Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great southern rail... Cycling/trekking

• 06-08-2013 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    Cycled the trail yesterday from rathkeale through to ardagh and into Newcastle west.
    It really is a fantastic facility.
    I had the kids on tow so any further would have been a stretch.
    Has anyone been on other sections??... If so what are they like??
    I'd like to try the Newcastle west to abbeyfeale section.

The only downside is getting the bikes through the turnstiles. (I have the kids on the bike do it's that bit trickier)... It kinda interrupts the ride a bit but if your not carrying anyone it wouldn't be a big issue.
    Don't think it would be possible with bike trailer and kids tho unless they change the gates.
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

We live just off the NCW to Abbeyfeale section - love it for dog walks and scenery and no cars zooming past! We have a small plant Nursery in Meenoline North - pop in for tea and plants if you're passing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

It is indeed a great facility, very underrated!

I think the section past NCW heading towards Barnagh hill is a little tougher than the rest of the trail as it's a long gradient up the hill. Grand for walking but you'll feel it if you're an unfit cyclist like me :pac:

There's a nice spot past Templeglantine where the trail goes through a wooded area on the side of a hill, good place to sit down for a break.

The newest section from Abbeyfeale to the Kerry border is the best surface as it's recently laid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thanks for info re the wooded area..
    How far past abbeyfeale does it go.

It really is a fantastic facility....we have been holidaying in France last couple of years and its the cycling paths(like this one) that has us back each year.
    It's great to find gems like this so closely,but I think it is underrated/unknown to its own detriment possibly.
    More people could benefit from this with a little more signage/higher profile.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Thanks for info re the wooded area..
    How far past abbeyfeale does it go.

Short section just 3km, but they plan to extend into Kerry down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have walked the templeglantine section numerous times and even when there used to be tracks there - its really scenic and peaceful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Hi there
    Cycled the trail yesterday from rathkeale through to ardagh and into Newcastle west.
    It really is a fantastic facility.
    I had the kids on tow so any further would have been a stretch.
    Has anyone been on other sections??... If so what are they like??
    I'd like to try the Newcastle west to abbeyfeale section.

The only downside is getting the bikes through the turnstiles. (I have the kids on the bike do it's that bit trickier)... It kinda interrupts the ride a bit but if your not carrying anyone it wouldn't be a big issue.
    Don't think it would be possible with bike trailer and kids tho unless they change the gates.
    Marty.

The Great Southern Trail is a great facility, but the section around NCW is a bit of a pain because there are so many gates/turnstiles. It's not just at road crossings either, many of them just seem to be there to allow cows to cross from one field to another. I think it really lets an otherwise excellent facility down quite badly.

The sections either side of NCW are far better IMO.

Advertisement