Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this!? Suitable for small front garden !!

• 06-08-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I see this in a garden today .. What is it ? I reckon it's there a long time ... Something unusual like that is what I m after for an area at the front of my house that I want something like it to grow ..
    See photo of plant
    See photo of area front of. House where purple stone us where i wanna put it ! Thks

Thks
    Paddy

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

That is Pampas grass they can get very big although there are smaller cultivars available that would be ok for that spot, be aware that the leaves are able to cause cuts kinda like that maram grass that you find in sand dunes so put it back as far as you can. There are ones with pink heads rather than the common white/cream not my cup of tea but its up to you!

Usless information factoid: back in the 70's having a pampas grass in your front garden was a secret sign that you were a swinger! not sure if that is still so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

That is Pampas grass they can get very big although there are smaller cultivars available that would be ok for that spot, be aware that the leaves are able to cause cuts kinda like that maram grass that you find in sand dunes so put it back as far as you can. There are ones with pink heads rather than the common white/cream not my cup of tea but its up to you!

Usless information factoid: back in the 70's having a pampas grass in your front garden was a secret sign that you were a swinger! not sure if that is still so.

Like the idea of the pink head!

What would you think. This see pic for the space I have at front? 14 euro! Seems very cheap !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

The one in your picture looks enormous, you would be looking for one of the dwarf pampas grasses for that space, sorta 3-4 foot wide and the flowers at about 6 foot at full size. They grow quite quickly so don't worry about the size of them in the garden centres. the full size ones would fill your front garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hi Paddy -- pampas grass can be very nice in a large area where they can spread and be seen -- and do no harm. Those leaves can be like little razors and will certainly (in time) cause a bit of damage to your other plants, you and anyone else that comes near them :) Mountainy man is right about choosing smaller cultivars - if you really have your heart set on one.
    Have you thought about something similar like any of the miscanthus, calmagrostis or other grasses (or maybe a bamboo?) The flower heads are not as spectacular but not too bad either and you can get a great range of grey, green, yellow and red foliage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

having a pampas grass in your front garden was a secret sign that you were a swinger! .

Thought it was a Bamboo, So that's where I went wrong! :P

OP
    Is it a Dogwood of some sort in the "welcome" pot, you could plant that in this space, you are going to have excellent shelter and privacy when the laurals grow as it is without putting a Pampas grass there ... I am biased against this grass just to admit

jezko wrote: »
    Thought it was a Bamboo, So that's where I went wrong! :P

OP
    Is it a Dogwood of some sort in the "welcome" pot, you could plant that in this space, you are going to have excellent shelter and privacy when the laurals grow as it is without putting a Pampas grass there ... I am biased against this grass just to admit

Just saw you'd post now ya that plant in the pot just died off I had taken it from an old garden and put it into that pot ... ! Thks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Honestly Paddy I would not put pampas grass in that space, certainly not the one in the photograph, they really grow huge, it would swamp that area. Also you have to cut down the flowering fronds in the autumn or they look very scruffy in the winter, not an inspiring job!

looksee wrote: »
    Honestly Paddy I would not put pampas grass in that space, certainly not the one in the photograph, they really grow huge, it would swamp that area. Also you have to cut down the flowering fronds in the autumn or they look very scruffy in the winter, not an inspiring job!

Thks a mill. I would've to get a nice flowery bush type plant for middle of stone area ... Something colourful ... It could grow a few feet up and out without causing any difficulty ... Any suggestions !
    Thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My neighbour has a pampas in a tiny front garden area - and it's gone HUGE!! They've been out with shears trying to cut back the lethally sharp/pointy leaves, as they're a danger to the kids and passers by.

If you can get a guaranteed small variety, then maybe - but I seriously wouldn't be going for a full-size one unless it's in a big open area.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    My neighbour has a pampas in a tiny front garden area - and it's gone HUGE!! They've been out with shears trying to cut back the lethally sharp/pointy leaves, as they're a danger to the kids and passers by.

If you can get a guaranteed small variety, then maybe - but I seriously wouldn't be going for a full-size one unless it's in a big open area.

Thks a mill. I would've to get a nice flowery bush type plant for middle of stone area ... Something colourful ... It could grow a few feet up and out without causing any difficulty ... Any suggestions !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

In the placed where the neighbours have their giant pampas monster, I have a camellia.... it's not a very nice one, the fella doing the garden up got it for me, but you can get gorgeous ones that grow to a decent size and have beautiful pink flowers - Donation, I think is one of them. They look really spectacular for a few weeks, and then just look evergreen the rest of the time. Not sure if that would do it for you, they're not very "showy", but I love them.

ETA
    http://www.greatplantpicks.org/plantlists/view/267

(I have no affiliation to whatever website that is, just wanted to show you a pic of the flowers!)

The other thing is that this needs acid (I think!) soil, which isn't very common.... but my mother had a fabulous one of these in our non-acidic front garden, she just dug a giant hole, lined it, and filled it with the proper type soil. The bush was there, looking fabulous, for about 30 years until we sold the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

If you like grass type plants Calamagrostis Overdam would suit that kind of space. It has a neat upright habit only gets to about 3-4ft high and 1.5/2ft wide, moves in the slightest of breezes and copes and with a bit of shade. The leaves are variegated green with a white band on the outside, it has a small bit of pink/purple which will pick up the color of the gravel. The flowers are also pinkish/purple and turn to a golden color around this time and last through the winter.

Maybe have a look at Pennisetums too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Certainly wouldn't put pampas grass there, if you decide in a few years time that you're tired of them, they can be the devil to get rid of. Maybe a mix of Potentilla and Cistus.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Certainly wouldn't put pampas grass there, if you decide in a few years time that you're tired of them, they can be the devil to get rid of. Maybe a mix of Potentilla and Cistus.

Went with these guys in the end ! Like the colour ! Don't know if suitable or not ! They can grow a meter apart I believe so if there two do that and I keep em trimmed I will be happy !
    Any views appreciated !
    Paddy

Nice colours -- and liking them is the whole point of it all :)

Leave the dead flower heads on the plants until new buds/leaves appear in mid/late spring. They protect the new growth from frost etc.

Best of luck with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Went with these guys in the end ! Like the colour ! Don't know if suitable or not ! They can grow a meter apart I believe so if there two do that and I keep em trimmed I will be happy !
    Any views appreciated !
    Paddy

They look to be quite close together and the red one could be a bit further from the path, although the scale of the plot is hard to judge, they will grow about 6ftx6ft. Bear in mind that the blue one may not be blue in a few years.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Nice colours -- and liking them is the whole point of it all :)

Leave the dead flower heads on the plants until new buds/leaves appear in mid/late spring. They protect the new growth from frost etc.

Best of luck with them.
    Ah your very good many thanks ...
    When spring comes so I will just cut the stem just under the dead flower ?
    Is that the same with roses ? I see lots of new buds on my roses now .. I am not sure how to "dead head" is it basically just cut under the dead flower or should you cut a little further down the stem !?
    Thkspaddy

bmaxi wrote: »
    They look to be quite close together and the red one could be a bit further from the path, although the scale of the plot is hard to judge, they will grow about 6ftx6ft. Bear in mind that the blue one may not be blue in a few years.

Garden shop. Said a meter apart is ok it's about that maybe little more .. I want them to grow into each other ... I don't mind if they come into path a bit ... It's a big driveway .. 6x6 is a bit bigger than I thought ! 4 or 5 feet ideal ... Will play it by ear anyhow Thks for your post !

Paddy

When spring comes so I will just cut the stem just under the dead flower ?
    Is that the same with roses ? I see lots of new buds on my roses now .. I am not sure how to "dead head" is it basically just cut under the dead flower or should you cut a little further down the stem !?
    Thkspaddy

Just cut the dead heads off down to where the flower has withered. If you want to prune it for shape etc try to do it in the early autumn.
    Roses can be dead headed back to a few buds under the dead flower -unless you have a variety e.g. rugosa where the hips are part of the attraction of the plant itself.
    There are great videos on youtube that show how you can prune and deadhead, but I do remember a study in the RHS years ago where one rose bed was carefully pruned and meticulously dead headed and a similar one was cut with a hedge trimmer. There wasn't an enormous difference apart from some rough edges on the trimmed ones, so I'd never get too worried about it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement