Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - less than 2 weeks to go...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Insidious wrote: »
    Whats the race in Donegal?? I'm interested... ;-)

http://www.therace.ie/index.php/the-race-2014/course

Not for me just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

hardCopy wrote: »

Because of the extortionate entry fee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Because of the extortionate entry fee ?

Ouch, I hadn't seen that.

Although it does include two nights accommodation and all proceeds go to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Waylander79

I won my entry fee so it's ok for me but ya it is expensive. Having said that my friend entered as well and when he paid his fee he didn't pay it to the race organisers, the payment was made directly to Self Help Africa. I guess anyone that's not interested in the charity element of it will be turned off completely by the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluenova

It may have being connor mc keown photography he's from westport and is always at any sporting event in ghe area pm him on Facebook
    Bacchus wrote: »
    Does anyone know who the photographer was that was hanging around the finish area. He took a photo of our group for us. I thought he was part of the official photographers for Gaelforce but it seems he was there working for someone else and I've no idea how to find him. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

A group of 10 of us did this for the first time this year. Our times ranged from 4:15 to ~8hours and every one of us had a blast. Even with the range of times we all hit the same walls (the cycle up to Croagh Patrick was a killer) and enjoyed the same views. We all waited for each other at the finish line. Such a great buzz coming in to Westport on the bike and getting to that line :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

bluenova wrote: »
    It may have being connor mc keown photography he's from westport and is always at any sporting event in ghe area pm him on Facebook

Thanks Bluenova. I tried Conor already though. He said he left the finish line area at around 12:30. Our group photo was at around 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluenova

There's also another lad in the area shutter stills is his website I think his first name is Pawel or something like that might be worth a try
    Bacchus wrote: »
    Thanks Bluenova. I tried Conor already though. He said he left the finish line area at around 12:30. Our group photo was at around 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Insidious

hardCopy wrote: »

That race is insane..... ;-)

I'm all for taking the pain but seriously.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Just hijacking this thread as there doesn't seem to be a general GF thread this year (seems awfully quiet in fact - numbers dropping again I wonder?)

Anyway, I'm off in the 1st wave (will try to not choke on Peterx's dust if he's doing it again). Wondering about the kayak section - I'm aware that in this wave there's no timing out and it's one competitor per kayak; just not sure what type of kayaks are used for this wave? Sit on top? Two-man?

Anyone know?

Cheers,

Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

All sit on tops. The first 20 or 30 people to reach the kayaks get to use single sit on tops and then everyone else uses doubles.
    My dust will be easy to catch this year, my knee is in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Paddigol wrote: »
    Just hijacking this thread as there doesn't seem to be a general GF thread this year (seems awfully quiet in fact - numbers dropping again I wonder?)

Anyway, I'm off in the 1st wave (will try to not choke on Peterx's dust if he's doing it again). Wondering about the kayak section - I'm aware that in this wave there's no timing out and it's one competitor per kayak; just not sure what type of kayaks are used for this wave? Sit on top? Two-man?

Anyone know?

Cheers,

Patrick

Previous years It was top 30 or so in single sit on kayak. Then two in a double sit on.

The time out only happened if you needed to wait for a kayak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

im in for this as well this year, very little running done so im going to be taking it easy, the hardest part is the logistics, delphi and back on friday and getting up at 3 in the morning to be in westport to catch the bus for the first wave, after that if i get thru the first run itl all be fine from there...
    shouldve used my noggin and went in the 2nd wave and got a rest before the kayak....
    praying for good weather,..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

In as well was going well at the training but got a knee injury which stopped me training for 6 weeks from 16th May until the end of June.
    Just back this morning from a 10k mountain run in Cooley, everything going well Im aiming for under 7 hrs originally I was aiming for 6, I just want to get through the first run, happy enough on the bike, although still not sure about pedals, fitted toe straps last week but find them very uncomfortable. Also out in the 1st wave hoping the weather is favourable..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Where is the best place to park the car on the day will be leaving the car from early until about 3pm.Is there any free car parks or are the all pay and display?

just thinking the same thing, is there a car park close to the new finish ? , tis pay and display though..

woody1 wrote: »
    just thinking the same thing, is there a car park close to the new finish ? , tis pay and display though..

I was hoping to park close to the bus pickup don't want to walk too far that early in the morning.

if the bus pick up is still on mill street, then there is a car park on mill street, opposite mill times hotel, i parked there 2 years ago, still pay and display.. it was so early in the morning i cant remember if we bought tickets or not ..

I was hoping to park close to the bus pickup don't want to walk too far that early in the morning.

im hoping to park close to the finish cos i dont want to walk too far after the race .. :eek:

if the bus pick up is still on mill street, then there is a car park on mill street, opposite mill times hotel, i parked there 2 years ago, still pay and display.. it was so early in the morning i cant remember if we bought tickets or not ..

im hoping to park close to the finish cos i dont want to walk too far after the race .. :eek:
    Thanks woody wasn't even thinking about after the race will probably still park close to buses in the mill street car park don't know of any carparks near Westport house where the finish is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice I am thinking at entering gaelforce last minute I wouldn't be the best at running I'm comfortable enough on the bike. I have not trained but I would have an ok fitness level. Am I mad to enter I have wanted to do this for a long time but never got around to the training part any advice would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

Gael force is a tough race even with training,your talking anywhere from 4 to 11hours,only you can really tell if your fit enough to attempt it,but my advice is I wouldn't run a marathon without proper training likewise I wouldn't do Gael force without some proper training,

• Advertisement

the first run is tough.. hard on the legs, the climb up the mountain isnt overly easy either.. youl be as long ( or longer ) running and walking as you will be cycling

BUT it depends on what you want to do.. if your happy to take it very easy , you could get thru it ok, or it could be pure torture , how does the idea of being on the go for 6-7 hours or more sit with you

its very hard to know how a particular individual is going to find it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

the first run is tough.. hard on the legs, the climb up the mountain isnt overly easy either.. youl be as long ( or longer ) running and walking as you will be cycling

BUT it depends on what you want to do.. if your happy to take it very easy , you could get thru it ok, or it could be pure torture , how does the idea of being on the go for 6-7 hours or more sit with you

its very hard to know how a particular individual is going to find it..

The run has me worried I haven't really ran in a while the bike part I'm fine with I have done 60km spins in the past without problem and I cycle on a regular basis in and out of work 25k and out for spin when I can. I would love to challenge myself and the thoughts of out for 6 to 7 hours doesn't bother me. I just wouldn't like to pull out after the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

For car parking, take a look at their website, they've mentioned a few places were you can park around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I have tried toe clips and straps for the last two weeks and my toes are getting needles and pins Im now thinking I'll got with spd pedals and mountain bike shoes which would mean only 3 change overs, I think the last cycle and run could be done on the mt shoes..
    Opinions ??

I've soooo many opinions :)
    But to keep it on topic - wear the SPD's and change back into the runners for the final run. Running in SPD's isn't good. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

Just in case anybody is Camping at Westport House Camp site,
    I noticed that the shortcut through to Westport town is now closed.
    "The walkway through the estate to the gates at Hotel Westport is now closed." is stated on their webpage about their new entrance.

I'm Planning on leaving the Car outside the campsite (campsite gate closed between 23:00 and 8:00) and driving over the CBS school Parking site.

spent yesterday putting puncture proofs back on the bike, and changing pedal

tougher than the race itself, if i get a puncture im f*cked , itl be a long walk.. :eek: but itl still be faster than fixing it..

Dessie Duffy of Muckno Tri is the 2014 winner of gf. In a class of his own his time of 3.33 was 7 minutes clear of the field. Said field enjoyed a great race with plenty of back and forth. In the women's Moira beat Emma Donlon.
    More from a pc tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Great time yourself Peter... Not bad for dodgy knees!

• Advertisement
Advertisement