Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door guys selling "silk rugs from antique shop in Adare"

• 06-08-2013 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Guy called around to the folks place in a 4x4. Saying they were putting an extension on their antique shop in Adare, so were "giving away" some silk rugs as they had no room to store them. Folks told them no, not interested. Tried the hard sell, and moved on after that.

Obviously not giving them away for nothing...

Furniture van just passed up the road as well "Sheridan's furniture".

He was spinning a yarn about the antique shop as far as I'm concerned.

English accent. I am imaging they are travellers selling stock either before they go or come back from holidays!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

I don't know what the point of this thread is about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Has anyone else been offered silk rugs? How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nelly71

I just had a call to the door from a man selling Persiam Rugs because they are 'getting out of the business'. The van had 'Sheridan's Furniture' logo on the side. Just said i'd Google it and came across this thread. Don't know what is going on - nobody has tried to sell door-to-door here in Foynes like that for years - I got suspicious immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

simple answer is never buy at the door. maybe a person is honest, maybe not. definitely not a chance i'd take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

simple answer is never buy at the door. maybe a person is honest, maybe not. definitely not a chance i'd take.

+100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's the Sheridans from Rathkeale.
    Hardly a big deal naming them here as they are widely known throughout both the County and probably the Country.
    Probably back from the UK for the Christmas, so I'm sure they will be calling to many houses offering 'chape' Rugs and Carpets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

"chape" roaring laughing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

''chape' Rugs and Carpets........Boss!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Offer them a Euro and a few lead pellets! :-)

Gas bunch of lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not heard this scam in a while, used to get it a lot in the UK. The rugs can be bought cheap in bulk but half the reason for trying to sell them is to have an excuse to take a look at your place to see if its worth robbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Seamus B

Ah they're ok to be honest, they based in Rathkeale all year round, just haggle away, get the best price..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Nelly71 wrote: »
    I just had a call to the door from a man selling...
    ...- I got suspicious immediately.
    Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Had a guy a few years ago turn up at my door spinning me some yarn about fantastic large mirrors he was trying to get rid of because they were putting them in a local top hotel and he had 6 spare because he had come down from the north and needed a few in case of damages or if they wanted them .

I was yeh right, came out to look at these " fantastic mirrors" and boy they really were , I was quite amazed , I bargained him down to 150 each for a pair .

Feeling a little suspicious I asked around and it turned out.................................he was a guy from the north selling mirrors to a top hotel and had a few spare and didn't want to be carrying them all way back .

I had grabbed a bargain !!!!

People still say to me all these years later, ...." Wow nice mirror, bet that was expensive " Na........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Some creepy guy came to my door last week trying to sell me cheap yellow plastic skiing glasses telling me they were for driving. :rolleyes:

one more min of me telling him no and I would have sent out the dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 babymomma22

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Some creepy guy came to my door last week trying to sell me cheap yellow plastic skiing glasses telling me they were for driving. :rolleyes:

That same guy came to my house today on fr russell road trying to sell them really creepy wouldn't take no for an answer , my husband thinks there goin around checking out houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Agent_99 wrote: »

That same guy came to my house today on fr russell road trying to sell them really creepy wouldn't take no for an answer , my husband thinks there goin around checking out houses.

This guy has been to my house on a few occasions, very nice fella with a limp. I know he's unlikely to read this thread but being described as a creepy guy who is casing houses is a dreadful insult to him. I fail to see why he needs to be brought into this thread at all to be honest, he's an invalid who walks the streets of Limerick all day trying to make a few bob for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ricky007

Pity didn't read this thread before recently getting scammed by guy in a van saying he was selling off goods as was leaving for Australia next week and was off loading silk and wool rugs from his family furniture business which is closing down in Charleville. Felt uneasy when he came into our house. Agree- don't ever buy from a man in a van who just happens to be delivering furniture in the neighborhood. Even though the van had his family name on it and mobile phone as well as family name on his sales jacket, we now feel uneasy as we did buy; 400e for a rug. Have a house alarm thankfully as worrying a bit ever in case he was looking around to see what we have.
    Limerick
    March 2015
    seachto7 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ricky007 wrote: »
    Pity didn't read this thread before recently getting scammed by guy in a van saying he was selling off goods as was leaving for Australia next week and was off loading silk and wool rugs from his family furniture business which is closing down in Charleville. Felt uneasy when he came into our house. Agree- don't ever buy from a man in a van who just happens to be delivering furniture in the neighborhood. Even though the van had his family name on it and mobile phone as well as family name on his sales jacket, we now feel uneasy as we did buy; 400e for a rug. Have a house alarm thankfully as worrying a bit ever in case he was looking around to see what we have.
    Limerick
    March 2015

If you are concerned, suggest passing on your thoughts to the local Garda Station. The Gardai will welcome your call. Better safe than sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you are concerned, suggest passing on your thoughts to the local Garda Station. The Gardai will welcome your call. Better safe than sorry!

+1 Report this sort of thing with the vehicle reg details and time to the local Garda Station. The more info the Gards have on who is knocking on doors the more chance the dodgy ones will get caught.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    +1 Report this sort of thing with the vehicle reg details and time to the local Garda Station. The more info the Gards have on who is knocking on doors the more chance the dodgy ones will get caught.

The Garda are superb in getting these dodge dealers out of your area and ultimately off their patch !

Not only would you do yourself a favour but may also prevent an older neighbour from parting with their savings to some unscrupulous conman!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nelly71

@Ricky777, was the family name "Sheridans" by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Never buy anything from an unsolicited caller. Heck, I don't even answer my door most of the time unless I know the person or have arranged for someone to call to the house.

Never buy anything from an unsolicited caller. Heck, I don't even answer my door most of the time unless I know the person or have arranged for someone to call to the house.

Same here!

Some of the more mature folk in my neighbourhood are too trusting. They are from a different generation when it was considered impolite not go answer door.

Unfortunately they are easy prey for unscrupulous chancers, selling rugs or offering to fix loose roof tiles or gutters.!!!!!!!

As soon as I see a van with shady creatures, I ring the Garda straight away. To date the Gardai have confirmed my suspicions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

This guy has been to my house on a few occasions, very nice fella with a limp. I know he's unlikely to read this thread but being described as a creepy guy who is casing houses is a dreadful insult to him. I fail to see why he needs to be brought into this thread at all to be honest, he's an invalid who walks the streets of Limerick all day trying to make a few bob for himself.

If it's the same guy, he sold my wife and daughter sunglasses 2 years ago. That afternoon the CE marking peeled off and within a week they both fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bigears1

Just now in Wexford town
    Just had a call from a guy with a van with markings for Sheridans Furniture selling silk rugs as they are closing down
    look like the same set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

bigears1 wrote: »
    Just now in Wexford town
    Just had a call from a guy with a van with markings for Sheridans Furniture selling silk rugs as they are closing down

He might be good for a few rhino horns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

bigears1 wrote: »
    Just now in Wexford town

Yeah, just had him here in West Dublin, his shop is closing down & had great bargains. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Guy called to our house today just outside of Naas, someone did think it was a good idea to buy a rug, unfortunately. They dont think it was Sheridans though. Suppose I'll have to keep an extra vigilant eye out for the next while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Moycullen

Warning!! There is a white van going door to door selling silk rugs in the moycullen area. The guy pushed his way into the hall to show me a rug and tried to make his way into our sitting room. Travellers!

151 C reg, I didn't catch the rest.

Please post more information if you see this van 🙁!

Advertisement