Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbound

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Played alot this morning since the patch then i 5 shot the UFO with an Iron Bow :mad: Then i made a 5k DPS steel weapon :mad: Then i quit playing :mad:

Will play again when they rebalance the weapons. Also one thing i feel they should work on are the enemy mobs. At the moment they are just random pokemon monsters with random abilities. They need to feel more unique. Maybe set monster types for each planet type. Other than that yeah it does have potential to be as good as Terraria, see how the beta goes

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Anyone know of some noob friendly servers?? I'm getting lonely on my own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Another character wipe inbound:(

There WILL probably have to be another character wipe for the weapons damage fix. Massive apologies!

Edit: Nevermind! Got that from the Starbound twitter page but it seems they will not be having another wipe yet:D

Yy4sYyZ.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Glad they don't have to wipe them again, and delighted they seem to have fixed monster and weapon damage. Supposed to take a few more hits to kill and be killed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Its fun i like the race selection, finding it a pain in the ass to get iron ore for this starting quest to make an anvil at the moment. Took a few deaths to cop on that the cold was killing me at night time :cool:

The hit box's on the mobs seem way off to me, even though i clearly hit the thing with my arrow it doesnt seem to count unless i hit them in the face.

• Advertisement

I found myself a sci-fi type bed, equipped with a probe and saw.

Still sleep like a baby :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

ha nice, i found a giant anchor last night so i stacked dirt to follow it upwards found a pirate ship so i killed them all took all their stuff and now i got a funky pirate hat.

I just found one of those as well, but i didn't have to slaughter a village. Just found it in a sewer.

Yours sounds more fun though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Looting peoples homes while they stand there in front of you and do nothing makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've seen a bit of gameplay from this.

What exactly is the point? It feels like something I could lose hours in but what's the goal of the game?

Is the gameplay as it is likely to be the finished article or is there still a lot of work to go in? The shooting and exploration mechanics seem a bit limited.

It's cool that you have an entire world made of stuff that you can do whatever you want with. Is that all there is to the game though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Gbear wrote: »
    I've seen a bit of gameplay from this.

What exactly is the point? It feels like something I could lose hours in but what's the goal of the game?

Is the gameplay as it is likely to be the finished article or is there still a lot of work to go in? The shooting and exploration mechanics seem a bit limited.

It's cool that you have an entire world made of stuff that you can do whatever you want with. Is that all there is to the game though?

It is very early beta. The game will have much more when complete including quests, full dungeons and fully featured multiplayer. All sandboxed so endless fun!

It is a bit lacking at the moment, and i've not really found anything that interesting on the planets i've been to since the last patch. There doesn't seem to be anything below the surface, and i spend way more time digging than i did in Terarria.

To be fair though, i've been stuck on the same planet for hours now, as coal is the only source of fuel for my ship...and there's no coal on my planet (or at least very little of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

You can use wood can't you, 10 logs = 1 coal I think.

You can use wood can't you, 10 logs = 1 coal I think.

Not anymore. They removed it as a fuel source. Coal, and a few other high level ores (uranium, plutonium etc...) can be used, but i've not found any of them.

Ok, just found out that you can use unrefinded wood, but you have to refine it into coal first at the furnace. Should make things much easier (and should make it a lot easier to get Steel Bars).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

you can also craft a lightstick that can be equipped in one of the back slots - there are two slots, one is the actual equip and use, the other is the aesthetic one, just in case you're wondering.. like i did last night when i thought "this feckin' thing is faulty"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I bought starbound last night.. Played it till the early hours even though I had to get up early. A game hasn't had that effect on me in a looooooooooong time :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What a brilliant game, ill find it hard to go back to Terraria now after this.
    Seems to have infinite replayability.
    I only played about 2 hours so im only scratching the surface,quite literally :)
    I hope mining gets faster.

not finding enough ore on your starting planet? grab some coal, fuel up the ship and set course for rigel 7, i hear there's plenty of platinum there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Kiith wrote: »
    Not anymore. They removed it as a fuel source. Coal, and a few other high level ores (uranium, plutonium etc...) can be used, but i've not found any of them.

Ok, just found out that you can use unrefinded wood, but you have to refine it into coal first at the furnace. Should make things much easier (and should make it a lot easier to get Steel Bars).

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! I wish I had known this! After the character wipe patch my starter world had almost no coal on it and was the only planet in the system! Took me ages to find enough coal to get out of there.

Ah well, thanks for the tip. It means I can go back to planet hopping now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Just went to a beta planet and getting owned over and over again. :(

• Advertisement

thought i'd post this here, how the beta stages will work, just incase you thought that's all there is to the game, it's not.. not even close :)

http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

stage1

Progenitor

Stage 1 will be move at a breakneck speed. This will be the buggiest and busiest stage of the beta. A bunch of unfinished features will be disabled whilst we finish them up. Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day.

If you choose to take part during stage 1 you should expect bugs, lots of balance changes, you shouldn’t get too attached to your character or universe as we may make changes that require you to start from scratch. You should expect the game to be broken at points as we make sweeping changes but you’ll get to enjoy exciting new content added constantly. The engine won’t optimized during this stage of the beta so performance could be poor on some low end machines.

You’ll get to see a bunch of ‘behind the scenes’ content at this stage and provide feedback during this crucial period.

DO take part in this stage if:

- You enjoy testing buggy and unfinished code

- You enjoy providing feedback

- You want to leave your mark on the game

- You just can’t wait any longer

DO NOT take part in this stage if:

- Bugs infuriate you

- You don’t like spoilers

- You can’t stand losing your save

- You want the full Starbound ‘experience’ the first time you play.

stage2

Automaton

Stage 2 will be largely feature complete. You’ll still find the odd bug but they’re unlikely to be game breaking and the chance of you losing your character or save is minimal. The main quest line won’t be in yet but the sandbox experience will be near complete. All sectors of the galaxy will be available including sector X (End game content). Much of the focus in this stage will be on bug fixing, optimization and balance.

- You enjoy reporting bugs/bughunting

- You have a low spec computer and want to make sure the game is optimized for it

- You want a complete sandbox experience

- You tried to wait a bit longer but failed

- You want to play through the main quest line

- You want to be a Novakid

stage3

Bio-organic

Stage 3 is largely about prepping for v1.0, this means finishing up the main quest line and implementing the post beta content. i.e. the Novakids, fossils. By the time stage 3 is complete Starbound should be ready to launch as a finished game. Worry not however, we plan to keep adding new content for at least a year after release, perhaps a lot longer.

- You want to give feedback on what will become the finished game

- You’d rather wait a litttttle bit longer and play the polished final version

- You’re still busy playing Pokémon X/Y

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Lone Stone wrote: »
    ha nice, i found a giant anchor last night so i stacked dirt to follow it upwards found a pirate ship so i killed them all took all their stuff and now i got a funky pirate hat.
    One of the pirates at the 2nd highest deck on the left is a vendor that sells guns. Guns are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I just got Starbound as a gift, I'm going to download it tonight, from what I heard it's a lot like Terraria so for that I am glad! :D

This isn't in game yet, but when it is...it will be mine.

nKhxUfM.gif

New patch should be now, which apparently fixes gun damage (i've not found one, so can't say) and a load of other things.

future features outlined

The list includes everything from fixes and balance tweaks, including a smoother difficulty curve and rebindable controls, to long-term planned features, like space combat and planetary modifications. You can see the full thing below:

"NPC Spawners & Building Logic: NPCs will scan the structures you build around them and the contents of chests; they will have improved inventories/behaviors depending on how valuable their surroundings are.
    "Macro Terrain Changes: Affect an entire planet’s terrain and weather
    "More Planet Scanner Data: See details in the planet scanner like planet occupants/dungeons
    "Underground: More secrets will spawn below the surface
    "Space Combat: Way in the future, expect space combat and the ability to board other ships.
    "Spaceship Dungeons: Very large, size of a planet.
    "Biome Hazards: Sandstorms, icestorms, meteor showers, toxic planets, airless planets.
    "Ore & Difficulty: Higher difficulty planets will have improved ore distribution
    "Story Missions: Eventually each tier will end with a story mission that ends with the bosses you see now.
    "Ship Navigator Changes: Still not set in stone; but the new idea is to give a local map with fog of war. Instead of sector buttons you have to fly out of a sector and into the next one by uncovering more of the star map. The final sector would be infinite.
    "Smoother Difficulty Curve: Better indication of the difficulty of an area. Difficulty will change within tiers as well as between tiers. There will be fractional difficulty (for example, Difficulty 1.12 in tier 1 would be easier than Difficulty 1.52, while still in T1)
    "Monster Generation: Right now, monster parts just have stat boosts, but eventually rolled monster parts will affect their behavior and abilities. For example, monsters with spider legs can climb walls; fiery monsters inflict burning. You might get a burning spider dropping on you from the ceiling. Projectiles may be tied to specifically generated heads. Biome may influence monster part generation.
    "Mini-Map: Rotating circular map showing highlights only such as the location of friendly players, spawn points–but no major details. For the details you’d use a mapping item to create a map as you travel.
    "Teleporters: Stargates between planets and eventually between servers.
    "Dramatic Planet Modification: Not going to be implemented any time soon. Ability for players to modify huge chunks of planets through things like orbital bombardment; removing the entire first layer of a planet and leave behind a lifeless surface.
    "Tech Priority: Eventually all techs can be active at once, but a categorization system is in the works to assign priority to conflicting techs, preventing issues. A hotkey to switch the active tech will be added as a temporary workaround until the priority system is completed.
    "Server Commands: More server commands and control for chat and port listening.
    "Villager AI: Villagers will aggro when you steal from them and follow you more aggressively.
    "World Storage: Improve world storage and organize *.pak files to improve modding. Add launcher integration.
    "Spawn Points: Change spawn points on individual planets.
    "Controls: Reconfigure controls; keybinding.
    "Ship Size: Upgrade ship/increase size.
    "Racial Armor: Racial abilities will not be inherent but will be tied to racial armor. For example, Avian armor can glide downward.
    "Capture Pods & Mercenaries: May be able to capture NPCs with pods. Summon NPC Mercenaries by using the pod as a beacon.
    "Reduced Wipes: Working on a system to patch without requiring as many character wipes in the future. This will require one more wipe and that’s it.
    "Other Changes: Colorblind Mode & Engine Optimization. FTL animation being revamped to reduce memory strain."

Some great sounding (and much needed) additions in there. Should be a fantastic game in a few months. It's already brilliant, just lacking in certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Kiith wrote: »
    Some great sounding (and much needed) additions in there. Should be a fantastic game in a few months. It's already brilliant, just lacking in certain areas.

Agreed, just a little bland at the moment to keep me interested. I pumped a good few hours into it but despite the near infinite universe, there's not enough variation at the moment. All the building blocks are there though so I might let this one sit for a few patches and then come back to it.

I think its brilliant as it is.

it is, but there's so much more planned for it, for me, loading it up and having to run through from scratch each time will dull the overall experience in the longrun. So i'm playing it sparingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah same here, i'd rather wait until a good amount of hte features are implemented. I've played a bit of it but honestly i've so many other games to play atm, so its better i just leave this until its officially released or at least much further in beta.

I did the same with terraria, i left it until a few patches in (When hardmode was released i think) and then played the **** out of it when there was lots to do.

Advertisement