Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief - EU Property

Options
  • 06-08-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to claim rent relief for the past 4 years - I worked in Ireland for a year 2008-2009 (not renting) and then moved to Italy, where I began renting in January 2009. I moved back to Ireland around a year ago.

So, I've completing the Rent 1 form for each property I've rented - but I'm not entirely sure about the section regarding the withholding of 20% of the rent to be handed over to Revenue. I didn't do this as my Italian landlords already pay tax on their rental income to the Italian authorities.

What are the chances that Revenue turn around and ask me to stump up 4 years worth of tax? Can Irish authorities really ask an Italian landlord to pay Irish tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

You've got everything upside down and inside out on this one...

The question you should be asking yourself is why would you be claiming (or entitled to claim) a tax credit here for a year or years that you weren't tax resident? Based on what you've said you were tax resident in Italy in 2009, 2010 and 2011, and maybe 2012 depending on when you arrived home.

As for deducting Irish tax from rent you pay while living in Italy to an Italian landlord, that's a mad notion altogether - that requirement relates to a person renting property in Ireland from a landlord who is resident elsewhere. Of course Irish Revenue can't tell people who are in other countries, engaged in transactions that are nothing to do with Ireland, that they want some money please!

Sure by that reasoning we could solve the country's problems by imposing a tax on Ze Germans for, I dunno, breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Thanks for that Barney,

You're right about the tax residency, which is probably the main factor for rent relief requests with foreign property. Basically, you would have to be living and working in Ireland (or posted abroad) and renting a foreign property as if it were a second home, to be successful in the claim.
    Sure by that reasoning we could solve the country's problems by imposing a tax on Ze Germans for, I dunno, breathing.

I have heard of stranger notions from Revenue :)

Advertisement