Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbound

Options
  • 06-08-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

This looks very like Terraria, if you're into the whole side scrolling open world, dig, kill and build 'em up. It's due for release sometime this year, the developers keep the site regularly updated with what they're doing and they seem fairly on the ball.
    It also looks to be very much more detailed in every sense than Terraria was. That's pretty high praise right there as Terraria was a terrific game.

There are some videos here and youtube & twitch are full of livestreams

You can preorder it now granting you beta access when the beta is ready.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This goes into beta tomorrow... looking forward to it. Some people are streaming it already for anyone interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Starbound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Magill wrote: »
    This goes into beta tomorrow... looking forward to it. Some people are streaming it already for anyone interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Starbound

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

*runs off to pre-order*

Been waiting for this game for ages, even if its a bug ridden mess of a beta I wanna play it, have that adventure/digging/crafting style game itch right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

And...another pre-order. If it's half as much fun as Terraria, then it's worth the €11.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Terraria with spaceships? Yes please. Been really looking forward to this for a while now.

Hope it's a relatively stable beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Have been looking forward to this for over a year now. Can't wait for the weekend when I will have time to try it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

mails are being sent out in 10 minutes for steamkeys if you've kickstarted or preordered in the last few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Downloading my copy now :)

Downloaded and played a bit, first bug is fullscreen isnt fullscreen :p

Looks lovely, animations on the main characters is great, enemy designs are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Oh god, 63000 people viewing the game on Twitch right now.

Man, finding Iron ore is HARD, found 1 so far not far from my drop site but everything else has been coal and copper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Very odd stutter in this game. Get it onboard the spaceship for about 15 seconds then it just goes away. Then the same down on the planet and it then goes away after 10-15 seconds. Doesn't stop when i go to the house with the NPCs in it. Wont be playing till thats fixed...or i fix it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Well, it is a beta in the true sense of the word. They detailed how their beta's will be structured.
    Stage 1 will be move at a breakneck speed. This will be the buggiest and busiest stage of the beta. A bunch of unfinished features will be disabled whilst we finish them up. Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day.

Maybe report it to them if it hasn't been brought up on the forums already.

Installing now, been looking forward to this for a while.

so many crashes, it's very terraria though with extra bells and whistles. construction is a lot easier for sure.

btw, just learned that holding shift while mining or chopping etc.. will just target the tile your cursor is over. Same works for building, one tile instead of four whilst shift is held down.

right click and build whatever = build background walls - took me ages to cop onto that :D

Hmm...I never got any email or download link.

Hmm...I never got any email or download link.

You probably bought through the humble store widget so if you have a humble account go check there.

I got no email either but my steam key is my humble account.

If I buy it now, will i get into the current beta? Assuming i pay for the silver tier that is.

Fancy giving it a go this weekend.

Not sure Kiith, according to their site yes, though you should probably have a check on their forums first to be sure.

540 meg patch this morning lol holy crap!

Limericks wrote: »
    You probably bought through the humble store widget so if you have a humble account go check there.

I got no email either but my steam key is my humble account.

Yup...can see a Steam key there now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Anyone thinking of playing this should hold off until the start of next week as there will be a save breaking update that should hopefully improve the gameplay considerably:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 toljin123

Hi all,
    I am having some problems getting the 21025 port forwarded for Starbound on my sky hub, if anyone has done this could they post the steps. I have tried everything but to no avail.

• Advertisement

Anyone thinking of playing this should hold off until the start of next week as there will be a save breaking update that should hopefully improve the gameplay considerably:D

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Picked this up on Saturday, an played it for a few hours. Great fun, and pretty much exactly what i expected. Will be nice once they add the main quest to the game, and there's no chance of a character wipe. Would be nice to see some ship sections as well, like finding random derelict ships and stations to explore.

Spent 2 hours building a house on a random planet, even though i know it'll be gone by the end of the week :/

that's why i've stopped playing it, it is brilliant in a terraria way though.

I believe there's a character wipe either today or tomorrow and then it should be fine for another while.. fingers crossed :)

Yeah, i'm just messing around exploring some planets now, to see if anything interesting happens. Not much point actually trying to improve my character. Hopefully the update comes out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Go to desert or arid planets for mining, the whole cave in / avalanche mechanic of sand and gravel means it practically mines itself !

Patch is out.

And characters have indeed been wiped.

Jesus, this has gotten more difficult. Having a really hard time even on the starter world. Not being made any easier by the near complete lack of iron. Also, wood no longer fuels your ship, so i can't fly elsewhere till i get a ton of coal.

Few tips though...

1. Mine the background during your first few cave dives. It lets the light in and saves you wasting torches.
    2. Mine the background to drain water out of caves. Again, only work for a little while down.
    3. Get the Iron Hunting bow as soon as possible, especially after the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Will the save wiping updates happen quite often during the beta stage?

Probably. they warned against it.

There will be 3 stages of beta. This one which will have updates almost every day and may lead to having to restart multiple times. then stage two which will be less frequent updates but may still end up in restart and phase 3 which is basically he finished game with some polishing left to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

anyone running a server ? or can you only do single player at the moment.

Advertisement