Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork shoulder - but no slow cooker

Options
  • 06-08-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I see many (most?) pork shoulder recipes seem to involve it being cooked in a slow cooker.
    However i dont have one :(

Any good recipes out there w/o the use of a slow cooker, that will also give me mouth watering results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

How about this recipe from the Cooking club:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057006064

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Put it in your oven on a low heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

A good casserole dish (i.e. cast iron) & a low oven will give you the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I do have a decent casserole dish alright.

How low roughly?
    Also, how much fluid should i add?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

For pork shoulder you can just make a spice rub for the pork rub it well then tie the meat joint (or get your butcher to tie it and then rub it in the spice rub at home)

Take out the meat (2.5kg) and leave it at room temp for 1 hour before roasting heat the over to 150 degrees and put it on a oiled flat roasting rack and in a roasting tin. Roast the pork until its temperature is 88 degrees about 4 hours. remove and rest the meat covered in foil for 20-30 minuets. then you can pull the pork apart with forks or use your fingers meat will be very very tender

Here's is my spice rub
    2 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    Sea salt
    Freshly ground pepper

just mix well and rub onto the raw meat.

I also make a sauce which I mix the meat with for pulled pork baps or wraps but that's another story ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Kerikosan wrote: »

I also make a sauce which I mix the meat with for pulled pork baps or wraps but that's another story ;)

I'm interested in your sauce if you feel like sharing? I love pulled Pork sandwiches, ordered one in a coffee shop / restaurant and was very dissapointed to get dry sliced pork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

ScottStorm wrote: »
    I'm interested in your sauce if you feel like sharing? I love pulled Pork sandwiches, ordered one in a coffee shop / restaurant and was very disappointing to get dry sliced pork.

Ah man a roast pork sandwich can be mighty tasty if the meat is very freshly cooked and moist and tender. Think they we using yesterdays roast pork which goes hard and dry (Not so nice!)

Recipe for the Sauce goes as follows

500ml Tomato Sauce ( Home made is best )
    80ml cider vinegar
    3 heaped tbsp of brown sugar
    1 tbsp chilli powder
    1 tbsp onion powder
    2 tsp Garlic powder
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 tsp of Hot Chipotle sauce or a hot chilli sauce (I have substituted "Franks hot sauce" in the past but added maybe 5 tbsp)
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine all into a pot bring to the boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minuets, should have about 500ml of sauce.

It's best I think to shred all the meat up in a big pan then toss in the sauce and mix really well serve in baps with a side of Handcut fries, Garlic aioli salads like coleslaw, tossed garden salad, potato salad and pasta salad and lots of cold beer! Guaranteed awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gar1234

this is my favouite way to do pork shoulder all my mates are doing it now sine they tried it in my house

http://foodwishes.blogspot.ie/2009/12/oven-smoked-pulled-pork-shoulder.html

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

That's it. I'm getting my lazy Ass out of bed and down to the butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just fyi, for anyone in Dublin who has a Courtney's Food Service near them (wholesale butchers that's open to the public), I got a 2.5kg (boned weight) pork shoulder there this morning for a tenner. A tenner!

Have half it braising in the oven at the moment for my Carnitas & Sharknado session tonight, the other half is in the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You could do it old school, dig a pit out back, and build a Dutch oven. Otherwise wedge your oven door open as most domestic ovens don't go as low at 110 degrees

Advertisement