Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goat farming

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sometimes when you read up on goats - particularly American sites - the impression is given that they HAVE TO be fed hay.

Is it possible to feed them silage - I realise obviously that it WOULD NEED to be VERY good quality.

Did think about them a couple of years ago - but was concerned about making self processing of the milk work - investing in equipment, demands on labour (possible need to employ people with all the expense that entailed). Oh and yes the obvious one - how to learn about keeping goats.

On a final point - does anyone know how near goats can safely be kept - to a wind farm????.

The idea still floats around in my head - its like a toothache that refuses to go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Old diesel wrote: »
    Sometimes when you read up on goats - particularly American sites - the impression is given that they HAVE TO be fed hay.

Is it possible to feed them silage - I realise obviously that it WOULD NEED to be VERY good quality.

Did think about them a couple of years ago - but was concerned about making self processing of the milk work - investing in equipment, demands on labour (possible need to employ people with all the expense that entailed). Oh and yes the obvious one - how to learn about keeping goats.

On a final point - does anyone know how near goats can safely be kept - to a wind farm????.

The idea still floats around in my head - its like a toothache that refuses to go away.

Interesting question... would it not be like cattle and they could graze at the bottom of the turbines ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

_Brian wrote: »
    Interesting question... would it not be like cattle and they could graze at the bottom of the turbines ??

No prob with cattle. Neighbours here have no problem grazing under them

_Brian wrote: »

Youd imagine so - but im under the impression Goats are more sensitive IN GENERAL then cattle????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

Youd imagine so - but im under the impression Goats are more sensitive IN GENERAL then cattle????

The Element contracts state you can only graze cattle and sheep

Deano7 wrote: »
    The Element contracts state you can only graze cattle and sheep

Is there a specific reason for that????

Btw - im talking about say 1 to 2 miles away from the wind farm - not say having the turbines on the same farm as the goats - if that makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Btw - im talking about say 1 to 2 miles away from the wind farm - not say having the turbines on the same farm as the goats - if that makes sense
    Seems weird to me too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

That's what the contracts say, I know the horse breeders won't bring high value mares within 10 mile radius of one.

Advertisement