Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc Headphones

Options
  • 06-08-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Im sick of buying headphones with a mic for the pc. I have gone through 3 sets in the last year alone. The joints seem to always damage easily which makes the sound crackly and it eventually goes altogether. The mic never worked on my most recent pair & im not sure if this is because it was a USB connection.

As far as I know my motherboard has a built in sound card. Its an Asus P5QL Pro motherboard. The headset im thinking of purchasing is the Plantronics GameCom 780. http://www.dabs.ie/products/plantronics-gamecom-780-gaming-headset-7ZH2.html

Can anyone tell me if this headset is compatible with my PC/motherboard ( I can post specs if needed ).

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

As far as I know my motherboard has a built in sound card.

What's it got to do with your onboard sound card? This headset connects via USB, meaning it's got its own built-in audio device.
    Im sick of buying headphones with a mic for the pc.

Oh, and it's got a microphone joint. ;)

SASU5rj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Torqay wrote: »
    What's it got to do with your onboard sound card? This headset connects via USB, meaning it's got its own built-in audio device.

Oh, and it's got a microphone joint. ;)

SASU5rj.jpg

I didnt realise the headphones had its own built-in audio device.

Should have mentioned I want a headset with a mic.

Thanks Torgay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's the headset to go for anyway. They are top notch.

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's the headset to go for anyway. They are top notch.
    I went for the cheaper option. http://www.dabs.ie/products/plantronics-gamecom-380-gaming-headset--ear-cup--7ZH1.html?src=3

I plan to do some pc upgrading if or when GTA 5 is released for the pc so 30 euro incl del aint bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I went for the cheaper option.

When you buy cheap, you get cheap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

If you want something cheaper that isn't rubbish, you're better off buying an older headset that's still for sale new on the market: http://www.dabs.ie/products/creative-hs-800-fatal1ty-pro-series-gaming-headset-4JCM.html
    That would have been considered higher end like 6 years ago and they still sell them

The 780's are leagues ahead of the 380's but they aren't bad for the price.

I'd sooner just get a good pair from the offset instead of having to upgrade the cheap ones in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

For gaming, any set that sounds half decent would do really.

For music... Thats an ENTIRELLY different matter.

I would argue the opposite. Decent headphones + sound card will have more of an impact on gaming and movies than music unless you have a beast of a sound system.

Talking about 3 dimension 5.1 or 7.1 sound as opposed to stereo sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

Surround sound systems would not count since this thread is purely about headphones. I usually find that when playing a game, sound becomes more of a supplementary source since you're focusing more on what's going on the screen than anything else, especially with fast paced FPSes such as Unreal Tournament etc.

For movies, I simply would not wear headphones. The stereo separation is often exaggerated when wearing headphones and I find it can be a determinant to the overall experience at times.

I would also argue that getting a dedicated sound card for the most part is useless outside the field of music production or any heavy duty audio tasks. Unless I want a surround setup or the likes of EAX, on board sound has caught up to the point that its usable for gaming.

• Advertisement

It would count as the Plantronics 780's are 7.1 headphones. Emulated or not it's still 3d sound. This can be very important depending on the games you are playing. Good headphones and sound can help you pinpoint exactly where a sound is coming from in a game. This can give you a competitive edge in games where sound is important. Most multiplayer fps games fit into this category.

While I agree that getting a dedicated sound card isn't essential unless you have a sound system to compliment it there is no doubt that it is better even with good headphones.

Im sure the sound quality on the headphones I got will do me. The last game I played is BF3 and I haven't played it in about 10 months. The headphones will do me for the odd chat over msn or yahoo messenger. I don't watch movies on the pc, maybe the odd programme on rte player or a doc I downloaded.

Polar Ice - I didnt cop those headphones:o I was in a hurry to order. Expected delivery is the 13th.

Advertisement