Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do while being tattooed?

Options
  • 06-08-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm just starting a 3 hour session at the moment and am entertaining myself on boards for a while, so I was just wondering what do other people do during big sessions? Bring a book, squeeze someone's hand?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I'm just starting a 3 hour session at the moment and am entertaining myself on boards for a while, so I was just wondering what do other people do during big sessions? Bring a book, squeeze someone's hand?

I fell asleep getting my leg done about 5 years ago. For some reason I actually don't feel too much pain on my legs, around ankle and knee are tender but the rest was grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Usually just use my phone to browse the net... Close my eyes and relax if I'm lying down sometimes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Try to not wince, that way I look really tough.:cool:

Seriously though its been years since I got one and I had a three hour session where I just stared at the wall or chatted with the fella doing the tattoo. I'd imagine now the phone would come in handy for keeping entertained with games, new apps and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm getting my second session of my thigh tattoo done and am seriously trying not to fall asleep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Usually just fart about on my phone, if it's a larger piece I'll make myself as comfy as possible and just relax. I love actually watching the tattoo being done when I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Usually just fart

You should of finished your sentence there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Kindle's are the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I usually bring some tea and a cake which is great for the first bit. Then I just browse the Internet on my phone

Yap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Marsden wrote: »
    You should of finished your sentence there.:D

Ah now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

I just sit and talk. I've had most of mine done by the same tattooer, usually lasting an hour, two max. The longest I had done was five hours which was meant to be three by an artist I didn't know and she wasn't a bit friendly, wish I'd brought a book or something along for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I always bring a book. I don't usually get much time to read so it's great to have five hours with nothing else to do. It's also a great distraction.

Although turning the pages can be tricky when you're getting your arm tattooed!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

I either chat away to the lad tattooing me or else just watch the magic (where possible) or text ma peeps. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

If I can I love to watch it being done depending on the were it's being done and chat to the artist but that depends on the artist aswell.

Other than that like others mess about on my phone on boards, games facebook etc only problem battery on my phone is crap so usually only withstands a few hours of that. Catch 22 of modern phones brillaint apps etc but batterys aren't worth a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say the kindle is a godsend for getting inked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Think up ways to hide the terror, pain, and occasional weeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Think up ways to hide the terror, pain, and occasional weeping.

I actually entertained myself today by watching the other guy getting tattooed screaming his head off! We were both getting thigh tattoos and one of the guys in the shop was like "look at this girl, she's getting tattooed the same place and not a sound, man up!" I could not stop laughing. Though in fairness his was going on the inner thigh so I imagine was a tad more painful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Chat about utter nonsense with the artist. Fell asleep getting my leg done once which was brilliant wish I could do that everytime. Brought a magazine once but didn't really look at it. Oh looked through flashbooks last time which was a good way to pass an hour. It'd take me days to look at the spider Murphy one properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Usuaully just sit there staring into space half falling asleep or messing with my phone while the artist(s) in the studio try and pull some conversation out of me. I'm not a big talker when I don't know people that well haha.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Longest tattoo session I've had was two and a half hours. Just spent the whole time talking to the artist and lifting my head to try see my arm every so often. We talked about everything from favourite books and films to a road trip she took as a teen to how overpriced the Miami Ink artists are. For certain parts she had to concentrate a lot so she didn't speak and during those I almost drifted off.

If I had to sit for a seriously long time I guess I'd bring a book or arse around on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

The girl that did my first three was not chatty at all. Had himself the first one, sister there the other too so it was nice to be able to chat to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm amazed by the amount of people that say they feel like sleeping! I must be a total wuss haha, I only felt that way once and it was short lived. I always chat with my artist, he's also one of my best friends so it's handy that way, always stuff to chat about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Hopefully not this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

I usually bring a 4-pack of Monster and a few packs of biccies. Keeps me going for a bit. My tattooist doesn't talk much but his younger brother (who takes the bookings and decides pricing etc.) is always there and he's a real chatterbox. We usually just end up chatting about movies and trying to guess the movies certain quotes come from...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I can't really talk whilst getting tattooed. I find that I kinda shut down when I'm in pain, and talking takes a lot out of me! Sometimes I wouldn't even be able to read either. So zoning out and staring at the walls for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I usually just sit there and relax. Chat sometimes depending on who I'm getting work by.

I'm in for a killer session on Tuesday, so I've made myself a playlist of some of the heaviest stuff on my iTunes. I've titled the playlist "Fuck You!".

Charming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd usually be on my phone or just watching the tattoo being done. A little bit of convo with the artist too but I'm not much of a talker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I lie there with my eyes closed doing my best not to move! Im an awful fidget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

first time i has my leg tattoos i passed out:o

the guy gave me a few magazines to read to keep me distracted so he could finish the job:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Viserion

Chat our heads off. Including himself we've been going to the same artist for 20 years so plenty to talk about.

Advertisement