Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door guys selling "silk rugs from antique shop in Adare"

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

One arm of the organisation or other has been at my door every day for how many weeks, powerwashing your house, powerwashing your driveway, glean your gutters, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

One arm of the organisation Ethnic Group or other has been at my door every day for how many weeks, powerwashing your house, powerwashing your driveway, glean your gutters, etc etc.
    I corrected that post for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I corrected that post for you :)

I had one of the 'ethnic group' 'selling homewares missus' last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's no good reason for buying anything being sold door to door.
    It's either defective, shoddy or acquired under dubious circumstances.
    Even if it isn't there's no guarantee with the goods or services.

When will people ever learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

My thoughts exactly. If they are calling to a particular area repeatedly, at least 1 person in that area must be buying from them or at least showing interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We get the same guys in Newport coming around every so often in a rather beat up looking white van selling rugs, furniture, mattresses(recently) claiming they're a shop in Ballysimon. I know of people in Ballysimon who don't have a shop but do have beat up white vans but I digress................

Anyway, they come around because people DO buy from them. I saw a neighbour take a 3 piece suite off them. He asked me the other week "interested in a Mattress?" and when I pointed out the mattress sticking out of the boot of my car(just bought) "but you could return that one and buy mine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Yeah I do believe that is the main objective but if they can kill 2 birds with one stone then why not - sell some dodgy stuff, rob some stuff.

I just wonder why some areas get them repeatedly and I have only encountered them once in 10 years of living in Raheen and 2 years of living in a rural area.

Maybe I just give off a whiff of not having any valuables! :D

EDIT - maybe it depends on the risk factor, a good few of my current neighbours would have firearms, others are/were members of AGS. Hard to know what draws them to an area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Scoping properties is indeed one of the reasons they call door to door selling stuff.

I'll bet you that they will never ring the doorbell - instead they will give a loud knock on the door. That's how they check if the alarm is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I just wonder why some areas get them repeatedly
    I'd say the lack of alarms, and how much is visible through the front window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ring the Garda and try remember details and if possible get a photo of them

....... wrote: »

Maybe something from Column A and something for Column B...

Berty wrote: »

Anyway, they come around because people DO buy from them. I saw a neighbour take a 3 piece suite off them. He asked me the other week "interested in a Mattress?" and when I pointed out the mattress sticking out of the boot of my car(just bought) "but you could return that one and buy mine"

God loves a tryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paul_Ri

I realise this is an old thread but just had a visit from a guy in a sheridans van, I live in the midlands. He rang the bell and knocked incessantly on the door until we answered. He immediately asked do we have dogs and gave some story about rugs and furniture. Just said no. But it was very strange and honestly very suspicious, looked exactly like someone casing out houses to see if people were home and if they had security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Paul_Ri wrote: »
    I realise this is an old thread but just had a visit from a guy in a sheridans van, I live in the midlands. He rang the bell and knocked incessantly on the door until we answered. He immediately asked do we have dogs and gave some story about rugs and furniture. Just said no. But it was very strange and honestly very suspicious, looked exactly like someone casing out houses to see if people were home and if they had security.

Always give the guards a call and let them know. If you have a reg number thats even better then they can work out who is working the area.

Occasionally you'll get the odd guard that doesn't give a toss but ignore that call then anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I remeber when they called to my folks place, and my mother fobbed them off, and yer man says something like "can I speak to the man of the house..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KeiferF

Just had these guys call - apparently the business is now in Nama - young fella is off to Australia - but they have a few original rugs left after selling the last of stock in the RDS

Beware as they doing the rounds in Dublin now

At lunchtime today I saw a Transit pull out of Kilmurray Lodge with signage that said either Oriental Rugs or Oriental Carpets, can't fully remember. There was some address in Charleville on the side.

They might be fine but being honest they looked a little dodgy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mc Fadden

These guys (Sheridan Oriental Rugs) have been on our road in North Dublin at least three times since mid September. Now, in a country this size, what brings them here so often? Having compared notes with neighbours, they seem only to bang on a window when there's no car in the driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

A van with "Sheridan's furniture" on the side nearly ran me off the M7 there 6 months ago.

Beeped and just got obscene gestures from the knacker contents of the van.

- Tell them you've enough rugs and keep an eye on your home security if they've been nosing around I'd say.

Advertisement