Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDC Sydney Master to be televised

• 06-08-2013 11:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

According to tweets from Tommy Cox and Barry Hearn this will be shown live on Eurosport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Oh Jaysus, more fantastic commentary like Dubai, and the first half hour or so not shown. Its a good job Eurosport is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

wilddarts wrote: »
    Oh Jaysus, more fantastic commentary like Dubai, and the first half hour or so not shown. Its a good job Eurosport is free.

Its better than nothing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

buster180 wrote: »
    Its better than nothing...

true, its a glorified exbo, no one is being forced to watch it, but fair play to barry hearn who is still getting comp after comp on TV in these hard times.

Wonder if the bdo will get a comp on tv before the year is out, masters seems to have lost its tv spot

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm just worried that darts will reach a saturation point with so many tournaments being shown on TV, particularly glorified exhibitions like this one.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'm just worried that darts will reach a saturation point with so many tournaments being shown on TV, particularly glorified exhibitions like this one.

As someone who has been watching darts for decades you must remember darts in the 80s was as popular on tv back then.

In the 80s when there was few channels darts was shown a lot on bbc, itv etc.
    The financial records of the pdc show their profits are rising each year, viewers are up in general.

The bdo on the other hand is dying a slow death and is nothing more that a 2 bit org that laughingly refers to its world championships as the "worlds professional" yet what professionals are in it ?
    Other than one norwegian and an irish man every player came from the UK and Benelux.

Darts is mainstream, and believe it or not the second most watched thing on sky sports after the soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Darts is mainstream, and believe it or not the second most watched thing on sky sports after the soccer.

That doesn't surprise me at all but as a huge darts fan even I have no interest in watching this tournament or others such as the Dubai one a few months back. This tournaments are exhibitions that don't feature towards the Order of Merit and really provide very little entertainment as even the players are only in it for a pay day.

If they want more darts on TV then they should scrap rubbish like this and introduce another proper darts tournament where everyone has a chance to qualify and it counts towards the OOM.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me at all but as a huge darts fan even I have no interest in watching this tournament or others such as the Dubai one a few months back. This tournaments are exhibitions that don't feature towards the Order of Merit and really provide very little entertainment as even the players are only in it for a pay day.

If they want more darts on TV then they should scrap rubbish like this and introduce another proper darts tournament where everyone has a chance to qualify and it counts towards the OOM.

Hard to argue with that, but I can understand the need for these exbo show pieces to promote the game.

We are spoiled with the majors televised along with the PL which in my opinion is not a major nor is the CLod for that matter regardless of how its portrayed.

We have the double in and double out in the GP, the cross code touch in the GSoD, the UK Open open draw, The superb World Champs and while the matchplay is a class event it seems its another basic leg play event.

I think the euro champs which was another fine tournament could do with a change in format.Not enough set play comps, and while the CLoD is only a net based comp I thoroughly enjoy it, it is different, its day time darts and you have the choice of matches to view albeit you may pick the wrong one at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

When is this on?

Gotya wrote: »
    When is this on?

29th # 31st august.

Full calender for the pdc here
    http://www.pdc.tv/tournament-calendar13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Better than nowt alright, but agree with Kingp that more proper tournaments are needed on TV than this sort of thing. The time difference wont help draw in the viewers either

I'd also favour reducing the PL size and fitting in more tournaments. Its bloated, goes on for ages and by the time it reaches the finals I usually couldnt care less. But for the predictions competition on here this year I'd have watched a lot less of it

• Advertisement

I see the PL as nothing but a glorified exbo but its essential to the survival of the PDC.

You must remember the standard floor comp which now carries a 10k first prize on those double header weekends pays out more than it takes in and the money comes from what is generated by the pl.

Add in the fact it is weekly darts and with the new format is more exciting with the relegation aspect now.
    While Sky wont be showing the UK Open any more it is more than likely ITV will show it, was stories floating about of them showing new comps.
    Far as I know its going to be on ITV along with the european championships and a new British Master ( not 100% sure on the name)

Hopefully that will shake things up and also hope its set play

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

I agree it's better than nothing for those who want to watch it. I'd just prefer if it got proper coverage by whatever TV channel broadcasts it.

As Justin Credible Darts has posted, these World Series events and the Premier League are necessary for the PDC to allow the majority of Tour Card holders to be Professional or Semi Professional.

But just because it's a show piece doesn't mean it shouldn't get decent coverage and commentary from people who understand the game.

Advertisement