Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two children strangled by escaped python

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Horrid way to go, and as others have said... does seem fishy - one can't rule out possible homicide and using the snake as a scapegoat.
    i hope snake has a good lawyer

Ain't that what lawyers are, snakes? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Something real strange occurred. I can understand the snake possibly escaping, and I assume a 'pipe' of pure muscle could climb up a ventaliation shaft (but why enter it, would it not stay near heat?), and maybe, a weak ceiling and a very heavy creature. But not waking by a fallen snake crashing down the ceiling? It says the wee boys were sleeping beside each other, so could have been crushed together. I dont understand how they never woke, if that even was the case of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Two children strangled by escaped python

Horrific, particularly after what I've seen in the past fortnight. Just two weeks ago I was on a boat with others and we were approached by three smiling children, each in a separate coracle. They looked cute at first but as they got nearer I and everybody else next to me pulled back in shock and fear: each of the children had a very large python snake around their necks. The kids, the eldest of whom was about 10, addressed us all in English "one dollar", "one dollar". To think parents send their children out to "work" with a python over their tiny shoulders so Westerners can pay them for photos is a type of depravity we don't see too much of in Ireland, despite all our moaning about things at home.

Why are people allowed to keep these "pet" pythons and "pet" Rottweilers - never mind sell them, as is the case here, and rabbit on about how "nice" these animals "really" are when a child gets her/his face bitten or, in this case, when two children get strangled?

Nice ignorant post you got yourself there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

SamHall wrote: »
    The snake had to have been extremely hungry and not too secured in its tank to have been determined enough to bother.

A snake, when properly cared for/housed properly and fed aptly will generally be docile enough and content enough to bother looking for food.

More than likely human error was at play here.

Poor kids though. R.I.P

Exactly that snake must have been starving but my heart goes out to the kids a terrible way to die. Hopefully they didnt suffer too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Isn't it about time the there are global classifications of what are deemed wild & domesticated/tame animals.....allowing only zoo's to house the wild ones.....

Read somewhere that there are more 'Pet' tigers in California than found in the wild in India..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

SamHall wrote: »
    The snake had to have been extremely hungry and not too secured in its tank to have been determined enough to bother.
    A snake, when properly cared for/housed properly and fed aptly will generally be docile enough and content enough to bother looking for food.
    More than likely human error was at play here.
    Poor kids though. R.I.P
    Tanks left open means a snake will roam at some stage eventually and being fed has nothing to do with it. Snakes are not like Dogs at all some will try bite no matter how gentle you or how much you feed them venomous and non venomous alike its just how snakes some are. I have kept what you might consider docile Rattlesnakes (never shown any signs of defense) and then some really defensive Carpet Pythons Kingsnakes and Cornsnakes even and anyone saying Pythons being dangerous is ignorant as they are not all man eating sized Snakes who kill people on site. I have experience with most Reptiles available in the pet trade and keep my fair share too, I have kept several species of Vipers from too 2 species of Rattlesnakes included so trust me I know snakes this was simply down to human error and ultimately the poor kids paid the price sadly, its not the first time its happened either and I reckon it wont be the last sadly. For what I have heard this place was reported several times too to SPCA's etc for lack of care etc too.
    Also whats wrong with Rottweilers, Pomeranians have killed too should we stop keeping and breeding them too, again people are at fault there.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

What a nightmare..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

anncoates wrote: »
    Maybe the snake killed them but was unable to eat them because of their size?

Also would one child have woken up while the other was getting killed though?

Snakes of that size (if the size is real and not a daily mail measurement) can eat meal much larger than a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sephichan

The update on this story:
    RCMP say snake was never in pet store, the tank was in the apartment, and the snake was in the tank when they came into the home.

I honestly feel the snake is a scapegoat in this situation, there are too many unanswered questions.

If the snake was killing for food, why would it kill both?
    A snake definitely couldn't kill both at the same time, at least not quickly and efficiently that neither made a sound, so why is it no one heard anything?
    Why would a parents first thought be to unwrap the snake and put it back in it's cage after finding it wrapped around your kids?

The whole thing sounds ridiculously sketchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Tanks left open means a snake will roam at some stage eventually and being fed has nothing to do with it. Snakes are not like Dogs at all some will try bite no matter how gentle you or how much you feed them venomous and non venomous alike its just how snakes some are. I have kept what you might consider docile Rattlesnakes (never shown any signs of defense) and then some really defensive Carpet Pythons Kingsnakes and Cornsnakes even and anyone saying Pythons being dangerous is ignorant as they are not all man eating sized Snakes who kill people on site. I have experience with most Reptiles available in the pet trade and keep my fair share too, I have kept several species of Vipers from too 2 species of Rattlesnakes included so trust me I know snakes this was simply down to human error and ultimately the poor kids paid the price sadly, its not the first time its happened either and I reckon it wont be the last sadly. For what I have heard this place was reported several times too to SPCA's etc for lack of care etc too.
    Also whats wrong with Rottweilers, Pomeranians have killed too should we stop keeping and breeding them too, again people are at fault there.

Hey ReptileDan, not being funny, what is the appeal of owning snakes for you?

Personally I can't understand why anyone would want one as a pet. They terrify me :o But I'd love to know from someone who keeps them what the draw is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

ivytwine wrote: »
    Hey ReptileDan, not being funny, what is the appeal of owning snakes for you?
    Personally I can't understand why anyone would want one as a pet. They terrify me :o But I'd love to know from someone who keeps them what the draw is...
    Same reason anyone else likes the things they do they just like them really I suppose, sometimes it might be the different colour morphs that get people interested in them other time people grow up with them and its a family thing like people who have farms or show casing dogs. I keep some big Alligator Snapping Turtles a Fiji Iguana, a Leopard Gecko, a Chinese Softshell Turtle, Fire Belly Toads too, and some Siamese Fighting fish too, Reptile keeping for me is not all about keeping venomous and even wanting to for me I would be the first to admit we need guidelines, protocols and licences in place for not only keeping but for in the case of possible invenomation and the risks are there theres no denying that when keeping animals like these.

Why is it they terrify you ?
    Is it how they move, what they eat, the fact that some species get 20ft plus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Same reason anyone else likes the things they do they just like them really I suppose, sometimes it might be the different colour morphs that get people interested in them other time people grow up with them and its a family thing like people who have farms or show casing dogs. I keep some big Alligator Snapping Turtles a Fiji Iguana, a Leopard Gecko, a Chinese Softshell Turtle, Fire Belly Toads too, and some Siamese Fighting fish too, Reptile keeping for me is not all about keeping venomous and even wanting to for me I would be the first to admit we need guidelines, protocols and licences in place for not only keeping but for in the case of possible invenomation and the risks are there theres no denying that when keeping animals like these.

Why is it they terrify you ?
    Is it how they move, what they eat, the fact that some species get 20ft plus ?

Thanks for replying :) The patterns are pretty I must say. I wouldn't have any issue with any of the other animals you mention, in fact I rather like lizards and turtles :)

For me it's a really primal fear, I can't really explain it. I have had very little contact with snakes (and I've kept it that way). I once had one around my neck on holiday and I was surprised at how it wasn't slimy and cold!

I think it's probably the things you mentioned, but I don't know, there must be more to it. Little snakes freak me out as well but I saw an anaconda in the zoo and I had to go to the other side of the reptile house, I felt so scared and disgusted :confused:

Maybe it's the fact that they're so different from mammals and even other reptiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

ivytwine wrote: »
    Maybe it's the fact that they're so different from mammals and even other reptiles?

There is a school of thought that we are reincarnated, it starts with insects and progressively it moves up the scale until we are born as humans. The somewhat irrational fear we have for many predators may be due to a subconscious memory from being eaten by, spiders, birds of prey, snakes and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Can't remember if it was a wibbs post or another forum that Rottweiler's are naturally very friendly playful dogs but they look fierce and are usually trained to match their look.
    Rottweilers aren't really used for training to specific tasks. You wouldn't see the police or army using them as their prefered dog. They use Belgian Malinois or alsatians. Rottweilers like many big dogs aren't all that aggressive, they seem to have a confidence due to their size that means they aren't as afraid of people. Small dogs like terriers were bred specifically to be fearless and aggressive rodent killers. They're much more dangerous dogs.
    Sephichan wrote: »
    A snake definitely couldn't kill both at the same time, at least not quickly and efficiently that neither made a sound,
    That's how snakes kill. Once they grab you and coil around you can't make a sound as you can't even get air in your lungs to scream. They are very fast and very silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Red Nissan wrote: »
    There is a school of thought that we are reincarnated, it starts with insects and progressively it moves up the scale until we are born as humans. The somewhat irrational fear we have for many predators may be due to a subconscious memory from being eaten by, spiders, birds of prey, snakes and so on.

Think I've had my share of Boards for today.

Advertisement