Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Services Design exam Q

Options
  • 06-08-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi any help with this would be greatly appreciated,

exam Q.docx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

To solve this you need to use the adiabatic equation.

t = (k^2 * S^2) / I^2

where:
    t = breaker disconnection time (seconds)
    k = is a factor that derived from the specific heat capacity, temperature coefficient and conductivity of the cable. Its quiet complex to manually calculate so if you want to know how to derive it let me know and il show you.
    S = conductor size in mm^2
    I = Short circuit fault current.

So in your problem:
    t = (k^2 * S^2) / I^2 becomes
    t = (115^2 * 70^2) / 20000^2 = 28.17 seconds

So this tells us that it will take 28.17 seconds for the 70mmssq cable carrying 20kA to reach its limiting temperature. As your protective device operates within 0.2 seconds this is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ED.D

Thanks a lot Brian this is a great help, always given the K factor so there's no need.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Sorry Ed I hoped you checked them figures as there is a mistake, I just rechecked it now as I was thinking 28 seconds was a hell of a time for a cable to carry 20kA. The result should be 0.16200625 seconds. I don't know how the result ended up as 28 seconds, must of missed a figure somewhere.

The method is correct though.

So as the cable will reach its limit within 0.16 seconds and the breaker wont trip till 0.2 seconds the MCCB is not suitable and needs to be changed.

Apologies for the mistake.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

BrianDug wrote: »
    The method is correct though.

That is the important part.
    Most of the exam marks are for method / technique, almost none would be lost for mathematical errors.

Advertisement