Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a haircut over here?

Options
  • 06-08-2013 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

So I've been living in San Clemente, California for the last month. Decided to get a haircut on Friday gone and was easily the worst haircut of my life. I usually go for a kind of a low cut in Ireland but decided to play it safe on Friday and asked for a 3 sides and back and trim/scissors on top. Anyway I came out looking like a marine or someone from the film Angela's ashes.

So can anyone offer advice on how to order haircuts? Is the number system we use the same as over there? They also said something about having three options with the razor. A square, round and not sure of the other one as I was quiet flustered. Can anyone fill me in about these?

Any advice welcome!☺

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Hey guys, sorry to bump the thread but hoping someone might be able to give some tips when ordering a haircut? I'll be getting it cut on Friday. Thanks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Bring a picture maybe? Or mention a celebrity, like "Give me the balotelli look please".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I've found there are a few different types of barbers etc here in SF

1. The ones that cater to the latino/african community - usually go for fades etc
    2. The ones that cater primarily to the white community - just short and too the point
    3. The ones that cater primarily to the hipster community - charge 3x the price of a normal barber, but you get a beer while they cut.

They have all different terms here like "fades" etc, which are primarily used in the latino or african community. You're probably like me, just like short manageable (ie you have to do little or nothing) hair.

I would try and find a barber in the old italian or jordanian style. They know how to cut european hair and will follow directions. I made the mistake of going to a latino barber before, and ended up shaving my hair off cos i hated the idea of the "fade". My barber is an italian hipster/old school, it's a father and son shop. The father works monday/tuesday, the son wednesday -> Saturday. - both are good guys, will do what you ask them to, and you can either shoot the breeze or they cut in silence. Also, them being Italian, you get a good shot of espresso and a liquer if you wanted when the father works, a beer (or wine) when the son cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Thanks Iusedtoknow. Do you know if they use the number system like we do or am I wasting my time mentioning that. Do most Americans go in and just get a standard haircut or similar to when we ask for a trim back home?

The safest option sounds like just to ask for a trim.

I'm gonna be here for the next 9 months as to why I'm trying to figure this all out. Also got my brothers wedding coming up and it's looking like I'll have to get the haircut here before going back to Ireland.

Thanks again!

Advertisement