Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob trying to build a PC, Help appreciated!

Options
  • 06-08-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

1. What is your budget? 1k - 1100 approx

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? mostly gaming and a bit of autoCAD

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no

5. Do you need a monitor? no

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No], 1920x1080 42" no

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? yes, mouse, mouse mat, keyboard, speakers, need wireless mouse +keyboard

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? yes eventualy

8. How can you pay? any way

9. When are you purchasing? as soon as possible

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Cork but will attempt to build myself!

I was introduced to the world of PC gaming around this time last year by a friend with a monster of a PC and after a couple of weeks of research I think it is about time I should ditch the laptop and have my own!
    So Basically im very new to all of this so if i make a few mistakes bear with me!
    I have the majority of the parts picked out but im just looking for your learned opinions and all that craic soo this is what i was thinking . . .

intel i5 4670k

Asus Maximus VI Hero

Gigabyte GTX 760

Corsair DDR3 (2x4Gb) pro red

Aerocool xpredator x3 white

Seagate 1tb Barracuda SATA

Corsair 750 w TX750

All prices are from Dabs and Komplett, where is the best place to buy from?
    Also is a 750w power supply a bit excessive for the build?
    I have already gone a small bit over budget and i havnt even gotten a DvD drive or periferals yet but if this build is good than i might scrape the money together!
    All advice welcome thanks in advance!! biggrin.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottd4

That asus MB is overpriced, the one I have linked is much better in terms of both overclocking and aftersale support. Also for your budget you might want to include a SSD it will help with not only the OS but in-game load times. The build for the core machine is €1032, this leaves a bit for buying a mouse and keyboard on amazon. If you want wireless you can buy an internal card for €10-20 or a usb dongle also off amazon.

650w is plenty for this build, unless you want to go for SLI graphics cards at a later stage, an upgrade here should run no more than €20.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-4670K Tray,3,4 GHZ, 6MB Cache, LGA 1150, VGA|€208.18
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€56.12
    MSI N760 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC, 2GB DDR5|€243.44
    Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s|€85.04
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Pro Silber PC3-12800U CL 9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600)|€67.87
    EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 650W ATX 2.3 80+Gold|€96.20
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD|€29.68
    Aerocool Xpredator X3 White Edition|€91.00
    ASRock Z87 Extreme4, Sockel 1150, ATX|€136.38
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1032.90

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

650w will actually be safely enough for 2 760s. Most certainly a 80+ gold one (which makes it total overkill).

I wouldn't put a Hyper 212 on Haswell at all, it pushes insane heat. 4.6ghz without HT on Dark Rock Pro 2 Dark Rock Pro 2 hits 78 degrees after a min in Cinebench, and that's with good case cooling.

I would grab a 650w Amazon Super Flower (~ 72 euro) if SLI in the future is a possibility, otherwise, a 500/530w 80 plus Bronze Bequeit unit will be plenty.

If getting Haswell, I'd get a HR 02 Macho minimum as a cooler, though I'd honestly recommend getting a 3570k/Hyper 212/Z77 Pro 3 build and pocket over 50 quid.

Nanoxia Deep Silence One is a very nice and queit case for the price, I'd grab it, and 2 to 3 140mm Nanoxia fans if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottd4

While the 500w is enough to power this rig, it is at the high end of the power delivery scale for that PSU. This will mean the fan will be constantly on and quite noisy, I always go for a higher specked PSU so my machine is silent.

As far as the cooler goes, haswell do run hot but I dont think someone who is overclocking for the first time is going to be pushing it to 4.6. That said you can never go wrong with a bigger heat sink, just remember to go for low profile ram if going for gumbi's recommendation.

scottd4 wrote: »
    While the 500w is enough to power this rig, it is at the high end of the power delivery scale for that PSU. This will mean the fan will be constantly on and quite noisy, I always go for a higher specked PSU so my machine is silent.

As far as the cooler goes, haswell do run hot but I dont think someone who is overclocking for the first time is going to be pushing it to 4.6. That said you can never go wrong with a bigger heat sink, just remember to go for low profile ram if going for gumbi's recommendation.
    No it's not. The rig won't pull close to 500w, even under synthetic load. I'm pretty sure the Macho accepts RAM with large heat spreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wouldn't go for a wireless keyboard and mouse personally. They are a pain in the arse. They usually aren't as good as wired mice for the same price, they need to be constantly charged or have batteries replaced and they have slight input lag compared to wired keyboard/mice.

You could save a bit towards other parts going for an ivy build. There's going to be very little in the difference performance wise for the extra costs. The build below has plenty of power and room to add a second 760 gtx when you need the power. If you don't plan on going dual cards you could go down to the asrock z77 pro 3 board and the 500w version of the corsair psu.

Do you need a dvd drive? You can install windows from a usb stick. Threw in a wireless card as well which you can drop if you don't need. All you need is a keyboard which you will have to get elsewhere as the German layout is different.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€202.90
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD|€29.68
    ASRock Z77 Extreme3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€107.09
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 WindForce 3X OC, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€235.50
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€60.71
    Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s|€85.04
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€56.12
    Nanoxia Deep Silence One Dark Anthracite, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€93.59
    Corsair CX Series Modular CX750M, 750W|€84.68
    Wavemaster MX-3+|€39.99
    Sharkoon Drakonia Gaming Laser Mouse|€24.37
    Sharkoon Fire Glider Gaming Mat|€6.99
    ASUS PCE-N15|€14.90
    2 x Nanoxia Deep Silence 140 - 1100|€17.34
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1077.89

-Edit- Change the ssd to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 aaroncork

Hello all and thanks for the replys and help!
    Just a couple of questions,
    The haswell i5 + compatible motherboard is only an extra €40 do you think its definately not worth it?
    Why the other SSD if it has the same memory but is more expensive?
    I have been hearing great things on here about that nanoxia case but is there any case of similar build quality/price that has a window in it? and i thought cases came with fans?
    Im still undecided to go with wireless keyboard/mouse or not but i have taken your points on board, just wondering do i need a reciever for them?
    Is there much difference between different RAM? eg Corsair vs Ripjaws?
    finally i have reading more and more into Graphics cards and it seems that the 760 and the 7950 perform almost identical but the 7950 has an extra GB of ram would this maybe be the better choice?

It's up to you if it's worth it. It's only a little faster than the ivy and produces more heat meaning you need a better cpu cooler to get the same clock speeds pushing the price up to about €50 more.

The samsung 840 evo is significantly faster than the normal 840's and has some nice features like rapid dram caching.

The Nanoxia is the best case in that price bracket but if you want something with a window how about this? It doesn't have half the features of the Nanoxia but it's still a good case. Have a look at what else is there.

Both cases come with 3 fans but more always helps. It's cheaper buying more fans now with your order than having to do it later anyway.

A wireless keyboard and mouse should come with their own receiver.

No difference between the ram.

The extra graphics ram makes 0 difference at the moment and probably won't for 1080p for a long time. The 7950 is the better card with overclocking though but it also costs more for one with a decent cooler. You can get free games with it though if you email HWVS and ask for the codes.

I think ill go with the 7950 alright but now the hard part is chosing the right one! i have heard good things about sapphires 7950 but in this review he slates it so i dont know what now!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284714-Sapphire-HD7950-3GB-Vapor-X-Review

any ideas whats the best 7950?

There is no best. Reviews are a poor indication of what is best as there will be variations in all cards and tests that will determine how high they overclock and how noisy they are. There are a lot of good choices that you can't go wrong with. The best value one on hwvs atm is the club3d series 13 for a measly €255. It's the same as the royalking just without some of the boxed extras, most of which you won't need anyway.

Very quiet cooler and a great overclocker.

BloodBath wrote: »
    There is no best. Reviews are a poor indication of what is best as there will be variations in all cards and tests that will determine how high they overclock and how noisy they are. There are a lot of good choices that you can't go wrong with. The best value one on hwvs atm is the club3d series 13 for a measly €255. It's the same as the royalking just without some of the boxed extras, most of which you won't need anyway.

Very quiet cooler and a great overclocker.
    And better than some of the more expensive alternatives. The Gigabyte one has a poor cooler (very loud), and the cards don't overclock as well.

• Advertisement

hey guys, right sorry about the delay in getting back to you, iv been researching/tearing my hair out trying to decide my components haha but im almost there :) just have a few more questions . . .

I have decided to go for haswell but i have heard that they produce much more heat than Ivy and that the 212 evo might not do the job? is this true and if so what is a good cheap cooler?

Also I have my mind set on the NZXT Phantom but the full tower is a bit expensive, the mid-tower is in my price range just wondering is there much disadvantages over the full? i know it will be cramped ect. but will it effect cooling? and component choice? i think the 7950 will fit in it alright ...

And Gumbi is the gigabyte card much worse than the club 3d? is it a bad card?

I wouldn't say much worse. Personally I've not read much about the Club3D card, but a few posters here praise it a lot. From what I've read about the Gigabyte card, it's voltge locked and overclocks poorly (very low ASIC scores these chips have) and the cooler is very loud (though not ineffective).

Either way, the Club3D is cheaper, so you can't lose ;)

just found this deal . . .

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-021-CS&tool=3

Seems cheap as the h100i is €105 on hvs!

Do you know anything about this cooler? does it fit the haswell 1150 socket and is it good for overclocking? will the cheaper 212 evo do? :/

-Edit- sorry it says it fits the haswell socket, and its a refurbished model but its still a bargain . . . is it a better option?

aaroncork wrote: »
    just found this deal . . .

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-021-CS&tool=3

Seems cheap as the h100i is €105 on hvs!

Do you know anything about this cooler? does it fit the haswell 1150 socket and is it good for overclocking? will the cheaper 212 evo do? :/

-Edit- sorry it says it fits the haswell socket, and its a refurbished model but its still a bargain . . . is it a better option?

It is a very good deal. That's a decent closed loop cooler. Fans are somewhat loud though.

It's a good deal alright. Some high end air cooler would probably outperform it in both temps and noise levels though.

If going with the Haswell I'd go for this.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/51758/Alpenf%C3%B6hn+K2+-+120+140mm.article

Advertisement