Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do while being tattooed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Got my first tattoo yesterday which was a 3 hour chest piece and for me it was just chatting to the artist, looking at all the pictures on the wall and listening to the music which was playing got me thought what I initially thought was going to be really painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm another kindle (or paper book) user here.

My longest session was 8.5 hours, with a deaf artist who could only lip read in Hungarian.

That made communication awkward, it was also a Sunday, and he had agreed (through a translator) to open the shop specially for me, so there was not even any passing people to chat with!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Think I might ask Santa for a Kindle this year... and try to be good!
    I tend to chat to the artist (if they're the chatty type!) otherwise I try to zone out a little.

I've also no idea how some of you can almost sleep through it!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Think I might ask Santa for a Kindle this year... and try to be good!
    I tend to chat to the artist (if they're the chatty type!) otherwise I try to zone out a little.

I've also no idea how some of you can almost sleep through it!!! :eek:

I have kinda been dozing off in and out of concious on one or two occassions once gave out to Remis because he wanted to take a break when I was in sleep mode :pac: wanted to keep going while the going was good :).

But I think once you go over a certain amount of time 4+ hours sleeping is not going to happen at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

oeb wrote: »
    I'm another kindle (or paper book) user here.

My longest session was 8.5 hours, with a deaf artist who could only lip read in Hungarian.

That made communication awkward, it was also a Sunday, and he had agreed (through a translator) to open the shop specially for me, so there was not even any passing people to chat with!

This is one of my favourite things I have ever read on the internet.

Thanks to the whole chronic pain condition thing has gotten a lot worse since my last tattoo, so I dunno how I'm gonna handle the next one! We'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I'm hoping to get my Eeyore done after Christmas if I EVER get the feckin' money together. I imagine the ankle area would be pretty damn painful as my first and so far only tat was on my left wrist. It was done in 20 minutes as it's a very simple design and Cathal barely said a word to me.
    To be honest, all I did was try to keep my breathing easy and avoid fidgetting. My pain threshold is on the low side so I honestly don't know how some of ye can read a book/Kindle let alone fall asleep! That said, though, my next tat will be a lot more intricate- linework, shading and colour to consider so I'd say I'd probably just be hissing through my teeth and cursing under my breath. It remains to be seen, though so I'll be sure to let you all know how I get on with it.

Slightly off topic but: Anyone got any good tips for stopping life interfering with efforts to save money?!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

jenizzle wrote: »
    I can't really talk whilst getting tattooed. I find that I kinda shut down when I'm in pain, and talking takes a lot out of me! Sometimes I wouldn't even be able to read either. So zoning out and staring at the walls for me :)

Yup - same as that! And gripping my phone while wondering how much is left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I'd always feel a bit rude bringing in a book or whatever, I'll usually just chat with the artists in the shop or zone out during the really nippy parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'd always feel a bit rude bringing in a book or whatever, I'll usually just chat with the artists in the shop or zone out during the really nippy parts.

I'm sure the artist's are used to it. There's only so much chatting you can do so if you're in for a long session, you need some distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well I figure that the artist is going to need to concentrate at bits too, rather than have me nattering.... I'll have a 2-3 hour session for a new tattoo soon and I plan to bring in my phone (I want to document the process a bit!) and i'll bring my kindle too i'd say. Just to have an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Well I'm in this Tuesday and I'll be bringing some new tunes with me. (He lets me hook my phone up to his speakers) and as I haven't seen them in a while, there's lots to catch up on, including them coming to mine next weekend to have a few beers for my burp-day! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Listen to music or just try and chill.

The most painful thing for me getting tattooed is my nose is sore, I keep rubbing it to get through the tough parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I generally just try to relax, chat a little to the artist (though I'm not a big talker either), look at the pictures on the walls etc. My last two sessions I had the phone with me to look at Boards and Facebook and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Well I figure that the artist is going to need to concentrate at bits too, rather than have me nattering.... I'll have a 2-3 hour session for a new tattoo soon and I plan to bring in my phone (I want to document the process a bit!) and i'll bring my kindle too i'd say. Just to have an option.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it is rude, just that I'd feel that way. My artist is a chatty guy and we both go silent if either one is concentrating, so it works out. I don't think I'd be able to absorb a book anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I only ever do 3 hour sessions because it's around then I hit the wall. Usually bring a fizzy drink, skittles, kindle and my phone. The guy I go to has a 40" tv above his chair where he plays those Planet Earth dvds so I usually switch between each distraction.

I've dozed once but never fallen asleep, I did laugh once though and cause the guy to mess up a line which then required a break and a rethink. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I thought it was a sin to fall asleep while the tattooist works, all because if you did fall asleep while said tattooist is working it can really cause a problem with the work.

I remember the day :D when you used knitting needles with indian ink to get the job done, how far we have come :)

Eating popcorn you say ? and skittles ? yeah right, you would be told to bite down hard on this old 1800's bit of hardwood to deal with the pain....Yeah, popcorn and skittles nowadays, how tranquil.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

kellief wrote: »
    This is one of my favourite things I have ever read on the internet.

Thanks to the whole chronic pain condition thing has gotten a lot worse since my last tattoo, so I dunno how I'm gonna handle the next one! We'll see!

I listen to audio books every day to distract myself from chronic pain. I'd say that could help while getting tattooed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

imokyrok wrote: »
    I listen to audio books every day to distract myself from chronic pain. I'd say that could help while getting tattooed as well.
    Worth considering! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 K.r.a.t.o.S

"What do you do while being tattooed?"
    I tattoo! (I do my own tattoos)
    Do something that takes problem solving mental skills and you'll be unlikely to get bored, tired etc. And I imagine if you have problems with the pain then this would be a good distraction for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Normally i listen to my i pod or mess on my phone. unless its only a small one im getting then ill just chat to tattoist. last one was hour and a half so lay down stuck on the ipod and rocked out a lil ha:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Normally i listen to my i pod or mess on my phone. unless its only a small one im getting then ill just chat to tattoist. last one was hour and a half so lay down stuck on the ipod and rocked out a lil ha:)

:confused:what do you consider a small one:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Chat to the tattooist a bit, zone out a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Arawn wrote: »
    :confused:what do you consider a small one:confused:

ah the one of my wrist was a small one only took a half hour so it was grand... anything over an hour and i start to zone out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Zurn

Talking to the tattoo artist. It´s always the same one, so I have known him for 14 years.

Last Wednesday I would have fall asleep, if I didn´t be stitched with a needle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Go to my happy place where pain doesn't exist...
    I forgot to answer once when he asked if I was ok so he probably thought I had passed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

I have. 2hour sesh booked for tomorrow... I have a feeling some f that time will be spent monitoring this thread...Chat tmoro guys haha

PaurGasm wrote: »
    I have. 2hour sesh booked for tomorrow... I have a feeling some f that time will be spent monitoring this thread...Chat tmoro guys haha

Forgive the spelling...my good old phone sit being nice to me ha

What you getting done? :)

What you getting done? :)

Getting an add on to a script tattoo I got about 5 years ago. Its on my inner bicep and I'm going to add on a coral rose expanding out from it diagonally up towards my shoulder!... Ill post a before and after tomorrow somewhere!

This is my first time on this board so I must explore it and find an appropriate thread to post it on!

• Advertisement

Getting an add on to a script tattoo I got about 5 years ago. Its on my inner bicep and I'm going to add on a coral rose expanding out from it diagonally up towards my shoulder!... Ill post a before and after tomorrow somewhere!

This is my first time on this board so I must explore it and find an appropriate thread to post it on!

Here ya go heres a link to the pic thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057008648

Have a good browse around were a friendly bunch in here mostly :).

Advertisement