Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes question - please help (majorly confused person here!)

Options
  • 06-08-2013 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

OK so here's the deal:

I have the most up to date version of iTunes on my Windows laptop. It has an entire music library and two peoples iPhone's plus my own backed up to it.

I'm changing laptops from Windows - MAC in a couple of days.

1) How do I 'move' my iTunes library from my old laptop to my new MacBook?

2) Can I permanently delete my current iTunes from my old laptop as I am selling it and I want everything cleaned off it.

I have no idea 'if' I can do either of the above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Anybody? I've done a few Google searches but I don't know anything about Homesharing or Hard drives...Is it really a difficult process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

you might have better luck in the Mac forum mate:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

1. Quit iTunes.
    2. Locate your external hard drive.

Mac: On the desktop or Finder sidebar.

Windows: In My Computer

3. Locate your iTunes folder:

By default, the iTunes folder is located in:

Mac OS X: /Users/username/Music

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\

Windows Vista or Windows 7: \Users\username\My Music\

4. If the iTunes folder is not in the default location listed above then you can find where the iTunes folder is located by following these instructions:

a. Open your iTunes Preferences:

Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.

Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences.

b. Click Advanced.
    c. The location of your iTunes folder will be listed in iTunes Media folder location box, as pictured below.

i1.jpg

5. Drag the iTunes folder to your external hard drive. This can take a while if you have a lot of items.

i2.jpg

6. When the transfer is complete, your iTunes Library will have been successfully copied to your external hard drive.

Restoring your iTunes Library backup

When you need to restore your backed up iTunes Library from your external hard drive to your computer, follow these steps:

1. Quit iTunes.
    Mac: On the Desktop or Finder sidebar.

3. Drag the iTunes folder (backed up earlier) from your external hard drive to whatever location you desire on your internal hard drive. It is recommended that you choose the default location for the iTunes folder, which is:

Windows XP
    : \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\

4. Open iTunes while holding down the Option key (Mac) or Shift key (Windows).

5. In the resulting dialog, click the Choose Library button.

i3.jpg

6. Select the iTunes folder you just moved to the internal hard drive.

7. Click Choose (Mac OS X) or Open (Windows) and then choose the iTunes Library file inside.

After following these steps, iTunes will open and your iTunes Library will be restored.

-

Source: Apple KB

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

1. Quit iTunes.

Mac: On the desktop or Finder sidebar.

3. Locate your iTunes folder:

By default, the iTunes folder is located in:

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\

4. If the iTunes folder is not in the default location listed above then you can find where the iTunes folder is located by following these instructions:

a. Open your iTunes Preferences:

Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.

Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences.

b. Click Advanced.
    c. The location of your iTunes folder will be listed in iTunes Media folder location box, as pictured below.

i1.jpg

5. Drag the iTunes folder to your external hard drive. This can take a while if you have a lot of items.

i2.jpg

6. When the transfer is complete, your iTunes Library will have been successfully copied to your external hard drive.

Restoring your iTunes Library backup

When you need to restore your backed up iTunes Library from your external hard drive to your computer, follow these steps:

1. Quit iTunes.
    Mac: On the Desktop or Finder sidebar.

3. Drag the iTunes folder (backed up earlier) from your external hard drive to whatever location you desire on your internal hard drive. It is recommended that you choose the default location for the iTunes folder, which is:

Windows XP
    : \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\

4. Open iTunes while holding down the Option key (Mac) or Shift key (Windows).

5. In the resulting dialog, click the Choose Library button.

i3.jpg

6. Select the iTunes folder you just moved to the internal hard drive.

7. Click Choose (Mac OS X) or Open (Windows) and then choose the iTunes Library file inside.

After following these steps, iTunes will open and your iTunes Library will be restored.

-

Source: Apple KB

Thank you very much for taking the time to put up that answer but I got lost at Windows 7 - MyMusic File. It's a yellow folder that says iTunes (what do I do from there?). I can't see an external hard-drive folder anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thank you very much for taking the time to put up that answer but I got lost at Windows 7 - MyMusic File. It's a yellow folder that says iTunes (what do I do from there?). I can't see an external hard-drive folder anywhere?

You need to connect an external drive to your Windows machine first and copy your iTunes folder to that external drive (this will be your standalone backup).

Connect that same external drive to your Mac and copy your iTunes folder from it to your Mac.

Open iTunes while holding down the Option key (Mac)

Locate and select the iTunes folder you just moved to the internal hard drive on your MAC.

Click Choose and then choose the iTunes Library file inside.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

You need to connect an external drive to your Windows machine first and copy your iTunes folder to that external drive (this will be your standalone backup).

Connect that same external drive to your Mac and copy your iTunes folder from it to your Mac.

Open iTunes while holding down the Option key (Mac)

Locate and select the iTunes folder you just moved to the internal hard drive on your MAC.

Click Choose and then choose the iTunes Library file inside.

I'll consider this later, thanks. What is your opinion on the Windows Migration Assit - also I have a relatively small library. I know this sounds ridiculous but if I made a list of the songs and apps I want to keep could I just download them again onto a new iTunes or would I lose a,l my contacts and text messages and emails etc?

Advertisement