Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

• 06-08-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Just came across this on a Facebook baking page I belong to. I commented to the poster that the name was horribly in bad taste and that while I knew it was based on a shot you can buy in American bars that I also found that horribly offensive. I told her about the Omagh bombing etc. She responded with " oh but I am married to a man called O Grady and have visited " the old sod" twice so its ok.

I politely pointed out that this fact made it worse as if she is so proud of her families Irish heritage that she should be even more aware of how offensive it is than most Americans who could rightly clam no knowledge of its links in history.

Am I just being overly offended? I did grow up " at the border" so do find it very offensive but am now even more irritated as she is using the " I'm Irish through marriage rubbish" to excuse it :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

How do you make them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Do they taste ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Grayson wrote: »
    Do they taste ok?
    It's a taste explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

Grayson wrote: »
    Do they taste ok?

I hear they're the bomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

polydactyl wrote: »

Am I just being overly offended?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Send her your recipe for your 911 cupcakes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Send her your recipe for Sandyhook Sandwiches. It's okay for you because you went to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My next door neighbour once attempted to blow up a car.

He suffered 3rd degree burns to his lips. He'll not try that again.

Dickhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

From all reviews they are yumm but just badly named. Not linking to the womans FB page but here is another bakery that got in trouble

Its apparently a recurring problem in America with some bars refusing to serve them but some idiots still perpetuating it. It seems the "Orish Americans" think they have a right to call it that cause you know they are Irish......not

Also the recipe from a diffferent site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Your offendedness offends me.
    Now who's right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ask her for recipes for:

Drone Strike Doughnuts.

Collateral Damage Crepes.

Blowback Buns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

I seen these on a recipe site. I was offended by the name, few people I knew were injured in car bombs, but I made the cup cakes regardless, they taste all right, not the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

9/11 Rice Crispy cake towers would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You should ring Joe Duffy. This is right up his alley.

Make sure you use the phrases "Im outraged Joe", "its a disgrace, Joe", etc.

I would make them too just not use the name. Chocolate baileys and guiness in a cake sounds great but there is no need for the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

This worlds gone mad, Offended by everything ffs :rolleyes:

ITS A CUPCAKE!

Very rarely offended actually and think world is generally much too PC but Americans justifying naming a bun after a method of murder cause they married a man named O Grady and have visited the "old sod" twice yes it offends me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Very rarely offended actually and think world is generally much too PC but Americans justifying naming a bun after a method of murder cause they married a man named O Grady and have visited the "old sod" twice yes it offends me.

And life goes on, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Why is this offensive? are you looking to be offended?

• Advertisement

No I was looking for a new cake recipe and got offended in the process. I know ppl injured in the Omagh bombing so making light of the seriousness of car bombs by ignorant people offended me and I educated them..anyway baking to be done now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

More ribs for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

No I was looking for a new cake recipe and got offended in the process. I know ppl injured in the Omagh bombing so making light of the seriousness of car bombs by ignorant people offended me and I educated them..anyway baking to be done now...

I know people who suffer from obesity. I find cupcakes offensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If this thread has proven anything it's that we need a definitive 9/11 dessert recipe.

It doesn't have to be tasteless, and involve towers and explosions, but it could be.

So where do we start? Cupcakes, biscuits, jelly, meringue.....?

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    If this thread has proven anything it's that we need a definitive 9/11 dessert recipe.

It doesn't have to be tasteless, and involve towers and explosions, but it could be.

So where do we start? Cupcakes, biscuits, jelly, meringue.....?

I like this one, the Jafar toy is a great touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You said it yourself in the OP, that its named after a drink common in American bars. So why not go get annoyed at American bars?

syklops wrote: »
    You said it yourself in the OP, that its named after a drink common in American bars. So why not go get annoyed at American bars?

It's in a lot more countries than America too, I had one in Leeds 2 weeks ago. It was tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

You have the right to be offended. just like the cake maker has a right not to give much of a f**k what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im more annoyed at the hypocrisy involved. Make some plane hijackers, pearl harbour bombers or 9/11 tower droppers and they would want you dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

9/11 Commemorative Manhattan

Fill a cocktail shaker 2/3 full with ice. Add:
    2 oz rye whiskey (for example Sazerac)
    3/4 oz red vermouth (I recommend Noilly Prat)
    1 dash Angostura bitters
    Shake well and strain into a collapsible silicone cocktail glass.

Garnish with a maraschino cherry impaled on the nose of a toy plane.

Light a leftover sparkler from the 4th of July, bend it at a 90 degree angle just below the thick part, and place it in the glass with the bend at the bottom.

Wait for the sparkler to ignite the alcohol; serve.

Run away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Typical stupid woman.

Before anybody gets offended or dares to call me a misogynist, I'll have you know my sister is female, so shut your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Not really offensive. Classless is the word that springs to mind. It's not exactly the sort of name I'd imagine a sophisticated person would come up with. It was originally the name of a drink the Yanks invented, wasn't it?

Im more annoyed at the hypocrisy involved. Make some plane hijackers, pearl harbour bombers or 9/11 tower droppers and they would want you dead.

I think the problem with a lot of Americans is that it's just sheer ignorance rather than malice. ''Car bomb'' is a very crude name though, so maybe ignorance isn't a good excuse, as it's obvious what it's referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

How do you make them?

Lots of jellynite.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Tornaxx

From all reviews they are yumm but just badly named. Not linking to the womans FB page but here is another bakery that got in trouble

From that first link:
    Other customers and friends also commented on the name.

"I actually had a friend's British fiance tell me it was offensive," Feinberg said.

I presume Feinburg is a Jewish name. Or is it really Sinn Féinburg? Eh? EH?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Ah it's in pretty bad taste, even if the cupcakes are delicious.

Seriously though, I don't get people being really offended, but I can understand people being a bit "wtf?!"

You are right. It was really a WTF moment but when I questioned it and all the Americans jumped in with their " oh it's ok dear I am Irish too so its fine" then I got offended... Irritated by the name offended by the ignorance and hypocracy of the people defending it...they got mighty annoyed when I suggested it was the same as twin towers cupcakes and told me " oh you are being ridiculous now" ..... I admit to posting that to see their reaction.But hey what more did I expect on a baking forum full of middle America stay at home moms.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Offended by an American, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Some people find drinking alcohol offensive. Do you worry what they think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

It would be too sweet for me, I prefer plain.

9/11 Hot plain cakes breaking up a bit, would be more my taste.

• Advertisement

BlueJohn wrote: »
    Yet, he has written an open letter to the British government regarding the Winter Olympics in homophobic (as a result of state policy) Russia... so it seems, despite that annoying quote, he isn't immune from taking offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dpat1l

Personally I think you're dead right.... I wouldn't so much take offence as I would be insulted at the ignorance of some people. If she was in the least bit "Irish through marriage" she would see where you're coming from and I think she should understand - definitely not try to justify it! It's a bit over the top if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Yet, he has written an open letter to the British government regarding the Winter Olympics in homophobic (as a result of state policy) Russia... so it seems, despite that annoying quote, he isn't immune from taking offence.

I think that`s slightly different to what he meant by his quote. One is about speech and the other is about openly homophobic laws.

h2005 wrote: »
    I think that`s slightly different to what he meant by his quote. One is about speech and the other is about openly homophobic laws.
    IMO his quote just meant stuff he doesn't agree other people being offended by... but when it comes to stuff he's offended by, it's fine to be offended. He's a hypocrite. Yeh I know, some people just look for offence, but other times people don't choose to be offended, they just are, and it's arrogant to dismiss it.

IMO his quote just meant stuff he doesn't agree other people being offended by... but when it comes to stuff he's offended by, it's fine to be offended. He's a hypocrite. Yeh I know, some people just look for offence, but other times people don't choose to be offended, they just are, and it's arrogant to dismiss it.

The context that quote was given in was about speech it wasnt about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I just had a google for it and had a wee read of the comments on the Irish car bomb cupcake.

Some lady called Catherine complained about the name and here was a reply to her.
    And “Catherine” wants to complain about people supporting the IRA go post it on their facebook page or something

lol, Muricans.

h2005 wrote: »
    The context that quote was given in was about speech it wasnt about anything else.
    Well I'd find it hard to believe he wouldn't take offence at homophobic or anti-semitic or anti intellectual speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I think we're too easily offended these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I think we're too easily offended these days.

How dare you think people are easily offended these days.

Well I'd find it hard to believe he wouldn't take offence at homophobic or anti-semitic or anti intellectual speech.

You`re probably right to be fair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement