Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security deposit

Options
  • 06-08-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I paid a security deposit on an apartment over a week ago, one month's rent. I haven't signed a lease yet as the landlord/letting agent has been slow to get the apartment cleaned up and ready to go.

Today I got offered a nicer apartment for equal rent and I am wondering what would happen if I decided to back out of the apartment I've paid the deposit for. When I paid the deposit I received a form saying that if I decide not to take the apartment I will get the deposit back "minus administration and legal costs".

Does anyone have any idea what these would amount to? If they are going to be the bulk of the cost I won't bother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I suspect youll get the deposit back minus administration and legal costs so! Best thing to do is ask the agent what these costs amount to first, and take it from there. Im not really sure what legal costs they could possibly mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Sure, I just don't really want to ask the letting agent about it until I'm sure I don't want it! Just wondering if anyone else has ever been in the same situation and how much of their deposit they got back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It will likely depend on how long it'll take them to find another tenant- if over a month, they may want to keep all of the deposit.
    Did they give you a move in date? If they did, and it passed, you will have a good chance of getting the deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

silja wrote: »
    It will likely depend on how long it'll take them to find another tenant- if over a month, they may want to keep all of the deposit.
    Did they give you a move in date? If they did, and it passed, you will have a good chance of getting the deposit back.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that. There was no move-in date set in stone. The apartment has been empty for 2 weeks now and I suppose it's feasible that it could take them up to 2 weeks to find another tenant... Maybe I'll just stick with it.

Advertisement