Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old People in Shops/Banks etc.

• 06-08-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Why is it that when an elderly person reaches a counter they never ever want to leave it. They ask the most ridiculous questions, take ages counting change and then decide to pay with notes.

Don't they realise that those of us in the queue behind have lives to live. And the usual bull**** excuse that the shop assistant might be the only person they talk to all day doesn't wash with me.
    I was ages in a queue because of 2 old people holding it up today, and that shop assistant was the only person I've spoken to since yesterday morning, but I still didn't hold anyone up.

Ever been in the doctor's and you've only one person ahead of you in the queue, so you think, this is great, I won't be here long, but the old person who goes in ahead of you ends up staying in there for a whole fu*king hour.

I don't have anything against old people, but I just want them to show some consideration for others and not be holding me and everyone else up for no good reason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Translation: Kill them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

If you're very lucky, you too will reach old age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Haha this won't go well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

You're a real ray of sunshine aren't you?!

Hopefully you're drinking from your fountain of eternal youth or you're in trouble....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You want them to speed up op.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I don't have anything against old people

You'd want to read what you wrote so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For some lonely old people the only time they see someone else all day is in the shop or at a doctor's. I don't mind giving them a little time for a chat, not an hor mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

You'd want to read what you wrote so :pac:

I don't. I've a serious problem with them holding me up for no good reason though, and yes, I'm aware I'll get old, but I won't make anyone else suffer for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

I don't have anything against old people, etc, etc,

must be fierse being Ageist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Selfish Bastárds

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    For some lonely old people the only time they see someone else all day is in the shop or at a doctor's. I don't mind giving them a little time for a chat, not an hor mind...

Like I said in the OP, the shop assistant was the only person I've spoken to since yesterday, and I didn't hold anyone up.

I don't. I've a serious problem with them holding me up for no good reason though, and yes, I'm aware I'll get old, but I won't make anyone else suffer for it

So, you're suffering now? Wait until you get old, then you'll know all about suffering.

Maybe you should volunteer for something like this OP. Like biko said, for some of those old dears it's the only chance of a bit of company that they get. You could make them a little less lonely by giving them some of your free time?

No? didn't think so.

I actually agree with you but you should know yourself that old people happen to be just one of the many things you never get away with slating on here!

Anyway it was nice knowing you OP :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ah don't go to old people shops them

Maybe you should volunteer for something like this OP. Like biko said, for some of those old dears it's the only chance of a bit of company that they get. You could make them a little less lonely by giving them some of your free time?

No? didn't think so.

Loneliness is not an excuse for holding up people who are trying to go about their daily business.

I get lonely from time to time, I presume most people do on occasion.

You won't see me spending 10 minutes at a till or bank counter though.

Loneliness is not an excuse for holding up people who are trying to go about their daily business.

How come you hadn't spoken to anyone in two days yourself?

You really haven't a clue, have you?

Just remember when you get to there age you to will be able do and say what the feck u like without anyone being able do **** ha. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's just something you have to put up with. It's a thing... in the world... that happens. And that's that, really.

• Advertisement

How come you hadn't spoken to anyone in two days yourself?

Because I live on my own and I had no work on today. Yesterday I had a hangover so didn't want to see anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They may be physically slower at things during the appointment than reading, writing or their hearing or concentration might not be the best.

There's a lot more to get irritated about than the weakest sectors of society (the elderly and the very young) for merely existing and demonstrating inevitable frailty, dependence or loneliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

I don't. I've a serious problem with them holding me up for no good reason though,

They have plenty of reasons. They are customer's just like you. You are in a
    rush they are not. That's your problem. They as customer's are entitled to
    conduct their business in a satisfactory way . Why not be first in the queue
    then there is no waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

You're feckin delaying me with this thread, clogging up the interweb superhighway :mad:

:p

Because I live on my own .

An arrangement, I would wager, that sounds unlikely to change any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Why is it that when an elderly person reaches a counter they never ever want to leave it. They ask the most ridiculous questions, take ages counting change and then decide to pay with notes.

Don't they realise that those of us in the queue behind have lives to live. And the usual bull**** excuse that the shop assistant might be the only person they talk to all day doesn't wash with me.
    I was ages in a queue because of 2 old people holding it up today, and that shop assistant was the only person I've spoken to since yesterday morning, but I still didn't hold anyone up.

Ever been in the doctor's and you've only one person ahead of you in the queue, so you think, this is great, I won't be hear to long, but the old person who goes in ahead of you ends up staying in there for a whole fu*king hour.

I don't have anything against old people, but I just want them to show some consideration for others and not be holding me and everyone else up for no good reason.

You really are a rather pathetic individual.:(
    If there was ever an example of what a horrible bunch of human beings the Celtic Tiger moulded some of us into, this post is exactly it.
    Slow down bud, the party is over.
    Time to come back down to Earth again.
    Some day, you will be that elderly person at the top of the queue.;)

Mod: Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I was stuck behind an old lady yesterday at an ATM in the city centre. She must've been there 10 mins when she turned around and asked me if I could help her "check her balance"?

Turns out it wasn't great. I only half arsed shoved her and she went flat on her back side.

Ambulance arrived soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I feel your pain, OP. That's why I've been putting amphetamines in the granny's porridge. Definitely helps to pick up her pace.

De Bellem wrote: »
    I don't. I've a serious problem with them holding me up for no good reason though,

They have plenty of reasons. They are customer's just like you. You are in a
    rush they are not. That's your problem. They as customer's are entitled to
    conduct their business in a satisfactory way . Why not be first in the queue
    then there is no waiting

You mean wait outside the shops for them to open? Not really much different than having to wait behind an old person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

i hate old people , they are the most selfish of cnuts.

from minor stuff like pushing you out of the way at the bus stop with their trolleys to more major stuff like crying about being means tested for a the medical card knowing their kids and grandkids will be carrying the can while they sit on a whopper load of cash having traded down in the celtic tiger.
    once they get their pension they don't care who is enslaved.
    "i paid my taxes for years, I deserve .... " so what, you deserve nothing.

harping on about how it was better in their day how youngsters have no respect with the drugs and all that.
    "this used to be a lovely area before the drugs"...shut up.

they had no bother turning a blind eye to the carry on of the church or when their kids came home from school black and blue from being caned saying **** like "you must have deserved it".

i realise on review this has little to do with banks . sorry.

washman3 wrote: »
    You really are a rather pathetic individual.:(
    If there was ever an example of what a horrible bunch of human beings the Celtic Tiger moulded some of us into, this post is exactly it.
    Slow down bud, the party is over.
    Time to come back down to Earth again.
    Some day, you will be that elderly person at the top of the queue.;)

Attack the post, not the poster is the main rule on most forums, and if you can't make your point without name calling then that is fairly pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I hate young people, with their Dr Bob's in their ears and facetwatting away as they dilly dally along the street. I'd love to kick every wan of them up the hole.

I hate young people, with their Dr Bob's in their ears and facetwatting away as they dilly dally along the street. I'd love to kick every wan of them up the hole.

It's the infernal noise out of their Hit Parade Contraptions that annoys me most.

i hate old people , they are the most selfish of cnuts.

from minor stuff like pushing you out of the way at the bus stop with their trolleys to more major stuff like crying about being means tested for a the medical card knowing their kids and grandkids will be carrying the can while they sit on a whopper load of cash having traded down in the celtic tiger.
    once they get their pension they don't care who is enslaved.
    "i paid my taxes for years, I deserve .... " so what, you deserve nothing.

harping on about how it was better in their day how youngsters have no respect with the drugs and all that.
    "this used to be a lovely area before the drugs"...shut up.

they had no bother turning a blind eye to the carry on of the church or when their kids came home from school black and blue from being caned saying **** like "you must have deserved it".

i realise on review this has little to do with banks . sorry.

Jesus. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

De Bellem wrote: »

You mean wait outside the shops for them to open? Not really much different than having to wait behind an old person.

Patience is a virtue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Ah, I'll give old people a pass on this one. They've slowed down a lot and things take longer for them to get through, many of them are lonely and/ore don't have a lot to do with their day so they'll get the most they can out of any social interaction.

Now, middle-aged women, they have no excuse. I hope this doesn't come across as sexist as younger females are able to go about their business with the same level of celerity as anyone else. But life experience has taught me that you'd better not get your hopes up of getting anywhere soon if you're behind a middle-aged woman in a queue. I think anyone who's been behind one while waiting to use the bank machine will know what I mean. I've operated ATMs hundreds, maybe thousands of times over the course of my life. I know how long it takes to withdraw cash - I'd say, on average, about 30 seconds, maybe add 15 if you're checking your balance first. I have been behind women who have left me standing their like a plonker for five minutes while they...what is they're doing that could possibly take so long? When I punch in my PIN, there is a very limited set of options on an ATM. I half fancy these chicks have unlocked a game of Tetris, and are plugging away trying to beat their high score, to the detriment of the rest of society.

I came up with a joke the other day in town while it was lashing rain outside and I was I stuck behind a pair of middle-aged women taking out money.

How many middle-aged women does it take to operate a bank machine?

Two: one to hold an umbrella over her friend, the other to take eons carrying out what should be a very brief, simple procedure while I'm left standing in the rain like a ****ing pleb JESUS CHRIST HURRY THE **** UP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Women at ATM's is far worse. Its like theyve discovered narnia in there. Theres only so much you can do with an ATM and yet it takes 10 minutes...

Attack the post, not the poster is the main rule on most forums, and if you can't make your point without name calling then that is fairly pathetic.

Mod

Backseat modding is also against the charter, report posts and let the mods deal with them.

Walshman3 banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they also wait till all their messages are scanned till they start fumbling around their handbags looking for a miserable few pennies in their tattered purses

Middle aged women at an ATM is something that really annoys me as well, but that's nothing compared to middle aged women pushing a trolley in a supermarket.

They think nothing of bumping it into you or leaving in in the middle of an aisle, or stopping to chat to some other middle aged witch whilst parking their trolleys next to each other and blocking all access to that particular aisle for everyone else.

There is nothing as ignorant as a middle aged woman pushing a trolley in a supermarket, not even an old person at a till.

• Advertisement

Middle aged women at an ATM is something that really annoys me as well, but that's nothing compared to middle aged women pushing a trolley in a supermarket.

They think nothing of bumping it into you or leaving in in the middle of an aisle, or stopping to chat to some other middle aged witch whilst parking their trolleys next to each other and blocking all access to that particular aisle for everyone else.

There is nothing as ignorant as a middle aged woman pushing a trolley in a supermarket, not even an old person at a till.

Is there anybody you do like?
    Do you not have parents or grandparents? :confused:

Chucken wrote: »
    Is there anybody you do like?
    Do you not have parents or grandparents? :confused:

I like people who go about their daily business in an efficient manner, with due consideration for others.

Mod

Jesus lads, putting "I'm not being sexist" in front of something doesn't make it not so, drop all the sexist generalisations now please.

I like people who go about their daily business in an efficient manner, with due consideration for others.

Consideration is a 2 way street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

They play cards fast and furious. They might appear like zombies playing 25 but they are sharks waiting to rip you to shreds. And they eat all the nice sandwiches. Don't play cards with old people OP.

Consideration is a 2 way street.

I have consideration for others. I do my business as quickly as possible when there are others queuing behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

OP is just jealous that the elderly don't buy him sweets and stuff. Ever since I was knee high, random old people have been going into their pension money to give me sweets etc. when I'm in the shop. All because I have a friendly smile :D:D:D

OP must be Moe Szyslack

I have consideration for others. I do my business as quickly as possible when there are others queuing behind me.

....and they do their business as quickly as they find possible too.

....and they do their business as quickly as the find possible too.

No they don't, they spend ages asking stupid questions, or engaging the shop assistant in random conversation.

No they don't, they spend ages asking stupid questions, or engaging the shop assistant in random conversation.

They might sound like stupid questions to you, but remember not everyone knows it all...

• Advertisement
Advertisement