Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice pubs around the Aviva

Options
  • 06-08-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi there, my friends are coming for the Liverpool v Celtic game on Sat.
    I'd like to bring them to decent pubs around the Aviva stadium
    -old man pubs with character -no Ra singing tbh.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Beggars Bush is probably the place to go, it'll be packed out before the game though. Also The Bath House which is only newly opened might be an option. Both very close to the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Last time I was at the Aviva I ended up in the Old Schoolhouse Hotel bar, was packed the three days we stayed and mostly locals in their mid 20's to mid 30's. Great atmosphere there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

They'll all be packed out on the day. The Bush is probably the best value

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

There are plenty of choices. I would say 4 main options:

Ballsbridge/Baggot street - some great trad pubs here like Smyths, the 51 and the wellington. but also some of dublin's nicest bars such as the Dylan, the Waterloo and Searsons. The waterloo and searsons in particular are amongst the best bars in the city I would say. Also plenty of food options in the area.

Ballsbridge village- again some really good pubs here and a little closer to the stadium, crowes, mary macs and Bellamys are good pubs. I personally really like the Den, which is in between Ballsbridge village and the Baggot street strip.

Beggars Bush- some great pubs here too. The beggar bush itself is a great pub and slatterys on the main crossroads is very popular with the google staff from Grand canal docks nearby. the chop house pub is great for food and as someone mentioned, the Bath pub in Beggars pub is a cool hangout, popular with Leinster players. some good food places too, especially juniors, farmer browns and Paulies pizza.

Grand Canal Docks - little further away from the ground but still only a 20 minute stroll. some trendy bars such as the Marker rooftop bar and Ely, café Bar H etc. some great trad pubs too like the ferryman right on the river front and Becky Morgans.

There are also some good pubs in Ringsend village and Sandymount village.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Less packed options on the Ringsend side:
    • Oarsman, South Dock in Ringsend. 5 minute walk along the Dodder to the stadium. No bad elements in either.
    • Vintage, John Clarkes in Irishtown. Same distance to the stadium, decent outside drinking areas, both serve food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

Thanks everyone! They've been noted!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

The Ferryman, at Samuel Beckett bridge. It's about a 15 minute walk to the stadium. There's always a good crowd in there.

Nice bar but the bar men can be rude as f*ck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Smyths on Haddington road is a great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

anncoates wrote: »
    Smyths on Haddington road is a great pub.

Only the bar, lounge has no character

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Not a fan of the 51; feels very plastic and lacking in atmosphere.

Beggar's Bush; meh.

Ferryman is very good but wouldn't consider it 'around the Aviva'.

Bath; too crowded, even relative to general match day busyness.

Baggot Street and Ballsbridge pubs are my preference for a rugby or football game in the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

The Chop House on Bath Avenue operates as a pub on match day and tends to be a bit quieter as people think its a restaurant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

simonsays1 wrote: »
    Hi there, my friends are coming for the Liverpool v Celtic game on Sat.
    I'd like to bring them to decent pubs around the Aviva stadium
    -old man pubs with character -no Ra singing tbh.

Thanks
    Wrong game to be going to if you want to avoid 'ra singing...I'm sure though there will be a few pubs full of English fans if you want to avoid the Irish rebel stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What stand are you in? That will determine what area you'll drink in before hand. They'll all be wedged, I wouldn't be too worried about the character of the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Is the lansdowne rugby club bar open? Used to be the last decent pint before the aviva...also your last shot at a normal toilet if you have any serious business to conduct pre-match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

uch wrote: »
    Only the bar, lounge has no character

Like the bar better but the lounge is still grand imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

Wrong game to be going to if you want to avoid 'ra singing...I'm sure though there will be a few pubs full of English fans if you want to avoid the Irish rebel stuff

Very true!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Another vote here for Smyth's on Haddington Road - always a decent pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColmBr

Landsdown RFC is normally open on matchdays. nice sport and right beside the aviva.
    anybody got any spare tickets for sale or know somebody selling some?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I heard Beggars Bush was actually closed for the match?

Advertisement