Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education allowance Repeating Year

Options
  • 06-08-2013 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I failed second year in my course and took a year off it while on jobseekers allowance.

I was unsure whether I would return or not but wrote to the college the other day and they said I may return this year to repeat the year if I wish.

I am wondering if I will be eligible for back to education? I am sure I meet the eligibility for how long I am on JA but if I am repeating the year does that mean they might not give me BTEA? They do not pay the fees so surely repeating shouldnt matter as I am better off in college on BTEA than on JA doing nothing.

I understand that I am leaving it late but I have only decided lately that I really want to get my degree completed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

as far as I am aware you can be payed to repeat but they will not pay your fees to repeat : from student finance:

If I have to repeat a year of an approved course and was in receipt of the BTEA, will I continue to receive payment during the repeat year?
    Yes, as long as you are registered as full-time on the repeat year and are repeating the year of the course in full (all modules). A person will only be allowed to repeat one academic year of their course on the basis of exam failure. Do remember however that the student must pay tuition fees to repeat a year. The BTEA cannot assist with this charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

I was not on BTEA while I was in college. I failed two years ago while I was working and getting help from parents but since then I am not living at home and I am currently on JA and I want to go back and repeat the year.

Do this make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 break for the border

What payment am I entitled to if I have to repeat 1 modules externally and one internally as I failed two in third year last year?? I am 26 and was receiving BTEA the last 3 years and fee maintenance grant. can anyone help please??

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What payment am I entitled to if I have to repeat 1 modules externally and one internally as I failed two in third year last year?? I am 26 and was receiving BTEA the last 3 years and fee maintenance grant. can anyone help please??

Contact DSP Back to Education Section

Department of Social Protection
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Leitrim
    Ireland

Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999
    Homepage: http://www.welfare.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement