Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conch or helix?

• 06-08-2013 2:15pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I really want to get a dragon earring that kinda wraps its way around the ear. I just need to figure out where to put it. I’d like it to be something like this:

guardian-dragon-ear-wrap-cartilage-piercing-bronze-earrings-f20951.jpg

Or this:
    E274-Alchemy-Earring-Ear-Cuff.jpg

Now the problem with the second picture is that I have no lobe piercings, because I have no earlobes. I did have them pierced twice but they closed over both times, once after an overly heavy earring fell through my infected earlobe (thanks, guns!) and caused a slit. Wahay! I don’t particularly wish to get them pierced again.

So I’m thinking the logical place to get pierced is the outer conch, would this be right? Of course I still need to source the piece of jewellery (any help, anyone?) and make sure it wouldn’t be too large for my tiny ears, before figuring out exact placement.

In case it isn’t patently obvious, I’m hopelessly lost :P Hopefully some of ye knowledgeable, wise and dashingly handsome/beautiful (delete as appropriate) boardsies can point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dragon-s-lure-ear-cuff

Few variations of the jewellery you're looking for there.

And some neat non dragon stuff here

http://www.martymagic.com/categories/Ear-Cuffs-Ear-Wraps/

Afraid I can't help with the rest of your question, but someone will be along! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That first one doesn't look like it actually goes through the ear at any point, but rather just wraps around it!
    Something like that may have to be modded or made to fit.
    Would be more secure if it did go through at some point, but could put quite a bit of weight on the piercing, so wouldn't recommend jewellery like that till you're fully healed!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Damo, yeah the top one is a pierce free wrap. I like the style but want something with a piercing
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dragon-s-lure-ear-cuff

Few variations of the jewellery you're looking for there.

And some neat non dragon stuff here

http://www.martymagic.com/categories/Ear-Cuffs-Ear-Wraps/

Afraid I can't help with the rest of your question, but someone will be along! :)

Those are really cool but from what I can tell, all lobe piercings :(

I'm starting to wonder how feasible this'll be unless I go down the route of commissioning jewellery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Damo, yeah the top one is a pierce free wrap. I like the style but want something with a piercing

Those are really cool but from what I can tell, all lobe piercings :(

I'm starting to wonder how feasible this'll be unless I go down the route of commissioning jewellery

I think that unless you commission a piece, it'd have to be a free-wrap piece. If you commission one, it'd probably be best to be a multi-piercing piece in order to take the weight without damaging the piercings. And possibly segmental, so that they can be put in easier.

I'm perfectly happy to make it a multiple piercing piece, or in a few segments, if it means it'll be safer for my ear and less likely to wiggle around. I suppose I really am looking at a commission then? Where would I go to get something like that?

Also, excuse the newbish questions, but what materials should I be looking for? Titanium? Silver? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Titanium or niobium. NO silver and NO steel.

To be honest you'll have a hard time getting that done in Ireland, it's quite hard to ship in custom-made pieces as the cheaper suppliers don't make them and most Irish piercers don't deal with expensive companies, as no one will pay for them.

As for placements of actual piercings, just chat to a piercer about that. They'll likely scrap anything we come up with here in favour of something they feel more comfortable with and think has a better chance of working out. There are probably more factors than we're aware, as enthusiasts.

Good luck!

Titanium or niobium. NO silver and NO steel.

To be honest you'll have a hard time getting that done in Ireland, it's quite hard to ship in custom-made pieces as the cheaper suppliers don't make them and most Irish piercers don't deal with expensive companies, as no one will pay for them.

As for placements of actual piercings, just chat to a piercer about that. They'll likely scrap anything we come up with here in favour of something they feel more comfortable with and think has a better chance of working out. There are probably more factors than we're aware, as enthusiasts.

Good luck!

Yeah after looking up Irish jewellers who do commissions, there aren't really any who do this kinda thing. And shipping from abroad is looking at a few hundred euro, which is more than I really wanted to spend. :(

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Advertisement