Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking down a landlord

Options
  • 06-08-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Hoping somebody can help.

We bought our house 3 years ago, fully aware that the house next door was a rental property. The tenants where loud, blaring music etc, but in fairness, after a quiet word, they stopped and where mindful of the noise levels.

These tenants would always keep their garden in shape (as best they could). The tenants have moved out and a new set have moved in. I have zero complaints as to noise levels etc, however, the front garden has turned into a big mess.

The grass levels have grown to be over 5 foot in height, spilling into our drive way. The two bush/trees planted at the front of the house have gone so over grown, that the current tenants are using twine to tie them back so they can access their front door. This bush was growing over my window, which I cut a put the trimmings back into their garden.

The railings surrounding the property have gone rusted and broken, resulting in sharp edges. As there are a lot of children playing on the road, I'd be sorry to see someone get a nasty cut.

They have a white plastic sun lounger thrown in the front garden, with the grass growing all around it. I wouldn't mind, the corporation recently had a household collection, so anything you no longer wanted had to be left on the pathway for collection. They never put it out, and it is there 3 years now from the previous tenants.

To top everything off, when I was heading to work at 4.30 the other morning, I saw a mouse crawling out their railings and scurrying down the road. This put the icing on the cake for me and I'm trying to track down the landlord to get him/her to get things together. During our three years living here, not once have we seen a landlord.

I'm not trying to sound like a many / nosey neighbour, however I feel things have gone beyond a joke. It resembles a jungle. We have put ALOT of money into our house, and keep it clean and proper. We feel this is totally devaluing our house also.

Has anyone any advice on how to broach this? I've been on the prtb website, however I can't access certain things as I use an iPad and it doesn't recognise some of the programmes.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Any chance any of the other neighbours have been around longer and may have the landlords number or name? The landlord may have lived there previous to renting it out so someone may know them.

I would say they should be keeping it maintained as part of their contract or the landlord is going to have to sort out the mess when they move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Do you think it would be a bad idea to write a letter to the tenants asking them to sort out the jungle? Making them aware that I seem vermin in their garden?

Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im assuming that you have done the neighbourly thing and knocked on their door for a polite chat before attempting to approach their landlord?

They never answer the door. Have tried already.

Suppose once you keep it polite there wouldn't be any harm in trying. I'd keep it anonymous.

To be honest if its as out of control as you say I think they just couldn't be arsed and would probably ignore the letter.

Although they could be so embarrassed and get up off their arse.

Is it an able tenant? i.e. physically able to tackle gardening.

If it gets too bad you legally can cut anything that comes into your garden and throw it back onto theirs.

Or a mid night weedkiller shower would be hard to pin on you. (they may point the finger if you send the letter signed by yourself):D

• Advertisement

They are all in their late twenties and thirties. One person is Irish and the remaining tenants are foreign nationals.

As I said, apart from the front garden, you wouldn't even know anyone is in the house as they are extremely quite, which I'm very grateful for but it's just a bloody eyesore which is now attracting vermin.

The PRTB can, on behalf of neighbours, chase landlords who are failing to uphold their obligations in the case of antisocial behaviour etc from tenants. Im not sure if this would fall under that, but it might be worth contacting them and see what they have to say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its actually not the tenants issue at all.
    Legally the landlord is responsible for the upkeep of the exterior of the building and the grounds.
    Even in cases where the landlord has offloaded these duties on their tenants (which isn't in itself unusual) they are still ultimately responsible for seeing that they are done.

OP- I'd continue pursuing the tenants- but would be mindful of the fact, that the responsibility is the landlord's responsibility and not theirs.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

As luck would have it, the house was on show tonight for new tenants, and I happened to meet mr. Landlord.

As pleasant as I was, all whilst still getting my point across, he didn't really want to know. So I don't know what to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If it is attracting vermin you can report it to the council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

cruais wrote: »
    Thanks for all the helpful replies.

As luck would have it, the house was on show tonight for new tenants, and I happened to meet mr. Landlord.

As pleasant as I was, all whilst still getting my point across, he didn't really want to know. So I don't know what to do now.
    Tell him you'll be contacting the PRTB if he doesn't sort it within 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

And in a short 18 months they might get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

cruais wrote: »
    I saw a mouse crawling out their railings and scurrying down the road. This put the icing on the cake for me...
    That's quite a talent. Have you been in contact with RTE?

Can't believe I actually received an email back today! Basically they can't disclose info due to data protection etc, but gave me a number to contact so I can speak with someone.

Hopefully a little light at the end of the tunnel for me!

Maybe the new tenants will be a little more house proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You know, if Mr Landlord was showing new tenants around, and those new tenants weren't put off by the garden, then perhaps, just perhaps, it's not actually all that bad? Are you sure you aren't being just a wee bit to hypersensitive?

Also, mice live all around the place. I don't think it's long grass particularly that attracts them.

Here are a few comments which I have heard from people viewing.

Dump!

Jaysus, the grass could do with a mop chop.

Parent to young daughter (presumably student)- absolutely no way.

Now, my window was open in front room so couldn't but help over hear.

I can only assume its just as bad on the inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dustyie

If you saw mice or rats , report it to health board. It become a health issue

If thats the state of it when he is showing it to new tenants then its clear he doesnt care much about the property. The PRTB may be your only route to getting this resolved, and unfortunately it wont be sorted in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

djimi wrote: »
    If thats the state of it when he is showing it to new tenants then its clear he doesnt care much about the property. The PRTB may be your only route to getting this resolved, and unfortunately it wont be sorted in a hurry.

Its the council that the OP should be calling, they can issue fines for overgrown hedges etc that impede the path or road and can address the health issue of Mice etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Its the council that the OP should be calling, they can issue fines for overgrown hedges etc that impede the path or road and can address the health issue of Mice etc.

Indeed, in fact I would be surprised if the PRTB did get involved. A third party complaint can only be brought force a landlord to enforce the tenants' obligations.

"Please note that third party issues in relation to the standard and maintenance of a rental dwelling are a matter for local authority enforcement and the PRTB does not have jurisdiction to deal with such complaints."

If I could upload photos to prove it, I would, but I'm just afraid that the landlord would see it!

Indeed, in fact I would be surprised if the PRTB did get involved. A third party complaint can only be brought force a landlord to enforce the tenants' obligations.

"Please note that third party issues in relation to the standard and maintenance of a rental dwelling are a matter for local authority enforcement and the PRTB does not have jurisdiction to deal with such complaints."

Fair enough; I assumed they would be there to enforce all the landlords obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

djimi wrote: »
    Fair enough; I assumed they would be there to enforce all the landlords obligations.

Nope, a third party dispute is for the landlord's failure to enforce the tenants' obligations. I suppose, in theory, one of those obligations could be to manage the garden if defined in the lease but the clear intention is to address anti-social behaviour rather than an unruly or untidy garden.

It's probably also worth mentioning that the third party may have to prove that they have tried and failed to resolve the dispute directly before raising the dispute with the PRTB.

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/3rd-party-applications/guide-to-third-party-dispute-applications

Advertisement