. Felt reasonably good but was burning diesal fast. Through rep 1 in 7:24.3, 255w knocking on the door of 170hr, aka red zone. Recovered OK but was into that same red zone within 2 minutes of rep 2. Finished it in 7:22.3, 259w and 180hr. There was no chance of a 3rd rep. Hit target for 2 and that was enough. Session done in under half hour :)

Swim
    Another short one. A simple 2,000m planned to let off steam from a blood sucking frustrating day at the office. Two public lanes available as the rest had little dolphins gliding up and down happily with a deck side drill seargent barking splits at them. My jaw dropped when I heard the splits for these fresh faced teens, they simply shrugged, flipped onto their backs and seemed to be up the opposite end of the lane in seconds and without a splash. The first public lane was the crazy lane. I had no plan for my short swim but 40 lengths of this madness would have added metres to the total and grey hairs to my head...

The other lane contained a long line of triathletes in the throws of a set. I recognised huff n puff (going off 3rd behind 2 sharks :eek:) and realised it was Nenagh Tri. I jumped on the tail for a bunch of 50s and 100s. It felt pacey and folk werre falling off the back but was over soon. I recognised enough faces to know how far back I've slipped :o. I did a bit more steady solo to clock the 2k. I'm going back to the morning club swim on Friday. Its the best and easiest way to get fit IMO

6 days to lent. I feel like I'm signing up for rehab!

• Advertisement

I'm going back to the morning club swim on Friday. Its the best and easiest way to get fit IMO

Without a doubt- swimming with faster fish ups your game, no end. Doubly so for a competitive chap like yourself; its always great fun reading this log after you've done a session with the sharks.

Did you try that tumble turn technique? It works very well for me, but I'm wary of recommending it too much- the silence is deafening from some quarters!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement