Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business lease (or lack of) question

Options
  • 06-08-2013 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Basically my situation is that I've rented a shop in Dublin city for 9 years but I've never had a lease. About 3 months ago the guy working for me had some personal issues and the shop was closed for a few weeks while I found someone else. I decided to take the opportunity to renovate the shop and buy a sunbed and build a room and entrance corridor for it. The day before I was about to open up again a fire place in the landlords business, which backs onto mine, set my shop on fire. There wasn't loads of damage to my shop but then I was told by the landlord that the building had been condemned by an architect and they weren't going to fix it up "because it would open a can of worms" with their own building (which stayed open the whole time).

I took this on the chin, didn't ask for compensation because it wasn't intentional and **** just happens some times. It was a massive kick in the balls because I had a load of stock I had no way of selling and I'd put a lot of money into the shop itself.

Last night I happened to be passing and I noticed that my shop was open as part of the landlords business, there was no work done to it structurally and the landlord has instead decided to expand his business into the space where my shop was. I have serious doubts that the building was ever condemned and I'd say instead that the landlord decided that it would be worth more to them as an extension to their business so lied to me to get rid of me.

I suppose my question is how can I find out about the building being condemned? I've been there for 9 years but never had a lease, I think even with a lease the law changed a few years ago where being in a place for more than 5 years gave you rights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Building are only condemned or deemed "officially" unsafe by the Dangerous Buildings section of the local authority, you could check with them. On the face of it, it would appear that you have been wilfully deceived by the landlord but you need proper legal advice as to any remedies/rights to which you may be entitled and as to how they may be pursued.

Advertisement